what’s the best antibiotic for acne?

LifeStar

Hey. Can you tell me please what do you think (preferably from experience) that it is the best antibiotic out there for treating acne? Currently I am using Doxycycline in order to treat it. when I have tried this drug Doxy a couple of years ago for the first time, it was not working for me, then I have went onto Accutane and this drug has worked very well for me, however the side effects were very severe and pretty intolerable for me and it was not fun at all to live with them.
After those side effects, I have been suggested to try Doxy once again so that’s what I have done and since then I have been using it (it is now about 2 years or so).

So well, I do have my on concerns with using it for so long time, isn’t it true that using an antibiotic for such a long time can be very detrimental?? Besides the fact that it can be detrimental for your health if used for too much time, but it also started not to work. Doxy has been working great for me (I am having no ideas as to why it did not worked for me for the first time), but that’s it… it was working that well. As much as I understood, I have become immune to this kind of antibiotic. Or maybe there’s something else. I don’t know for sure but I guess that it doesn’t matter so much, what really matters is that this drug Doxycycline is no longer working for me that is why I have stopped to use it. the problem is that now I need to search for another one. this is why I asked this question, which in your opinion is the best antibiotic for acne?? Of course except Doxycycline as well as except Accutane (and preferable except antibiotics that are the same type as Accutane and Doxycycline because I am afraid that Doxy’s types won’t work and Accutane’s types would also give me side effects). anything regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your answers.

James Leftie

Have you ever tried Minocin? Not sure in which type it falls but as much as I know this drug is usually recommended by dermatologists for acne. If you haven’t then I guess you should give it a try, might be worth it. good luck

Anniand

What you have? big boils or some spots? I think that you should mention this because there are different drugs for curing acne. And it is important to know what you have because different drugs cure different kind of acne.

Caulnureark

Accutane need to do the job. Sorry that you have side effects on it. but that’s the drug I used and in less than 4 months I have had a perfect skin and there has not been any other pimple after that. it really has done a very good job on me with no side effect except one pretty annoying: I have had extremely dry lips and since then I am pretty kind of addicted to the chap stick now, otherwise I’m having lip problems. I am still having 2 boxes of that thing that I did not used. Not sure if you want to give it a try anymore but maybe you should. Maybe this time you won’t have so many and severe side effects. not sure. Talk to your doc first because that thing is very expensive. It is like $500 per month (it costs so much for only a 30 day supply). For me that’s a hell of a lot money.

Candepoccus

So well, prior I am going to address your question about the anti biotics, I really need to make a couple of comments here.

You should know that acne is a bread term. As it has been mentioned here by Anniand, you should know and tell us exactly which type of acne you are suffering from. it would be very helpful for us to know exactly what type of acne you are having, for how long you are suffering from it as well as what is your general age. Generally a little information about you might be helpful in giving you a good advice.

And yeah, as I said, you need to tell us your age because it can play a very important factor here. like for example, in case you are having an adult acne, are 30 and more, fair skin as well as descend from Northern Europe then it might be the Sub Type II Rosacea and this is very often mis diagnosed as being acne, when actually it is not.

There are sometimes when it is a hormonal based issue and there are cases when in women it can be very easily and successfully treated with some certain birth control pills, you should discuss it with your doctor. This, being provided that you are under the age of 35, you are not smoking and you are having no objection to the hormonal therapies.
Also, due to the fact that you are discussing about anti-biotic treatment (only) then I need to ask you if you have already gone through the treatment with the topicals? If you have ever gone through then what were your exact results?? I need to warn you that there are a lot of topicals that could be harsh and they are making acne as well as the oily skin even worse than it used to be. depending on exactly what type of the acne a person is suffering from then sometimes, ceasing usage of topicals or cutting back of usage is able to put an end to it all. and even, especially due to the fact that there are a lot of people adopt a more is better approach with topicals usage.

Therefore, all of this is pushing me to one other comment. In case a person is having a problematic skin (for example you) then you should learn a lot about the ingredients that are triggering acne (I assume that you know about it but if you don’t then it is the perfect time for you to study, study and study about it). for example, I can tell you that the silicones as well as the parabens are the worst triggers and you need to stay away from the by all costs. That is why, you should also start researching if any of the skin care products (and generally everything) that you are using are containing any of these ingredients. Absolutely any of them, that has any of them, even in very small quantities – you need to stop using them right away and you can start noticing if the acne is getting better / worse.

Now, as much as antibiotics are concerned, usually tetracycline or tetracycline derivatives are what is being given with the exception of the erythromycin that it is a macrolide antibiotic. You should know that Doxycycline as well as the Minocycline are having the longest half lives as well as the lowest rate of side effects among all of the tetracyclines, however, there are sometimes when they are demanding multiple courses at some high doses in order to spread over time. both of them, indeed, can be extremely effective on curing acne.

In case you are suffering from a minor to moderate acne then Accutane drug it is not worth to put your body through. I really can’t understand your doc’s way of thinking, but I am not a doc and I don’t want to say that he has done something in a wrong way. Plus, in case you are living in US then you need to go through the cumbersome IPledge program while you are under the treatment and in case you are a woman then this is including monthly pregnancy tests and some forced use of some birth control pills before you are able to obtain their prescription. Naturally, there are a lot of women who are refusing to take any birth control pills only because they lie, that’s because you are never physically tested… Accutane can be extremely effective in treating severe acne, however, as you have mentioned and noticed yourself… it can have some harsh side effects. having all of this said, we have been provided very little information to help you. you need to discuss more about this with your doc. you need to research more about ingredients that are triggers for acne and also remember that there are some skin care products that you think it helps but in fact it all makes even worse. Read their ingredients and make sure that you avoid any triggers.

Really hope that anything here would help you.

Patrick LBS

I’m sorry that it is so hard for you to find a drug that actually works for you. when I have been younger, I also been having acne and this irritated me so much! I have been on Doxy and it did worked for me but it worked for me in a way that the acne never returned to me anymore. very sorry that it did for you. not sure how I can help you… sorry. But I hope you would find whatever you need that helps you.