Is herpes life threatening?

Felicia_Feliz

Hi all. I am a little bit worried. There is a friend of mine who just has found out that he has herpes, however, she refuses to get it treated. I have told her that she needs to visit a doctor about it and to get it treated properly, however she only said that all she needs is Valtrex for treating it and that’s it. however, I really do not want her to use some meds left and right just like that because if it’s not treated properly and if she takes meds that she actually does not need – it can end bad. At least that’s what I know. could you give me some advices please? is herpes life threatening if it’s left untreated?

MBernic

Oh well, herpes infection is having several types and for a proper treatment you need to determine which type your friend is suffering from. and yeah, among some of those types – there are some of which CAN be life threatening and it is very good that you want to help your friend. Regarding for the medication “Valtrex” yeah, it is a medication that it is used in order to help with herpes, however – you are right, she cannot (not advised) to self medicate just like that. your best bet is to try making your friend to visit a doctor that can help with this because she really need to be seen by a doc who can best determine which type of herpes she is suffering from and there she can determine which type of medication she needs (which one would be the best for her). it is not excluded that there are chances that Valtrex would be what she needs, however it is better to be safe than sorry, I think.

Refes1989

Well, look… she needs to see a doctor. My advice would be: go and visit a doc, otherwise just suffer the consequences and don’t be mad at this world. She should think twice as to why she doesn’t want to visit a doctor. To have diarrhea can be life threatening. Just go and ask some people in Africa who are dying from it nearly daily. To have the flue can also be life threatening. In fact, nearly anything can be life threatening in case it is being left untreated. People in the past, when they were not having doctors and medications at their disposal – were dying from the very simple health issues. Even nowadays people from very poor regions like for example Africa are dying from them. as I said – you either go to doctor either be prepared for the consequences.

tameeka

well, both you and your friend should know that herpes can be misdiagnosed very easily. I am goig to do my best to help you out, however you need to be aware that I am by no means a doctor so don’t take my advice as a “doctor’s words” or anything in this matter. do as your doctor told you to do. I am just reading a lot, so, all of the following information that I am going to share with you below is all based from my memory. Having this said, I don’t exclude the fact that something might be wrong, this is why if anything is being incorrect then please, somebody correct me (I won’t be offended).

There are 2 types of Herpes, the Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV 1) and the herpes simples (obviously) 2 (HSV 2). In most of the cases, HSV 1 is appearing in form of some cold sores or some fever blisters around the lips, around the mouth and sometimes even on the tongue, however it can also be spread to the genital region either. In the same time, HSV 2 at least in most of the cases, is being found in the genital regions compared to HSV 1. But, exactly as HSV 1, it can also be spread to the mouth area as well. when most of the people are referring to the HSV 2, they are actually talking about the genital herpes, and when they are talking about the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV 1) they are referring to the cold sores that are around the mouth. But, it is very important to know the fact that there are 2 types of different viruses due to the fact that for each one of them there are different medicines needed for healing them. there are (so far) no cures that help with both of HSV 1 and HSV 2. Also, you need to know that, in fact, there are no cures (so far) at all for either one of them. I’m going to explain this below. 

It has been established that there is a very big and high percentage of Americans who are having the HSV 1 (as much as I can remember – I have read that it is somewhere between 40-45 % of Americans but note that I have read this somewhere back in 2010 – 2011, the numbers might have grown up or went down since then). It is also known that some of those people don’t even know that they are having it due to the fact that they have never had a breakout or their breakouts are so so small and so infrequent (sometimes only 1 or twice in their entire life) that they do not even know and not notice them so they don’t know that they carry this virus. You should know (very important) that HSV 1 can be transmitted from birth, kissing somebody who is having HSV 1, by sharing some drinking glasses and these types of things, etc. also, you should know that in case somebody is having an HSV 1 outbreak then it is being possible that they could spread the HSV 1 virus to some other person’s not only mouth/lips etc. but also to the person’s genitals in case oral sex is being given. Outbreaks can occur (mostly) monthly, yearly, or even more infrequently (as I said, there are people who have had it only 1 time or 2 times in their entire life, although there are also very rare cases when people are having them weekly). Also, it is very hard to determine the exact causes of the outbreaks, however it is known that it can be related to one’s diet, medications, stress, as well as a plenty of other factors too. also, it has been determined that typically, the first outbreak it is the worst one and each outbreak that is following after is usually getting smaller and smaller. Once again, this is why there are some people who are having it only 2 times in their entire life or some other people who never had an outbreak ever again after the first occurrence of the HSV 1 or HSV 2.

