seizure from tramadol

Donnelly

hi guys… I have to say that my very worst nightmare became true as I have had a grand mall seizure this morning and this has been horrible… I guess there is no need to mention that I am starting my taper off of these medication right starting from this day. I can tell you with all the honesty that I am now done with these medications and that I am not going to be taking tramadol ever again my life. I'm done with it once and forever. it is surely not worth taking it. I just can tell you that it has been the scariest thing ever and I wouldn't be doing this again. when I have been coming out of it I really have had no idea where I was or anything like this. and nothing could say that I would have one. I have visited my doctor a few days ago and I have had a mri, I have had a cat scan as well as blood work - all of them have been all fine. you can't foresee it and you can get it even when everything's fine just like it happened to me. everything that I have to do now it is to get off from these tramadols and that's what I am surely going to do! and now, since I have had it, for me it is not that hard. I know I will and I know I will never take them again! I tell you that having a seizure it is not worth some of the pills at all! in fact, I could tell you  that I would rather be in pains than to have a seizure ever again. no thank you… and that's what I recommend you all to do. if you're taking tramadol and haven't had a seizure then better get off it right now until it is not too late. and I recommend you to do it slowly because this god damn pill can give you a seizure even if you stop taking them too rapidly as well. so better get back your dosage slowly slowly until you get off of it at all. trust me I know what I am talking about. search for another pain pill. better be in a bit more pain than this. this is just my suggestion but you can do whatever you want, of course!

sofa66

oh my god… that really sounds to be very bad… thankfully I don't know what it does feels like but since you describe it THAT way then it must be really bad… I am so so sorry to hear about that. hope you won't ever feel that again. I wish you good luck into getting off from that drug as soon as possible and I hope you are going to find another drug that is going to work better for you in killing your pains and won't ever give you a seizure. wishing you all the best wishes!

Anniand

I am also very and very sorry to hear that either! seizure isn't anything good about… I really hope that you are going in a place where they are able to check your vitals because it is very important now and also there they can treat you for seizures and for withdrawals. they are going to help you and would do it the safest possible way. I honestly think that you must do it. I am not taking tramadol and I have never taken them (thanks god, and especially after your post I know that I am never going to) however what you have written up there really sounds to be very horrible… I did read what a seizure means (I also never had one, also thanks god) and it does sound horrible! I wish you good luck to get off of it too and just stay strong there! 

James Leftie

of my… Donnelly… I am so so sorry for that! I really hope very much that now you are all fine and I also hope that you have been at home when it all happened… better this way than somewhere else. like for example only the thought that this might have happened somewhere else like in the time they were driving or at least in some of a public place like in a mall or a grocery store… that thought is really scary… or at work… the boss could very easily fire you out and then you have double problem…

whatever the case… it must have been very and very scary… and I am very and very sorry that it happened at all… I guess you are not planning to go cold turkey off them? even if it's so - I have seen a lot of information online on how a person can do it. good luck and wish you all the best !

Olcou1960

hey there Donnely… I am also very sorry to hear that this happened to you.. having a seizure is indeed the worst nightmare that you can have and unfortunately it did happened.. as has been said up there, I hope that it has happened at home and I really hope that no big consequences and you're all fine now… just hoping that you are resting and you really should be taking care of yourself. planning to get off them is indeed a good idea as risking with another seizure definitely doesn't sound to be a good idea. you won't be going cold turkey off of them, I guess, isn't it? I assume that from what you have written up there. so I wish you all the best in tapering off from them and I do know that you are going to find a lot of support here from a lot of people to help you through all of this. good luck to whatever you do and hope you'll be safe! 

