stop smoking drugs vs e-cigarettes

ReXxX

hello everybody. I am currently trying to quit smoking. I did have tried to quit by cold turkey method, however from as much as it seems - my will power to do so it is too weak and that's why I thought that I would need something to aid me in this. I started to learn about how to quit smoking and I have read a lot of positive feedbacks about smoking cessation drugs (like for example, I guess the most famous - Champix). however, I have also read that there are a lot of good feedbacks about the electronic cigarettes which many people said that they helped them to quit smoking. and so, my question is pretty easy, I guess - what it is better? is smoking cessation drugs (like Champix) or better go to e cigarettes? any information regarding one or maybe both of these stuff is going to be really appreciated. thanks in advance.

if you ask me personally I would tell you that you definitely should not go after e cigarettes and that is why I think that Champix would be a much more better option. I say so because as research continues, there are more and more negative and unhealthy side effects than it is first reported and if you're going to search a bit more about electronic cigarettes you're going to see that they are by far not as healthy as it seems that you think of them.

besides, city and state laws are also clamping down, and you are going to find yourself pushed out in the cold to smoke due to the fact that they are now falling in the exact same category with cigarettes as far as no smoking restricted areas. plus, I know that all you do is just switching from one addiction (cigarettes) to another one (e -cigarettes) which is pretty much the same. in short - electronic cigarettes have few or maybe no privileges when comparing to cigarettes. that is why, if you want to quit smoking for good then either cold turkey or Champix. but then again, this is mostly only my opinion.

HolyHolly

well, look, I am not an expert and in fact, I have never even smoked cigarettes (only tried once or twice) but never smoked them. however, I did have had many of those 'chimney' friends that I was thinking that they would never quit successfully with electronic cigarettes. I just want to say that if I would be you then I guess I would try them before drugs since drugs can have side effects or god knows what else. I wish you good luck and hope you'll stop.

Symone

hey OP, look. you could get the Vapo E cigarettes without any nicotine in it, which, from as much as I believe, this is the main issue behind the 'clamp down' (I mean, the nicotine that it is in the vapor that is being dispersed that is). that (I'm talking about the nicotine free e cigarettes) being combined with a lot of sugar free gum has helped a friend of mine, maybe it is going to help you too. and other than that, I would suggest to do the cutting back method. I do know it - there are some people who can go cold turkey while others just can't. this is pretty much individual and it is normal, you shouldn't be ashamed because of this. I wish you good luck as well as I wish you a smoking free life.

jessica302

indeed, when you smoke cigarettes and you stop smoking them with electronic cigarettes then you are switching one addiction to another, however there is a big BUT and I am going to explain it. I quit smoking cigarettes and I quit smoking electronic cigarettes too. quitting electronic cigarettes it was easy for me, it wasn't as with cigarettes and it was much more better. I just weaned myself off them in approximately 2 months and I have not missed either. In short, I was all fine. however, now I do know very well that I would never pick up a cigarettes once again. and if you do stop smoking then keep it like that and never try a cigarette in your life. I have learned that after I have quit with cigarettes for 7 years and then, one single part night over a holiday weekend all it took has been only one in order to ruin all the 7 years. I have learned that the worst way, but now I am here so I can warn you and tell you - please don't do it.

Garrett

Hello everyone, being somebody who has already quit smoking, I personally can vouch that such drug as Champix is having A LOT and too severe of adverse side effects that are including nausea, vomiting, strange and lucid dreams and the worst of it all is that it also has some personality changes and that's not for the better. if you do decide to go the Champix method then I just want to tell you that you've got to be prepared for side effects to occur.

in addition to that, I can say that I have been myself a member of a non smoking group (it was a little bit like an AA or something like this) and I remember that while I was there - a lot of people complained on Champix, a lot of those people gave in with Champix after only a 10 or maybe some more days due to the fact that they could not resist anymore with the severity of the nausea feeling and so - a lot of them switched Champix to some nicotine replacement instead such replacements as sprays, patches, gum and others too.

