warning: don't use antibiotics without rx

Calvillo

Guys I really hope that you’re going to read this post and you’re going to hear me. I really want to ask you not to buy antibiotics without medical prescriptions and especially on web. I’m a doctor and I know how important is to understand the difference on buying something that you are not able to understand and mostly because you have to understand that there are a lot of antibiotics that are fake or that can’t be combined with your medical situation. I decided to write this because today we have lost a patient because of antibiotics that he used. Besides the fact that the antibiotic that he used wasn’t appropriate for the problems that he had, he also used the wrong dosage. Unfortunately we lost him, and I understood that this is a problem that actually has to be solved.

Some of you can say that is not so bad and that you used antibiotics that helped and that’s true, I believe you, but trust me there is always a possibility to have some serious problems one day the same as my patient has. If you really what to buy some antibiotics online that the only thing to do is to buy them form a legit site that can assure you with certificates. Remember that you always have to choose and from your choice depends your life.

For those who still think to use the drugs because they actually helped, remember that if the drugs are fake after some months you’ll find yourself sick again, because their effect are just for a moment to make you believe that they worked. I hope that you’ll take care about your health and health of your family.

CluEnd

I have never understood people how buy something because it’s cheaper without knowing what actually they use.  Taking care about your health is the most important process in our life. It all about what you but on your body, the same as food, you are what you eat, so the drug you use has the same classification.  Unfortunately I know that a lot of people that will read this will decide to continue the same thing, buying the same bad antibiotics without consulting a doctor. In fact people start to think about their decisions when it is already too late to change something, or after they create serious problems. Seriously it’s such a bad thing, when you understand that people are so stupid to destroy their self.

Garofalo

With the antibiotics, it is only a matter of what you are putting into your body personally (exactly as it is with a lot of other drugs either). you’ve got to know that when the antibiotic resistant strains develop as a result of misuse or overuse, it is not affecting only you alone… said bacteria can spread to others as well. it is a public health crisis in the making, we are already struggling with the existing strains like for example MRSA, and it also may very well ending up with something that’s even worse than that, something that you can regret doing.

Nonetheless I still think that we should address that one of the issues that people can face is that there are those people who can’t afford a doctor visit (or/ and the diagnostic tests), or would rather try not to pay for it also because of financial problems. OP, if you are living in the Europe or especially in UK then you’ve got to know that accessibility might be less of an issue in those countries (or especially in UK) than in other countries (like for example US, not talking about others).

But it really does seems like there are some folks who are simply taking an antibiotic in case they are getting sick and they are thinking that they, somehow, might be cured this way… either maybe from a previously prescribed stash (which they have not taken it as it is directed, to start with) or maybe from some other sources as well (that are discussed in some similar places like this forum board). It is obvious that it could very easily be a viral infection that those antibiotics are useless for them and so the patient is having an already losing battle, it is a condition that is not warranting the use of that specific antibiotic, or maybe a condition that really needs further medical attention than simply an antibiotic prescribed, or whoever knows what might be there. people often either forget about these little but very important things, or they didn’t even knew about them. yeah, there are cases when by pure luck or accident a person took an antibiotic not prescribed and his/her condition got cured, but that’s just blind luck. Or, we don’t even fully knows if its luck or not because the patient might develop further problems because of that antibiotic or maybe he/she has only found a temporary solution…

However, I guess that it is a pretty good thing the thing that as much as I can see, we do not seem to have a lot of people here on the forum trying to search a remedy for their sickness on their own with antibiotics which, I can assume, is because people are talking about their problems with a doctor.

K Borella

Hey there Calvillo, I honestly think that you have made some really good points up there. I am a firm believer in the fact that people should simply decide to take antibiotics when they are feeling sick due to the fact that they can’t know for sure what’s the proper course of treatment that they personally need with their conditions. But unfortunately, there are people who do order some antibiotics and they are taking them for no reason thinking that they do know what they are doing. Sometimes, even a doctor can make a mistake or something, that’s because there are lots and lots of viral infections and many other things that antibiotics are not going to cure – and not talking about simple people who haven’t studied medicine. Very often antibiotics are doing nothing for a condition, they can’t cure, help, alleviate or otherwise do absolutely anything at all in order to help a lot of conditions that people THINK that the antibiotic should help.

But I’ve still got to say that IMO there still are some of the valid and “worth” instances when a specific person ordering antibiotics are appropriate. I’ve got to start off saying that I am a serial and chronic collector of sinus infections / upper respiratory issues and especially during the winter days. so well, I have been having these issues since the age of about 11 – 13 years old and so well, I am currently having around 30 years of experience with those particular infections (sinuses or respiratory maladies), with their symptoms as well as how this is all affecting me (me personally). In all these years, being a chronic sufferer and being lots and lots of times to doctor and taking meds lots and lots of times and so on – it is obvious that I have learned it all.