Suffes

Hi Donnelly… indeed that is some really really sad news… I am very sorry that it did happened to you and I also do hope very much that you are going to recover in full and that you would be all fine as soon as possible! as you have said, I also think that it is going to be a very and very good idea (the best idea) if you are going to start an immediate tapering plan right from this day and you are going to get on out of the tram life once and forever. the sooner you start with tapering off the sooner you are going to be off it completely. I am pretty sure that you have been thinking about getting off from it for quite a while and I am also sure that you've been struggling with it and maybe even tried it for a while… so I guess that this incident that unfortunately did occurred only is going to bring the turning point to a head and this just would make you to get off of it once and forever as you said.

it seemed to me that you do understand what it is like to get off of tramadol and what means to get cold turkey from it, however I still need to say it… I need to say.. please do a taper and not go cold turkey with tramadol. that's because doing a cold turkey on tramadol it is like taking a chance of seizure again! and taking in consideration the fact that you just have had one it is now going to make you predestinated to have the possibility of getting another one - surely you don't want this to happen.

I might not know you in person besides only a few common threads, however we're all here and we're one community so I really do care about you and that's why I really would not wish a seizure to happen on anybody else ever again. I understand how you might be feeling right now and that's why I should tell you that you should not try to punish yourself by trying to simply drop them at once. I hope that you are going to be safe and I hope that you would ease them out of your system! and trust me that in the end you are going to be easier able to let it go. but one sure thing is definitely sure… I really think that you need to… now it is the right time of doing it!

Anniand

oh well… Donnelly, I am sorry, it seems that I have not catch the part of "tapering" that you have written and this is the reason why I have mentioned the "hospitalized treatment" but in fact… even so, a hospitalized treatment would be safer … but anyway, it is at your own discreet. I really don't know very much about the tramadols as I have said, however I did have had to get off diluadid and some of the other strong OP's out there and hospitalized treatment helped me out. this has happened some years ago, however I am still on the suboxone… but only the thought of having a seizure it is indeed very and very scary… I just hope a lot that you are going to be all fine after it. so sorry it happened. I imagine if this happened to mee.. brrr. I am thinking of you and I am praying for you as well. good luck. 

Angwin

as all people here I am also very and very sorry to hear that you have had a seizure… however I am glad that you are getting off the tramadols… that was a step I guess for you to do it. unlike other people here, I also did have had a seizure once on them and I do know what you went through and what you are feeling… indeed it was a very and very scary experience that I wouldn't want to have it again. I do know what you are feeling like right now either… I remember that I have been completely exhausted for like about a week after that…. it has really done a number on me… the point being that in case you are more tired or you are going to notice that you are more tired than usual then know that this is normal for a while and that you should not be alarmed. give it some time and the exhaustion would go away, but getting off tramadol is indeed a necessity so I hope you'll be fine and I wish you good luck with this.

RoseDee

I have had a seizure on them but I did blacked out on them and I did it on the most inconvenient time for me. I remember that it has happened on the 3rd day when I have been prescribed them and I have taken a 50 mg tablet of tramadol and I remember that I have been feeling dizzy. after that I just remember that the next thing I saw was that I have been on the side of the road and my van totaled… I just thank god for the fact that my son has not been with me and that there was nobody involved but me. plus I got out save as well. pretty lucky there but not lucky that it happened while driving. no need to say that the first thing that I done was to throw away that bottle and never taken tramadol ever in my life. I have been prescribed it for vagal neuropathy and it turned out to be an epic fail. I am just happy for the fact that you are fine now, that's good. I wish you good luck and be careful, though, as DMV can pull your license for 6 months… watch out!

Bried

not very uncommon about the seizures (pretty much as you can see by reading the responses that you have got here) - I also have had 2 seizures as well so I do know what it feels like too. this has happened to me nearly immediately after my doc has prescribed them for me. but thanks to god I have never had a dependency on them and at least that's the good thing. as for now, I do agree with you and with everybody else who said that getting off them is indeed a very good idea so I wish you good luck with this and hope that soon tramadols would only be a thing of the past. good luck!

