having a heart attack after quit smoking?

jessica302

Hello everyone. I have a question for you and I would appreciate a lot if you’re going to help me a bit by answering it. so well, my father just have had a small heart attack today and it happened after he quit smoking which has been approximately one month ago. there has been a coworker of mine who told me that this is pretty common for those people who are smoking their entire life and then they are suddenly quitting. This made me go into a “thinking mode”, so is there somebody who can, medically, answer me this: I have been wondering whether is this truth or not? thank you in advance for you answer.

Workman

Well, I would pretty much say that this is actually true… unfortunately. This is probably the reason why when there are a lot of people (and including me now) who are quitting smoking then for a while we are getting that left chest pains and while for some people it is not so hard (I guess like me) then there are other people like your father who are getting a worse situation like that mini heart attack (as I have never had one as much as it seems). I guess that this is mainly due to the fact that our body is used to have a smoke every now and then (some more frequent than others) and then to relieve the stress, and then when without this pretty powerful outlet in our lives then our heart is starting to “complain” or something like that about this extra stress we gave it. and some who can handle the stress easier are not getting such things but people who do get it like your father cannot handle it as well.

Honestly, I am sorry to hear the bad news you said about your father, I really wish that he would be fine in the end. and in the same time I would really like to thank you for this. I am going to try to put this information to at least some good use and know that this might happen to me too since I have quit smoking too not so long ago and I’m also having this left chest area discomfort. Have your father ever complained about left chest area pains/discomfort prior he got it? anyway, I’m still pretty sure that this is because of the stress that is why I think that a good method of relieving this chest discomfort and lowering the chances of getting a mini heart attack after quitting smoke is meditating. I say so because meditating should help relieve stress and usually that’s what it does. I’m going to try this method as well as yoga (maybe) and anything that relieves stress and then maybe these left chest discomfort/pains I am getting are going to go away.

Thank you once again for posting this, I wish your father all the best and as for answering your question: though I don’t have any medical degree I still think that yeah – they really seem to have a relation.

LindoW

well, I do know what it is and I can surely tell you that it does have a connection that heart attack with quitting smoking. It is a stress for the heart and yeah, it does happen. I know it because my boyfriend was smoking for 30 years (he was a heavy smoker) and he quit smoking about 3 weeks ago (as you can see, pretty much both your father and my bf quit smoking the same time ago ago) and he quit smoking completely cold turkey. Maybe if you wouldn’t have done it (I mean going cold turkey) – it would be better, but yesterday he have had a massive heart attack and he have had to be shocked back to life 4 times. It is really very dangerous as he is on the mend now but thank god that it is like that. I really do not think that what happened to your father and to my bf is just a coincidence so I really think that quitting smoking brought it on and I was suspecting this too, then I was suspecting this even more when I have discussed with a woman today and she told me that the exact same thing has happened with her husband too when he stopped to smoke a few years ago. now I decided to do a bit of research about this and I found you in no time. it is true a extremely huge coincidence in case it is really not true – but I honestly doubt about that.

nichola

Yeah. I have smoked for about 29-30 years too and then I also quit, cold turkey and then I started to exercise nearly right after. Generally made a big change into my life. I have lost approximately 20 lbs and then I have been thinking that it was all going well when I have had a heart attack out of nowhere with full and a big blockage in RCA. I have recovered pretty fine, exercising and eating right then I my next check up has showed 2 blockages in my left main. It is not a coincidence, it is from quitting smoking. Now I am having a total of 4 stents I am only 50 years old. after I spoke with my cardiologist he said that it is all 80% genes and 20% diet.

Awkwast

Hello all. I’m a female, I am 64 years old and I did smoked for about 35 years or even more approximately 1 and a half packs per day, I smoked menthol cigarettes with low tar. I just thought that all of this information might make a different, though I’m not sure about it. the point is that I have also had a heart attack approximately 8 or 9 months after I have switched to an electronic cigarette (wanted to quit – but ended up smoking e cigarette). It is nicotine vapor instead of smoking hence it has been an enormous reduction in the amount of the nicotine that it has been absorbed by my body.

Well, I have been a caregiver for approximately 9 years or so and I have been rarely feeling any ill while I have been smoking, however, only after the time that I have switched to vapor, approximately 8 months or 9 as I said later, booom and here you go… a heart attack.

I have been told that I have had a 100% blockage in one of my artery, approximately 25% in another one as well as a stint that has been placed in my 3rd to correct approximately a 95-99% blockage there. openly talking with you guys, since my doctor could not produce the misplaced angiogram for me a couple of weeks later when I have been requested it, only “said” to me that the facts I have told you above were correct, personally I did not 100% believe him due to the fact that I have been active and I really seemed to be healthy for as long as I stopped smoking. I mean, I was healthy until I have stopped it. while I have been smoking I have had absolutely no shortness of breath, no cough or something in this matter, nothing that could disturb my well being. None at all.

Another thing that I think it is pretty interested it is that a friend have had the exact same thing that happened to her too, about 6 or 7 months after she has quit smoking, she has found herself in the hospital for a major bypass surgery. Out of nowhere, feeling all fine etc.

That is why, all those so called “facts” about how to quit smoking is preventing heart attacks raelly seem like so much of a propaganda to me, and that’s especially becoming a big propaganda after I read all of the stories from above.
However, why do they lie to the public??

Except maybe only for the fact that it is reducing the number of former smokers on medicare via heart attacks or maybe it is increasing the number of stint procedures. Anyway, it is just one more instance of the medical advice that really does not bear up under the close scrutiny.

Well, as an aside, I am not feeling as healthy as I have been used to feel during the time I was smoking. Those medications that they are giving me, are making me feel even worse than before. Besides the fact that I don’t feel so well, I have also had flu TWICE for the last year. I mean, this is very much for me to get flu 2 times in one year – compared to how it used to be in the past only once during the 9 years. besides, when I have had that flu one time a year it has been short lived but these times around they seemed to linger both time and it is annoying. Whether this is just a coincidence I don’t know but this is weird.

By the way, I am still not smoking, however this may change something :D