Trying to get pregnant at 38

anaesa

Hey, I would like to share my story and hopefully someone will help me with me questions I have. Well, I'm 38 years old already I'm in generally good shape and very healthy. I have a 12 years old son and a 7 years old daughter but sincerely I always wanted to have 3 children. After my daughter was born I never thought about getting pregnant once again until recently. I told my husband that I would like to have another baby and he agreed. We started to try for about 5 months and still nothing. I thought that everything was going to be just fine as with my first two pregnancies. I become pregnant with my both children from the first attempt we made but now it seems that it's much harder than I thought and I expected it to be. I'm very sad and frustrated because of this. We have been both tested (my husband and I) and it seems that the problem is in me. The doctor said that most probably my age is the cause of this. However he said that I still have chances of getting pregnant but it's now or never because I'm not that young when I was with my first pregnancies. Only now I understand how important is to conceive when you should and not to delay the happiness of being a mother because of the career or money. We don't have all our life to become parents and that's truly sad. I wanted to ask for your advice, what should I do now and if there is somebody who have been in a similar situation like mine and what you have done about it. Should I make it with the help of a doctor? Other ideas?

LOLA

hi anaesa, you are definitely right when you said that we don't have our whole life to get pregnant, and as we get older it is not as easy as it was. i agree with you that we shouldn't delay the happiness of being a mother because of the career or money, it could cost us very much. i'm telling this from my own experience and I know that it is true. however i think that this is going to happen when you're least expecting this, you just should be patient and belive in this. try to relax, think positive and try further. If you have been on birth control pills for a while then it is going to take a little longer than usual. patience is the key just don't stop doing everything you can in orider to become pregnant. i know that there is a some test the doctors can do to see how many eggs you have left stored up. in my opinion it is good that you have decided this now and you didn't wait a little longer. i recommend you to give it a try and to make this test done. take care of you and keep in touch, maybe we can help you somehow?

Quiroz

Hey anaesa, I can feel your pain because I have been thru the exact same situation. We're around the same age because I will be 38 in few months. As you I have never had a problem to get pregnant with my first baby when I was younger at 28 but now it has been very hard for us. Anyway I can happily claim that I'm 4 months pregnant I want to support you with this. I got pregnant with our first boy in the first month when we tried but in the second pregnancy it wasn't as near as we planned because we have tried for more than a year! A year and a half I was stressed and very very scared that I will never have a second baby. It was such a big problem for me that I was thinking only about this. We had sex nearly every night and I wasn't able to concentrate on anything else but this. I have started to study and to do tons of researches about this. I even got to the point that I was looking over the internet in what positions the chances of getting pregnant are higher. Of course both of were visiting a bunch of doctors. I have had a lot of blood work at different times of the month to check my hormone function and everything came back normal each time. All doctors told me that I should get pregnant because there is absolutely no problem with me. Obviously my husband also had his sperm counted and checked out and as you can understand he was perfectly fine. I know how frustrated you can be right now but I need to tell you that you should not give up your faith! I remember that people were keep telling me that I should relax and do nothing in particular and I couldn't stand that! Stay positive, have positive thoughts and I really hope that you will get pregnant soon!

ChelsJ

Hi. I would like to say that my situation is very similar to yours. I’m 35 years old. I have 2 children, an 8 years and 5 years old sons. Some years ago I never thought that I would like to have another baby, but about 1 year ago I started to think seriously to have another baby and I talked to my husband, he agreed and we decided to start trying. With my first 2 children I become pregnant on the first attempt we made too and so when we started I thought that this time will be the same and that I will get pregnant very quickly. However I was wrong, we have been trying for a year now, but no luck..  My gynecologist said that the problem could be my age too and I’m afraid that he is right because I see already 2 of us complaining about this because of the age. This time unfortunately is not like 8 years ago when I was 27. Now I’m really very worried about this, I have age against me, and my gynecologist said that time is very important, is now or never. I would like to have some advices. Anaesa, did you found out something useful? Please share that information with me. Maybe you got pregnant? I really would like to hear something supporting and positive.

Carol

I have had both my children after 40 and that’s fine. whoever says that this is too old don’t believe them, tell them that this is bullsh*t. because it really is. I have had my first baby when I was 40 and my second baby at 46. Both boys. And I have had both my children without any problems and without any medical intervention or something like that. I do think that maybe age is playing a factor in women’s fertility, that’s obvious, however, be sure that this is not everything. A 45 years old woman can be much more fertile than a 25 or 20 years old woman only because she has being doing everything alright, unlike the 20 years old unhealthy woman. There are a lot of women that are having a lot of problems to get pregnant from 20 to 40, but there are women like me who didn’t had any at 46. What I would like to point out is that we should be more paying attention not to our age, but to our food that we’re eating, that’s an much more important factors. We should be paying attention more to the air that we are breathing every day. we need to pay attention where are we leaving. We should also pay attention to all the chemicals that we are swallowing every single day. I think that all these factors are making women to get pregnant much more difficult. What’s the point if the lady is 20 years old if she hasn’t taken care of herself?

Plus, both the male and the female should be checked out for any possible health issues before trying to have a baby. In case there would be found no negative factors then you’re good to go and I would say that it is the right time to get a little bit selfish. You should start getting some supplements, you should start exercising regularly, you need to start eating healthy and organic foods and then you should start spoiling yourself with treatments, with all kinds of messages, with acupuncture and so on. With everything for you and your health (which is very important for your baby’s health). After all these things you should move on to the fertility treatments. You need to start to be great with yourself in the first place, and then you would be given “fertility”.

HolyHolly

So well, I’m going to share with you my story and experience and I really hope that this is going to give you some hope that you all need at this age. I am 37 years old and I am having a very good and gorgeous family. I have two teenagers sons, one is 16 another one is 13 and I’m also having an wonderful husband who really loves us and he’s caring about us. About our family. When our youngest son was born we were much more than sure that our family is completely and that there’s nothing that we can ask for. That is why, after we have discussed a few days, we decided that it is the time for my husband to do vasectomy and he has done it when my baby was only 5 months old. however, everything has started 6 years ago when my youngest son was 7 years old (he is now 13 years) and my oldest son was 10 (he is now 16 as I said). Then we have thought that it would be nice if we would have another baby, doesn’t matter if would be a son or a daughter. Therefore, my husband has done the reverse and then my doc has gave us an about 83-87%  probability (very and very good, because usually chances are smaller). Anyway, a little bit less than 2 years ago that doc. said that most likely we are not going to be able to have any kids due to the fact that sperm count wasn’t enough. 2 years have passed and we are still having the exact same results, however, can you guess? That’s an miracle! I am extremely happy – I AM pregnant! That’s soooo exciting, I’m shocked, that’s a big surprise and a godsend for us! I feel that I am blessed, my whole family is. That is why, I wanted to tell you all that you should not lose your hope regardless of what your doctor is telling you. do whatever you want and need to do (after all, you only have to do sex, haha). don’t think about it too much, just try try try because the day that you would least expect it wold be the day when you would see that you’re pregnant!