somebody tried kava kava?

DuckYou

Hello there everybody, I have been doing my research about this thing and mostly on the Erowid (yeah, I know…) and it does seem like this kava is an herbal supplement that it is working very well as an anxiolytic relaxant thing. I have also tried to read what other people are saying about this and they said that it is very well working for them especially to get some sleep. So well, I have now purchased the kava stress relief tea by the yogi and to be honest I am not quite sure whether it is working or not for me. I am not sure, maybe this is happening because I am combining it with the sleepytime extra tea – it is a kind of tea with valerian in it, during the night but I also am thinking that it is not as helpful as I would want it to be because it is not having enough kava in the tea. Apparently, now that I have tried it, I can say that kava is having a very bitter taste, but the tea itself is really delicious as I do like it. is here anybody else who has some more experience with the kava? Maybe I have purchased the wrong tea? Or maybe there’s something else I should know. I am pretty sure that there might be something that I would need to know, some help would be greatly appreciated. Of course I can’t be sure, but if the erowid experience vault it is to be believed then it truly seems like a miracle remedy, though it doesn’t seem to be such a miracle for me…

McBrien

Oh yeah, I did have used it once so I can tell you that I personally have found it to be a pretty interesting plant with some really god effects of calming effect, kind of euphoric, therapeutic, anti anxiety effect and even quite sedating. I remember that when I have used it, the effects have lasted for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours only from drinking a few cups of it. and yeah, exactly as you said, it has been tasting pretty good (I’ve been expecting that such a plant would have a horrible taste). I can say that it is even a very good alternative to the alcohol and in fact even better because much more calm and more peaceful and no that sh*tty drama with alcohol or anything in this matter. and it is much more healthier. I remember that I have tried it years ago 2010 or 2011 I guess and I have mixed raw root powder with milk and to be honest I really liked the taste that it had so i think that you could be trying it out. pretty funky though, I would say. But it is tasty none the less. I am not very sure (because I can’t remember) if I have brewed it or anything.. I am thinking that maybe I did it… or maybe I was only thinking about doing it and now it seems that I’ve done… anyway.
The thing is that it made me feel kind of sick… hangover effects or something like that. it was feeling like I had drank a lot of alcohol the night before… or at least that’s what I have been feeling. But anyway, the point is that after I’ve had such an effect I’ve taken it as a bad sign for me and my body and that’s why I have never taken it again.
But anyway, from the research and readings that I have done on it, I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty safe or at least if you are going to stick with the traditional and non abuse type of usage of it. I just think that you’ve got to avoid alcohol… you really should because from as much as I know traditional usage does not include alcohol in somebody’s life, as I know. and as much as I have found out about it – both of them (booze and kava) seem to tax the liver or maybe the kava might help taxing it when it is used in combination with the booze, not sure. But what you should be sure about is that you are using the right part of the plant because if you won’t then it is useless and not only useless.. that’s because the “aerial” parts are not very good for you… not at all, however the roots of the plant are pretty safe so you can go with it. so well, I am pretty sure that this is the summery that you’ve got to know about this plant. You’ve just got to be sure that you are going to do all the research very well yourself because I might not know everything, might be wrong or might forget because as I said, it has been about 6 years or so ago when I tried it so I might forget something.

But I have to say that from as much as I am surfing these forums, there are a lot of information about this on forums and anywhere else when people are talking about herbal remedies. And yeah, I am thinking that Wikipedia is having a really good article either. you might want to read it.

And now lately, from as much as I can think of… the Saffron (sublingual) and the kratom are much more superior to the kava, though I can’t be sure if this is true or not. but I am going to try again some kava in the near future and I would check it myself, maybe I’m wrong. Whatever the case, hope this would be helpful.

Toliman

Hey there, from as much as I know, the kava kava it is supposed to be the herbal valium but I am not sure. So well, I did have tried it a couple of years ago myself and I do know a bit about it, however I have not tried it in the powder form, they have been in the capsule form and they were having a brown color.  I remember that I took one, then another one and then 2 more which means that I took 4 capsules of kava and unfortunately they have done absolutely nothing for me. I really wish that it did but I couldn’t feel anything at all. if they would have worked for me that would be amazing but… anyway, exactly as all the medications out there… every person is different and this is why, as medications, kava kava might work for some out there, but it might not for others… I congratulate those people that kava does work for but unfortunately I am not one of them.

