Differences: beta and calcium channel; blockers

Hanran

Hey everyone. can you please tell me what are the difference between the Beta Blockers and Calcium Channel Blockers please? I do know that all of them are made for the heart, however, I really don’t understand what are the differences between these 2 drugs and I would really appreciate if you would give me a hint regarding this. thank you in advance for your replies.

MBernic

Hello there, in fact, the use of both these drugs are not limited only for the heart support. Let me give you an example, the calcium channel blockers are also affecting the smooth muscles of the blood vessels as well as the neurons and the beta blockers can also be used for some cases of a performance anxiety as well as a prophylaxis for migraine cases.

Anyway, the calcium channel blockers main purpose is to decrease the blood pressure for patient with HBP (high blood pressure). Calcium channel blockers drugs are decreasing the force of contraction of the myocardium which is a heart muscle and is doing so by preventing the increase of the calcium levels in the myocardium (that’s why they are called “calcium channel blockers”), in the heart muscle cells therefore it makes less contraction so it is increasing the blood vessel diameter.
About the beta blockers. They are working as the blockers of the action (that’s why they are called “blockers”) of the norepinephrine as well as epinephrine in the beta receptor (that’s why it is called “beta”) in different parts of the user’s body but mainly it does so in his or her heart. The mechanism of antihypertensive that this medicine is involving decrease in cardiac output. The beta blockers have some other purposes such as anti arrhythmia as well as anti angina.

As a general though, the main difference between these 2 drugs is the mechanism of action, as you can see from what I have told you above. Either way, it is, obviously, only a doctor’s decision on which type of the drug should be given to some certain cases of hypertension. In case you, one of your family members or your friend or whoever is considering to take any of these drugs, I recommend to visit the family doctor in the first place. These kinds of drugs can be dangerous if taken without a doctor’s supervision. I don’t intend to scare you but there are cases of deaths when people were auto medicating themselves, especially with prescription drugs. Good luck and I wish you to be healthy!

Hanran

Hey there Mbernic, thank you very much for your reply, for your very informative reply. This really helps. Thank you once again and I wish you a good day.