I have had erection during prostate examen - very embarrassing

Easer1934

Hey everyone, I came across this site and I thought that it would be great if I will get some answers about prostate exam. I am having annually physical DRE exam and every year it was fine, everything went normally each time I got checked until the last time when I was at the doctor for the same procedure. Last time, about a year ago I had this test and I don’t know why but during the exam I got an erection. I felt soooo damn bad! I was very and very embarrassed when this happened and I couldn’t do anything about that so I just sat there in quiet and said nothing like a freak… I really felt so. The doctor who made the exam also said nothing, I don’t know why. Maybe he was the same embarrassed as I was or it is something usual for him and he got used to situations like this and didn’t pay any attention? Well after the exam I just went home and tried to forget about it doing my daily business. The problem is that in few days I’m scheduled for this annually physical exam and I’m truly concerned that something like this is going to happen again. I would like to know if this is something common for other people and if it is normal to have an erection during the exam? Is there any other who went thru a similar situation like mine? I would love to ask these questions a doctor but the list time I was too embarrassed to do it… you know?...

Saville

Hey there, I have had the same prostate exam and I need to tell you that it is not something uncommon. Many men can have an erection during their prostate exam so you shouldn’t be that worried if you will have one too. Insertion of fingers in the anus is very stimulating because in it PROSTATE exam, not eyes or ears. Erection and prostate are connected between so in my opinion your doctor didn't tell you anything because he got used to something like this. I was having a talk with the consultant prior to my exam. She is a woman and she explained me that something like this can happen. "Inserting a finger in the anus it is quite possible to get an erection" these are her words. I'm young, I'm in my middle 20s when they have told me I need to have an prostate exam. I never had it before so that's why she warned me about this. I got a semi erection when I had my exam but there was nothing to be embarrassed of. Maybe because she told me that something like this is possible to happen. I don't really know but I suggest you not to worry too. It's natural. We're all humans. Talk to your doctor too prior to exam about this. Don't be shy because I'm almost 100% sure that she or he is going to react respectively and is going to explain you everything. The only thing that you have to remember during the exam is that it can happen and if it does there's NOTHING to worry about!

Duryeal

Woah, I was just surfing this site reading all posts in row being interested what kind of issue people have until I have reached your post and I was very interested in it. About half a year ago I also had a prostate exam and I got an erection, obviously I was very embarrassed and my doctor noticed it and said that this is something normal. When I asked him whether he had other patients who had this he said yes, and also added that this is happening very often for many men. He said that this is perfectly normal and this is something natural so there's nothing that you should be embarrassed of. I agree 100% with Saville now! My doctor said that nervous tissue in anus is very sensitive so it can provoke a hard erection even harder than you used to be. This is something that may happen whether you like it or no. He said that massaging the prostate is not only a way to detect cancer but it's also a way to induce ejaculation in men and it doesn't indicate anything about your sexuality, you should not be afraid of this. Next time when I'm going to have a prostate exam I guess I won't be as embarrassed if this is going to happen again. I'm very glad that I meet this doctor and I can recommend you that if your doctor is going to be surprised about having a erection this is a sign that you should see another doctor, just in case. Good luck and don't be ashamed, hope this is going to help you next time ;)

JohnPi

I have the same strange problem. The last time when I visited my doctor I got an erection while my physical DRE exam. This was very strange and this never happened to me before, but now I see that there are others and it’s kinda feel better knowing this. I was very embarrassed but I said nothing. This week I have again this exam, but I’m scared and worried that this will happen again even though you said that it is normal. Any advice to avoid this in the future?

MBernic

Honestly, there’s absolutely no need to be embarrassed about this thing. My suggestion to you is to go along with the program and don’t be afraid of nothing. This is completely normal and your doctor knows about it. if he don’t then I also recommend you the same thing as one poster said he: it’s a good sign to search for a new doctor. I just want to make you and everybody else that have this problem to understand that each time when something is brushing against a man’s prostate then he is very prone to have an erection. in fact, that man is prone to have an ejaculation as well and it doesn’t matter if he wants it to happen or not. I have talked to a psychologist and I have read about it a lot. Many men reported that they had similar feelings when they have been raped. They said that they had ejaculation during it but as you can understand they didn’t had any wish to do it. that doctor told me that an ejaculation only means that the prostate is stimulated and it has nothing to do if you liked it or no. as I initially say, your doctor should be aware of human body and what can happen. He should know all of this. with all this said, there are absolutely no reasons that the original poster or anybody else who’s having similar problems to worry or to be embarrassed. I do understand you that it is not a good feeling to have an erection while a doctor is watching you but keep in mind that this is normal so don’t be afraid of it. I wish you good luck and I really hope that my post would help somebody.