A person that it is being infected with either the HSV 1 or the HSV 2 it is the most “contagious” when they are having an outbreak (though, I think that everybody knew this information). particulatly it is most contagious in the first few days after the physical symptoms have shown up. this is the reason why only because of the fact that a sore it is not visible, it does not mean that it cannot be spread to somebody else.

Now, as I have said it above – there is no cure for either form of the virus. Medicine has not got so far to completely eliminate this form of virus from the body of the person who carries it. that is why, such kind of medicines like for example Valtrex are helping to limit the frequency of the occurrences as well as they may lessen the severity of the outbreak. But it does not get you rid of it completely.

And now, regarding your question for the herpes being life threatening – yeah or no then I can tell you this: herpes is most dangerous and life threatening when a women is delivering a baby and it is having either an HSV 1 or HSV 2 outbreak certainly to her genital region. This virus can be spread to the newborn and in some of the cases it can be fatal to the infant (since the body of an infant cannot fight with the virus so well as an adult healthy body). In rest of the cases – there are no reports of somebody dying from herpes (although I don’t know how dangerous it is for somebody who has SERIOUS problems with autoimmune diseases).

Please, provide us with as much information as it is being possible. I have learned most of this information due to the fact that I have once thought that I am having herpes myself and I have been interested in how it works and so on. I have went to the doctor asking him more questions and he has determined that it has been only a bad ingrown hair. He has told me that it is an very common thing for people to misdiagnose herpes (like I have done) due to the fact that it is looking very similar to an ingrown hair or to a pimple.

In case you are having some other questions then feel free to ask me anything about them as I am ready to help with anything I can. I would really try to assist you further with all I can. even with all of this information handy, your friend really need to go to a doctor because we won’t be able to determine anything over the internet. I wish you both good luck!

Mary Heaven

So well… no… I don’t think that it is life threatening, though I am not an expert… just my opinion. it is only from what I have read and heard through the years, it is that people who has them can live a long time with it and no problems… everything they are going to experience is those occasional “outbreaks” and if it’s true what tameeka said then they are going to be less and less frequent and severe (as much as I understood…) but even so, even when you would have them then they can be lessened with the help of medication so no worries, I think. also again, in case tameeka is right then look how many people are having it. so it is mostly only a viral problem and surely not a death sentence. Even if you would have it then you can still live yourself a great life. of course, preferably not to have it at all, but I guess that even if you do then it is not a big deal, a little bit of caution and that’s it. also I think that you have to be cautious because it an spread to others very easily (this is true 100% - I’ve read it everywhere).

ExEctim

Yeah, your friend might find that medication useful for what he has but it depends. As it has been stated, it might not be herpes at all as it is easily misdiagnosed and even if it is then it surely depends on what type of herpes. Having this said, your friend should have better go and see a doctor who can diagnose it 100% with herpes and tell what type. Then she can start a proper treatment. you should know (and your friend too) and herpes itself is a pretty broad term and even if that’s not a death sentence, still better to see a doctor.

Besides, tameeka is right. I’ve also read that information somewhere else a few years ago and I recalled it. I agree 100% with her. but I’ve also noticed that she forgot something to mention: it is important to add that herpes also can be spread to the eyes. This is very important because as you can understand and as much as I can believe, it could cause blindness. Another point why it is so important to visit a doctor even by simply having herpes. This is the reason why it is so important that when you (or your friend) has an outbreak then you need to be sure that you are washing your hands very well before you are going to touch your eyes (or anybody else’s). I personally think that if herpes is spread to the eyes it can be very damaging and as I said, it could even lead to blindness. So please, be careful.

Something else to mention here it is that you need to be very cautious of not sharing towels either. It is true that it is very contagious and you can get it with every little touch. That is why if you (or your friend) is using a towel on a lesion then it needs to go into the wash immediately. there might be somebody else who could use the same towel that may have touched that lesion and… yeah, that virus can easily spread to that person. Obviously it depends on how you and the other person is using that towel, however why would you elevate the chances of getting it or spreading it? I am pretty sure that herpes is nothing that you should mess and play around with, better avoid it as much as you can ‘cuz it is truly very contagious.