Meeson

goodness… I'm also very sorry to see that this happened to you… seizure it is what people are trying to avoid but it does happen to some and I am very sorry you were that one who got it… I hope that now you are all fine and that you get some rest that you deserve. I do not know very much about that specific medication, however I do know what's a seizure so since that medication made it to you then it is surely not worth to keep on taking it more, it is simply not worth you going through that! blessings to you and be well!

Ornelas

the tramadol withdrawal seizures are a damn scary thing - I wish it wouldn't ever happen to anybody and sorry it did happened to you! I do know this when I am on the withdrawals from some other opiates there and it is getting really bad then I am able to take a dose and it is going to even the things out until it is going to be the time for the next pill to be used. however, in case you are having a seizure can you use the same tact and to calm them down by using one dose? I just want to know this just in case… or you think that it is going to be simply just too late at that point and using another dose of the tramadol it is simply going to make it all even worse than how it already is? the thing is that I did have had seizures on some other anti depressants out there, however I never seemed to have them so bad that I had no control over them or something in this… or at least I had enough control to get to the bottle, to open it and to take a pill… so I really want to know if there is anybody who can answer my question? is there anybody who has any experience with this? what can you say? should I take another pill when it comes or it would be too late or would even make it worse? if that's a bad idea, what's in your opinion a good idea? especially appreciated ideas that were practiced and did worked. I am now having a friend who has started to use them not so long ago on a regular basis (taking tramadol) and seeing this post quite of alarmed me about his medicine intake. thanks in advance!

Anniand

oh well… I am feeling quite unsure of posting this but I still guess that I should… as all this talk about the seizures and not knowing very much at all about the trams,  as I have already mentioned I have been hospitalized for dilaudid and morphine, then I have been sent to rehab after I have been safely detoxed of… there isn't anyone who is also thinking that it might be a good idea (and definitely safer) to go into a medical facility and where there are specialized people to help you with this kind of issue, in a facility where those professionals can check your vitals and can be there in a bad event when you might have another seizure and might potentially save your life? all of this is just in exchange of some money but it was an easy decision for me because from as much as I understood - it is either my money or my health so definitely choose my well being. what I am trying to say is that I am by no means at all trying to tell anybody out there what they need to do. this is just an recommendation of what it would be the safest in my opinion so since I am scared for you Donnelly that this already happened to you then this might be a good idea to do it… I am not sure, maybe there is somebody who does know more about the withdrawals from the tramadols who could answer my concern for you, about being under the medical supervision? if there is such a person then I would ask him/her to do it, but I just shared what's my opinion regarding this. just know that I would hate to hear that there's anything else that has happened to you so I hope you would get over it the safest possible way! 

Duryeal

just wanted to say that I am also very sorry to hear this happened to you… you surely need to take care of yourself now and sure as hell you should get off tramadols or AT THE LEAST should get the dosage that you are now taking much lower. but yeah, perfectly would be to taper down until you completely stop using it. just know that I am going to keep good thoughts for your recovery and you'll be in my thoughts and in my prayers. if this does help you at least with anything. make sure to have enough rest. 

Suffes

so well… this entire thread is driving home the one sure fact that this medication tramadol it is an extremely and extremely complex drug! and this is the reason why it is working completely different from one person to another one - for one being a god sent while for another person being a hell drug. and it also acts completely different at completely different dosages as well. and a real life example of that is RoseDee. there are people taking 50 mg of it for the first time ever in their life and barely feeling it while Rose Dee has blacked out on because taking 50 mg of it. that's a situation right in the point. and Rose Dee also took it only for few days and this happened… but Donnelly has been taking this drug for a really long time at a much bigger dose before the seizure occurred. this proves once again how different people are and how differently we are acting on medications. I just can say that in my personal opinion… both of these people have made the right decision when these things has happened to them as both of them have opted to stop using this medication. that's the best idea and best decision that you can do when such a thing happens. this is truly showing intelligence and care for their futures and for the future of those other people that are around them as well.