also, I one would argue that if the electronic cigarettes or vaporisers of a decent quality and brand, they are kind of replacement for smoking and that's since you are getting a similar sensation. however, as it has been mentioned earlier, indeed, it is easy to become addicted to those instead. I can tell you people that I did have used patches as well as a decent vaporiser too (and yeah, not those crappy e cigarettes out there - there's a very big difference between these). I mean, one of those that gave off some really enormous plumes of vapor, just so it felt pretty much like smoking and then eventually lowered the patch strength as well as vapor nicotine dosage. and yeah, I can happily tell you that it did have worked in the end. this is why I would say that this is a good method and it really is. however there are also other factors, such factors as everybody is different and responds differently to stuff and that is why - what has suited me, it might very well not suit to you and vice versa - champix has had a bad effect on me, but it might not have on you. but I am just telling you what kind of effects I have had from using it and what is my success story as well as which method I used. you may try vaporisers and see how they work for you. one sure thing is that smoking vaporisers for a short period of time has got to be much more less harmful than all of the chemicals that are being contained in a real cigarette. so, knowing what I have went through, I surely would go for electronic cigarettes (but pay attention - you need good ones!)

hollowed

hey everyone, I can happily say that I one have been cigarettes free for like 2 and a half years now and it is all thanks to the electronic cigarettes (vapor) and that's why I tell you - yeah, you can stop smoking with the help of e cigs and yeah that's a good method. of course, when I just have stopped smoking and switched to e cigs (I was smoking lots of cigs per day) I have started on a very high on the nicotine level and then I have been slowly working my way down until I've got to 0 nicotine level. it is like I was tapering down from a drug. and I had to do it slowly. I do remember that there was one time when I have went down from 6 mg to 3 mg and because the shortage was too abrupt, too big and too sudden I couldn't resist it and I have had to go back up again. but anyway, I can tell you that overall I am feeling better, a lot much more better as I am having way more energy than I used to have in the past, I can feel that food is tasting much better now (I remember how I used to eat the same thing when smoking and how I eat it now, how it tastes) and also what really feels amazing is that there is no more congestion or that wheezy sound in my lungs anymore. I feel healthier and I know I am healthier. I did have discussed about this with a few doctors and a few nurses (in fact, I was talking about this to whoever knew anything at all about them) but I am mentioning doctors and nurses here because they were the ones who told me that if you are going to do one or the other one then electronic cigarette is better. at least this is the response that I have got myself. and yeah, now, I do know very well that there are some exceptions (in fact, I think that exceptions are everywhere in regards of everything) to those people with some certain conditions like for example emphysema. they are saying that for such kind of people electronic cigarettes are no good due to the fact that they just get the lungs wet and that's no good. but anyway, I do think that to each his own. if there would be that miracle 'something' that would 100% help absolutely all people 100% to stop smoking then I guess there wouldn't be anymore other methods. but since there are many of them then I think that it is because what works for one might not work for other and so on and so forth. but I personally only wanted to share my experience here and to tell you guys what has worked for me. I really hope that this is going to help you OP at least a bit, or whoever else out there who searches for help!

ReXxX

hello there everyone once again and thank you very much for your replies and for voting for one or another. as I said, I really appreciate it all and I really appreciate that you shared valuable (at least for me) information. however I should say that even though I can see that there are more people who put their vote in favor for electronic cigarettes over smoking cessation drugs, I do think that for me this option isn't as good and that it might not work well for me. I do agree with whoever said up there that electronic cigarettes are also addictive and I do know that there are people who may become addicted to them when trying to stop smoking with their help. so I honestly do not want to switch my addiction to another one, I just want to stop smoking for good.

anyway, I can tell you people that I have been really interested in finding out as why people do actually start smoking at all and I have found out that for some people out there, smoking a cigarettes it is kind of a relaxing method… it is pretty much like they are dealing with stress or depression and anxiety with the help of smoking a cigarette. I do know that there are people who disagree on the fact that smoking cigarettes helps you relax and deal with anxiety and stress, but I would say that this is true and that's because I have found myself to be one of those people too, I guess that's the reason why I have started to smoke overall and why I continued to smoke. I know it because when I stopped cold turkey it was bad, but it was manageable, however I couldn't resist anymore when stress overloaded me. plus, I can literally feel it in my veins that every single time when I am having a minor stress I am having that urge to smoke! I know that there are such people who have urges to eat something each time when they are being stressed out, well - I am one of those who instead of eating I want to smoke a cigarette. I am going to try to get some help with the help of stuff but I have a feeling like there is nothing in this world that is going to help me to stop smoking, besides death! I hope a lot that I am wrong here…