In fact, I can tell you that I am actually keeping several Z packs in my house having them handy and ready to go for those types of occurrences... I am always trying to be prepared and that’s why I am ordering them just before that time of the year.

Oh yeah, of course I could go and pay $125 once again and to see my doctor once again and then to be told:” yep, it is the exact same thing this year once again” and then to simply go to the pharmacy and pay another $22 for the prescription. That can be done, but why would I do it? why would I spend money when it is not the first and it is not the 5th time when I am doing it. I am tired. And yeah, it is not only about money, but I also need to spend some hours waiting around at the doctor and after that I’ve got to make that trip to the pharmacy and all of that in the time I am being wicked sinus infection. Accidentally, this is the last thing I would want to do when being wicked with a sinus infection. Or, instead of all of that, I could pre order them when the time comes (and I do know that it does come), not going to the pharmacy, not going to the doctor, saving some money, and when the infection hits I could simply take whatever I need and that’s it, sitting home wicked  and not suffering. And yeah, I did have learned that bronchitis it is not a condition that can be helped or be alleviated or whatever by the use of the antibiotics. Of course I’ve learned it all in all these years of experience I’ve had. (and yeah, I am also saving on the Z Packs as I am purchasing them for only $9 instead of $22 and not mentioning that I am saving on gas because I’m not going to the doctor and to the pharmacy).

However, once again I have to reiterate that I still think that your point is extremely valid and I definitely do not try to say anything otherwise! The overuse or misuse of antibiotics is causing a lot of problems from resistance to bacterial mutation and whoever would do it most likely would miserably regret. What I’ve tried to say up there is that there are still some very specific (and IMO few) situations where a person could have a lot of experience with their doctor prescribing the exact same antibiotic over and over again for the exact same condition that they really seem to get on a regular basis for years. I think that this is the only case which would allow the person to have a lower cost of purchasing the medication and taking their own antibiotic, that’s the only appropriate way. I have started to do it after lots of years, lots of readings, lots of trips to my doctor and so on and so forth. You can’t decide on your own what you need after only your first or second visit to a doctor because one time it might be something but the second time it might be something else.

So, I am definitely not encouraging self medicine with antibiotics and in case you have a suspected infection or maybe any other condition that you have never been diagnosed with in the past, or if you’re unsure if the antibiotics are the proper course of treatment for you or have never been prescribed them in the past for a specific condition that you are feel you are currently having, ordering the antibiotics offline is not going to “cure”, “help” or generally make you feel any better or do anything for your condition! Everybody should know that in these cases (in fact, in most of the cases) it is an inappropriate thing to self medicate with the antibiotics and you surely need to go and see your doctor for a medical evaluation as soon as it is possible and get a proper medicine and treatment. I wish you all good luck and try to talk with your doctor as much as possible as these are the people trained to help you.

Tiffany

Hello there Calvillo, CluEnd and Garofalo. It is definitely true what you’re saying up there. the over use or the misuse of the antibiotics has led to an epidemic of the “super bugs” those bacteria which are being resistant to all the current antibiotics that we are now having available. I honestly think that it is very scary indeed. Besides, I also think that it is very and very important to have a culture sensitivity in order to treat a particular bacteria with some proper antibiotics! And it is also true what has been said up there (lots of people seemed not to know it but IMO everyone has to know) and I am talking about the fact that antibiotics are being completely useless for the viral infections such as the common cold with the upper respiratory symptoms, and even so people still want to get them all the time. in fact, there are even some recent studies that are showing and are suggesting that there are even ear infections that they do not always need to be cured with the antibiotics only due to the fact that they can be resolved with something less harmful or maybe even on its own as well.

Plus, I also know that there are people who are searching for the antibiotics and then, after taking them for a while, they feel a bit better and they stop taking the antibiotic prior than the should’ve been. When you have started an antibiotic course then it is very important for you to know it’s essential to complete the entire course of the antibiotic therapy! Lots of people do this mistake but you may feel symptoms free after a few days, however the bacteria that it is being left behind now has adapted and it has become more resistant, if you stop the treatment without your doctor’s consultation then you have big risks that in no time at all there is going to be a new “super bug” that might develop and it would be even more difficult and damaging for your body to get it out. I am not very sure, however I am wondering if there are some people who might be afraid that they could be drug tested? Thus they are turning to OP’s in order to avoid this possibility…

Whatever the case I tell you this: people, antibiotics are not candies, they are extremely damaging substances for your body and they should be taken the rarer as it is possible and only under a doctor’s supervision and his/her approval. This is critical to remember about antibiotics!

