Stay away from Monster Energy drink

hey everyone, I wanted to tell you something that is very interesting (to me) and what's more important is that it might be very helpful for a lot of people out there. so, today I have had approximately a total of 960 mg of caffeine (I have calculated it) in the form of energy drinks as I have had 6 cans of 500 ml of Monster Energy. I do know what you are thinking right now so yes, I do know that I have had too much due to the fact that I have had a really uncomfortable caffeine rush after 4 (I could feel it) and so, I have made a decision that it might be a good idea to have a small amount of alcohol in order to cut down the jittery and anxious feeling that I have started to get from that caffeine rush, and I can tell you that it did worked out. then later I have had 2 more of those energy drinks (as I said, in the end I drank a total of 6 cans) and strangely but I did felt fine (as the alcohol was not even touching me at all). BUT, I do feel extremely and extremely bad right now! again, I do know that I have had too many of them, but I am quite sure that I shouldn't be feeling like this as it has been approximately 4 hours now and I am feeling all physically drained (completely drained) and plus to that, I am thinking that all of the sugar chemicals that are in there have made my skin being dry (or I am not sure what caused it be like that, but it is really dry) and plus to that, I am also having rashes on my arms and on my neck. again, although I did have had quite a lot of those I'm still pretty sure that I shouldn't be like this.

now, if talking about the caffeine crash that I have, I am sure that it is the same as it would have been from 960 mg of caffeine of any other form of drink (I mean, it doesn't matter, it is the same as caffeine from the Coffee or from Tea, or Coffee chocolates, tablets or whatever else) which makes me feel really really down now.

as a conclusion to all of this I can tell you people: I'm quite sure that I am never going to drink this thing ever again as I am not ever going to drink any other energy drink. after this unplanned experiment that I have had I can tell you that coffee it is surely much more healthier and I would recommend you to drink coffee instead of any kind of energy drinks, or at least, as I said, that's what I am going to do. after all of this I have to admit that it is most likely true the fact that the 'dosage is making the poison' and whoever said that is definitely true due to the fact that I do realize that 3 liters of anything I'm quite sure that it is not good if taken all at once, but especially some foreign chemicals that are so hard to metabolize by our bodies. so, assuming that I can rate Monster Energy on a scale of maximum 5 stars then I would give it just one or none if possible. I would definitely not recommend it so if you want to be safe - stay away from it!

hey there, thank you very much for sharing this. that's a really good experience report and that's even if the experience really sucked like that. at least many people have the opportunity to read and know that they should stay away from it or at least knowing that drinking that much can be a really bad idea.

there is one thing about caffeine that is very important to know which is that caffeine is a backlash, the side effect being known as caffeine fatigue. caffeine it is only a mild stimulant and this 'fatigue side effect' is comparable to the ceiling effect of other drugs like for example codeine. then later, after the prolonged 'caffeinism', your body is going into a state of adrenal exhaustion. this means that the caffeine consumptions that you have had (regardless - coffee, energy drinks, or whichever else) has simply pushed your adrenal glands so so much that they have burned out! I have learned this (read it) from a book written by a very good man named Ralph Golan (you could google him if you want) who is a MD. in that book (that is named Herbal Defense, you could also google it if you want) he described this unfortunate state. I can't really quote him and what he said there word in word, but I remember just the essential so he said: the caffeine is kind of FORCING your glands to secrete when they do not have very much left to give anymore and so, that's why they only need to keep on digging more and more and this is the reason why this all makes you be more and more tired over some time.

and so, now, in the time that those energy drinks you have drank have also overload you with some processed sugar as well as with all sorts and types of chemicals too, the caffeine itself alone, taken in a long 'run' also can very well be the source of an extreme discomfort too so you should take this in consideration as well, IMO. and by saying this I only try to say that while caffeine indeed might be safer than energy drinks, it doesn't make it all safe or discomfortless if taken in too high doses.