Loynes

you are right, you definitely are right. you've got to go with what you feel that is going to help you. if voting between the 2 then as most people here I would put my vote for electronic cigarettes, that's because I personally have been very successful with electronic cigarettes… however this doesn't mean anything and that's because I do know people who are being very successful with medications so again - just go with whatever you think will work for you. I think that this is pretty much like we are all a spectrum of people who are all having different preferences or something like this :D each to their own. just notice what is going to be better for you. I can't really say anything about medications and if you do go with this method then all I can say is: read as much as you can about it and best is to be under supervision of a doctor. but if you go the electronic cigarettes route then start with nicotine level that you want/ need and then slowly get it down. pay attention to get yourself a good electronic cigarette. I personally when I have switched to an electronic cigarette, I have started off with a liquid that was containing 16 mg/ ml of nicotine and I think that I have good success because I am currently down to 2 mg/ml only since the last fall without any noticeable withdrawal effects - in short, I am much more better now. I do know that the last 2 mg are the hardest ones, but I still think that this is success and this thing has worked too damn well for me. of course - I recommend it.

Garrett

just look… there are a lot of people where I am working who have changed from the real cigarettes to vaporisers and all of them are very and very happy - they can't praise them enough. I can't understand why they wouldn't help you too since it helps so many people. at least, in my opinion, you've got to try it out and see how it work for you first. I do think that you are going to be a lot much better either because I have discussed to all of them and all of them told me the same… initially there are just some withdrawals and they are feeling much better after they get them off and also all of them told me that they are feeling much more better physically and their breathing has improved a lot too. I mean, maybe you are still going to be addicted to electronic cigarettes and maybe it will still not be perfect - but at least you're going to be a lot much more better.

besides, I think that I need to tell you so you've gotta know… they can still get the urge, from time to time, to smoke a real cigarette, however just think about it… anybody who has been a smoker in their life will testify that urges can come many and many years later after they have quit on smoking. I do know it very well… just one single real cigarette and a lot of those people will start on smoking once again. as I have said it earlier - I have smoked just one single cigarettes myself after an really huge row and started all over again a couple of years ago. I know it all too well - unfortunately.

Loynes

Garrett, yeah… as sad as it sounds but that's how it goes… aren't the side effects of the Champix/ Chantix crazy either? indeed it does work for a lot of people out there… but damn… does it put you through the wringer… I really hope a lot that you are doing alright… pretty much as I hope that everybody does!

Garrett

you know… champix it is just one drug that highly divides opinions and experiences… there are just so many people who simply can't handle the terrific ride through all of the nausea and some other symptoms…. and then there are the remaining few other people who really do find it to be very benficial. but that is in the time while they are on it… I should say that I one rode through the feelings of sickness myself, however it is important to mention that it had a contraindication with another antidepressant that well, words are failing to describe it all…

however I still can say that it is not for all as there is my brother who has never ever touched an antidepressant in his entire life turned, has been on Chantix too over there in Oz and he has turned into an extremely uncharacteristically incredibly aggressive and violent person towards inanimate objects in his house. and trust me I know what I am talking about when saying extremely aggressive and violent. he was so aggressive and violent that I can tell you he is pretty lucky that nobody got hurt out of that.

in fact, I can tell you that I do feel that there is some type of cover up with Champix and the rates of violence.

Grapply

well… look.. I was smoking myself and I have quit. however I still cannot speak from experience due to the fact that I quit cold turkey and what's interesting is that I quit cold turkey without even wanting to do so. I mean… it just kind of went along with quitting drinking… when I've quit with one, I kind of quit with the other one automatically and I am really glad that it went this way. however, I still can give you as an example my brother who has had some really great success with electronic cigarettes a few years ago so again, although I can't say anything from experience - I do think that they can be helpful and maybe even more helpful than drugs… LOL.. I just realize that this is most likely not the most popular thing to say on a drug forum. LOL. but anyway, truth remains truth. whichever the case, I would still surely give chantix or some other medication a chance just to check how it works on me personally. as you, I have also heard some really amazing things about them so they can really help I think. in fact I can tell you that I was planning to test them out just in case I would have a hard time and I would get back on cigarettes again (which I really hope will never happen). but it is true that you've got to try them both and to see which one suits you better.

luther16

hey there. I have stopped to smoke roughly 10 years ago and that's after I have been smoking pretty bad and quite heavily for like 15 years or so. I can tell you that then later I have been given a book (written by A. Carr Easyway if you're interested), of course I have read it and the approach has been literally like a eureka moment. It was that moment when in cartoons a light bulb appears over your head and hovers, that was my moment. after that I have done the one day course and honestly… I have never looked back since that moment. what I am trying to say is that if you have not ever investigated the approach yourself then I strongly recommend you to read it, I am quite sure that it is going to help you. I wish you good luck and all the best.

