Interferon and Hepatitis C

HullUp

So well, hi all. as you can see, I would really like to talk about interferon and how well it helps for hepatitis C. well, during my early using history, I have picked up hepatitis c and even though so far I am feeling perfectly fine, of course, I would still want to get treated off it. Well, I have to say that I did quit to drink alcohol at all, however I am still taking tablets with 325 mg of the Tylenol in them and sure thing they are not doing my liver any good at all. I have heard that there is a good treatment for hepatitis C by using interferon, however I am not really sure how well, in fact, it works. I would really want to talk with somebody who is having some experience with the interferon treatment and I would really like to know if it really worked or no? are the side effects tolerance? I would like to know more about the treatment with Interferon and how to treat hepatitis C. thank you all.

Monique

Oh yeah, it does help be sure about that. I am not able to say anything from experience since I have never had hepatitis C (thanks god) but there’s a really good friend of mine who has used interferon for the Hepatitis C and yeah, Interferon has done a really good job and it has cleared her system very well 2 years ago and it is currently still clear with no problems. however, you’ve got to know that it is a pretty demanding regimen and it is going to take anywhere between 6 to 12 months of therapy that is why you should be committed to it. but it is logical, I think, after all, you are trying to get rid of hepatitis C, not a regular flu. However it is surely worth all the effort, I am sure about that. however, I do know that it does work a little bit better for women than for men (I am having no ideas why it is so) but in case you are able to stick to it then be sure that it is still having a really high success rate, even if you’re a man. Odds are in your favor anyway. be prepared that this medication can make you feel a little bit low, rundown and generally unwell, however it won’t make you feel that bad that you are not even going to be able to function (though there are some very rare cases when patients report energy boost with it).

Also, I can assume like you are doing that APAP it is not going to help you very much with your situation, besides I can also assume that you are taking it as little as it is possible, isn’t it? I can guess that maybe a switch to the ibuprofen could be possible. Another thing that I can guess it is that you are in the USA and this most likely means that you are going to get through a very expensive therapy (yeah, maybe you didn’t know, but interferon treatment is very expensive) but then again, we are talking about curing hepatitis C, it is logical it would be expensive. And I really think that if you could afford it all, then it is surely worth the cost and surely worth to try it out.

But if you are in the UK then you should know that for anybody who is in this situation (there), then if you are meeting all the requirements (not to drink and so on and so forth) then the treatment is being available on the NHS. Really hope this is going to help and most of all I hope that you’ll have success with the treatment. best of luck and take care of yourself.

HullUp

Thank you very much for your very good feedback and taking your time posting that. indeed, yes APAP it is a very big concern for me, I am currently using the lowest amount that it is possible in the pain medicines that I am using. But since interferon it is so expensive then I really doubt that it would be feasible for me currently due to the fact that I am having no insurance and this is a real problem. and yeah, regarding the ibuprofen – I do know that it would be much better for me, but I am only using it when my cervical spine pain it is not way too bad and I somehow can resist it only by taking ibuprofen. Either way, as I said – thank you very much for your concerns, advices and posting that.

Hello there OP, I hope very much that you’re going to get help from interferon but you’ve got to know that interferon treatments can reek havoc on some certain people like for example my brother. My brother has been diagnosed with hepatitis C plus or minus 6 years ago. even today we are not sure and we don’t know how he has got it and where, however he is pretty well inked up (really, a lot of tattoos) and so we think that he has most likely been having this hepatitis c for more than 10 years before he has got the diagnose and meantime he has been drinking alcohol very badly nearly every single day. because of all this combination, it has gone waaay beyond affecting his liver. He has had to stop taking the interferon 2 times because he has been getting some really really bad side effects. it may ultimately take him out but at least he is on disability and so on and he is living rent free on a property that I am owning so that everything that he needs to concern himself with is this gnarly dose of the hepatitis C. I honestly think that what is happening is truly nor fair, life is not fair and generally everything. I have already lost my father, I have lost my older sister because she has been brutally killed by a maniac in ’85 and I really do not want to lose my brother now. I am tired of burying my siblings. Life is just joking on me. and I am sorry for rambling… I do know that this is TMI, however when I have seen this post it made me feel all the pain again… this topic is really striking a chord with me.

sssss

hello OP, I am sorry I came too late because I see this is quite an old thread now, however I still wanted to help you by sharing what I know about it. and so, interferon treatments can reek havoc on some people and I do know it because 'some people' are such as my brother. well, my brother has been diagnosed with it like 7 years or so ago. he is not very sure how he has got it but we still have an idea since he is pretty well inked up we guess that's when and where he got it, either way, most likely he has been walking around with it for more than a decade now prior to got his diagnosis and this is in the time while he has been drinking very and very much every single day (and by saying a lot and every day - I am not exaggerating). I guess there is no need for me to mention that all of this has gone way much more beyond affecting his liver. he has had to stop with the Interferon 2 times because of the extremely and extremely bad side effects that he has got from using it. we don't know so far, it may ultimately take him out, however at least he is not on disability and so on and so forth…. plus to that, he is now living rent free on a property that it is mine so that everything that he needs to be concerned of right now is himself and to battle this gnarly dosage of Hepatitis C life is not really fair. whatever the case, I am trying my best to help my brother… I have already lost my sister who has been brutally murdered years ago and I really don't want to bury another sibling of mine… and yeah… I am sorry… I do know this is TMI, however when I have seen this topic it just stroke a chord with me so I couldn't abstain… hope it will help.