another stuff that I can recommend you if you really need to stay awake and alert it is Provigil (modafinil) which can help you to concentrate too. Provigil can be obtained only by prescription so not everybody can get it, but if your doctor gives it to you then you surely needed it. anyway, it is not an stimulant by strict definition and in the time that it is having a mild side effects profile, it is not creating its own 'fatigue' profile and that's amazing. not trying to say that this is an 'all you need' stuff but I just think that it is worth to give it a try when you have a real problem and you have a real need in staying awake and alert. this stuff lasts approximately 8 to 10 hours (if taken in dose of 200 mg) and normally it must be dosed only in the morning otherwise you risk it to keep you awake in the night when you are going to need to sleep. Also, Provigil (modafinil) is known to give you headaches but it is also known that hydrating often is going to help you avoid the headaches so this might be helpful. so good luck to ya'.

SkirST

umm… I'm sorry if this might offend you BUT wait a minute… you have taken nearly one full gram of caffeine (and a total of 6 liters of energy drink) and still, somehow the negative side effects were only the fault of the company that has made the drink? I mean… are you serious? haven't 'Monster Energy' company warn their customers what might happen if too much of their product is consumed? have you, at least, read the can? you can find nearly everywhere written that they are warning you not to drink more than only one or maximum 2 of them per day, otherwise such kind of stuff what happened to you might happen and well - as we can see, it did. plus to that… what do you mean by saying 'foreign chemicals that are so hard to be metabolized by our body' ? I mean, everything that you ingest it is 'foreign chemicals' as you said. please just cite those sources covering which exactly ingredients in that actual beverage are so 'hard to digest'. I mean, you've blamed it all on the Monster Energy while you've had a gram of caffeine and I don't quite see it logical. have you every consumed a gram of caffeine via coffee in the past so you could compare it to a gram of caffeine via Monster Energy?

plus to that, I find it extremely strange that you drank 2 more cans in the end… I mean, why you've done that? you've drank 4 cans and you said that you already were not feeling alright, then, why you have added the next 2 cans? I really can't find it logical what you have done… if 4 cans already made you feel 'not well' then why would adding 2 more cans make you feel better? excuse me but, where's the logic?

again, I'm having no intention to offend you but to me this is not a review of a beverage that you drank, it is mostly a review of your poor thinking process and choices. just please, edit your post to reflect such. and if you would like to review a beverage then you've got to take a normal (safe) dosage in order to include comments on the flavor it has, on the packaging, on the effects as well as side effects IF noted when taken a NORMAL (safe) dosage!

having all of that said, if I would be you I would re title this thread to 'massive caffeine overdose - a lesson learned!'

as you can see, I am still here, so I am quite sure that it is not a massive overdose as it did not kill me and I'm here.

also I wanted to ask something regarding this:

this means that the caffeine consumptions that you have had (regardless - coffee, energy drinks, or whichever else) has simply pushed your adrenal glands so so much that they have burned out!
</p><p> </p><p>are the adrenal glands being burnt out permanently? I mean, is this doing a permanent damage? if not then can they generally be burnt out permanently? but if they are, are there any ways to restore/ heal them?</p>

I'm nearly fully sure that there ARE such conditions where your adrenal glands can be permanently damaged, but that the information that I have left in my previous post was meant to mean that 'during the time when you have the overdose stuff, your adrenal glands are being incapable of delivering any additional energy anymore' and so, they were burnt out until they could naturally reload back again.

and yeah, by the way, I've noticed you've said that you have not overdosed (or at least not a massive overdose) since you have not died. well, you've got to know that overdose does not have to mean that the victim who overdoses is always dying. indeed, there are cases when people die out of an drug/ substance overdose, but such cases are rare - most people overdose and they just feel 'bad' to say the least. but drug overdoses are occurring when a person is using more than what it is medically recommended to be taken (as there are medically recommended dosage) anything more than that and you have the risk of overdosing. in fact, there are such cases (rare cases) when a certain person can overdose even if taking a dosage within the medically recommended dose. now, since we are talking about caffeine and caffeine overdose you've got to know that caffeine's recommended maximum daily dosage is 400 mg per 24 hours…. not 2.5 times 400 mgs in just one hit. and you don't have to believe my words. you can go on google and write: recommended caffeine dosage per day. read there. you are going to be explain how much, why, etc. etc. whichever the case, you've got to know that you have surely overdosed!