vedalTY

OP, you’ve got to know that kava teas are only a ripoff so please don’t get caught anymore. you’re only wasting your money on them. that’s because the heat is destroying the kavalactones and so when you’re making a tea out of it then you’re simply…. Drinking a tea. You only need the kava extract, it is either in the form of powder and so you could be making your own capsules or if you want then you should buy capsules already made, but don’t go after the kava tea. You’ve got to do a little bit of research on the dosages for anxiety when taking the capsules and then take them. from the research that I have done I have seen that they are usually much less than simply for a nice relaxing experience. the konakavafarm is having some really good kava, however it is expensive, however they are having a lot of very good research that you can do (information) regarding the root herb there to read. Also, you could also get some good kava extracts online. you should know that the brown it is full spectrum of kavalactones, and gram for gram it is not as powerful as the yellow, limited spectrum powders are. But anyway, there are some people who are preferring one, while the other people are preferring the other one. I really hope that this is going to be helpful for you. besides, you need to know that there are also some kava pastes that are being even higher in the kavalactone content (concentrate extract). And also, do not bet on liking the taste of the non extract powder liquid preparations. It is having some very and very strong peppery flavor. Personally for me, it has been way too awful to be able to drink it until the end. I tried the first sip and I was like: oh my god… I did have tried to drink it all, but I’ve got to about half and I simply couldn’t, the taste is simply awful, and that’s the extract preference.

Besides, one very important information that I nearly forgot to mention it is the fact that absolutely any kava preparation that you would choose to take, really needs to be used approximately on an 2 hour empty stomach ( not less). you should be taking it approximately 2 hours after using it before eating as well, if you want it to be fully effective. Drinking a tea out of it and especially right after eating then you’re surely not going to feel anything.

SheenaBBB

So well, I did have tried the kava kava as well as the valerian root and both of them in the capsule form and I’ve got them both from a reputable health food store (I’m just trying to say that it is sure that they are selling good things). well, I have tried them a lot of years ago from as much as I can remember and I also remember that any of them has done absolutely nothing for me so I gave up. also, I can tell you that I kept them safely in the fridge as it has been recommended but I still can tell you that I do remember very well that they stink to all high heaven! Extremely bad… yuck… I remember this well. not sure what are they, but they haven’t done anything but stinking… anyway, this is only my experience so…

McBrien

Oh yeah, I do know what you are talking about, the valerian thing, it sure thing stinks… is there anybody who remembers about cheesy feet from it? or it is only me? anyway, clipper, make a nice tea out of that. that is only containing 5% of valerian. And yeah, it is really sending me back to sleep very quickly after using it. I know that it is being called sleep easy or something in this matter. and it is having an orange zest as well as cinnamon in it and somehow it is being really tasty, or at least it is only me who really likes how it takes it.

Plus to it all, I can tell you that I gave a try to the capsules as well as a tincture of valerian and they stank either, plus to that – they have done very little for me, I mean, almost no effect at all. however, the thing is that I do know that this tea is really working very well, it is in tea bags (like some regular tea) and frankly I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised how well it worked and that it tastes that way. (I was thinking that only nasty things are healthy, lol).

But yeah, the previous member who recommended all those things are right, I would listen to him. but what’s even more important is that you’ve got to listen to your body. if something works then it doesn’t matter what others are saying – it does work and you’re achieving the results you need. But if it does not work then it doesn’t matter if other people are saying that it should work – it doesn’t and it means that it doesn’t for you. plus, you’ve got to keep in mind that you shouldn’t mix it with alcohol because of the potential effects on the liver which can be pretty bad. I wish you good luck.

cherrypie

So well, I personally have found that the kava kava it is the only thing that has actually worked for me, however if I am purchasing the root powder and I am either making a tea out of it using a cold water only, or I am simply combining it with milk or water and I am trying to drink it with the muddy mess in the cup. Indeed, it does tastes extremely bitter and it is numbing your entire mouth, or at least this effect I am getting. The only kava root that I have purchased it is kona kava, not sure what other people would think about it but whatever. and yeah, by the way, I guess I have to mention that I have also bought the kona kava capsules either and I’ve got to say that these ones have not worked even though it was really the same kava, the only difference has been the preparation type. That is why, if yu do try the capsules and they have not worked for you then I would suggest you to make the tea out of it, from the root powder. However, it I true, you shouldn’t make a HOT tea because it does seem that the heat is killing those “helpful cells” the kava has. So just put it in water (my only guess is that when used in capsules then they are not having enough water, so when you drink it in water (either in milk) then they are absorbed better by the body and hence it works). It really does work, I have seen it from my personal experience, however the downside it is that there would be some people who are not going to be able to handle that horrible taste.

