snoring issues

Garrett

hello people, somebody please share a bit of your insight on the snoring problems. I am having a very big problem with snoring and it is such huge that it is to the point where my wife does not even want to sleep with me anymore and I am not trying to say that it is her fault as I do realize that this is a very big problem I have and this is why I am now here. of course I tried to do something about it by going to doctors and so I went and I have had a sleep test but apparently I am not having sleep apnea. I also should say that I did have had nasal polyps which I have had removed the last October and I can say that it really was a success in the fact that I am now able to breathe through my nose and that's just very good, however, as you can understand, the snoring hasn't end and I still do snore… I also should mention that I did have tried some several contraptions over the years and unfortunately, since I'm here, they have not really helped me but I am not willing to give up and that's why I am currently in the process of searching for a new one that might be more helpful. I would very very much appreciate if some of you has any recommendations/ suggestions for me on how I can stop snoring. maybe some suggestions out there about the best devices for this condition? and yeah, you know… the problem is that it seems that apparently, I am such a big snorer that I am able to snore through my nose alone and you might ask me how I know it? well, that's because I have gone as far as duct taping my mouth down before going to sleep. so I was still snoring (with my mouth, of course, closed) through my nose only!

that's so you can understand how big of a problem this is. absolutely any advices or suggestions would be deeply appreciated! I also need to say that I am going back to the doctor in a few months for follow (because as I said, I'm not giving up, but it is a few months until that moment…) and it is obvious that when I'm gonna be there I would ask for recommendations. so in the meantime I get there, I would really appreciate very much absolutely any suggestions as to what to do or what gadgets might be helpful for me or what helped you the most (or people you know that has/ had snoring issues too). this is all very important for me now!

Carol

hey there Garrett, I just want to ask you, are your sleeping on your side? I do know that since you sleep you don't know, but at least how you fall asleep? the reason why I tell you this is that if I am sleeping in my back then there are sometimes when I do snore either. however I have noticed that if I am sleeping in my side then I am all fine (in fact, my partner has noticed it :D ).

if you would find out that doing the same do help you too (I mean, if you sleep on your side then you don't snore) then of course I recommend you to sleep on your side. but of course you might roll on your back while sleeping. so I just tell you that just in case you do tend to roll onto your back even if you start on your side, then you've just got to tuck a small pillow a little bit under your back (in the time that you are on your side) and this is going to keep you from rolling back onto your back. if you don't snore on your side and you prevent to roll during the night on your back then I think that we pretty much solved the problem :D and I do think that you've already went through a lot of stuff and now you might think that this is too simple but you know… sometimes the most simple solutions are the best.

Wiferston

well, I do understand you… or in fact, I can say that I do understand your wife more. that's because my husband is also snoring so loud that I am simply not able to sleep with him and that's because he 1) snores extremely loud, 2) I am myself a very light sleeper. I've made a post about it, you could check if you want to. at least, I would say that you're an amazing husband for trying to search for solutions and even duct taping your mouth just so your partner to sleep with you, I find it to be so… romantic :D

anyway, just wanted to say that we did have tried the breathe right strips and they do not work, or at least they are not working for my husband, there might be others finding them useful, not sure. and also there's one more thing that I have noticed and it is that when he is laying on his side then he is not snoring as loud so indeed, the previous poster might be right on the fact that you need to somehow stop sleeping on back and start sleeping on side. maybe this is not going to completely solve the problem as it was said by her, but I'm quite sure that at least it would make you at least a bit lower in terms of 'sound'.

another thing (which I am now sure how many of you would like my idea but whatever) is that I have purchased a loud fan that I am keeping on all the night and so I am not going to hear his snoring as much. plus, the idea about trying to make you ""forcibly"" sleep on your side might be a good idea, I guess I should try it on my husband because when he does roll to his back I am gently trying to push him back to his left side and he is not even knowing that I am doing this because he is sleeping extremely tight and moving his like that or putting music won't wake him up, there must be something more than that (the problem that he doesn't hear the alarm clock we've already passed over - he is nearly always late at morning meetings because he's not hearing the alarm clock).

and yeah… so far the fan has helped me and in the same time I am staying cool as well (but I do know that this is not going to be a good idea for all as I'm living in a hot climate, but I do know that others might not…) whatever the case, I hope this is going to be helpful for some. good luck.

Garrett

I do understand what you were trying to say by this: 'hey there Garrett, I just want to ask you, are your sleeping on your side? I do know that since you sleep you don't know, but at least how you fall asleep?'

