question about tamoxifen

Julieta

Hello everyone I have a question about tamoxifen. The thing is that my friend had the breast cancer and I have heard that it’s the early stage and how I understood this med can help them. The only thing is that I have heard that besides positive effects this drug have one very negative effect. I have heard from one research that tamoxifen can cause liver cancer. I don’t know if this is true but I would like to find out what is the connection between this 2. Why a med that is made in order to cure the breast cancer can provoke the liver cancer. I don’t understand the sense and if it’s true then why it is still used by people?

Calvillo

Hi. I didn’t heard abot tamoxifen to cause any type of cancer. I’m a doctor and I have worked with these types of meds for all my life. Yes, you’re right that it’s a med that had many advantages and can have some disadvantages but I can assure you that there doesn’t exist a connection between this drug and the liver cancer. Of course it can create some problems to the liver such as causing some liver toxins which can be severe and difficult to eliminate but it doesn’t mean that every patient that will use this drug will develop such a problem. I’m sure that your friend will find it very beneficial to his or her health. The only thing that I can recommend in case that you’re afraid about the negative effects of this drug, is to use it in the right dose. It’s very important to use it as your doctor prescribed it to him/her. In case he/she will be scared or he/she don’t want to trust to what I’m saying he/she can openly speak with his/her doctor about this, and I’m sure that the doctor will explain better. you just need to pay attention to some factors in order to avoid unpleasant symptoms that might occur.