Windsor

Unlike other people here, Chantix has worked for me and it worked really well as it did helped me to stop smoking so I can recommend it. for me, it has taken exactly 2 weeks… I have no side effects except for the nausea (and by the way, nausea only when I have been smoking, I was not having any nausea if I was not smoking, and yeah, I have seen that here are many people complaining about Chantix's nausea side effect and I wanted to say… if you have nausea only when smoking like me then think about this once again as an side effect because this side effect is intended to happen!). anyway, after those 2 weeks and after being nauseous when smoking in that time - I have been done. it was that easy and it was shocking for me too how well it worked. that's taking in consideration that I had smoked (lots of cigs per day) for 16 years. all of this happened 6 years ago. but I do know that this is me, only… I mean, I do personally know of some other people, as well as I see those who posted here, have had some awful side effects which are frustrating I know…. but in fact, some of those side effects (mood swings and hallucinations in particular) are downright dangerous so you've to be careful about them. but, I still think that I cannot hurt to try it out one day or 2 in order to check how it works for you and whether or not are you getting any negative effects from using it. this is the reason why it is highly recommended to have a doctor prescribe you Chantix who can keep an close eye on you and can help you just in case you need it. so please, if you do think about starting with Chantin then have somebody to monitor you to objectively identify any mood changes. this is really important!

now, I can say that vaping really does seem to be like a pretty good option and as you can see OP, there are lots of people finding it really helpful. however, one of the very big and major issue is that there is not longitudinal data and this might be dangerous either. or it might not. we don't know. what I am trying to say with all of that is that we don't know the long term effects on our brains and/ or on our bodies. and this is the reason why there is pretty much like a gamble involved in using vape in order to quit smoking. you don't know what you can get out of using it. I would agree if you stop smoking with the help of e cigarettes and then you quit smoking e cigarettes as well in a short period of time. I mean, in such cases you don't risk with anything. but otherwise it is really a risk because from as much as I know - most of them are containing a lot of chemicals that god knows what are doing to your brain. this pretty much depends on the type that you are using, and this is the reason why you have to look out for that if you are seriously intending to try electronic cigarettes in my opinion.

and now, one last thing that I wanted to say here is that… whichever the case, I wanted to congratulate you on your decision to quit on smoking, that's the first step and that's very good you've decided it! I really think that this is great for you and it is making life so much more pleasant in so many different ways! I really hope a lot that you are going to find the best and right method for you that will actually work and make you quit from this bad habit. but what's very important to keep in mind is that the actual fight starts AFTER you quit… I mean, there is no such thing as ex smoker… know that you are always going to be a smoker… what I am trying to say is that how it has been mentioned by somebody else… it has only taken just one cigarette to put him/ her back to daily smoking habit. so what I try to say is that you can stop smoking, but you've got to be really careful on not to smoke anymore! don't toy with it around! no social smoking. just keep in mind that when you stop then you actually stop completely!

ReXxX

hey there guys. again, thanks for everything and for all your information and responses. I just came with an update here… I have decided to try out Champix and see how it works for me - if I notice something bad I just stop taking it and that's it. and that's why I have already placed the order for Champix and it is supposed to come in like 2 weeks or so and as soon as it comes I am going to give it a try. after that I am going to post some updates about my success and experience that I have had with it. thanks again.

Garrett

hey there again. just wanted to say that I have purchased myself a new vaporizer due the fact that I have started to smoke once again and I've purchased this one so it can help me quit again. the old one has been quite fine, it helped me stop once and it was generally OK, however it won't charge anymore so is knackered, that's why I purchased a newer seemingly better version. in fact, I know that it is a better version because this new one is amazing, it shocked me by the way it works. I was thinking that it would be quite similar to the old one but it is not. this one is fully digital and the only thing that it seems that it cannot do it is to make phone calls. it feels like I have a phone that instead of calling - it smokes.

