Oil pulling

Windsor

Recently have heard about oil pulling remedy for oral health, and I would like to hear your reviews on it. I have heard that it is extremely beneficial to swish coconut oil in your month for some minutes it can improve oral health. I have used Listerine instead that has some added oils in it, as I remember something like eucalypt. Which one to use the natural one or the Listerine? Are they the same thing or not?

dessiepower

This is a good remedy I have tried it some time ago and I liked it. I think it can’t be compared with Listerine because you can understand that swishing a spoon of coconut oil in your month doesn’t include other chemicals or added things that Listerine does, so I think that using coconut oil, or other oils is much better than using Listerine.

LaRocca1

Oil pulling is amazing. I use it every morning before work after I wash my teeth and I can add an important thing, is that it has also health benefits to your body, coconut oil has a lot of antioxidants which helps the body to get rid of toxins and fulfill your body with good fat which improves digestion if you used it on empty stomach, and help you to burn more fat, as well as eliminating the bad fat cells from your body. I truly recommend you to use coconut oil instead of Listerine. Just remember that you can use coconut oil for more different usages not just for your oral health.

Inattica

oh yeah, I definitely do agree with those 2 posters dessiepower and LaRocca1 saying that this is a good remedy. OP, you should try it yourself and see how it works for you. but generally they are right. organic virgin coconut oil is having a lot of beneficial properties that a lot of people don't know of but these beneficial properties the Indians have been using for a lot of years now and it is indeed very beneficial. as you, OP, said that this remedy seems to be there for a while, Indians uses it for a lot of years, but lately it just seem to get more popular among other people. and among all of those beneficial properties virgin coconut oil has - this oil pulling method it is just only one of all of them. and yeah, indeed, it does works, however it really must be REAL VIRGIN and ORANIC coconut oil if you want it to be helpful (if this is the oil that you decide to use). you need to know that this is one of those many practices of the Ayurveda  (and by the way, for those who don't know - I am a Ayurvedic practitioner, and I say this because I've discussed about this with a lot of members on this site and they know it) and this is a holistic system of medicine that has evolved in India approximately 3000 to even 5000 years ago (that's why I said that Indians have been using it for a lot of years now) and it is also a system of traditional medicine that it is native to the Indian subcontinent and now it is being practiced in some other parts of the world as being a form of the complementary medicine. having all of that said - this is a really good medicine that seems to be getting more and more in popularity and I think that this is for a good reason - it is helping greatly!

regarding this method in particular - oil pulling can be done with using oils like for example sunflower oil or sesame oil. the sesame plant (which is being called sesamum indicum) of the Pedaliaceae family has been considered to be a really big gift of nature to the humanity and mankind because of its really really big, helpful and vast nutritional qualities and desirable health effects. in fact, I can tell you that this sesame oil is being considered to be the queen of the oil seed crops due to its extremely beneficiary effects that it has.

also, the Gandusha as well as Kavala Graha (search for them on google if you're interested) are the 2 main oral cleansing techniques (which is why I recommended to google them for more details). but anyway, in a few words I can tell you: these are being specialized therapy (therapies) in order to both treat and also to prevent oral diseases too. talking about the first cleansing technique I mentioned - Gandusha, this is involving filling the mouth fully and completely with fluid (with VCO you just need to let it to dissolve in the mouth and that's due to the fact that it is not going to be in the liquid state unless you are living somewhere where it is a very warm climate) so that gargling is just impossible. In the Gandush technique, the oral cavity is being filled completely with liquid medicine, it is being held for approximately 3 to 5 minutes and then it is being released. this would do the trick. but again, for more detailed explanation search for it yourself. now, in the second technique that I mentioned Kavala Graha - quite a comfortable amount of the fluid it is being retained with the patient's mouth closed for approximately 3 minutes and after that it is being all gargled. this is one very simple rejuvenating as well as healing treatment that when it is being done on a regular basis, it is enhancing the senses, it is  giving about a feeling of freshness, it is maintaining clarity and it is even invigorating the mind a bit. and yeah, these 2 oral cleansing techniques I described also can benefit bad breath (there are a lot of people complaining on this and then benefitting from doing either one of these 2 methods), they can also help with dry face, loss of taste, sore throat, dull sense, impaired vision, exhaustion, anorexia (because people suffering from one or often multiple of the effects I just mentioned leads the person to anorexia) as well as all kapha related imbalances. (and yeah, I am not going to explain kapha at this current point due to the fact if would me, in my personal opinion TMI!).

