Warfarin and alcohol

P0tat0es

Hey all. so, I have to tell a little bit about me first: in the last month I have had a DVT and then only one week later I have had a Pulmonary Embolism. I have been having shots and I am currently being put on warfarin for my entire life… not the best outcome but eh… but, I have to say that I am soon having a bachelor party as well as a wedding that it is coming u and I really want to get… very drunk for both of them because they are really some days I want to relax. Besides that, I have to say that I am not a drinker at all. I do not drink on weekend, I do not drink for no reasons and so on. i am not a drinker at all since I am drinking only once every half an year or so at only some special occasions. So now, I do know that technically I should not drink because of the drug. at least that it is what the doctors are going to tell me, but let’s face it – doctors are always telling this. anyway, I am now being curious… what is going to happen if I am not going to listen to them one night and I am going to get hammered that night? What do you think is going to happen with me? of course I can’t say it for sure, however I am nearly sure that there are very much people who are on some kind of blood thinners that are getting hammered often and I guess that they are all fine, or I am wrong?

I do know that I really should not do it and what exactly could happen, however what I really would want is to hear what it is going to happen from some people who already are some blood thinners and they already got hammered and could tell me if the effects are all that bad or nothing happens (besides the fact that you are getting hammered :D )

Luis

As much as I know, they are dangerous because both warfarin and alcohol are thinning your blood that is why you need to watch and to be very careful on how much you are drinking when you are using this drug because it might be an lethal outcome and although I am not a doctor and I can’t say this for sure… theoretically it can happen so what’s the point of doing that?

Ernest

Hey there fella, join our club, even though to be on warfarin for life it is not certainly pleasant , as we both know. currently I am on warfarin for life either so I know what you are feeling like (I remember my first days of being on it) and I am a drinker myself. one would think that I do know what I am talking about… oh well…

Doctors are going to tell you that (of course) ideally not to drink at all and as you said, they are going to tell you that even if you are not on warfarin, but you would tell doctor’s that is bollocks. I would tell you that ideally you can drink but you need to pay attention not to binge like for example to get crossed eye drunk (or as you said, hammered) due to the fact that your liver is not going to be able to manage and especially when you are out of the practice since you are only drinking once in half a year or so. It is going to be like putting too much pressure on an untrained person. Here is putting too much pressure on your untrained liver. When you are being on warfarin, they are saying that the most important thing that you need to remember it is to maintain consistency, that is why in case you must drink then it is better to drink regularly (as stupid as it sounds) but not to binge otherwise you would find yourself pretty bad. In case you really must binge (but I don’t see how can that come), then ideally you should binge very regularly because your liver need to keep up or the chances are high that your INR is going to be pushed way over the edge in that one single session, something that you really do not want to happen. And regularly to binge is something that as much as I can understand is something that you either do not want to happen.

Also, it is important that your friends (who are going to be there) need to know about the fact that you are using warfarin, just in case because they should not panic in case something bad or whatever is happening but to be aware that you take warfarin and to try to help with whatever they can. it is not going to be a joke at all in case you are going to fall over in your stupor with your over the edge INR, that’s not going to be fun at all. this being said, you need to keep a very close eye on your body and watch it how it reacts when you drink for a couple of days after your drinks because in case you do notice some bruises anywhere that really should not be there or you start noticing that you piss blood then you should know that this is an hospital job immediately so you should call the ambulance without even thinking. In case it is not and you are all fine then your INR need and it is going to settle after approximately one or 2 weeks, in case you are not being sure or it is getting you antsy then you need to get it tested… as always.

Also, as an alternative then the next day after you have had the party then you need to get your INR checked – it is going to be the best (and that’s especially if you can get that done without seeing your doctor, that would be ideally). But if you do, then remember that they can help you to monitor your INR and to adjust the dosage according as your liver is slowly recovering. I also have to warn you that this can be a pain due to the fact that they are going to subject you to a lot of checks and test only to maintain your INR level within a good range that at this point it is going to be fluctuating like a rollercoaster that’s going up and down crazy. Whatever the case, I recommend you to have checked your INR about 10 days after you have had the session, only to be sure that it is all fine.

As has been stated, warfarin is thinning your blood. Alcohol does the same. And you know what they are saying? – it is always better to have your INR higher due to the fact that bleeding can be stopped (in case it is not too much, of course) and it is better to be like that than to have low INR which is causing strokes.
And yeah, one final note here, you might want to stick with beers due to the fact that they are less harsh for your INR. Personally, my first drink after I have had the valve replacement (this is the reason why I am being put on warfarin for life) it has been a quarter of glass of wine and this has taken my INR from the 2.0 to 3.0 only overnight.

Everything I have tried to say is that you need to be careful on what you are trying to do so you should drink yourself slightly because you should not get into any drunk fights because if you do – you have pretty big chances of ending bad. I wish you good luck and better stay away from unwanted outcomes.

Garofalo

Those people that are being put on warfarin are not supposed to drink at all and this is because of several reasons and in case they do drink then they need to drink in very much moderation (which means that it is less than 2 drinks). It has already been said above that alcohol is having blood thinning properties. Due to the fact that your blood is already being thin with the use of warfarin, then this is increasing the risks of bleeding and this might be dangerous. Besides, in case you were to get drunk and to have an accident then you would really would have be at a very high risk of bleeding. Like a very simple (and kind of stupid but common situation), in case you are getting drug and after that you fell and you hit your head then you could easily get a bleeding in your brain and hence… it is going to kill you. now think about it once more: is it worth to drink alcohol? And no, I am not trying to say that this would surely and necessarily occur, however this does increases the chances that this would occur. I really hope that this is going to help you somehow.