I've got to tell you that the price for it was approximately $90 but from as much as I have seen it is a mid range product in terms of what is on offer but I honestly think that I don't need anymore or any better because the nicotine hit and the amount of the vapor that this stuff is producing it is just amazing! I doubt that those that are more expensive can do more than THAT! I mean… this stuff is so good that after just one single good puff, you nearly need to crawl along the floor in order to find an exist out of the room… I mean you can't see anything because there is just so much vapor in the air! and besides, I really like the smell of it too. this thing is making more of a smoke effect than the real cigarettes or a small scale fire.

I can report on the thing that this new vaporizer is giving off much more of a kick than the real cigarettes and now… that it is combined with patches, I really do not feel the need to smoke any more and that's amazing. I just hope that this is going to continue like that further. when an urge is hitting home, it is very fast naturalizing it. if there is anybody else who is deciding to go down the exact same path as I did then the Innokin Cool Fire IV Plus it is an extremely good option for you, I tell you this frome xperience but it is also revered by the vaping community either!!

also… I do know that it is not a good habit, everybody knows… however alongside patches, I really want very bad to get rid of this dependency I have on nicotine that has stuck around in my life for way too long now… and that is why now I think that this new beast that I have purchased must do the trick and then later, lowering the strength of the liquid at some defined periods it must help and soon get me completely rid of this addiction. I honestly do feel somewhat reassured now that the liquid is being made in the UK and not somewhere else, plus I can see that it has been certified as safe for consumption which means that I doubt that I am in some risks now…

RedHat

hey guys… I have smoked myself for quite a short period of time. because of what I have done I could not smoke… at least it made it very and very difficult. I have then tried the electronic cigarette and this one really worked. now I have quit smoking, however I still do use the electronic cigarette from time to time. if I would be you OP then I honestly would not take the drug… in fact, I would not even try it out.. I do think that it is so dangerous that it is not worth it and I say this because I had a friend who has been a professional baseball player (yes, he was smoking) and he has used it… well, he has had a heart attack from using it. and that is why… no way that I would try this drug, it is too risky in my opinion so I rather stay away or try the electronic method.

Garrett

RedHat, yes… Champix/ Chantix it is a really dangerous drug, it is a very nasty one and I tell you this from experience. I have been prescribed by a doctor this stuff and also, a close relative of mine has also been prescribed it. both of us has reluctantly went through the nausea symptoms that then, eventually, subsided, however it didn't stopped with that because it eventually has brought out a much darker side to our natures that was not there in the past, before taking this drug. as an example, if talking about that relative of mine, who by the way it is an incredibly successful professional, has vented his anger on some inanimate objects like for example doors and such stuff and when his wife understood that he's like that because of the drug, she has forced him to stop using it and he returned to his normal condition. as for myself… I am not having a wife who could stop me from all of this and I have been doing exactly the same as my relative been doing but since nobody stopped me… my anger was just growing and growing and it has reached a deeper level and I do realize now that if it wasn't for my mother then I would have seriously hurt someone out there, I do know it and I am ashamed of it.

as I have said it in an earlier post, maybe that has been a contraindication with another antidepressant that I have been given during that time (but I then found out that they do have contraindication), I don't know… what I do know is that everything has been given the go ahead and prescribed by a doctor… anyway, I am really glad that I could 'escape' from that drug and now I do know that I am never ever going to touch that medication whatever the case as now I do know that this is just evil itself packed into that pill so no thanks. better cold turkey or better whatever else, but just not the Champix, not for me.

dange19

hey, everyone, I tried e-cigarettes but it works only for 1 month after that I returned to smoke cigarettes again, but for 80% of people that I know quit smoking they used the cold turkey method and they said that is the best way to quit smoke. I think it is individual for everyone because someone has quit smoking with meds another one with the cold turkey method also heard a method to quit smoking that you should decrease the number of cigarettes that you are smoking in one day, it means that if you are smoking 15 cigarettes per day you should minimize this amount and try to smoke 10 per day after that 5 and .... until you reach 0 but this method in practice is an inefficient method. Don't give up and good luck to find that method that is right for you !!!