I just think that anyone who is using tramadol for some chronic pain does need to have a back up plan (a plan B) in the place, like for example: another drug option in case something like this is going to happen because after this happens you would still have pains if you stop using the drug so you would still need something that would take care of the pain, but using tramadol further doesn't sound a good idea at all. hence a plan B would be very handy.

well, like for example… for myself I am having vicodins… and even though I really do not have a wish to go down to this road ever again, in such a case if I am going to have a seizure then this automatically becomes the better option… or I could even say it the best option out there… that's just in case you can go further without any use of pain killers at all or some lighter pain killers like ibuprofen or naproxen etc.

so, I am just trying to help others now by saying this… I want to say that for everyone who is taking tramadol on a regular basis… you should be better having a second plan ready for you to be used just in case something bad happens. I am trying to say that this is going to be a really good idea for absolutely each one of us and that's even for those many who are using it with responsibility and maybe aren't even using it on a regular basis… I suggest this to everyone due to the fact that this is an extremely unpredictable drug that one never knows what can happen and can expect anything to happen from using it… and this applies even for those who are having some years of using it because an seizure might occur out of nowhere, pretty much like it happened to Donnelly who said that few days ago been to the doctor who made different kind of tests and everything's fine and then, just out of nowhere, an seizure occurs. I really hope you people understand what I am trying to say and that you'll get help out of this.

I just think that the best thing would be to avoid the high level dosages (but as you can see - it is not enough, in Rose Dee's case she nearly killed herself even when taking a low dose) and also to mix with other drugs because doing so is going to create a completely unpredictable effect. however, even if following this you will still never be all 100 % sure on the fact that you are all completely safe when taking this medication! but at least, by doing so you are going to lessen the chances that you are going to be getting some dangerous reactions and to be honest, to me that sound quite good as well when thinking of it.

once again, people, please, just try to be careful on what you are doing when taking such a dangerous medication as tramadol. just know that this is a wake up call not only to Donnelly since he's the one who had a recent seizure but this is for everybody, for each one of us who are using this drug, regardless of the dosage or the period while being on it. I just hope that you're all going to stay safe and be careful everybody out there!

Donnelly

so well, I have started my taper down from today. yesterday I couldn't and I wasn't really in mood of thinking how I should do it and so on and so forth. also wasn't in mood of responding here which I am sorry for. gotta say that my taper seems to be doing good so far. I am just feeling very soar but I hope this would be the worst of what can be… but I still expect something more. anyway, trust me people… I would never go through that once again ever in my life… the seizures are surely scary as hell.

but again.. sorry for not responding yesterday and thank you all people for replying and for your concern. I do appreciate this very much! it means a lot to me knowing that here are people that can give me support if I need it. also thanks all for recommendations. also, it is true what is written in the previous post. be very careful on what you are doing when you are on tramadol otherwise you would have seizure like me and that's not funny at all. and yeah, by the way, tomorrow I am going to see a doctor too. hope to get some help. thanks again and good luck!

Coord2025

"also wasn't in mood of responding here which I am sorry for. sorry for not responding yesterday and thank you all people for replying and for your concern.  "

you shouldn't be worried about this and you shouldn't be sorry for not responding yesterday. that your right! no worries.

"gotta say that my taper seems to be doing good so far. I am just feeling very soar but I hope this would be the worst of what can be… but I still expect something more. anyway, trust me people… I would never go through that once again ever in my life… the seizures are surely scary as hell.  and yeah, by the way, tomorrow I am going to see a doctor too. hope to get some help. "

that really sound to be like a very good plan. just keep on diggin'. keep on going. I have stopped cold turkey on a quite high amount of percocets one time and then suboxone. suboxone has been much worse than the full opiate withdrawal. my doctor did advised against it and has told me that I should taper down slowly but I didn't listened… it is the fact that me personally I am more of a rip the bandaid off person and I can't wait. I am not like that… a good doctor is going to prescribe you anything that you need in order to help you with a safer taper and detox from the medication that you are currently on. unfortunately, I don't know anything at all about the tramadol withdrawal (or better said luckily?) however it is not my job to know it - it is doctor's job and they definitely know. so they also know how to help you too. my doctor had me purchase a blood pressure cuff… he has prescribed me a muscle relaxer for cramping, some blood pressure medications as well as a benzodiazepine for my anxiety and I also know that it is an anti seizure medication as well! I am not very sure if this applies to the tramadol seizure as well but it is surely worth to at least ask the doctor about it.

