phenibut or baclofen for alcohol addiction

morgan123

hey guys, I have found out something really interesting that I thought it would be nice if I would share it with you. there was a doctor (unfortunately he passed away) named Oliver Ameisen who was a French cardiologist and he has been an alcoholic. those medications that were available naltrexone as well as Campral, were not satisfactory. he has done some of research on the baclofen for alcoholism and he has been really interested and intrigued by the results he has got. after that he has consulted with one of his friend who has been a neurologist and he has told him that the baclofen has been a very safe drug. he said that even though the FDA maximum admissible dosage is considered to be 80 mg per day, his neurologist friend said that he has been treating patients with dosages of up to 300 mg per day and they were safe.

so well, this doctor Ameisen started to self medicate himself with baclofen and he has found out that a dosage of 160 to 220 mg per day has made him be "indifferent to alcohol" and he has also found that this medication is useful in relieving his anxiety disorder. in fact, he has said that he could even have a glass of wine from time to time without losing the control over the alcohol. if you're interested, you could search for this and see it yourself. he has published a self case study in a journal about his experiences he had and so you can see this yourself.

in fact, he has even wrote a book which is called "the end of my addiction" in which he is describing his experience he had in details about it. sadly but he has died of a heart attack, however he has not been drinking alcoholically during that time. he did has mentioned some of the cardiac problems that he has had in that book. if there are people who used or still uses baclofen then you might know that this is a prescription drug and so my doctor is only prescribing me some very tiny doses of it (about 20 mg per day), so I am also using phenibut for the exact same purpose. according to the literature, phenibut it is a GABA B agonist exactly as the baclofen, however the dosages are approximately 20 times higher (plus or minus) but a simple mathematical calculation can make us understand that a 200 mg per day dosage of baclofen it is approximately the same as it would be a 4 g per day of phenibut. having that said, this is what I am taking daily but divided into 3 separate dosages per day. having this said, I take approximately 220 mg of baclofen (4 g of phenibut and 20 mg of baclofen a day).

and yeah, I do realize very well that I am physically dependent on the phenibut and that's why in case I am going to stop using it abruptly then I do know that I am going to experience withdrawals. however, methadone maintenance patients are also being physically dependent on their methadone intake, but in the end, the most important thing (in my opinion) is that they are being indifferent to heroin, exactly the same as baclofen or/and phenibut is making you being indifferent to alcohol and to some other drugs and that's the amazing thing. and also, for those who are wondering: securing 4 g per day of the phenibut it is just not a big deal (it is coming into 100 g tubs for less than $25 so this shouldn't be a problem).

but here I can tell you from my personal experience that phenibut maintenance has reduced my drug craving extremely well, I can feel that it is much better now, plus it has also made my anxiety disorder better too! I can feel now that I am able to have a couple of beers and I am not going on a bender. and it is not that I just feel it, I did had a couple of beers from time to time and I was just fine.

and yeah, there are even some videos on youtube showing how good this drug works for addiction. you can search for at least one of them showing how baclofen quiets the dopamine mediated craving response to the cocaine related drug cues. if you want to find it then just simply write on youtube: Baclofen dramatically reduces cocaine craving . you will see what I am talking about.

djin89

that's realy interesting, thank you very much for sharing it with us. my kratom supplier has sent me some free phenibut because they made a bit of mistake so they tried to make me their "happy customer" but I have had absolutely no idea what it has been for. I simply got it and I was looking having no idea what's that. 

morgan123

well, so you could know, in short, this is an very powerful sedative hypnotic medication (is a GABA B agonist) and using it daily heavy for more than 3 days may cause an really very unpleasant withdrawal if stopped. there are some people who are recommending to be 3 days "on" and then at least 3 or 4 days "off" it if you want to avoid those very unpleasant withdrawals and tolerance. that's how powerful it is.

but this is just some great stuff for sleep. it is extremely good at relieving anxiety without cognitive impairment like the benzos does and as you can see in the first post, it is also great at reducing some drug and alcohol cravings (again, as you can see in the original post, similar to the baclofen in this regard).

