Bipolar medications for my wife

AbsoluteSeiz

Would appreciate very much any information regarding bipolar question. I do not take any medications in this matter, however there’s my wife who is currently prescribed and is taking 3 different bipolar medications and they are: Seroquel, Lithium as well as Tegratol. These are medications that she takes for her bipolar disorder, however she is also taking a thyroid medicine too which is called Levothyroxine and to give a full list of her intakes she’s also on birth control. My wife is 23 years old and you know… basically. She needs to continue taking these medications for the rest of her entire life… as I said, she’s 23, and she has her entire life ahead…

Well, what I am finding myself being concerned about is that there are sometimes when I am thinking about is what if there is a worldwide shortage of those medications because of a war or maybe economic depression or whatever else might be. that’s obviously going to be a really big problem. And what I am trying to say is that my wife have had severe psychosis and has been in the hospital for 6 full weeks because of it. it was SO SO bad that she didn’t even know who I was.. she actually didn’t know me, I mean, didn’t recognize me. I couldn’t bare to see her like this once again.

And now, so, me, being a very prepared person (I’m always trying to be prepared for everything and I’m always thinking about all possible outcomes out of any situation) looked into getting a 6 month to one year supply of those medications and when I have brought out this idea to my doctor he looked at me as if I lost my mind and there’s a madman in front of him. I do understand that there are people selling these medications and so on and so forth, but I definitely don’t have any intentions to sell them!

If this does matter in any way, of course, I would love her not to take absolutely anything at all… I would actually love this a lot, of course, to see her not to need to use any medications ever again and I guess that’s for some good reasons I don’t need to explain them here. However in the same time I’m trying to be realistic and now that is what she needs to use in order to be stable, those are medications that are keeping her up and as long as she needs them – I will try my best to give them to her. Maybe in the future they would make a magic pill which if taken it would take care of all her needs once and forever. But until then I want to be prepared. And with this said… do I really sound like I’m crazy for wanting to be prepared in your opinion? I can now guess that in such a horrible event that there’s going to be something catastrophic and she is not going to be able to get her medications… then her only option is going to be to use something herbal like for example medical marijuana that you can grow… however, I am not actually sue how actually helpful this thing is and plus to that, she doesn’t even like this thing.

What is your recommendation? What is your opinion on all of this? truthful, even if harsh responses, are always welcome. Thank you for everything.

meeTh

Hey there, I think that there’s nothing to be worried about… I mean, as much as I can see your biggest fear is:

Well, what I am finding myself being concerned about is that there are sometimes when I am thinking about is what if there is a worldwide shortage of those medications because of a war or maybe economic depression or whatever else might be
</p><p> </p><p>And you know… I seriously have big doubts that you have anything to worry about when it comes to this… there are nearly no chances that big pharma would stop selling drugs (especially in event of war)… with this in mind, I doubt that you have to worry about anything other than your personal economic collapse. As long as you’re going to have money – your wife is going to have medications.</p>

HaNNaH

Hey, I actually don’t think that you have anything to be worried about a shortage of those medications in a western society… I do understand the fact that you love your wife and you want to be prepared just in case anything happens, but I seriously doubts that this would ever happen… I’m of course not an medical or economic expert, however I have never ever heard off absolutely any such shortages (at least here in the UK)… but I have serious doubt that for the United States this is going to be any different at all.
In addition to that, there are also some other similar medications out there which they can use in case those ones are going to stop working for her (tolerance etc. you know), there is very little shortage off psychiatric medications as it is one of the biggest growing areas within ‘big pharma’ and I’m a firm believer that ‘big pharma’ is the business that would never end and it is the ‘biggest’ business ever… having this said, I doubt that there’s going to be a moment when they wouldn’t want you to buy medications from them…

I seriously wish you and your wife all the best as you deal with what is going to be an extremely traumatic time for both of you out there, however, people have and they always are going to continue to deal with the situations that they didn’t wanted to come to or clearly ask for… in the end, unless there is going to be a zombie apocalypses or something in this matter, then you shouldn’t worry that you won’t get those medications (and if there would be a zombie apocalypses then there would be bigger problems like food and water, lol).

Monique

Hello there AbsoluteSeiz. I only wanted to let you know that I am also taking an anti psychotic medication and I am also pleased with the way it works for me, in fact I’m so happy with the way that it helps me that, pretty much as you, I am being worried if there is ever going to be a shortage what would I ever do without those medications. I perfectly do know how you and your wife must be feeling in these situations and trust me I’m very sorry that you have to go through all of this. however I still must say that I doubt with the popularity of these medications that we are ever going to have any kind of shortage for them. as it was said earlier, they are bringing waaay too much money and simply the fact that they are helping a lot of people to be a shortage. I am wishing all of the best to both you and your wife as you are dealing with what must be a very difficult situation right now… as I said, I know what’s like to live with this and I know that any kind of support is important for you now.

Suffes

There are 2 things that I wanted to say based on 2 things that you wrote in your post. these are your words:

Well, what I am finding myself being concerned about is that there are sometimes when I am thinking about is what if there is a worldwide shortage of those medications because of a war or maybe economic depression or whatever else might be. that’s obviously going to be a really big problem.</p><p> </p><p>And now, so, me, being a very prepared person (I’m always trying to be prepared for everything and I’m always thinking about all possible outcomes out of any situation) looked into getting a 6 month to one year supply of those medications and when I have brought out this idea to my doctor he looked at me as if I lost my mind and there’s a madman in front of him
</p><p> </p><p>And now. since you have asked for this. you know, I want to be fully sincere and that’s why I tell you that you do seem to be a little bit over stimulated about this very unlikely possibility to happen, and there’s no wonder that the doctor refused to accomplish your idea. <br />Please don’t get me wrong though. I surely don’t want to say that there’s absolutely anything wrong with you having concerns about your wife’s future metal state, however in the same time I am a firm believer that the effects of a worldwide economic collapse or depression or whatever or maybe even war would far exceed any possible impact on prescription drug availability to be honest.</p><p> </p><p>Again, please don’t get me wrong but I do agree with the doctor on this one. I’ve got to confess that I have had conversations pretty much similar to this with a lot of people out there who are currently being treated in ‘harm reduction’ protocols with drugs as buprenorphine and methadone. Concerns about disruptions in supply from race wars, virus epidemics, terrorist bomb attacks, hurricanes and so on and so forth. try as they might, nobody that I am aware of has ever been successful at getting one year’s supply of their medications. with all these recent hurricane events and I doubt that someone had this facility or that they would ever have them.</p>

ReXxX

Hey there OP, I personally just do not have the same confidence in our way of life others here are doing so I just do not think this way, sure thing is that you are not crazy trust me. in fact, I can say that there are many here that are doing pretty much this thing, we are preparing for just some eventuality. To be honest, I would say that you would be completely crazy if not going to be prepared if this is what is eating you… to be honest, I surely would do the same thing for my wife or for my own self wellness, why not? so no, at least for me, you surely do not sound to be crazy or madman for wanting to be prepared!

heizestooke74

hi everyone, I'm really sorry about your wife's condition pills treatment is the only way which can lower symptoms of bipolar disorder also you can change the doctors and they may change the treatment because these tablets that she is taking now maybe not be so effective as desired
anyway don't give up and you'll find the right treatment
Good luck !!