I need to confess on the fact that it has surely been some really rough few weeks, however when you are then completely done then you know that this is it - you are finally free of everything, you are finally free of everything! I personally did liked how much the withdrawal made me. it has been a bit more than 3 years now and I have never ever even craved an opiate since! that's amazing. and now I do know what are they and I am not going to touch them! I know because all I am thinking about it is how sick I have been during that time and so I never want to ever go through that experience ever again in my life. but for me, it has all started from an auto accident that I have had. but you've just got to know that there is a light on the other side and that it will be all ended. and also… the harder it is to reach that light then the brighter it is going to be when you are going to be there. like everything else… the hardest it is to reach something - the happier you are when you do reach it. since getting off them it is a hard call - the happiness would be really worth it when you would do it. that's why - keep on diggin', keep on fighin', keep on going forward!

Easer1934

Hey there Donnelly… just wanted to say that I really do feel for you and I hope you're doing better by now… I just can tell you that I have actually had a grand mal a little bit over 3 years ago as well… I know what does it feels like. but at least I do know why. my intake of this medication has been already too much… back then I was stupid and I didn't realized this.. I didn't even thought about it too much… however my dosage intake of this medication has been completely out of the control and it is obvious hat my body and my brain could not manage with such a dose. so it did happened. the dosage should be watched very carefully when taking this drug, but since then I am not using it at all… but having a seizure it is surely one very scary thing… I know it. I am very and very sorry for you, to hear that this has happened to you… just do not forget to keep us updated more, good luck to you man!

Donnelly

wow Easer1934. thanks for replying… you've got to know I have been slowly but steadily getting my intake of tramadol higher and higher over the last month. I was thinking that it is going to help me more but then I realized that doing so at my dosage that I already was has been making absolutely no sense for me… there was no point in taking more since the extra dosage won't help me more… the 2 or 3 more pills does absolutely nothing… really… I mean, in terms of helping me more… but generally it did… it has caused that… how my… never shouldn't have done that…

I hope that you're all going to be careful guys and girls when using this drug… do not get the dosages higher. as you - I did knew that seizure is possible, but since it has a low chance of occurrence I was thinking that it is never going to happen to me. it did happened - no one is safe from it. be very careful as if it does happen that you would regret extremely much, again, as I regret it now!

now I have taken half of the normal dose this morning and the next dose is going to be in a few hours! but once again, sincere thanks to each one of you who have replied here for all of your support and for your very kind words that I appreciate a lot! this is the reason why I love this community so much.

RoseDee

"and a real life example of that is RoseDee. there are people taking 50 mg of it for the first time ever in their life and barely feeling it while Rose Dee has blacked out on because taking 50 mg of it. that's a situation right in the point. and Rose Dee also took it only for few days and this happened… but Donnelly has been taking this drug for a really long time at a much bigger dose before the seizure occurred."

hey there Suffess, regarding this part I wanted to say… can you believe that it has been prescribed to me for my chronic cough? it is also being called laryngeal neuropathy… but oh my god, it has been really really scary… as the accident has been bad. when I woke up being there I couldn't understand what's happening. thanks god I have got a caring police officer who understood it all and the insurance paid for what I've done there and for my car as well. gotta say that most likely it has been either a too low blood pressure or the serotonin syndrome.. that is why I am not such an anti tramadol person. but I am really worrying about it because of the black box warning on it and firstly because of the personal experience I have with it.