Is bad to use both antidepressants and diet pills??

ThintOZ7

Hi everyone. I really want to know if it is bad to use anti depressants and diet pills at the same time?? I’m just asking this because I have been prescribed Lexapro and I am thinking to use hoodia/diuretics too. by the way, I am also using an Erectile Dysfunction pill whenever I need it and I have started to use it because of the Lexapro which decreased my sexual function. ED medication with the antidepressant did not seemed to have a bad reaction taken at the same time, however I am afraid that it diet pills (hoodia/diuretics) could have some bad effects with the anti depressant (lexapro). Is it true or I’m just a paranoid??

miranda2

I would give it to your doc or your pharmacist only to make sure that what you are intending to mix is not going to have a bad reaction with all those meds that you have already taking. You could ask them about all the 3 taken together and if you take something else about that one too. your doc should be able to ask to all of your questions.
I am currently on some anti-depressants that have been prescribed to me by my psychiatrist, however I do not think that if I would ask him to prescribe some diet pills – he would do it. some years ago I have been on adipex and that stuff really worked, however later I have gained all the weight back and even some more…

What I know from my own experience is that diet pills are working only as a short term, you are going to lose some weight but then, when you would quit to use those pills you are going to gain the weight back. Either you have to take those diet pills all your entire life (which I think it is not safe) either you have to do it in the natural way – that’s what I have done. after I gained lots of weight after I have quit the pills I decided to take only the natural route. I kept myself away of carbs and fats as well as sugars and I’m always trying to be in a good shape by exercising regularly as well as drinking lots of water, it does take you a longer time to achieve your goal but in the end – you’re gonna achieve it. and by the way, I have tried multiple diet pills – they either do not have any effects or they are working as I have posted above.

Anyway, even if you still decide to take diet pills I hope that they are going to work in a different way that they have worked for me, even so I still think the best is natural. best of luck

Bedeencion1980

Well, I am, by no means, no doctor, no expert, no professor or anything in this regard so everything I am going to say is subjective. So, technically talking, as much as I know these 2 meds do not have anything with each other which means that they should not have any adverse reactions with each other when taken together. That is why, I assume that it is mostly going to depend only on you, on the way how your body is going to react on both of them so while some people might say it is not affecting them at all (when they are taking both of them) others might find them to have unpleasant side effects or maybe they could offset each other’s benefits. Talking about offsetting effects – it is known that there are some antidepressants that can make you to gain some weight and by taking some diet pills, this may help to prevent this phenomenon to happen. However, it is also known that there are some diet pills that are able to cause depression and this could offset the antidepressant’s effects. having all that said you’re going to achieve nothing – you don’t lose weight and you don’t treat your depression, all you do is swallowing a bunch of pills. as I said, I can’t back up my words – this is only from what I have heard, seen and so on. My suggestion for you would be to take only one med at a time so in this way you could heal your condition and you’re able to avoid any of some possible side effects that can arise from it or from the other medication. just think what’s more important for you – treating depression or losing weight?
Anyway, in the end – you can ask your doc what he thinks about it.

Stoge0315

I don’t know but I have heard that there are some antidepressants that are having as a side effect also to lose weight. I think that in case you can find that antidepressant and to take it with a weight loss drug then they could have amazing results on your weight. But this is also only my opinion so I might be wrong. I’ve just heard somebody saying that antidepressants made him to lose weight and I thought that this plus diet pills could work amazingly together…

ThintOZ7

hi everyone once again and thank you each one of you for your very informative replies! i guess that in the end i'm just going to talk with my doc about this and ask him what he thinks about this, maybe then I'll ask some other doc's too (multiple opinions never hurt), i'm going to compare each one's responses and then I'll make a conclusion! thanks again!

popo

I think that you should avoid taking both of them, that’s because I have read some post on some other forums and it was also related to this question of yours (about using both antidepressants and diet pills) and the person who created that post said that when she combined both of those meds she almost died, she said that she was feeling horrible each day because those things were making her to have horrible ups and downs. she was using phentermine as diet pills and Cymbalta for depression and she recommended us all NOT to use them together!

tameeka

Hey there ThintOZ7, look. Antidepressants generally are able to cause you some very serious side effects, it mainly depends on the type you’re using. There are main 2 types and the first type is the MAOI inhibitors while the second type are the SSRIs. From the first type, there is a longer list of some medications that you do not have to mix with them and in the second type the list is a little bit shorter. In the end of the day, each person is reacting in a different way to different medications and depending on persons, any combination could cause you some bad reactions! Everybody’s chemical make up is different and you can’t know what effects you would have from using both of them and I’m not sure if it’s worth of trying to find it out… personally, I have found out that I am allergic to some of the both types and that’s even without trying to combine them together. More to that, these (relatively) new antidepressants like for example Lexapro as you said or/and Cymbalta as popo mentioned, they are very hard to detox from and this is very important to take in consideration! In my life I have been through withdrawals from both opiates and from them and they have been even harsh than coming off opiates, trust me. whatever you decide to do – I wish you good luck and hope you’re going to be healthy!