Shuffeler

so hi there, I one have been on this natural herbs kick either. this has been the last week and a half and I have used it for a number of several reasons, however the most important and the main reason it is that I am really trying very and very hard find some non pharmacy alternatives. Maybe not permanently, that’s ok, however at least for a short while or so.

And also, I have to say that I have tried a lot of herbal sedatives and to be honest I think (at least what my body told me) that the kava kava it is the most potent out of them all, however everything downsides and it is that it really seems that it requires so damn much, plus, I am honestly worried about the liver cautions and the kava rash that has been documented as well. so far, I am lucky that I have not experienced neither one of them, however I am thinking that I guess this is so because I have only been taking them for a short while.

For those who are interested, those other “alternatives” that I have tried out and that I consider kava kava to be superior to them are: GABA, California Poppy, Passion flower, 5HTP as well as the valerian. Since we’re talking here about the kava kava then I guess that there is no need for me to get into the details for each one of them individually, however if anyone of you really wants to know more about any one of them then you can always feel free to PM me and I will try my best to answer all your questions (if you have) from my personal experience with them and what I think about them.

Plus, I guess that I have to add that, as I am feeling all the other chemicals are leaving my body, the herbals really seem to be a lot or effective, however, as I said, everything has downsides so in this case, it is that it has been more than a week for this thing to start working.

vedalTY

Hey there, the liver damage thing it is still an FDA warning from one instance when some company has used non root kava powder. That is being liver toxic. Only the root it is not toxic, however you’ve got to look how much the islanders are consume compared to us. You should not drink alcohol with kava though, I am very sure that you do know this, this is something that everybody should know before trying kava.

I personally have used extract for years in order to help to control my GAD symptoms. And yeah, unfortunately it does take a large amount in case you are using only plain powder and not the extract powder or paste 30% or even higher. And I can tell you that even then your body really must be clean of all of the other substances tranqs if you really want to only feel the kava itself. Otherwise, in case you are careful then you can supplement in order to take some less chemicals, however you’ve got to be aware that they do react exponentially (supposedly) with some other tranqs, that is why you really need to be at least a bit careful, or maybe not exactly as much as the interaction pages would have you believe unless you are being a novice with the benzos and so on.

Regarding the kava rash, I personally have never had it either. I am using it every day but only in the maintenance doses for anxiety, I am not a recreational daily user of it. if I would then it really can become an pretty big problem. I can’t say for sure or from experience because as I said, I am not an daily recreational user, but that’s what I have heard about it… absolutely no experience getting it.

So well, I can assume that since you are being here then you have already read through the other people’s advices (and I hope my too). anyway, in case there is absolutely anything else that I or other people can help then just let us know about it here.

Also, maybe you could say what kind or kava product you are being using and also it would be helpful if you would say how many grams (or mg) you are using a day. generally, anything about this might be helpful for us to tell you some more. best of luck.

Shuffeler

Hello there again and thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate that you’re trying to help us. So well, here it goes what I have tried and I will be waiting for your opinion. the kava it is made by herb pharm, it is anywhere from 600 mg to 1400 mg/ dose, it is depending on the anxiety level. Like I have previously mentioned this (but I guess somewhere else), this is such a rare case when more is better (because often, more doesn’t mean better). so well, here’s the dosages that I have been using: Passion flower starting from 700 mg to 1400 mg per dose, the California poppy starting from 800 mg to 2400 mg per dose and the GABA relaxer between 2 to 5 tablets per dose. I have to mention here that it has been now more than a week since I have had any benzos at all, only except for yesterday when I have taken one 1 mg xanax due to the fact that it has been too much, and this morning when I have been at the hospital, I have been unfortunately to have a broken wrist and they have casted it this morning….

Besides, I guess it is important also to mention that I can’t say that I would really want to use any of the above in a recreational way, that I can suppose that it is making them some good alternatives to something that it is more tastier, however, frankly, I would wish that they would have slightly more of a punch to them.

Either way, I would really like to ask you, what dose are you taking for the “maintenance”? I am thinking that you might help me with this a little bit. besides, I would really like to know what do you think that it is the best source for kava? Would you be that nice to share it with me? please. we could talk about the source privately because I know that it is forbidden to talk about it publicly. Thank you in advance for everything.

vedalTY

"So well, I am going to start off with my guesses that you are not a medical professional and that I am not going to repeat some things that you already know, and I have to mention that these are my assumptions because otherwise you wouldn’t be asking such questions. I am sorry if I’ve got it wrong. Whatever the case, you and everybody else reading my post should take in consideration that this is all hypothetical and what I am trying to say is that I really do not intend to give absolutely no medical recommendation, I am not a medical professional either so everything that I would say it is only for interpreting for you.

so, the next thing I am going to say it is very important… I really think that in case you have been taking benzos on a regular basis then you really should not try to go off them cold turkey trying to substitute them with herbs. This would end in a big disappointment, you really need to do a slow taper of the benzos if you want to be fine. there are people who have been known to supplement this with herbs in the time that they were assuming the risks willingly, but yeah, in the end it is all only up to you alone.