Meeson

Firstly I have to say that it is not all that safe. I do know that genital herpes in women, in case it is left untreated by some medication (I guess such meds like Valtrex) then it could cause cervical cancer somewhere later in life and we can assume that it is because of herpes, isn’t it? this does not mean that it should scare you but it means that your friend need to be careful. I just think that your girlfriend need to visit a doctor as soon as it is possible in order to get a medication and to get a HPV vaccine as well. (but, HSV and HPV are 2 different things and I am definitely not a doctor so I am only typing some things that I am having a little bit of knowledge about…).

Plus, it is also not all that safe because it is increasing depression and the suicidal thoughts… not sure if this counts… but it is still there so I assume it is a risk, right? so I think that your friend need to visit a doctor regardless of what’s that. I’ve always said: it is better to be safe than sorry.

Georgia St

Oh well, I one have never heard of herpes affecting an adult in such a way that would lead to death, however I think that what have been said above certainly can happen… I think. it is one true thing that herpes can surely make a person to feel quite miserable in case it is not treated that is why it NEEDS to be treated. But, it is true that it is lethal for newborn babies. I have even heard myself of herpes killing an infant… child born vaginally to mother who have had herpes… I am not sure but as much as I can remember I have seen that on an TV show and where the doctor there (she) was talking about the unusual deaths and on the list was this child who died from herpes. It is true whoever said that it is because of their immune system. As much as I can remember, that doctor was talking about the baby who died from herpes (and these risks) due to the fact that the newborn babies immune system it is not fully developed at child birth so that’s how it happens. besides, I am not sure whether I remember it very well, but as much as I know, there is not very much about one can do about that if it does happen because as it is known, there is no cure for herpes that can eliminate it completely, so there’s nothing for the medicine to do in such a case. Everything that can be done is if the mother knows that she is having herpes and she needs to get a C Section, because if she won’t then the child may die from this virus.

It was really a very and very sad outcome and since that day I somehow became afraid of getting this herpes virus….

Julieta

So well… yeah, I would also check it very well and get it diagnosed. I can say that it is very important to get it properly diagnosed. So well, I do not mind to get personal that is why I am going to share my scare with you hoping that it will help somebody out there.

Very well, I have had one lesion on my vagina and it has been something that I obviously never seen in the past so, it obviously scared me out. even though I have had no certain reasons to suspect that I have got herpes, there has been a friend of mine who not so long ago have been diagnosed with it (vaginally) so I have been extremely aware. Besides, I am that person who is truly believing in regular testing as well as regular HIV testing and that’s even if you are not high risk at all… this is mostly something like social responsibility you know? or something that makes me be  secure that I am all fine. so well, having this said, I am still nowadays getting rested regularly although I am now in a near 4 years old relationship (which is monogamous) that I am having absolutely no doubts that my partner is faithful to me (because he is truly a godsend to me!!! – the perfect man)

Anyway, I have went to Planned Parenthood as I have been too embarrassed to see my regular PCP (something that played a very big role here in my embarrassment is that she is more like a family friend than a family doctor) and even though I do know that it is silly… I have been only 21 years old and I was scared AF. Anyways, the gynecologist at the planned parenthood firstly thought that it has been herpes, although it has been only one lesion…. She has done a culture and the results came back to be negative. Then later I have found out that in case you are having some high stress levels then it could cause you such kind of lesions. Frankly, I am not dealing with stress very well… the law school is stressing me a lot plus flu… it has lead me to some pretty serious autoimmune disease and in the end it lead to the chronic pains.

It has also been suggested, as I previously have had chicken pocks when I have been a child and there has been something itchy bump under my eyes, on the exact same side as the lesion, it could just have been a minor case of shingles either. I have learned that when you are getting shingles, all of the physical manifestations and symptoms are tending to show up on one single side of the body.. it is pretty much in the same family with the herpes, however it is not as contagious or as severe as herpes. And it is also not sexually transmitted.

Not sure whether this would help or not but I really hope so and I wish your friend good luck with this.