Garofalo

wait a minute… if all of that is true, I mean so much of caffeine is able to burn out adrenal glands then I can use this method in order to kill mine?? due to the fact that when I have started to slowly feel the wrath of my panic dysfunction I was surely able to do it without the effect of those freaking glands. The pure caffeine has been axe'd from a lot of vendor sites due to the fact that dumb college kids were eating a spoon full at once thinking that this is going to give them the energy they want and generally making them fell the way they want to feel.

but the main question that I have for you is… what the actual f-bomb you need so so much monster energy for?! LOL. I mean, drinking so much what you have expected? you're going to be full of energy and concentration to get going without anything bad to happen? every energy drinks are bad if thinking like that. I mean, you do know that this beverage you've drank it is not any kind of a magic elixir and you are not going to literally turn into a monster and it absolutely doesn't matter how much you are going to drink, right?! why you've drank so much of them? and the fact that you've felt bad after having so many of them - that’s a no surprise!

Sarah Sharp

oh wow, I have had no idea that you were able to somehow burn our your glands, I didn't ever thought that this is possible. I'm really worried right now and that’s because my husband is drinking them every single day… I mean EVERY SINGLE DAY! and I was sure that this is slowly killing him. he is like a veggie brained zombie right now when he is getting home and I am sure that it is because of this stuff. of course, initially he has started with lower dosages but then he has gotten them upper and upper and now he is drinking the XL sized can! it is obvious that I have discussed about this with him a lot of times and I have lectured him just so many times about how much sugar is in those stuff alone, not talking about other chemicals and everything else! I cannot even recognize that he is getting energy from monster! more of a straight up crash and burn! he is now addicted to monster, there is no doubt that he is and I just don't know what to do in order to help him as I do know that he must be helped right now.

at least, now I have more information that I can share with him thanks to you guys. I really appreciate everything that you have shared here. thank you guys for everything, for sharing your knowledge and experiences, this means a lot to me!

when that person said

this means that the caffeine consumptions that you have had (regardless - coffee, energy drinks, or whichever else) has simply pushed your adrenal glands so so much that they have burned out!
</p><p> </p><p>then burn out it is not literal… I mean, it is not like wires in a short circuit that are getting burned out. this only means that the adrenal glands are so so exhausted to the point that they are not working for a period of time.</p><p> </p><p>
wait a minute… if all of that is true, I mean so much of caffeine is able to burn out adrenal glands then I can use this method in order to kill mine??
</p><p> </p><p>also wanted to say something about this… adrenal it is just the symptoms and not the cause of your panic dysfunction.</p><p> </p><p>and also, one last thing in regards of overdosing etc. I have to say that I do know I have overdosed, but I do also know that I have not 'massively' overdosed. </p>

well, a person who is abusing most of the psychoactive drugs is going to develop tolerance and by the 'strict' definition is going to overdose by using more than the therapeutic dosage in order to reach the substance's original effectiveness.

with all of that being said, the OP did has come back to admit that he did has 'overdosed' on it. however, it does seems to me that the term has become pretty confusing when seen through our eyes here on this medical sites.

and that's why, my concern here is that most people are thinking about the term 'overdose' that can be used only when the person had passed out from using too much of a good or a bad thing when in fact overdose can be considered even if the person has a little jittery too, depending on the dosage etc…