the russian monograph for the drug is stating a dosage of 500 mg 3 times per day.

djin89

hey, thank you extremely much for sharing that information, it is really valuable as I do have this thing but I don't know what it does so such kind of information is really valuable for me. I am thinking that I may use it and see if it is going to help me at least a little bit to sleep better this night. that's because, unfortunately, I am not able to sleep more than 4 hours per night straight… that's so annoying and it induces so much nervousness… and that's even if I am using the ambien cr. hope this thing would do a better job. 

Garofalo

wow, that's really one very interesting thread which you should be receiving lots of thanks. I am quite sure that if there are people suffering from alcoholism and finds your post then they might benefit very much!

to be honest, I have never heard of this medication phenibut in the past so I have done a bit of research on it and I checked it out. I have seen that it is extremely cheap (reading your post I saw that it is a powerful and potent medication and that's why I thought that the price would be much bigger for this) but it has some ridiculously low prices, at least here in the UK. it also seem to have some very similar undertones to some really not famous at all RC which is called Flubromazolam (quite sure there are very few people here that heard of it) but anyway, this is also using GABA receptors a somewhat of a punch bag. I did have got some of them but I have refused to use them as they are ruining your day.

another thing that's IMO important to mention is that Phenibut really does seem to have reduced your drug cravings as well as anxiety, however, please, just give some big caution to the wind with this drug as it might be a very well double edged sword. at what price does it come at in the terms of your mental health and that's even before you are going down the route of the withdrawal? what I am trying to say is that this price might be way too big that you thought it would be and maybe it is not even worth it. is there a way to wean yourself of this absolutely brute of a drug steadily?!

TcierraT

"but this is just some great stuff for sleep. it is extremely good at relieving anxiety without cognitive impairment like the benzos does and as you can see in the first post, it is also great at reducing some drug and alcohol cravings (again, as you can see in the original post, similar to the baclofen in this regard). "

so well, I personally have found this medication "phenibut" to be very effective even being as a non prescription alternative to the benzos or also perhaps to alcohol. the thing is that you really do need a rather high dosage for this medication to be noticeable, however the thing is that as soon as you are getting to the right threshold for your body then you are going to start on feeling it well and as soon as this does start to happen then you feel it really well.

during the time when I have been very dependent on benzos (I got a bad addiction on benzos), there were some times when I would run out of it and I was not able to get any more of it quickly and in those times I have used some phenibut for that while in order to help me to sleep and also for the general "maintenance" because sleep wasn't by far the only problem I was having and without this phenibut I definitely wouldn't be able to get through it as easily. I can tell you that it did has worked reasonably well for me, however ultimately I did have found a couple of things that I really did not liked at all about this so I thought that besides sharing the good sides of this medication (or whatever else drug) also we need to show the bad sides of the drug either. the first thing I didn't liked is that the onset of the effects of this medication is several hours (when it is taken orally). this is the reason it really can never be used as a really good substitute or considered to be an alternative for anything that is fast acting. like for example, you mentioned that it is good at keeping anxiety effects at bay. that's true, but in case you need something that would be fast acting because you have an unpleasant anxiety effect now and you need to get rid of that effect now - phenibut is not for you. not talking about if you get an anxiety panic attack. phenibut won't touch it! regarding on the sleeping part - I do agree that it is a good medication, it is all fine due to the fact that you can time it to be effective around your bedtime and so the onset of the effects would be right on the time when you need it. the next thing that I would like to talk about here would be the long duration of the effects that it has - I have always had a "phenibut hangover" because of this in the morning after I was using it and i honestly didn't liked it as it clung on quite fiercely to be honest. but this taken in consideration that I am metabolizing most of the drugs very quickly (I am not sure what would be with a person who is metabolizing them slowly) but even so… this would affect me very well into the next day for quite a good time and so it has gotten really annoying, at least for me.

