Lamotrigine is an anti epilepsy drug or mood stabilizer?

krazy008

I was interesting in finding some answers about Lamotrigine. I just started to use it some time ago, and besides the fact that it actually helps me to control my epilepsy I actually observed that it started to influence positively my mood. I have found there some mentions like mood stabilizer, but I’m still not sure if this effect was totally provoked by this drug. The most important thing is that I’m a little bit scared. If the drug influence my mood what will happen after I’ll quit it? Wouldn’t I get used with it?

I have passed through the same thing some years ago, I have used a drug that provoked dependence to me, and it was really hard to get rid of it, because I always felt like I’ll have major problems if I quit it.

Lomotrigine relaxes me that am why I feel like there is no problem in this world that I can’t afford and that such an interesting euphoria that I have never felt before. I’m quite sure that is the effect of Lomotrigine, but I would like to be sure, and to find out if there is somebody else who experienced the same thing. Please help me finding out more info, and don’t forget about dependence problems. Thank you.

TcierraT

I use it since I was little, and I have never had problems with it. As I know this is a type of drug made especially for those who have convulsions and can’t control them, that’s why it’s quite difficult to have dependence as it is made in order to help you control convulsions. I think that is a drug provoke dependence this mean that after a short period of time you wouldn’t be able to control convulsions anymore, as your body will be able to control the effect of the drug over the convulsions you get. About the fact that this could provoke you a good mood, it could be like you described, I remember something similar what I started to use it, but I can assure you that you’ll be ok when you would like to quit it or to change it.  Although I still can’t understand why would you like to quit it? I have never used a better drug before and I recommend you a long rug usage. Anyway I understand that all we are different and that one drug that helped me is able to create problems to other. So if you are not sure, you are always allowed to talk with a doctor and to ask all the questions you want, this is the most appropriate way to feel sure about what you use

krazy008

I really hope that you are right and getting used with this drug will be such a shame, because I have heard so many good reviews about it and I hope that you are really right about all of this. I’m not sure I have to talk about it with my doctor, because technically there is no problem, and I feel okay for now.

GreenUp

I think that you are both right, and if you feel okay for now, if you don’t have any problems than I think that you have to use it.  However I think that you started to use this drug because your doctor recommended it to you, that’s why in most cases it actually is okay. The mood stabilizer is a part of this drug. For some of people it works other doesn’t feel the difference, it depends from one to another. A lot of patients really like the effect of this drug. So if you feel a positive effect on your mood than you’re really lucky.

diannnne

Oh I think that drug is very effective for depression. In fact when my doctor prescribed me this one for the first time I thought there was a mistake, as I found there written that actually is a drug that controls convulsions. I talked with my doctor and he explained that actually this is a drug for both problems and that he could prescribe me a drug that totally responds for mood only and depression, but he thinks that this drug is better than a lot of other drugs. So I think that is okay, there is a reason why this drug has these both effects.