blinking frequently

Mary Moll

hey I think my son has a very serious problem.  I’m not sure yet that’s why I try to be clam myself and to search for more information hoping that I would find if this is true or no (hope this is not). So this started some time ago and at the beginning I decided that this is something that is not so serious, and I thought that after some time it will pass away. He is just 10 years old and I really hope that there is nothing to worry about but I still can’t get my mind off it.  He started to blink very often and this seems to be something that he doesn’t control this just happens and that’s all. This also seems to be something unnatural. He also told me that sometime he even doesn’t feels and doesn’t understand that this happened some second ago. does it mean that he has some nerve damage or something else? I’m thinking about going to a doctor with him but I’m not sure how and where I should start searching.

tameeka

okay starting from the beginning and from the most simple things that this could be. First of all it could be a tic that he started to develop and I would really like to say that I’m sure that this is like this, but for now I can’t confirm this thing, because usually tics develop when kids are younger .

There is a reason that I mentioned tics, because some of them develop because of a stressful situation or something that happened and that changed his behavior. Try to remember if something like this happened to him, or at least ask him if he isn’t scared because of something or maybe stressed about something. Usually tics starts if they once got very scared.

the second thing that I know but this is something more serious is the epilepsy, and this is a disease that can provoke a lot of damage. I really hope that this is not your case and that your kid is okay but you have to take in consideration everything. I mentioned this thing because I have a nephew that has had some epileptic symptoms and I remember very well that everything started with blinking. My sister wasn’t worried about this and after some months when he started to develop other types of symptoms she started to be worried and went to a doc. After the examination they found out that he is epileptic and that the need a special treatment. Now he is okay but they needed some years to treat him and to eliminate all the symptoms that he has (plus a lot of money). I clearly recommend you to check out what this could be, at least if this is not linked with any disease so you can be relaxed. If you’re not sure where you should go, go to your family doctor and describe the problem. I’m sure he/she knows what to do. good luck to you and your son.

Mary Moll

tameeka, thank you very much for the information you provided. I know about the epilepsy and I have heard that this is one of the symptoms. Honestly I decided to write here because of this. I started to think about some serious diseases since the beginning, if you are a parent then you can understand me. It’s hard to be positive when something like this happens. Of course I hope that he is okay and that this is a tic but I can’t forget about other diseases. I think that I’ll check him.

timka505

My 14 years old son have had this when he was 7. I was worried too and I started to think about different bad stuff. When I talked with my doctor and I explained my situation he told me from the beginning that my baby is okay, but in order to make me feel better he decided to do some tests to see the results. The first thing that he checked was the blood, and it was okay, then he tested his head, nerves and at the end he tested his eyes. In the conclusion he told me that this was something like tic that was created because my son was very sensitive to sun and very bright lights. After some years this passed by its own we did nothing for this, except the fact that I protected him from different lights, my doctor recommend me to do this is order to protect his vision and to avoid glasses. Who knows? Maybe your son has a similar thing.

Mary Moll

Interesting thing, I have never heard about something like this. This is another thing that I would like to check. My son has had some problems with his eyes when he was a little bit younger and my doctor told me that his eyes are getting tired very quickly.

timka505

I think that this could be a link between these 2 problems because if you didn’t cured him when he was younger and you did nothing for his eyes when he have had this problem, now this could influence and could create another problems, better to check. I forgot to add that I agree that you have to check for all the possible diseases and to be sure that he doesn’t has some other serious problems.

Isa Bella

Hey I’m sorry about this, and I’m sorry that I have to add some other bad news but I consider that you have to know this.  My daughter has had the same thing when she was 9 years old, and my doctor diagnosed her with ADHD, although she may be bipolar. After this my doc prescribed her some drops, but she continued to have this and more intensely and I’m still not sure if it wasn’t provoked by those drops. Anyway after some years we have found out that it also have had some interconnections with vision situation. You have to check everything, every single thought that you have had about your son.