Alcohol and medication

Anniand

Here’s the situation. I’m very depressed and I don’t talk about seasonal depression, I’m always depressed.  But when the autumn comes it’s becoming even worse and I feel sometimes that I want to die. I talked with my psychologist and he decided to introduce in this seasonal period of time the wellbutrin. I have tried it the past autumn and it helped me but the problems is that after I quit it I started to consume very much alcohol and it become a part of my life. Now when I talked with my doctor I explained him about alcohol situation and he told me that I have to quit it. I thought that it will be very easy to do this but when I tried to do this I couldn’t. I didn’t drink for 2 days and the 3 day I just fall down. I drank some drinks and the same day I used Wellbutrin. Nothing happened to me but I understand very well that if I am going to do the same thing tomorrow and after tomorrow again I can harm myself pretty bad. I’m ashamed to tell this to my doctor and I would like first of all to know if drinking alcohol and using this type of drug can harm my health or not? Please help me!

SimpleLinda

Hello there. This is a very dangerous situation and you have to change it immediately. You’re right that maybe today you felt okay but tomorrow if you are going to do the same thing you can really have some serious damage. I don’t understand why you don’t talk with your doctor, you have to tell him everything and to explain him everything, I mean that you find it hard to quit alcohol addiction.  Remember that your doctor can also help you to quit drinking alcohol or at least for a short period of time, till he is going to help you to quit, he can prescribe you some other types of antidepressants that could be used with alcohol with no problems. I’m not sure that they exist but trust me your doctor will find a solution, that’s why he is a doctor. Think about your health, I know that it’s very difficult to go ahead and to forget about depression, but think rationally for a moment imagine what can happen to you if you would do this again. I believe that everything is possible to be done if you just believe.

Anniand

I understand what are you talking about and I know very well that I have to talk with him asap. I can’t quit it, I tried to do this, but I feel that without alcohol I’m going to die. Yes, the drug helps me but I can’t compare it to alcohol. I just drink a little bit and I feel so happy and free I feel that I can live again.

I’m not that kind of person that wants to live with this for all life, because I know that in future it will harm my health very much but I can’t do this…

SimpleLinda

I understand.. That’s why I told you that you have to change it, you have to talk with your doctor, trust me that if you’ll talk with him, soon you’ll find out that your life is going to change. Depression is really something very serious but when there is also alcohol addiction it is all becoming more serious. Call your doctor and ask him to help because you’re in trouble and you don’t know what to do. don’t be shy to tell him that it is hard to quit alcohol, you’re not the only one.

I totally agree with you. My husband has had the same thing, a very serious depression and very difficult situation. This happened to him after the death of our son and this was something very serious.

Our doctor prescribed him a drug that was supposed to help him, and I didn’t know that he was drinking alcohol. There were 2 or 3 days that he was out for work and that’s why I was sure that he is taking his drug and that he is okay. In reality he was taking this drug with alcohol and at the end he arrived to the hospital, our doctor told us that he was a step away from death.  It took 3 months to see him healthy again, and after this he decided to quit the alcohol by his own immediately. He told me that he doesn’t want to die and that he wants to live for our daughter and for me. I’m very happy that nothing happened to him, I’m very happy to see him now happy and smiling. It took some years to see his smile again, and now this is the most beautiful thing in my life, his smile.

Hey, I really hope that this will be a lesson for you, and trust me that if you want you can quit it, just remember what is the most important thing in your life, think about your parents, friends, brothers, cousins, girlfriend or other relatives that you love, and ask yourself how it will be to find out that you do this thing that you harm yourself. If this doesn’t help you and doesn’t encourage you to quit, then imagine that the person that you love most is doing this thing, imagine that you know that it’s going to harm his/her life and you’re going to lose her or him. It’s something that is very important! I hope that you are going to call your doctor and I hope that you are going to change very soon your life. I wish you the best and hope this is all going to come to an end.