but anyway, we should not forget the fact that everybody may have a slightly different experience with this drug and I do know it well. plus taking in consideration the fact, as it has been said there, it is relatively cheap (or maybe even very cheap for some) and it is also easily available especially if compared to other drugs so, in some cases, it really can be as an alternative to other drugs. to be honest, the effects that I am getting from it is reminding me very much of the GHB. I just can say that this is one of those substance that I really could see eventually getting banned in the USA, not sure why but I wouldn't be surprised to see it. in fact, I can say that some of the things like for example kava, phenibut, kratom and a handy of others things, are in fact, quite powerful if taken at some right doses and this is why it can also have some really profound effects on the body/mind but in the time this could make them to be quite dangerous in a couple of wildly reckless situations and cases, it still does make them to be very and very useful for the rest of the people!

Olcou1960

I have to say that I did have used phenibut for a while too so I do know a bit of it. I have been using it in the time when I have been suffering from one incredibly bad insomnia (those were the days when I could go lots of days without having even a 1 hour sleep) in the time after I have went through the chemotherapy. and yeah, I did have had a lot of sh*t that went wrong of course, however I still can say that I am a relatively healthy person that is having a genetic disorder and that's it. now I am trying to get this managed.

whatever the case, I have been really desperate back then and I do remember it well ( those were some moments that I really wish I could erase my memory of, but unfortunately and of course I do know that I won't ever be able to) and I did not want to get reliant on the benzodiazepines.

but oh my god… the phenibut withdrawal has been the worst ever white knuckler that I have ever done in my entire life and these are the moments that were the worst in my life. in fact, to be honest I am really shocked to see that you have to go through all of that hell in order to get anything for your anxiety issues or for sleep problems, however I still think that you can simply purchase one giant tub of phenibut which would make it better. I can tell you that I personally do respect the hell out of that sh*t right now and honestly, you simply could not pay me enough in order to go back on that thing. I can tell you that indeed, it did help me with my sleep, just for a little bit, but then it mostly seemed to be just a game of trying to stay off from it for a couple of days so it would work again or to up the dosage further which we all know very well what would lead to. so well, eventually I have ended up stay on it and that has been a really really long half life and that wasn't a good thing at all for me. I do know very well that I should have tapered off that thing, but I just could feel that the stuff was simply not meshing very well at all with my body.

but anyway, in the end, everything that I wanted to do is to share with you a little bit of my experience that I have had with this medication since I was hoping that if I do so I am going to help somebody. so from a person who has an experience with this drug take this advice: take it slow and nice, take it easy, really easy, in case you decide to go to the phenibut route because yeah, initially it might seem to be a god sent but then you start seeing that it is not. and yeah, please, do not kid yourself with the fact that because amazon is selling it online then you are not playing with fire around the gasoline can. you really do, so you should be better won't do it. got it? LOL. I really hope you did. good luck.

morgan123

well, I think that one very important thing to note here is that I am not using it for sleep and that's rather very important IMO. I have been using around 4 g per day for more than one month now and so any sedation and/or hypnotic effect is going to be minimal because of the tolerance. the tolerance to the anti craving effect has not occurred and that's just good.

another thing is that in case I am ever going to want to stop the use of it, then I am going to taper by reducing the dosage 500 mg per day every 2 to 3 days until I am going to get down to about 2 or 2.5 g per day (depending on how I am going to feel and how much I would feel that I can do it) and then I am going to get it down by 250 mg per day every 3 to 4 days for when I am going to get down to approximately 1 to 2 g (once again, depending on how I am feeling and how I feel that I can do it) and from there on with about 150 mg per day every week (7 days or so) for the time that I am going to reach less than just 1 g per day or so and from there I would taper even more slowly with like about 100 mg or even 50 mg every 2 weeks or so. yeah, I do know and I do realize that this is a very slow taper and this would require a lot of time. but in this way I am going to be just fine! not sure, I might speed it up a bit based on tolerability. gonna see.