Sairt2014

wait a minute… if all of that is true, I mean so much of caffeine is able to burn out adrenal glands then I can use this method in order to kill mine??
</p><p> </p><p>it seems to me nobody answered your question, either because that is logical or maybe because nobody knows the answer, whichever the case I am here to tell you that no, you are not going to do that, however, instead of that you will skyrocket your tolerance, you will develop dependence after a chronic usage (and trust me the withdrawals are real) and also, most likely you will desensitize yourself to caffeine once and forever.</p><p> </p><p>I can tell you people that I did have done more than OP did. however I can guess that I simply do not feel it as much as he did, and that's even though I am not a regular drinker myself…</p>

Beinale

hey guys, just wanted to chime in sharing what I know about this: the fatigue after the caffeine it is being caused by tolerance/ receptor down regulation.  what I try to say is that you are using a really high dosage of whichever substance (overdose) (caffeine in this case) and so it is hitting your receptors really hard and so, your body needs to return the balance back again and so it is removing some of the receptors that are 'worse' to say so. typically, this is happening over some prolonged time of using that specific substance, however it can also happen with some single high dosages, but these cases are rare and the dosages usually must be REALLY high!

another thing is… 'adrenal fatigue' that you were talking about it is not a medically accepted diagnosis. you should know that this is true because there is absolutely no evidence that would support / back up the assumptions that catecholamine reserves are getting depleted in your adrenals so so much which in turn is causing fatigue and maybe even more. in fact you should know that even if they somehow do it, it is having very little to maybe even NOTHING to do with your mental state! that's because the blood brain barrier is not allowing the catecholamines to enter and to exist so freely and openly.

with all of that being said here, you do can have some depleted neurotransmitters in your brain and/ or down regulated receptors either but even so, this is going to get back to the normal over some time as it is not staying like that permanently (and also, with proper nutrition either it goes back, and makes them going back quicker). well.. I'm sorry for my rant, I am going to stop here.

WHISTER0

hey there OP, I am so so happy that you have posted this, thank you very and very much and I do think that there must be a lot of many other people who must tell you thanks and that's because there are so few people who do seem to recognize that caffeine can be really dangerous in overdoses, pretty much like any other drug out there, or in fact, any other substance taken in too high dosages can be really dangerous. even if we're talking about simple, plain WATER! not talking about caffeine that we do know it has some unwanted effects on our bodies.

also something else to the OP: do you think that you could write a short follow up post as to how you have recovered over the next few days after this has happened from that caffeine overdose? I do think that this is going to be a really good idea and that it could help a lot of readers on this forum with such valuable and good information that you could share. so if that's not going to create too much problems to you, please, do it! thanks! also

</p><p> </p><p>I guess that this most likely has been intended to be funny or sarcastic or something like this, however, on a serious note here, exactly as the OP has mentioned it earlier in a post - this IS a symptom indeed! however, if you would ever need to treat that symptoms then I think that the beta blockers are the go to in the medical community as those ones might be what would save you from that symptoms and make you feel much better. as an example I can give you the Propanolol which really do seem to be pretty much common here for performance anxiety here where I am living (in the UK), and plus to that, not sure why, but docs here really seem to be super comfortable with giving people sensible dosages of this stuff especially when we would compare it with some other anti anxiety drugs that are very often much more harder to be obtained than Propanolol. anyway, if you are going to have a read and research about this stuff that I am talking here you are going to see that it is not actually treating the problem itself, however it is very good and effective for dealing with the worst physical symptoms that you might be dealing with from this problem and many people don't see a difference between treating the problem or the issues caused by the problem so they are fine with it.</p><p> </p><p>and yeah, one very last thing here that I wanted to say is in regards to what OP said - 'The dose is making the poison'. this couldn't be said better, it is one of my all time favorite quotes/ facts said up there and it is definitely all true! in fact, this is something that I am persistently keep on telling people when they are starting to talk about the 'chemicals' in their food or in their lives at all! as I have said it earlier in my post here… it is very good to always remember that water can be 100%  fatal if it is being used at the right dosage so when it comes to our bodies, substances, chemicals and stuff like this, dosage is key and we should always remember - the dose makes the poison!</p>