No announcement yet.

Topamax Vs Neurontin – differences, similarities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well… I one used to think that it has been just a garbage stuff, however the doctor swore by its amazing effects that it should have on the pain and especially on the migraines…. But that’s my doctor.

Comment

I know what other people were saying about these things making you not feel fine and the fact that they make your brain slowed down because I one have discovered that I have these effects as well. I have found that my mental processes were really slowed down by both these things. Also, for me, gabapentin has caused me to have a bit of weight gain and in addition to that, I have also felt as if I’m in a dopey stupor all of the time. and this has been happening only from a dose of 300 mg of it, my doctor has recommended me to try to go way up to 1200 and somewhat which, I guess it is obvious, I did not believe in just quit after a week like that. That’s the unpleasant experience I have had with gabapentin but on the other hand we are having the Topamax which has caused me to forget a lot of things, and I mean a lot of basic things, such as for example to forget where my mother lives (her address) and generally I was finding it hard to remember the absolutely basic things and although I perfectly realized that this is not normal and I knew that something is wrong – I wanted to panic, however my brain still stayed that way. needless to mention that I just couldn’t continue this way so I went back to the neurologist and he has told me that if I went off it then it would get better what you have done. In addition, I knew that Topamax can make you experience weight loss and that is why, I have been really hoping that it is going to make me lose back all that weight that I gained in the time that I have been using the gabapentin, however this has not happened, unfortunately, now I still have that weight on me that I put on…. To be honest, I am frustrated that I did managed to put on the weight that I was supposed to put because of using a drug, but I did not managed to get it down in the time that I have been using a drug that was supposed to help me lose weight…

Comment

Hello there, I see that this thread appeared quite some days ago, however I just found it so i decided to post something as I have been using Topiramate and that’s why I have a bit of experience with it. I have been using it at 150 mg 2 times a day, 300 mg a day per total. The cartilage has been worn out at the base of my right thumb and has left me with a really really bad pain, stabbing and really sharp, and that is the reason that I am using it for and so, this has been the reason why I have been using it. to be honest, I personally do consider this thing to be some kind of a miracle drug due to the fact that it has done a really good job in keeping under the control those sharp stabbing pains I was getting, of course I still can feel it so I hasn’t taken away all of them, however definitely most of them. I am hoping that I could somehow deal with it myself as I am putting off surgery for as long as it is possible due to the fact that I really really need all of the functionality of my right hand since I am right hander. Plus to that, I am simply being scared of any type of surgeries so as I said, I am going to try my best to deal without any type of surgery. In addition to that, I have not had all those strange effects that other people have posted here that they suffered from. I mean, I have had absolutely no changes in the way I am feeling or thinking, I have not had any problems of ‘blacking out’, loss of memory or loss of appetite, no weight gain or loss, no tiredness and I was always fully aware of what I am doing, never slowed down my brain or thinking processes etc. generally I had no other side effects and I am overall feeling pretty much the same as I did before I have started to use it, only except for the pain which is greatly diminished. I can guess that I am quite a lucky person that I have not got any side effects and I did got the pain relief, so I am very and very thankful for both these things: no side effects with pain relief, best I could get out of it! if I could wish something I would wish everyone else to get same experience as I did.

Comment

Hi Prow, I am just curious about one thing… I have noticed that you were talking about those medications and everything that has happened in the past tense which means, to my understanding, that all of that happened but it doesn’t happen anymore? I mean, you have taken those drugs back then and you have got all those effects back then? Well I am just really curious, after reading your post, how, generally, you are doing right now? the reason I ask is that I am working as a nurse and I have got punched pretty badly in the side of my head by a dementia patient, this has happened approximately 4 or so months ago. So well… the bad thing is that since then, I have had a concussion, I started having some vision issues, some very bad severe migraines as well as sever photophobia as well… it is obvious that I have addressed these problems and so, I am currently visiting an opthamologist as well as a neurologist who are having me on the amitriptyline (I guess you know what’s this) as well as on generic topomax – topiramate. So well, the topiramate it is currently up to 50 mg taken 2 times a day (100 mg a day, in the past I have been only on 50 mg a day, once a day, but then he has said that I need some extra 50 mg in the morning, as a morning dose, this happened 3 weeks ago when I had my last appointment with him), and my neurologist has flat out said it that he is not going to increase my dose that I take any more higher than this. I can say that since I am on it, my migraines did have decreased in both the frequency I used to get them and in intensity as well, but the problem that I am now having is that since I have been added with the morning dose, I am feeling somewhat sedated after that dose in the morning and my memory it is just disappearing. So, as a conclusion what I can say? Here I am now, using a medication that it is finally starting to help to deal with the migraines in making them appear less often and making them less severe, but for that I have to pay with my brain which is making my brain be dead…. And now, after I have read your post I got really curious, I really want to find out what are you doing right now, how are you deal with those migraines when you are not taking Topamax anymore (or as I said, that’s what I understood from reading your post). In a week I am going to go back visiting my neurologist and I am really really intrigued in finding out a solution to this problem of mine. I am having a workman’s comp case manager coming to my doctor’s appointments either, wanting me to go back to work, however I just can’t because I am really down right now as I am not even able to drive in the bright sunlight right now which is why, since it’s summer, I start being like a night crawler as I mostly get out from my house at night now. to be honest, I really want to be able to go back to work now as these last 4 months after that accident they were absolutely awful and I am generally in a very miserable life right now. in fact, I am not asking for help only Prow… if anybody is reading this and is having any alternatives or suggestions to the Topamax, then I beg you to help me. thanks in advance for everything and wishing you all the best.

