Olanzapine’s withdrawals

VictoryA

Here’s the thing: my new psychiatrist has insisted that I need to stop the medication that my old doc has put me on even though I am only on 2.5 mg and this dosage is being considered even lower than the suggested normal dose. By the way, I am also being put on Sertraline 100 mg for my bipolar disorder.

The point is that my new psychiatrist is considering that I am being overmedicated. I have taken olanzapine every other day for 8 days trying to taper it off and the results are far from what I have been thinking that I would have. I have went manic but during the time I have been thinking that I am feeling just fine. so well, I have stopped to use it altogether (I have not been able to sleep for more than approximately 2 hrs in a week) and then I have suddenly woke up that I am in depression without even realizing it.

So well, here is how I am feeling like right now:

- I am not able to sleep for more than 3 hrs during the night even though in the past I have been used to sleep for like 9 to 10 hours.

- now I’m very angry, it is very easily to notice it and everybody around me told me that I’m too aggressive (which also makes me angry too). I feel like I want to punch everybody who is around me and who talks to me. my aggression is way too high.

- I am having a headache that nothing seems to help me with

- I keep on taking risks. I do illegal things. no, I don’t kill or sell narcotics but I do things that are forbidden by the law like for example I have done some graffiti onto some walls in my town with a spray paint and others. I don’t seem to realize the consequences.

- I’m completely paranoid. I’ve noticed it myself but other people around me also noticed. Lately I’m being very convinced that every noise I hear is somebody out there to get me.

- I am very lightheaded. It is a strange feeling like my soul is keep fighting with me trying to get out of my body and my head. Generally my reflexes are none.

- something that worries me is that I am not even sure in what mood I’m in. sometimes I can get mad because I’m laughing.

I do understand and I know that I need to let my doc know about all of this but the problem is that I have tried with no success so far. my new psychiatrist has a secretary and it is impossible to get to him without talking to her. for the last 4 days I have contacted her 4 times. One time every single time but every single time she told me that I am going to get a call back from my doc later that day. as you can understand, my doc never called me back.

I really have no ideas of what should I do know. this is the reason why I am here now. do you think that it would be a good idea to put myself back on the olanzapine even though she said that I should stop? It means that I would go against her suggestions. And yeah, of course this thought came into my mind. I just wanted to ask what do you think about it? this week we have been (and will be) off school. However, I need to go back on Monday and if nothing changes until then… I really can’t go like this. besides the fact that there’s no reason in my going this way because I am completely unable to concentrate and focus on anything – I am sure that I will also do something stupid and I really don’t want to.

I really need your advices. I’ve read some posts here on this forum and I have noticed that here are some really good people that can give me a really good advice. That is why, please, I need your suggestions on what to do. do you think that these are only olanzapine’s withdrawals? Is there somebody who has ever been on olanzapine and then stopped to use it? if yes, did you got these symptoms I have described above? What do you think?? it is going to stop? I really need all of it to stop until Monday. I really count very much on your help because now you seem to be everything I have got because that super doctor is too busy for me. I will wait a little bit more and I guess I will go against her advice… unless you think that it is a bad idea.

DonnaAKyle

Firstly, I need to say that it does not seem to me that you’re suffering from bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder involves a lot more symptoms than the ones you have described. Having this said, I think that you’re not suffering from bipolar disorder but you’re only having a normal teenage behavior. Going manic, being aggressive and feeling lightheaded… pretty much everyone in your age is feeling the same. Also, pretty much this explains why your doc doesn’t call you back. I can’t be sure, of course, but it seems that since your doc isn’t preoccupied about your situation then there’s nothing to be afraid of which means that what I’ve said is true – you’re not having any depression, or bipolar disorder or etc. etc. you’re just going through a teenager period. that’s it. having this said, I would not be afraid if I would be you. just try to relax. Also, pretty much this explains why your doc has stopped you to take the olanzapine? A drug should be taken when a real problem is there. but the teenage period is something normal, is something natural that everybody goes through. I do agree that for somebody it is passing harder than for others. But there’s nothing we can do. and if we start taking meds since such a young age and because we are having a NORMAL condition for a teenager then what would be later? I’m pretty sure your doc. knows what he’s doing. He’s a professional after all. if you would be having a serious condition then he would call you without contacting his secretary. You just need to fight with it, to deal with it etc. just get out with your friends, try to relax find joy in little things etc. don’t think so much about medication, especially in your age.

