good vs bad doctor

SingleMother

I really love to find out people’s opinion about things that in my opinion are really important for our health maintenance. I just realized that nobody here ever asked a open question about your type of perfect doctor or what does constitutes for you a good doctor. Of course, I’m going to talk first because I think that I’m going to start this topic with my experience that I have had during all my entire life. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately (in some cases) I have had really bad experienced during my life, I have changed a lot of doctors and have had big troubles to get well during some periods of my life. Of course some of the things that happen to us are related to something unimportant that can be cured at home by your own. I’m that kind of person that will never go to visit the doctor if I have something that I know that I can treat by myself and that I just can get well without extra intervention. I have had troubles as I think all of us have, and sometimes there is really necessary to go to visit your doctor. I have changed at least 5 doctors because of incapability to go ahead with the same their position and decisions made on my own health. So, talking briefly, it doesn’t matter what kind of disease you have or what does make you feel bad, as soon as you decided to talk with your doctor the first thing that he have to do is to LISTEN. I have poorly reached this point with my first 3 doctors that I have had. Every time I was there talking about a problem that I have had, I was always interrupted, and nothing that I used to say about my health, or about the pain that I feel or other problems that I have had seem to be something unnecessary for my doctor. I just hate this- how can this be? I mean every time when I start to talk with my doctor he just shuts me up with an extremely important phrase to add, like: I already got what you have. After some time when you came back with some complains about his work, or about the drug that he prescribed you, or just telling that nothing changed since the last time you have visited him, he comes back with a good reply: “This is your fault, you should be talking clear” or something like this: “You never told me what your are saying now”. I get so mad sometimes, especially on these phrases, because I feel like I have been fooled and I just rest here, with 2 months full of the same problems that I already had with no progress. The second thing that I appreciate in good doctors is when they are open minded and accepts the fact that there can be something better that can help you better and that can be an alternative to what he proposed to me. This situation is really familiar to a lot of people, I have heard that a lot of doctors don’t accept when you tell them that you would like to have a drug instead of the drug that he proposed to you, not because you can’t take it but just because they don’t what to accept the fact that there can be something that can help you! Of course some of you wouldn’t agree with me, and I’m sure that here I can find a lot of doctors that will read it and will be angry at me. I’m sorry but this is my reality, this is something that happened to me and I think that these are the most inappropriate things that a doctor can do.

Daniela1

What a great post. I thought about this thing so many times, but I have never thought to rite here about this. Talking about your kind of experience that you have had, and your opinions I can totally agree with them. I understand what you feel, and you are right, this can’t be considered to be professional. I have had something similar with my old doctor. I never liked the way he treated me, especially because I have observed so many times that he actually didn’t liked me as much as he liked other people, especially women. The thing is that I have had some health problems, and every time I have had to use a drug what something unbelievable to me.  I mean, he just tried a lot of things on me, and every time he failed, and started to prescribe me on other things.  This was really strange for me, just because actually he knows me really well, I started to visit this doctor when I was 8 and now I’m 30. 5 years ago, after I just got mad once he just decided to refer me to an gastroenterologist, and this is the best thing that he ever done to me, since I have meet him. This is the best doctor, and I’m happy to see him every time. He improved my life quality and even helped me to pass over some serious diseases and some of my bad habits. So happy to have him now.

Sarah Sharp

Well there are a lot of stories that I can tell referring to this topic, but I would like to mention something else because I think that this is related to previous posts. So what I would like to say is that I have asked and informed myself some time ago, when I just got the same situation like yours, and especially when I desperately needed opiate pain killers because this was the only thing capable to help me that moment. The thing is that even after a lot of fight and angry situations I just understood that I will never get them, even if I’m going to die here on that moment. A little bit letter I just found out that this wasn’t about my doctor, this was about all the doctors out there in that hospital, and this was related to rules imposed in that clinics. This rule doesn’t have any exception… This is not the moment that makes me think that my doc is really a bad one, I don’t think that he is bad, because he may be really a professional one, but the reality is that I just didn’t found any help and once a doctor can’t help you this is not a doctor for me anymore…

SingleMother

Prescribing medication, or not, can have a positive as well as negative part. For example the first thing is that there are some situation when you can face a person that doesn’t know you very well, or even isn’t specialized on the type of disease that you have and you just can see like that doctor prescribe some really serious drugs without knowing that actually this can be harmful. The vice versa situation happen in some cases like yours, when a doctor that knows every little thing about your life, every little issue, and any disease that you have had, just refuses to prescribe you a medication, because of a rule.. so pissed…

AlficKe7

I’m really happy about my doctor guys. I really don’t know what do you feel, but I can imagine and I feel really sorry about your situation. Fortunately, I have this doctor since I was a little kid, and she is all into my health, always asking about every single thing in my life. Even if I visit here because of something insignificant, she is always there asking me about my sleep quality, asking me about my stress, about my work. She knows everything that I eat, and she is there to offer me solution to all the things that I ask her. There are some cases when she simply doesn’t know how to treat something, or what to recommend me, and in this cases she sends me to a doctor that is able to help me. Thanks God I have no problems.

diannnne

Oh, yeaaaas those bad a*s doctors that you just want to punch their faces hoping that this can actually work. I had one like this. The thing is that he never helped us as he used to, but my mother never thought to search for someone else just because she got used with him. Everything changed one day, when my sister accidently shouted herself, when she transported some of my father’s guns. So the thing is that when she got well she decided to speak with our doctor about the fact that because of this case she got depressed, and even after half year she couldn’t get rid of that depression, she wasn’t able to eat, she wasn’t able to do something because of depression. She explained all of this to our doctor, and she just waster her time, because the only thing that our ex- doc recommended to her was to pray and to go to church. So how do you think? Is this normal to do something like this?

SingleMother

OMG this is really awful, lol.. :D. I’m sorry for my laugh but the thing is that I just imagined how your doctor, with a serious face is telling your sister to go to church… This is what I’m talking about, I can’t understand how this kind of doctor really exist? If you really hate your job and if you feel pissed off about helping people and seeing diseases and problems every day just quit, it is never too late. The conclusion from all your posts here that I have create for myself is that, there are really big chances to find a lot of bad doctors, and you can be considered really lucky as soon as you were able to find one… I think that I’m not going to switch to another doctor, now that I have a really good one.

Angwin

I can feel myself lucky in this case, because I have had a bad experience but this was something that I hope will never happen to me again. I have met my doc about 15 years ago, and since the first day he was really kind to me and he always smiled and talked with me seriously in accordance with the things that happened to me. He is a really so positive and all the time I arrive to talk with him about a serious disease, he is always positive, telling me just positive things and assuring me that he will help me to get better. The only negative experience that I have had during those years was when my doctor was in vacation and I just needed to consult another one, so the thing is that the doctor that I have met was really really a bad one, I don’t know what happened, was he incompetent or maybe because he didn’t ever saw me and knew nothing about me, but he prescribed me a drug that was supposed to help me at that moment and I got worse. I have had such bad side effects that I have never experienced in my entire life, when my doctor turned back he just realized that something bad happened to me.. and that I need help… sad story!