Calvillo

So well, hi there K Borella. I’ve got to mention that where I am living we are having health insurance for things like that (and I really do find it being irresponsible to simply go and use some antibiotics when I am not even having any ideas what it is exactly wrong with me or at least what it could be. well, fine, in your particular case it may be a little bit different from this, I’ll give you this, however even so, when it is all coming down to you then you just simply can’t know for all 100%, you can’t be all that sure that it is the exact same problem once again). but well, as for your personal condition… when you are getting it pretty much the same time each year, having the exact same symptoms each year and getting the exact same antibiotic each year then yeah, ofc it really could be what it has been all the other years in the past, though you still can’t be sure… I mean, what if it isn’t the same? In such a case you are simply going to be given other bacteria completely new times like for instance antibiotics to play around with, which once again is going to lead (or might lead) to resistance. And then later we are also having additional issues as well that Garofalo has pretty well elaborated about it in pretty much details.

EmmaHarded

Hello Calvillo, I honestly think that your recommendation and advice is spot on, however in spite of it, there are still going to be people who would go and purchase antibiotics and self treat for a variety of different reasons. And as we know, this poses a problem. so, I really think that the manufacturers should consider to have written there a “box” warning (something similar to the black box warnings that are found on the antidepressants) about this totally critical personal and public health threat as well. I think there should be a bold lettered caution in order to refrain from use at the onset of the upper respiratory symptoms. This is pretty much the rule of thumb: most of those are viral and it is going to run their course, trending better within a week’s time. however, in case an illness is trending worse instead by that time, then there’s a really big chance of a secondary bacterial infection could have been developed, in which case it pretty well may be appropriate to begin a broad spectrum antibiotic. I think that it is pretty sad the fact that there are a lot of people who credit antibiotics for their health improvement, when, in fact, their viral infection has simply run its course in the time they happened to be using them (which is obvious – the time your body fights it off, it is the worst so you go and take antibiotics). The credits go to antibiotics which is not true. I think that it is a true giant hurdle in order to overcome this misconception!

SingleMother

Couldn’t agree more with OP about that and with anybody who said that antibiotics shouldn’t be used without a prescription. I know it very well because I have to confess on the fact that I have played doctor in the past and I have “prescribed” antibiotics to myself ordering them online and taking them without a professional doctor knowing about it. however, then alter, after a little bit of more research I have come to the conclusion that I am going to let the medical professionals to make those decisions in the future for me as it is too dangerous for me.

Auntudgeou

Oh well, you know what, to be honest here I’ve got to tell you that I really do not give a shit about antibiotic resistance! It is very own existence is capitalism’s fault. I honestly think that neither the doctor and nor the patients are guilty in this. they are definitely not spending enough on new drug researches, I am also having a medical background so I do know what I am talking about. and trust me that I do not try to be the devil’s advocate here, however I still know that in the USSR they have had some MUCH better bactericidal treatments that has been based on bacteriophages and they could’ve treat people much better and easier. And they still do it. and if I am not wrong they don’t even have so many and dangerous side effects. however, do you know why we don’t use them? there’s only one reason and it is that they are being more expensive and they are having a shorter shelf life. why would they need something with a shorter shelf life and more expensive? It doesn’t matter that it helps people – money doesn’t come out of it. but those are some really good ones because they are having nearly nil side effects and also the tolerance does not usually develop either, since the viruses are evolving on their own. That’s just sad IMO.

RichardP

so well, look... I have to say that for some of us… it is being cheaper to go and purchase it online than to go to the clinic and talk to a doctor…. you are paying around $120 to see that doctor that it is running absolutely no blood work on you or anything that expensive at all (and no tests except for some kind of questions” and then it is prescribing you an antibiotic while not even the doctor is not really knowing either it is a bacterial or a viral infection that you have. once said the doctor is prescribing the antibiotic it’s off to the pharmacy in order to pay some even more, another about 50 to even 150 bucks for the medication when, in fact, you know that it is much more cheaper but… of course, they have to make money out of your sickness. Let’s be honest with ourselves… why just simply not to go online and to purchase them for like a tenth of the price when we all know that the doctors are being the main culprits of trying to over prescribe them in the first place. Everything has down sides and good sides IMO.