Also have to mention here that I do not know absolutely anything else about any of those other herbs except for kava, this is why I am not going to be able to comment nothing else but about kava products, dosages and so on.

You’ve asked for a source, I really hope that the moderators are not going to take this as “against the forum rules” but as simple as it sounds, I am usually purchasing my kava from ebay, however I get it as powdered extract and I am making my own capsules off it. so well, if you are having a scale then you can very easily do the math and so you can understand of how much kavalactones you are getting per one dose, like for example 1 gram of 40% extract is going to have approximately 400 mg of kavalactones. Yeah, indeed you are going to have a little bit of work with making up your own capsules, however the good thing is that it is always going to be a lot cheaper than the pre made and bought capsules and another good thing is that you’re always going to know what’s exactly in them. pre made capsules are obviously more expensive but you don’t really know what’s in there. maybe there isn’t a full capsule of kava, but 50% kava (for getting a bit of effect) and 50% of whatever else. you never know. anyway, talking about getting them from the ebay, I have to confess that it has been a while now since I have had my last order of them (some years) that is why I can’t really tell you if they are still allowing kava sales on ebay or not. if there’s no more kava on ebay then I am sorry, I can’t recommend you any other source of getting it.

Now, I have had a quick look at the Herb Pharma Kava and so I can assume that you are currently using those capsules that are of the 200 mg per capsule dose, with each containing approximately 60 mg of kavalactones. That’s a 30% extract. So well, if assuming that this is correct then you are using about 3 to 7 capsules per dose (which means approximately 180 to 420 mg of kavalactones per dose). Is that correct or you are just telling me the kavalactones (which is 60 mg per one single capsule)? In such a case you are going to be taking much much more, however I am pretty sure that you are only quoting me the total amount of the extract in each of the capsule. Even assuming that all of what I have said up until this moment is true, I still don’t know how many times a day you are using a dose as you haven’t mentioned this. I have to mention that I personally I am using approximately 180 to 200 mg full spectrum kavalactones 3 times a day. this is 600 mg capsules 3 times a day at the 35% extract. However, this is the addition to the benzos which I really need to taper down from them. anyway, remember that it does not matter how much you are taking, for getting a full effect of your kava you need to take them with a lot (the more the better) of water on an empty stomach. You should not eat anything at all at least 2 hours before you are going to take them and also about 2 hours after taking them (that’s, again, if you want a full effect). But I have to say here that I have read somewhere that it can be taken with a small portion of food in order to help break it all down. it can be true, I am not sure. I am thinking that you may want to try it the first time without eating anything for 2 hours prior to take it and in case it is not going to be effective or something in this matter then you could try to use it with a small snack at time of dosage, but still try not to eat anything about 2 hours after taking it. About the water part, this is a little bit of diuretic, this is why, the more water you are going to drink during the day the better it is going to work and it is also going to prevent from any dehydration so try drinking plenty of water.Now, about the Kona Kava Farm, it really has a lot of really good articles as well as good kava and kava products. True % extracts, I really don’t know the rep of Herb Pharms. I have seen that there is one article that is showing how much a person needs to use for the maintenance of anxiety and it is also lower than islanders use for a relaxing experience. they are consuming buttloads of it every single day for years with absolutely no bad or ill effects other than maybe only a bit of lack of motivation. But even so, there are some reports of the rash or whatever else that I really think that it is a problem and it is a real problem, this is why I personally would recommend to only take the lowest effective dosage as well as it would be a good idea to take a break from time to time off it.

Unfortunately there seem to be a problem as I am currently trying to find out the article on the Kona Kava Farm that it is recommending on the anxiety maintenance dosages, however I am not able to find it now. so well, I have to say that I’ve sent an email to the Makaira from the Kona Kava Farm and in case I am going to find out what’s the daily kavalactone amount then I am going to write you back with an response. Anyway, it does not seem like this is currently applicable to you though if you only want to stay away from benoz as much as it is possible for now.

