I need some recommendations on insomnia

Turitch

Talking seriously I can’t sleep, and this is not something that happened usual, is something that I started to worried about as I observed that everything that I tried still now didn’t worked, and trust me I have tried a lot of things. Everything started in high school when I started to be nervous about my marks, exams and so on. At that time my doctor prescribed me doxyalamine and Benadryl. At that time these were supposed to be really strong drugs for me and were supposed to help me instantly, but no, I was completely awake and felt nothing. After I finished high school, trust me it was a really hard for me especially passing all the exams and all the things that stressed me out during the school year. I got used not to sleep and this was an extremely hard thing for me, I started to lose weight because I never wanted to eat and started to feel bad to have my hair fallen and many other side effects.

During the summer after the high school, my doctor tried to introduce me into nortriptyline and it seemed to help me for a really short period of time. During the summer when I started to use it I started to sleep better at night even if after some weeks the effect of this drugs diminished and I needed at least 1 hour to fall asleep. When the freshman year started the dosage of nortriptyline got higher and after this my doctor decided to put me on Remeron, he was to afraid to let me continue with nortriptyline as I started to higher the dosage and the effect of this drug on me started to diminish.

With Remeron everything seemed to be okay, it started to help me and I was really happy to get rid of the sensation of exhaustion. After one month I started to gain weight, and at the beginning it wasn’t so drastic and strange for me, I was totally sure that I could afford it and I was sure that I’ll be able to lose this weight really fast. I thought that I’ll gain a little weight but after this I’ll stop. I was supposed to switch to another drug because after a short period of time I needed to change my entire entire wardrobe because of my extremely high weight. The second year at the university was a hell for me; I was struggling to lose weight and to fall asleep somehow. I was really nervous and I knew I needed some professional psychological help. Losing weight was really hard but at least I was able to get rid of this problem, but the insomnia continued to be, without any good results.

During the summer my doctor prescribed me Xanax. It was supposed to help me with anxiety, and I really needed this into my life as I started to got more and more nervous and started to yell at my parents, friends without any specific reason. I knew it was because of my weight gain and my insomnia, but I wasn’t able to stop anymore! Xanax was good but just for a few days, after this I started to develop a strange reaction to this, as it started to help me to fall asleep just for one hour.

After a long battle I really got extremely exhausted that I decided not to use drugs anymore, this was a dark period of my life when I started to drink alcohol. The most important thing was that it started to help me and during this period I slept as I never did this before. When it started to get really serious, and I couldn’t fall asleep without alcohol I decided to quit, and my insomnia came back again.

Recently tried to use Ambien. I used it before but for a very short period of time. It took 3-4 hours for me to fall asleep it was hard pat I kept going on like this for some months. Klonopin didn’t helped me at all, it was worse than Ambien because it took me more than 5 house to sleep.

My next drug is foresees to be Seroquel, but I feel like this one will be like any of past drugs that I have tried. I don’t know what is the problem, and what can I do to change at least something..

This problem destroys a lot of things in my life, besides my health, my psychological situation, my relationship with my family, friends and so on, I have problems to get focused on my job. I know that I have to do something and I’m ready to try any single thing that you’ll recommend me here, even if it will sound really strange or absurd. I’m so sick of all these drugs, and I don’t know what to do, please help me, any advice is accepted!

Eva123

Oh my God, such a nasty situation. I can’t even imagine how you live with such a condition. There may be something really serious. I really don’t know what to say, you have tried all the drugs that I know were supposed to help you and even more and you still have this problem. This seems to be impossible.

Anyway the only thing that I can say and recommend you now is not to try Seroquel, this is an extremely powerful antipsychotic, and judging by your general psychological situation this is not the thing that you have to use now. I have had insomnia problem, but Ambien helped me tho.

I really don’t know what to say, but I hope you’ll find the solution. Wish you a big good luck!

mazidontever

If your doctor decided to prescribe you antipsychotics that the situation may be extremely serious. I agree, they are really dangerous and nobody know how it can work on your brain, I don’t really thing that this is the right solution. If I was you I think that I would try to switch to another doctor, at least to tell him this entire story and to see how another doctor will react to this. At least you’ll know what to do next; maybe he will be able to help you without prescribing you such extremely dangerous things. Stay away for this. 

Turitch

I know Seroquel is really dangerous, and I think that I wouldn’t take it. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do, but the thing with changing my doctor is a good idea; don’t know why I have never thought about this before. I think that I was so into my problem that I couldn’t think about such a thing like trying to talk with somebody else.

Bannerman

Don’t use alcohol as a aid to fall asleep again please. My uncle did this and now he is an alcoholic. Now he can’t live, sleep or think without using alcohol, he told me that he rather dies than quit alcohol so be careful. You have tried too many drugs and things and I think that your doctor should check you problem more profound, because this means that maybe your problem could be related to something else then insomnia. 

sportsman

Why don’t you try to exercise more and to get physically exhausted. I would like to say that this is something really simple and seems to be too simple but actually can help you. My cousin have had the same thing, and after some years of struggling, she completely changed her life. I think that your condition started because of too much stress, your body programmed himself to be stressed out all the time and now it can’t get rid of this program, it can also be related to psychical condition, maybe this is all in your head and you just don’t let your body to fight, you programmed your brain to think that you can’t fall asleep and now this is happening for real.

Try to change completely your life style, try to exercise more, to eat more greens and vegetables, try to do yoga and to meditate, this is what helped my cousin, and now she feels great, she is very happy that this problem disappeared. You told us that you’re ready to try everything, my suggestion is to try to do the simplest thing ever to change your lifestyle, your thought and I’m quite sure that you’ll see the difference.

Turitch

Thank you very much for the advice. Yes, I’m ready to try everything and to do all my best at least to change a little thing. I don’t think that changing the life style is something stupid or simple, and I’m sure that you’re right about the psychological factor that influences me. I think that I’ll try yoga, I always wanted to do it, but I have never had time for myself. I will definitely change my daily plans and I’ll try to introduce more time for my health, for myself!

Anyway thank you all for the advices provided; I’ll try to do all of them! If you have something else to add please share hare, I’ll be happy to add some new information in my “to do” list!