Calvillo

I honestly do not really share your gloomy outlook about this and lemme explain why I think that you’re definitely wrong. Without our “evil and capitalistic” system there are chances that neither one of us, you nor me would be able to continue or to start this discussion anymore and this is simply due to the fact that we would have been dead by this moment due to the fact that we could’ve very easy be killed by some kind of infection) and I really do not think that it is going to be a shocking surprise to anybody that the entire big pharmaceutical business – as we can see thatthe name is already suggesting this, - firstly about making money and only then, the second thing, about curing a disease and curing people (and by the way, not simply treating the symptoms alone, but completely curing) although I really can dare saying that there are 2 major factors that are contributing more and more to the development of the antibiotics resistances. The first one it is the doctors who are prescribing them to patients too carelessly and the second major factor is those people who are not understand that you are not being able to treat viral infections with antibiotics but self treating themselves anyway by ordering the antibiotics online (and there’s even the third point that I could add which is those people that are ceasing to take them as soon as they are starting to feel better as opposed to finishing until the end the treatment so that the bacteria that (may already have started) in order to develop resistance really can start growing more and more in their hosts). In short, we are learning from our mistakes, we learn and we make it all better. people do try. Maybe for the sake of money, others maybe for trying to help other people – in the end, it doesn’t really matter, what really matters is that people do get help.

Auntudgeou

Umm.. the thing is that the basic laws of the capitalism do NOT work for the healthcare for some of the technical reasons. There are some things that have to be left out of it and in the hands of the state. This is the reason why USA healthcare is only a really big piece of sh*t when it is compared to countries that are spending 1/3 of the American healthcare investment per capita. I openly can tell you that antibiotics sucks and no doubt in it. they are not and I am quite sure that they are never going to be a better alternative to phages in cases you could discover the pathogen. In fact, I can tell you that antibiotics are like some big evil chemicals that are simply going to go and screw up all the prokaryotes and of course, including even the benefic ones in your gut. Fu*k… in fact, there are a lot of antibiotics that are even going to screw your mitochondria, which are organelles that are very similar to the bacteria, as a side effect of tem. And all of that is without taking in consideration the liver, kidney as well as a lot of other issues that are being caused to millions of people every single year by the use of antibiotics. The morbidity it is quite high and IMO not worth it. the phages are highly specific and that is why they are only going to target the evil bacteria alone without touching your good one, with practically nil side effects at all. But it is too bad that they cannot be patented so there is no money to be made out of them. as said, who cares about your health? Give them your money. Prolly, if you would go to Georgia (it is one of the very few countries that are still having them) and you would grab some of the S Aureus phages then you could get rid of all of the MRSA.

Heck, if you don’t believe me then you can very easily check it out by going on the bbc.com site and in the search write the title of the article 'Red Army' virus to combat MRSA and you’ll see the article. Read it. I really don’t want you to understand me wrong. it is obvious that the antibiotics have been a really big revolution in medicine as soon as they have been discovered by the mankind and it is surely a much better option to use the antibiotics than to have your body taken over by bacteria, however I still think that they are a medieval solution to an issue that can be addressed with some much more better solutions out there that do exists. But then again, we’ve come to the idea that they can’t make money out of better solutions, so why not to sell something more harmful for your health that is much more expensive?

And yeah, also something else that I almost forgot to mention which is pretty important IMO… the real reason for the development of antibiotic resistance it is that they feed all freaking livestock with lots and lots of different antibiotics. And they are feeding the with a low dosage which is making it easier for the mutations to develop and to adapt over some time. I honestly think that this is something so damn stupid to make.

This is very easy to understand, you can do the maths yourself and see. there are indeed a lot of more animals than people and all of them are getting antibiotics! There’s only a pretty relatively small percentage of people that are getting the antibiotics each year and they are getting a much higher dosage which is requiring a good mutation to have already been developed due to the fact that there is no time to “adapt” slowly slowly. The irresponsible and “bad” behavior which is known as stopping the treatment before its end and using antibiotics without a good reason sure thing does contribute to it, however I still think that the human contribution is minute. But in the end… yeah, it is definitely much much more easier to blame the poor patients that are only thinking about their health and they are just trying to get somehow healthy than those big and powerful corporations with lots of people developing, thinking and researching about it….

Calvillo

I am sorry but I am too tired now to let myself getting dragged into an ideology was that it is based on half fact only, on conspiracy theories and whatever else. I am not really willing to take my time responding to that right now because as I said, I’m too tired. Maybe I would respond a little bit later thou.. but even so I really think that neither one of us is going to have success in changing the other people’s mind and in the end what we are telling here is only our opinion and nothing more. it is very simple, if you do not like the antibiotics then you simply should not take them and that’s it. it is of absolutely no personal relevance to me or I guess anybody else here if you would die from an infection or not. I just wanted to help and those who accept this help are welcome, those who won’t I won’t ask them to read it or to somehow “benefit” from it. best wishes, peace!