that's because if I am on my back then I have like a 100% chance that I am going to snore. In fact, I guess the last time when I was on my back and I have not snored it was when I was a teenager or something like that. it is obvious that I am trying to avoid my back the best way I can. and thanks for the recommendation, maybe I'm gonna try it and would reduce at least one problem. anyway, I am also prone to snoring on either side. there are also sometimes when my wife is waking me up and I am rolling over back. but the problem is that it seems that she is rolling me over again in like 5 minutes or so. but there are those, as I call them, 'miracle nights', they, of course, happen very and very rarely, but on those nights I am snoring either very rarely or I do not snore at all. I also can tell you guys that I did have tried all types and sorts of gadgets over the years, I've tried a lot of them and all different. it seems that a 'normal' person would get help a long time ago, but not me. on my next appointment that I am going to have with my nose doctor, I am going to get her opinion on what it is the best gadget that I need to get myself. if that one is not going to work either then I am just going to try gadget after gadget continuously and without stopping until I am going to find that something that is going to work for me… or until there isn't going to be any one left that I could try. you know.. besides the fact that I am not able to sleep with my wife because of this problem I have, I am also never feeling really rested after I sleep.. it feels like the sleep quality I get is so low that I just can't actually 'rest' and it absolutely doesn't matter of how long I am sleeping and to be honest, I really think that this must have something to do with the snoring part. in fact, I have read on internet stuff saying that snoring people are not able to rest during their sleep and I do think that this is true.

thank you people very much for your recommendations and simply for the fact that you showed concern, I really appreciate it a lot.

P.S. I did have tried to prevent myself of sleeping on my back because I found out that sleeping on my back is intensifying the 'melody' a really long time ago. in fact, I can tell you that one of the very first things that I have done was to sew a tennis ball into my shirt so this way I would not roll onto my back and sleep in my side. indeed, by doing that it did kept me off from sleeping on my back, however it still wasn't enough to cure the snoring. so you might be right Carol that sometimes the simplest solutions sometimes are the best, but surely not in my case, unfortunately.

i do understand you people, I understand you perfectly, especially you Garrett since you are the one who suffers here, that's because, unfortunately, I am a loud snorer as well… exactly as you, I also have had a sleep study done either and again, as you - I did not have sleep apnea… however, I did have got a cpap machine either way, I was still trying to 'cure' this problem. and you know… it did helped me a lot as it does stop me from snoring and I am much better with it. my wife told me that she purely loves it when I am using it because she is able to sleep much better, but I also understand the part of what you want to say about 'no rest sleep'. If I am not using the machine and I loudly snore all night long then indeed - as you, I am not feeling rested. however when I do use that machine I do feel rested and better. so both me and my wife are getting rested each time I use that cpap machine, it is obvious that we love it. however, the problem is that I think that you need a prescription if you want to get one yourself… however maybe you are going to find a doctor with whom you can talk and explain why you need that machine (even if you don't have sleep apnea) and maybe he's gonna understand and write the prescription to you. but yeah, it is obvious that for the machine you're going to need to pay out of pocket, but from my experience I can tell you that it is worth every single penny. their official sites cpap. com is having some good deals either - you've got to check them. and yeah, I recommend you to get yourself one with a humidifier on it, it is going to help you much more.

mazidontever

unfortunately I doubt that I can help you with anything at all because I am also searching for solutions of snoring and that's pretty much why I am now here… but snoring is indeed a big problem and I know it because there is my wife who claims that my snoring is keeping her up and she can't sleep/ fall asleep but you know… when she is sleeping then her snoring is keeping ME up. and the worst thing is that I do realize that I snore and that I don't allow her to sleep, so I try to help by doing something about it but she is never acknowledging that she snores and so she never tries to do anything about it…

ReXxX

I am snoring like a beast, I snore extremely loud and I do know this very well. I always have been snored like that. been though sleep study as well and the doctor said that I have a mild sleep apnea, not worth to get the machine. so because of this I have slept all by myself so so so many years because of this problem that I have with snoring that it would be feeling very weird for me otherwise, LOL. I guess that I am never going to sleep with somebody in my bed because of this.

platemale

hi Garrett. I did have seen that you mentioned you have no sleep apnea, but I wanted to ask you, because you were not diagnosed with sleep apnea then does this means that they are not going to prescribe you a CPAP?! I honestly think that you need to get yourself a cpap machine because I feel that it would greatly help you. I have been using a CPAP machine for the last few years now and I honestly love it a lot (as does my wife, because she can sleep, LOL). now, I can say that I do have sleep apnea, but even if you do not, I still honestly think that this machine is going to help you to prevent from snoring and therefore would allow both of you to sleep and get restful sleep. I see somebody else mentioning that it did helped. why wouldn't it help you too? and plus, as soon as you are going to get used to it then the very quiet noise of that machine as well as the feeling of the air that is being blown into your nose is going to feel really comforting, trust me. I do know this because I've been through all of it and the relief is really big and the machine is really worth it. plus, I do think that there are some surgical options as well when nothing else helps and you don't want the machine, however that is a surgery so it is obviously quite invasive with risks involved. so think of it yourself.

Bannerman

hey there. I had a relative, he is in my mid 40s, undergo a uvula disection. the uvula it is the 'hangy down' part in the middle of your throat. medically talking about it, I do know that this is not technically the correct coordinates, but I am only trying to give everybody a visual of approximately where it is located. I am not sure, of course, maybe you have already have looked into this with your ENT, but what I try to say is that if you haven't so far, then you should. you REALLY should because this my relative has not snored a second since this has happened and he got it all in the right place. I can tell you that the recovery part has been pretty painful as he said, however I just would imagine much like a tonsillectomy, which I would still stand form on that being one of the most painful things that I have ever went through.

one more thing, it is not going to do anything if you are having sleep apnea, however you said that you do not have sleep apnea, and most of what I have read is saying that it does help you a lot if you are having the 'unexplained' snoring. since you do not have sleep apnea and the test couldn't show what's wrong with you, then you pretty much have 'unexplained' snoring. so that must help you a lot! again, maybe you've already tried to rule it out, I am not sure, but if you have not explored this option so far then I do think that this might be worth a shot as it can end all your problems with snoring. good luck and I hope you're going to find an answer!

