How much it takes to Penicillin to work?

bigboy

Hi. I want to know how much does it take for this antibiotic (Penicillin) in order to kick in?

I now having a pretty bad tooth infection and now I need my wisdom teeth out along with another tooth, that tooth that it is infected. I am not able to get to the doc in order to get these teeth pulled until 7th January so he prescribed me this antibiotic called Penicillin as well as a pain killer too. currently I am taking my pain killer every 6 hours as it is prescribed by my doc and its effects are out in every 4 hours… I do know very well that as soon as my swelling is going to go down (and it will do so when the penicillin is going to work) only then I am going to start feeling better. however, this is why I am here, I don’t know how long it is going to take for this antibiotic to start working, to kick in, I would really like to know because until then I’m just living on pain killer and I know that this is unhealthy so as soon as the antibiotic would start working, as healthier I’m gonna be. by the way, I have been taking both of these (pain killing drug and antibiotic) for approximately 24 hours now (one full day). generally I would like to know, is penicillin going to work in the end to get rid of this infection?? The pain killer does work (for only 4 hours, but at least something) but I’m not sure about the antibiotic. Thank you all a lot!

miranda2

Hey there big boy :) it is going to take approximately 24 to 48 hours (1 – 2 days) however you need to continue to use this antibiotic or you risk pretty much that the infection is going to come back (in most cases it returns back if not used continuously) and / or inc chance of resistance, either way, you are able to use your pain medication at 3 and half hours in order to overlap, you do not need to wait exactly 4 hours to use it again. beside it, you could try to add there ibuprofen 400 mg with that pain medication you take (note: do not add ibuprofen in case you are allergic to it or your initial pain medication is having the exact same ingredient [ibuprofen]). Besides all of this, you could try to do the warm salt water gargles as well as some warm compresses on your face both of which might help or improve the whole process. Also, try to eat only soft foods in order not to aggravate and generally you can find on the internet things that can be able to aggravate your condition, try to avoid them. really hope that you are going to feel better as soon as it would be possible. I wish you a nice day!

Daniela1

As you have said it, as soon as this Penicillin is going to start working (it usually happens within 3 days) your pains are also going to disappear, just give it some time. if you want to help fighting the infection by getting rid of it and to heal faster (to boost the whole process) you should use Listerine mouthwash 4 times per day and you need to do it especially you have had a meal and also before you are going to sleep, this is going to kill the flora (the bacteria) that is in your mouth and saliva. This is going to provide you a much faster effect. Also, don’t forget to brush your teeth (not on the infected area but your teeth) also at least 2 times per day. also, if you wish, you could use the warm water salt gargle. These would help you to boost the healing process.

MBernic

Well, look, penicillin as well as other antibiotics are having a peak effect that it is usually on the 3rd or on the 4th day of using the drug. as it was already stated here, with the reduced pressure that you are having from the puss the pain is also going to subside. With the commonly dental inflammation the analgesics are usually used for 2 days and after that only optional or as it is needed or prescribed by your doc on the following days after. You have been told that you could use Listerine mouthwash for a better and faster healing process, that’s true, however the cheaper alternative for that commercial mouthwash is that home made warm salt solution that has also been told here (3 or 4 times per day would do the trick) or you can also use the chlorhexidine rinses if you wish.

Maybe this info is going to be helpful. stay healthy! ;)

bigboy

Thank you all for this information, it is really helpful and informative, that’s exactly what I wanted to know and even more. I’m going to wait for the effects to appear after few days more. I’m very glad that I’ve asked you about it because now I’m feeling much more comfortable after all your sharing. Have a nice day everyone.