Comment

Hey there everyone, I did have tried those medications you are talking here, I have been on both of them Neurontin/Gabapentin and on Topomax for my Essential Tremor. However, it is not only that none of them has worked, but both of them has given me some really bad side effects that I could barely live with and in addition to that, they have also made my essential tremor even worse than it was before I have taken them. Gabapentin also can be used for the pain from as much as I know. But ultimately, yes, everyone is different making us all respond completely differently to medications and that is why, if I would be you, a person who has not ever used any of them but the doc is recommending to try them, then I would, and that’s even if I would see such a post as mine or other people who said that had side effects and made my essential tremor worse. That’s because this is my own experience with them, this surely does not mean that everyone is going to have such experience. It might very well work for you. So regardless of what you read online, just remember, try it yourself first, or at least, as I said, that’s what I personally would do. I would try a medication just in case it did work for me. it could NOT work for your mother, father, sister, brother and best friend, but it could work for you. And vice versa. What works for one doesn’t mean it would work for another. As for someone like me with essential tremor, there are not very much of medication options, which I personally have tried all of them, however I have found that the side effects were just way too bad for me to resist them and again, both of those things, at least for me, made my tremor be even worse. Hope for some that’s gonna be different.

Comment

As many people here, I also have used both of these medications… I have been started with the Topamax which has been given to me by a neurologist for my nerve pain that I used to have in my neck and in my shoulder areas, and therefore these pains have been leading me to have some extremely bad headaches that were intolerable, especially since I was getting all those pains at once. Sadly and unfortunately for me, it has not helped me a bit… I instead have got a better relief from using the Fiorial. The Gabapentin has been given to me later by my pain med doctor for the nerve pain that I have been having in buttocks which has been all running down my leg basically sciatica. This thing did has worked well, but it did worked for only approximately a year or so, during the time that I have been at the dose of 300 mg 2 times per day. After that, slowly but steadily, it started to be more and more ineffective until it was useless as it really did not helped me anymore at all, however what’s strange is that in the time that I have been using it, I have found out that for some still nowadays unknown reason to me, it has been working for my insomnia. To be honest, I am clueless at all if this thing should or can be used as only a medication for the insomnia alone. The best for insomnia which did has worked quite well for me for more than 9 years has been temazepam. I have no idea how I didn’t developed tolerance to it for that long but it kept on working. Of course, I have also been recommended and of course I did have tried them – anti depressants medications, however, not sure how for others, but for me those are totally some sh*tty medications! but I guess we all have already noticed this: they are all out there being much more worried about their own @sses than to really do whatever it takes to help their patients to live a normal life. If doctors would really start thinking about their patients as if they were their children then world would be a much better place to live in. my previous doctor has had absolutely no issues with me using that stuff for 9 years as long as he knew that it was helping me and provided me a much better quality of life than I did without it. however, then there’s this one, this new doctor that is claiming that this is a ‘benzodiazepine’ and they are no good for me. oh wow… thank you doctor, you really saved my freaking life. They did worked with absolutely no issue for me for all of those many years that I have been on them, and now, out of a sudden (since I was given a new doctor) they don’t work anymore! How I couldn’t notice that before??? Oh… very addicting no good doctor I have been prescribed 30 per month, one at night uct me right off them with no ween down and I have been on 30 mg. no withdrawals at all from them. To be honest, in my opinion, these young new doctors out there are all some kind of a joke, bull sh*t or something… whatever the case they are definitely not good for anything. That’s how I feel about them. I am sorry I know that I went off topic in there here in the end but I just said what I am feeling about it.

I am wishing you all people to have an amazingly great day and to be honest, as far as I am being concerned the best doc for me as far as knowing what kind of medications out there are that I truly need then it is me, LOL.

Comment

Working...
              X