Garrett

Bannerman, no, you are right, I am not having sleep apnea, as I have been tested in a sleep lab, and they couldn't find anything wrong. so thank you very much for posting that. and no, I have not explored this option so far and I find it strange that doctors have not tried to help me by recommending this thing. as you, I also do think that it might be worth a shot so thanks for everything, I will look into this more and I will talk about this with my doctor to see what he's gonna tell me.

debra

Garrett hello. I've just wanted to say something more about the CPAP machine as there is my father in law who has this machine. he has went through the sleep tests either and the doctors there has diagnosed him with sleep apnea. of course he has got the machine as soon as found it out (not sure if you're going to be allowed to buy the machine without the diagnosis of sleep apnea and no prescription, but I still think that there should be other options to get the machine without having the diagnose of sleep apnea. whatever the case I only wanted to say that since then he is using it every night and he has said that he is waking up really really rested with it, he is snot snoring anymore and he's generally feeling fine. so yeah, it does help and I can recommend it as well. exactly as Benjamin100Franklin has said it in his post, he is not having the sleep apnea and he is still using one and as you can see, if he uses the CPAP machine it has improved his sleeping by feeling much more rested in the morning, exactly as my father in law. I doubt it won't be working for you. but I also wanted to say, that indeed, that was really thoughtful and kind of you to do that for your wife, that's just amazing!

I am now thinking that my husband needs to do the sleep test. that's because it is not only the fact that he is snoring (and yeah, he also snores very loudly), he is banging his leg up and down (not sure, maybe RLS?) until he goes to sleep. just in case I am not sleeping before he falls asleep then I just can't stand in that room so I am usually taking off for the guest room instead…. gonna try to help him out..

Garrett

thank you very much for your information, as I said it earlier, I appreciate very much each post here because you've taken your time to try to help me and showed concern which already means a lot for me. but I also think that maybe you misunderstood something - I mean, I am currently not using CPAP machine, however I am really willing to explore all of the options that I can in order to help me wife. and by the way… about your husband banging his leg up and down… I am also having nightmares where I am punching and I am kicking… so far there were no injuries done to her… but I am really afraid that one day there would… she is truly the best, I really have no idea how she is putting up with me, I guess that's why I love her so much and I'm willing to do anything to help her back.

Carol

hi again Garrett, I just can also tell you that my snoring has stopped when I have stopped to eat grains and sugar… I have lost a lot of inflammation and also dropped down 25 lbs. I always heard that your weight is directly connected to how loud you snore (or if you snore at all), and I'm sorry if this is wrong or if this offends you, but I do think that you must be a bit overweight? isn't it? if that's so then I guess you already know that losing that over weight - it is going to help you… for what that is worth..

also, I guess you do know very well that for a lot of people, snoring is aggravated very much by drinking and by smoking so if you do either one (or especially both) then it is the perfect time to stop. just in case you both smoke and drink and you are also a bit overweight  then stopping drinking and smoking plus getting down your weight, I am 100% sure it is going to help! but wow… punching and kicking in your sleep… to share a bed with you would really be a challenge, no wonder why you love your wife so much when she's ready to sleep with you like that. that means that she loves you too even more! :D LOL.

either way, I really hope that you are doing well and that you're going to find an solution to this issue.

EmmaHarded

the snoring part can be a problem and I do know it well because there's my husband who snores when he is falling asleep while he is watching TV, there are just way too many pillows under him and so he is nearly sitting up. however, then I am yanking a pillow or 2 out from under him when he sleep and then, he is going to turn on his side and usually he is not snoring that way anymore. not always… but usually.

however I just wanna tell you that this is not my only problem as we are also having 2 dogs (300+ lbs of dog that is sleeping with us, each with a bed on either side of ours bed) and the snoring is kind of like intensifying from each other and it gets extremely loud.. but what seems to be the worst for me is that there are 3 of them who are in an perfect "UN- Sync". they are just not able to get in sync… I mean, if all 3 of them are snoring (and I am talking about my husband and the 2 dogs) then one it is on the inhale part, another one it is on the second pause and then the third it is on the exhale.

anyway, luckily, I myself am a paranoid insomniac that it is checking out all the things that go bump in the night…

mazidontever

OP… you know.. my wife is usually taping me on the side during the night when I am snoring and I am rolling over and voila… I am not snoring anymore. and the problem is pretty much solved. but there are also sometimes when I am getting pissed she is tapping my side… you see… before we have got married there have been some other things that have been tapped, prodded or maybe even lightly touched… unfortunately that has been changed with the marital status.

I hope a lot that you're going to find whatever is going to help you!