those countries with a history of traditional medicine should support IMO and to integrate traditional medicine into national health system in a combination with the national policy because this way a lot much more people would be able to benefit from this. the use of some quality and safe products as well as practices, again IMO, must be ensured, based on the available evidence and the traditional medicine really needs to be acknowledged as a part of primary health care since there are a lot of people benefitting from it and it is known to have little to no side effects at all. not doing this is a big mistake in my opinion, but anyway… that's just my subjective opinion. but I would also say that it is also being required to ensure each patient safety and that's can be done by upgrading and improving the skills and knowledge of the traditional medicine providers. if that's would be done, I am quite sure that there would be very few people suffering from different and vast side effects that they might be dealing for the rest of their life as a result of another treatment, especially compared to the number of these patients that are suffering now because of this. the scientific validations of the Ayurveda dental health practices that are being given above could very easily justify their incorporation into the modern dental care. the publicity of those techniques using some appropriate media would very easily benefit the general population by giving some more confidence in the ancient practices and therefore we would be able to prevent tooth decay and loss at a much bigger rate. but until (and if) these methods would be implemented in the national and primary health care - each person needs to be inform themselves on this and benefit without the help of "others".

Schmidt

well… look.. I just think that this just sounds like a bunch of nonsense and this method in no way can be better than the modern medicine and methods. I'm just trying to be honest here and I won't be lying. that's my opinion. I've seen that there's some kind of a doctor saying all of this and he even had one show talking about this. but I just think that if you have such kind of issues then you simply need to go with the standard toothbrush and toothpaste (of course, lol), go with mouthwash and floss. doing all of this and especially if going to a dentist every year as well then I am 99% sure that you won't be having any dental issues. and I am not saying this just out of nothing. I have been searching for this myself because I've seen my mom watching that doctor and his show where he came up with his non science based remedies. I have tried to search a bit of info on this so I came to the conclusion - there is in absolutely no way that this could be working better than the normal standard dental care.

and also, Inattica, please understand me right. I honestly think that this might work to at least some degree and that's just due to the mechanical swooshing around. I really do not want to say that it is not going to do anything at all, what I am trying to say is that I think that this would most likely be far less effective than a mouthwash and as I said - general modern dental medicine. and in addition to that, you would not need to swoosh mouthwash for like 20 minutes or so. another thing here is that I really don't want to offend you or anything in this matter, but everybody knows that India in particular is not being known for their super good hygiene… swooshing anything around in your mouth for so long (20 minutes or so) would most likely remove at least some of the bacteria (and be that simple water or virgin coconut oil), but the thing is that I am quite sure that it is going to be far less effective than a toothbrush with a  toothpaste and especially in a combination with floss and mouthwash after that. toothbrush would get out the bacteria well and anywhere with the toothpaste has special ingredients for killing bacteria, the floss would take care of the rest remaining and in the end the mouthwash which also has the killing bacteria properties (based on modern medicine) would surely do the trick. and that's especially if, in the end of it all, swooshing that mouthwash for 20 minutes. just in case gargling with fat was a top notch dental procedure , than it stands to the reason that the dentist would be using it. do you know what they are calling holistic medicine that it is working and has been carefully tested by an entire scientific community? well, that's what they are calling it medicine. I do understand what you are trying to say, but you just have to understand it in a way or another, even though I am not a medic or don't have to do anything with the medical community, I am 99% sure that this process has not been adopted by the modern medicine (and reaaaaaally doubt that would ever be adopted) due to the fact that it is much less effective than the standard which is currently being approved by the AMA dental regimen. and as you can see… this is not only my opinion, this is the opinion of an entire medical and scientifically community and I am quite sure that this must talk about something, isn't it?