VictoryA

Hello DonnaAKyle and firstly I want to say thank you for taking your precious time on replying my post BUT there are a couple of things that you should not be so sure about. firstly, you said that bipolar disorder has more symptoms. That’s true, but I obviously did not mentioned you all off the bipolar symptoms I have due to the fact that I thought there is no need in doing that. I haven’t asked for identifying my health issue, I have not asked for a diagnosis, that is why I haven’t told every single of my symptoms. I have only mentioned in my post the symptoms that, in my opinion, are simply the olanzapine’s withdrawals because as you can read, my biggest concern now is olanzapine’s withdrawals.

Now.. I really do not want to sound rude but you are suggesting that going manic and feeling lightheaded are symptoms of a normal teenager behavior. I really do not think so. If what you are saying would be true then all of my friends would feel the same, like me, too… there are girls that might be aggressive while they are on their periods, but firstly not all of them and secondly they do realize, at least later, what they do. but I feel like this always. and it wasn’t happening in the past. There are a lot of reasons why this would make me thing that this isn’t, in fact, my normal teenager behavior but mostly an olanzapine withdrawal. Mostly, and more importantly because i have not been feeling like that when I was on olanzapine. And a lot of things were different in the time I have been on it. so once again, I don’t intend to be rude but what you are saying is crap, I’m afraid… I think that you should have evidence in telling that.

I came here just to search for an advice from experienced people about what I need to do in my situation, but I have only been told that what I am thinking and what I am feeling is not justified (even though, I think that it is pretty much justified) and that I am only a normal teenager and that’s how I should act now. I should not, trust me, and I also feel now that because of some reason, I need to prove myself to you. ok. That’s not a big deal. I have had bipolar symptoms since I have been a kid (otherwise I wouldn’t even be diagnosed by a professional, don’t you think?), however I managed, with help provided, to manage with it. however, I have had a huge breakdown a couple of months ago after my father beat me up so hard that he broke my arm and then I ended up in a homeless hostel and that’s the moment when everything got completely out of my control. The huge breakdown of my life when the bipolar completely started to control me. and yeah, that’s the time when I have been put on that medication. also, there is a reason why I was put a professional on that medication, don’t you think? you said that most likely the doc took me off the medication because I am acting and feeling like a normal teenager. But you don’t know that this new doc barely knows something about me. he hasn’t seen me during that time when I had that huge breakdown.

My old doc did. This new doc obviously knows about that, but he has seen only the “better times” I’ve been through with the help of the medication. and you haven’t thought about that either, surely. But trust, me I don’t want to be bipolar, I would give everything not to be, however I personally think that it would be stupid for me to kid myself that I am actually not when I really do. and there’s enough evidence for proving that!

Anyway, thank you once again for your answer, even though, as you can see, I do not agree with it, I still thank you for replying and taking your time on doing that. if you still seriously think that my new doc has done the right decision then I’m ready to listen, but I want real evidence not assumptions.

MBernic

Hello Victoria and firstly I need to say that I am very sorry for you and for what your father has done to you. there is no such thing for you to do that you father can justify doing that to you. I’m sorry that you suffer from bipolar disorder and that you have had to endure so much in your life.

About your concerns… it is believed that withdrawal symptoms of olanzapine are rare. There are few reports showing that. anyhow, anybody would agree that the withdrawal from the medicine needs to be done gradually and pretty usually, I think that it would take even more than simply “taking the drug every other day for 8 days or so” in order to consider it as a gradual withdrawal course. It could be that this is the problem.

Besides, you should know (and I can’t understand why your doc has done it) that Sertraline with Olanzapine should not have been given to you to use at the same time due to the fact that these 2 drugs are additively or synergistically affecting one another. Both your new and your old doc must know it and must keep track of it. I think that if there is absolute need for you to take both of them then you need to take one, then stop and take another.

Now, if you are not really able to have your doc by the phone (that sounds pretty ignorant from your doc not to call you back 4 days after you’ve called him – maybe you should be more insistent and call them 4 times per day?), then I think that you can set up another appointment. Yeah, I do know that it sounds quite hassle, however I don’t think that there is any other better option for you if they are not keeping on returning your calls so many days. that’s very strange because you seem to be fine even without his help 4 days. but what would happen when a patient is literally going crazy and his doc doesn’t respond 4 days? very ignorant doctor. I one don’t like ignorant doctors at all.

I don’t know who can be ignorant at work, but definitely not doctors! So you set up the appointment and let him know about all of your concerns, including the one that he doesn’t call you back. Your doctor need to offer you a proper management while you are tapering off a drug because doing it that way it is not going to affect you so much in your everyday life and you being in school. Maybe your doctor thought that you are not going to have any withdrawals but since you do and since it affects your life (and your school) actions should be done.

I wish you good luck and I hope you’ll be fine. if the same ignorance comes out from your doctor further then it might be a good idea about thinking to change docs again. wish you all the best and a quick recovery!