Look, if you could use enough of kava extract at one time as well as a some kind of booster every few hours (another capsule or maybe 2) then I honestly think that there is absolutely no point for you to have a relaxing experience from it. but this only applies in case you are currently not in the benzo withdrawals. I do know that I can take about 4 to 6 capsules by using the method that I just have described above and I am still able to feel it in the time at my normal maintenance dosage I cannot. And also assumes the Herb Pharms kava is really that good ant it is really containing that amount of the kavalactones per capsules that it tells that it does. I would recommend you to go ahead to the konakavafarms dot com now and to read all of those article that you can find under Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and then kava article that you can find under that. after you read enough and make your conclusions then you could think appropriately and in case you would want so you could go and shop there or maybe on the ebay (if there are some). As you wish. Also, depending on what you want you could get the powder extract or pastes and a capsule maker (or make it all yourself, but that’s annoying…). I know from my personal experience that the paste can be only rolled into a ball and it can then be swallowed entirely. It is oily, however if you’re going to do that it is going to minimize the taste.

So well, this is pretty much everything what I have got for you, I really hope that this is going to be helpful somehow. In case you are having some other specific questions then I am going to be glad to respond them to you (if I would be able). And as I said, I am sorry that I cannot help you with those other herbs or with GABA.

vedalTY

Oh, as I said that I am going to search for that article, that’s what I did and it seems that I have finally found it. for the anxiety for most of the people a dosage of approximately 70 to 210 mg of kavalactones really should be workable. I guess this is where I have got that idea of using 200 mg 3 times a day (it is 3 600 mg 35% extract capsules a day which is about 8 hours apart from each other) for the maintenance. So I think that this should be pretty much enough for you either.

Shuffeler

oh well wow, I haven’t expected that! thank you a lot for not only taking your time and reading my post but also a really big thanks for all of that extra legwork of searching and learning the maintenance and recreational dosages and posting them here for me. I really appreciate this a lot!

I also have to say that I am working in the healthcare field so it is obviously that I am aware of the dangers of the benzos withdrawals and I have to highline that they are really dangerous but the thing is that I have not been using them (if talking about the benzo) for such a long time or taking such a high dosage of it. It is only the thing that I have found myself in a predicament of having some really high anxiety levels right now as well as the wish to not use any pharmaceutical things at all right now. so, with all of that being said… I am currently not in any severe withdrawals from anything at all but I am still sure that my body might use some detoxing from the pharms that I have been taking.

Also, you are definitely right about the fact that I have been quoting you only the kava mg and not the kavalactones themselves. They are 200 mg with the 60 mg of kavalactones indeed. I am using between 3 to 6 capsules, 3 times a day and doing the math we are getting that I get anywhere between 540 mg to 1080 mg of kavalactones every single day. from experience I can tell you that I have found this dosage to be acceptable, however it surely was not recreational for me, if you understand what I am trying to say.

It is unfortunate that you are not aware about anything else that I have listed but kava kava. I really suggest you to take at least a glance to each of the because I really have found some good success by making up some different mixtures of those herbs that I have listed above. I am pretty sure that you are going to like some of the effects, as I did. I was pleasantly surprised when I have seen that the Passion flower has been effective in the way it was and how effective at all. The liquid extract has really been potent, however it has been a too small bottle for a too big price, IMO. Regarding the GABA it seems to me that it works very good synergistically, however there are not really noticeable effects on its own alone. As I said, I guess that it would be worth if you’re going to make a quick research on them and maybe trying them once and see how they work for you. pretty sure that you’re going to find at least one that you would like. But anyway, it is only up to you.

Either way, thank you once again very much for all of your time that you have spent in order to answer my questions and to check everything out. I think that you’re a really nice person trying to help and I appreciate a lot your effort. Thanks for everything :)

vedalTY

ughh, I am sorry that I couldn’t figure out that you’re working in medical field, I was thinking that you are only a user of medications who has a vast knowledge of them :D

I think that it is excellent, in case you want to improve even more on your proprietary blend there, the Kona Kava is having a product that they are making now since it is way too hard to keep the 84% kava liquigels in their stock that maybe you can copy, but at least ingredients wise as we are not aware of the exact proportions. Supposedly, this is a very good product, it is selling very and very well but that’s even though I one can’t vouch for it. I have to say that those capsules are having the following synergistic herbals in them: a proprietary spray – dried blend of liquid extracts of the pure Mahakea kava root (which is having 30% of kavalactones), Mucuna pruriens, damiana, calamus, horny goat weed, hops, tribulus, sceletium, valerian and blue lotus.

Gotta mention that I am very glad that you have finally found yourself a combination that does work for you so well! I am going to check and learn more about them either. but yeah, in case you are nto going to make your own kava capsules then it is really getting very expensive. All my best to you!