Inattica

I really do not want to say that it is not going to do anything at all, what I am trying to say is that I think that this would most likely be far less effective than a mouthwash and as I said - general modern dental medicine. and in addition to that, you would not need to swoosh mouthwash for like 20 minutes or so. another thing here is that I really don't want to offend you or anything in this matter, but everybody knows that India in particular is not being known for their super good hygiene… swooshing anything around in your mouth for so long (20 minutes or so) would most likely remove at least some of the bacteria (and be that simple water or virgin coconut oil), but the thing is that I am quite sure that it is going to be far less effective than a toothbrush with a  toothpaste and especially in a combination with floss and mouthwash after that. toothbrush would get out the bacteria well and anywhere with the toothpaste has special ingredients for killing bacteria, the floss would take care of the rest remaining and in the end the mouthwash which also has the killing bacteria properties (based on modern medicine) would surely do the trick. and that's especially if, in the end of it all, swooshing that mouthwash for 20 minutes.
</p><p> </p><p>Schmidt, I just want to pay attention to this part as this pretty much resumes it all so I am just going to tell this… I really have no intentions to offend you either but you are surely not correct and you have lack of evidence. what you're trying to say is that an entire medical community agrees with you, but you don't know this from personal experience, do you? so you're wrong, I personally do know several (not one and not 2, but several) dentists that are highly recommending this method (I'm specifically talking about oil pulling). yeah, they are professional dentists, yeah they do use modern methods, yeah they are working with modern medical stuff, but they are also using some other methods when it is needed. and that's what I am talking about. you say that these methods that I recommend (and other professional dentists) shouldn't be applied at all and should be applied only modern methods. you are trying to say that these methods should be kind of banned and there's no need in them. I, on the other hand, don't want to say that modern medicine is useless and shouldn't be used. I totally do agree that in lots of cases modern medicine is absolutely mandatory, so in the end I just want to say that both methods should be done - when needed. but anyway, I also want to say that I also have an LPRN, and traditional westernised mouthwash has been proven (yeah, medically and scientifically) to aggravate the patient's situation with mouth sores and gum disease (hereditary) while doing it, and in the end - the method that I am talking about - helped them.</p><p> </p><p><br />and yeah, one more thing here: we are not talking here about the "Indian hygiene" as you have mentioned there that is not being popular for having a "super hygiene level", but we are talking about Ayurveda and if you would be kind enough doing a research on this you would see that these are 2 completely different subject matters that don't have anything with each other. in the end, what I am trying to say is that a bit of research never hurts but very often it helps!</p>

LaRocca1

Schmidt, as Inattica, I also do not want to offend you, however I do agree with her and I also think that you are incorrect in saying that. I also agree with her that researching very often helps and it never hurts so I, instead of saying that something is wrong without researching, try to research and learn as much as I can.

but I just think that you need to know that the basic reason as to why the dentists usually are not recommending this it is due to the fact that they are believers of western medicine ONLY and just think a bit of this… this is surely not in their best interest when talking about money. and not let's think a bit further… 99% of dentists are not working as dentists because they want to see people's dirty mouths, they just want money and everybody knows that being a dentist is profitable. so what would be their profit as long as they give you ancient, nearly free, methods? and yeah, nobody tries to change your mind, you might think and believe whatever you want and that' just fine, but you just need to know that there are a lot of people who have had extremely big help and big results with oil pulling. and let's be honest here - if you would have some dental problems and assuming that you know 100% for sure that oil pulling method would work for you, what you would opt for? oil pulling which is all natural, 0 chemicals, 0 side effects and it is much more cheap, or the western medicine which is full of chemicals, requires lots of money and you never know if you would have or not side effects? I guess the answer is obvious here.

Damme

yeah, that's definitely correct - the mouthwashes and toothpastes are all full of chemicals that you are daily putting in your body and they might be more helpful period. I mean, they might help you quicker when you have a dental issue or whatever. help you more for the moment. but you put in your body chemicals. I am using pure, virgin and fully organic (non gmo) coconut oil only and I am all fine and it really does help me! I know for sure that it has absolutely no chemicals, it is all perfectly natural and we are all too fond of our poisonous chemical concoctions when we do know that the simplest natural solutions are the best. and I just think that the modern medicine is absolutely needed when there's already a really big dental issue. like for example when there's a need in surgery or whatever. but when you just want to keep your dental hygiene in a good condition and you obviously need to do something about it daily, then I just think that the natural solutions are best because you daily put in your body something natural than something full of chemicals. that's what I do and that's what I recommend to others.

DeoNeo

so well, hi everyone. here is my personal recommendation and advice for those who are interested in it… I have never had a cavity since and to be honest with you, I really do not spend that time that I used to flossing in the past and even brushing 3 times per day every single day. what I recommend you guys it is to simply invest a bit of your money in a Oral B professional Rechargeable Electric toothbrush with the "flossing" brush heads. you might be hesitant when you would see its price, but I still think that it is worth the investment and I have some very big doubts that you would regret. you might see the "flossing" brush heads and I know that you might be asking me: do they really floss? well, let's just be honest here and I tell you: no they don't. but as I said, I still think that it is worth every single penny. and so, here's why I think this way: it is so simple and it really does work and does a good job. the action of the brush head and of the floss ones are getting between the teeth much better than regular (once again, it is still not a floss, as I have said, but better) and you can get all around the tooth and so on and so forth. it does a very good job with this. it is such a good thing that now, honestly, I can't stand when I am travelling and I do not have my Oral B brush now. it's like I don't have one extremely important thing for my life. and it's like the same. it's like I forget medications that I can't live without. it does such a good job that when I bought it - I didn't even though that it can work so good. it has made my teeth so so much cleaner that everybody noticed. you can see the difference very well. but yeah, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to the dentist anymore. even so you would still need to go and see your dentist for like 2 times per year (normally) or AT LEAST one time a year in order to get the tartar off your teeth. in fact, to be honest, I really do not believe that there are any possible ways to completely avoid tartar at all 100%. that's why one visit per year to a dentist is mandatory. plus, if you start developing some dental issues - your dentist can see them at an early stage and so it can get healed easier.

and yeah, of course and sure thing that you are able to get the basic dental instruments, nobody tells you not to. we have them as my wife has been working as a dental hygienist in the past so we have them handy now. but anyway, I personally really do not like to put a surgical steel pick to my teeth and that's unless you do know for sure at all 100% what you are doing, otherwise just don't.

but anyway, I can swear by those toothbrushes! honestly! just try them and see yourself. I am not a fan at all of the other brand Sonic because it is not even close to this one. I do know because I have purchased one of this for my wife a few years ago and no.. thanks. my wife hated it! then later when I saw that she can't stand that Sonic brand, I have purchased her an Oral B exactly as mine (I've been using mine for nearly a year then) and she said that this one is A LOT much more better than that thing. she says that she hated that one, but she does love this one. so there's an enormous difference and she also said that she hates manual brushes too now. I mean, she obviously wasn't hating them in the past, but after using this Oral B for a good while and then it broke, for like 2 weeks or so she had to use manual brushes and she said that from that moment - she would make sure to have Oral B handy ALWAYS.

both of us absolutely love it as it really does help so I am quite sure that it would help everybody. I can tell you… those little suckers are getting in there just like a dentist's polish tool and they do an extremely good thing. they really help and it is nearly a pleasure to brush with those things, trust me. and yeah, in case there's anybody who reads my post now and thinks about trying one then I just want to warn you, just don't go and buy one from your dentist because, obviously, they are marking them up way too much. they are pricey even without that, but at the dentist they have an unbelievable price. and yeah, even if you do have the money… I really see no need at all for those most expensive ones that are having some extremely useless and silly added features and you pay for them much more, one of those features (as an example) is a timer. why on earth your toothbrush would need a timer? and you pay much more for it because of this silly feature. I think that you do know when you got your teeth clean! or if you're such a "second man" then put a timer on your phone and that's it. no need to spend lots of extra money for this feature.

but yeah, generally, these things are just amazing and as I said, can swear by these brushes. they are doing a great job and yeah… they are not at all as problematic as some of you might think of them. I have had mine for years now and it still has absolutely no issue except for the fact that the batteries are not lasting as long. but even so, this only means that you need to charge it like every 5 days up to a week and that's it. don't get me wrong but if you have a problem charging some batteries once a week then I assume that you must have a problem… no offense. and also please don't take it as an offense for those who are looking for some new ideas but I am quite confident on the fact that the basics does work well and there's no need to complicate your life. I am only adding that a good brushing tool that it is a really good pleasure to use is a really big jump forward in my opinion.

and yeah, one more and last thing that I almost forgot is… you really do not have to get the brush refills from the Oral B. the knock offs are just fine and you have no need to spend extra money either. really hope that this is going to be helpful at least for somebody there… best wishes ;)