A LOT of fetal movement, is this normal?

Wispond32

Hi everybody, I would want to ask something about fetal excessive movement! To be honest I’m a little concerned about this even though I have searched a bit on the internet and it seems that I have nothing to be worried about but I would want to get other people’s real feedback and suggestions.

So I’m currently 34 weeks pregnant with my second baby and as I mentioned he is moving much more than my first baby. Now I see that it is true about every pregnancy being different, I can say that from my own experience because trust me it is a lot more different than it was with my first pregnancy, I mean that the baby I’m carrying now is A LOT more active than was my first babe. I have read on the internet and even my doctor told me about this that at this time he is normally supposed to move but generally the number of movements is around 10 to 15 times in few hours but this baby is moving MUCH MUCH frequently, I’m very sure that it has a lot more than 100 movements per half an hour! When I had my first pregnancy I could count very easily the number of his movements but now it’s almost impossible because they are so much I can’t keep with it. I remember that my first baby was moving then he would rest for a period of time then again he would move and again rest for few hours. Only at the end of my pregnancy he was nearly as active as is my second child, but not as now and definitely not at this time of the pregnancy. Only at the end of my pregnancy he could kick hard enough to make my belly move and so we could see his feet but now we can do it at this time of the pregnancy. Now I started to notice that he is moving very early, much earlier than with my first, now he started to move at around 13 or 14 weeks and he doesn’t seem to stop! As I said my first baby was moving then resting, but this one is never resting! He seems to stop moving for maximum a half an hour or so and then he is back with kicking and moving hard and without interruptions. He can move like that for hours at a single time without a problem and he isn’t stopping.

It stretches and kicks and rolls so hard and so frequently that I feel bruised on the inside all the time and believe me I’m not crazy and not inventing anything. When I’m lying in bed with my husband he can also feel it moving or whenever he put his hand on my belly. He even can see it too. I have told about this my friends who also were pregnant and they keep telling me that a lot of fetal activity is a good thing because it mean that the baby is healthy enough to use its energy for movement, it means that everything is fine with him. However my husband is worried and my doctor told me “not so good news”. My husband thinks that it could be due to seizures or that something isn’t normal. I have searched a little bit about what could be a sign of trauma and seizures and I found that usually a baby should move very intense but then it should not move at all. Well my baby doesn’t have episodes of no movements at all so I assume it has nothing to do with it. There’s another option my doctor told me after he checked me. He said that it could be hiccups but I also have to disagree with him because the movements are really strong, sometimes are so strong that it hurts me! And as I said they are so strong that even my husband can feel them. Is there someone else who ever had unusual excessive fetal movements? I really would like to know how your baby is now doing and if everything in fine. Or at least someone can have another option of what this could be? I need to know any possible option! Maybe I’m just freaking out too much and my baby is healthy just very active? Thanks in advance for everything!

MBernic

Hi Wispond and hello to our forum!

I doubt that I can tell you whether your baby is O.K. or not but if you are really that worried then I would recommend you to ask the doctors to do a fetal stress test on the baby. I have heard that they can do it and they will tell you precisely what is going on there. Doctors after all know best. Remember that what the doctors told you is only their opinion and I'm sure that they pointed the worst thing what could happen. Moreover you asked them to check if there is something wrong, I'm sure that they're just telling you possible things but didn't they mention that most likely everything is O.K.? I'm asking that because to me (I'm not a doctor) it seems that everything is okay and that most likely you are just having a future sports champion or an Olympic champion in there :D so don't worry that much. I'm sorry if I am wrong but I think that you're just over thinking about it. You're just stressed, you want everything to be O.K. and that's a sign of you being a good mommy :)

Good luck and be healthy both of you :)

HayLey

Yeah, I'm having the same thing and I also was concerned about it! I have an incredibly active baby growing inside and as MBernic said perhaps there is growing an olympic champion)) I hope so. I'm now 35 weeks pregnant and I also felt first movements very early. When I first told that I'm feeling something moving there my husband told me that it's too early and it's impossible. It seems that it is possible. My baby is always moving! Doc said she never saw anything like that before. 20 movements in less than 5 minutes. At first I also was scared that it may be seizures. Told me that everything is just fine with my little boy and he's normally growing. He's my first baby and we are all waiting for him :)

vernita

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and oh my god I do know what are you talking about. I told my doctor that my baby doesn’t stop moving and he doesn’t believe me but boy… my baby really doesn’t stop moving, jumping, kicking, rolling, jiggling, flipping and so on. I’m having nearly an impossible time sleeping or taking a nap, it’s very hard because it’s very painful sometimes. I doubt that my baby is ever sleeping or at least resting. Every day, all day long, I can clearly see little parts of him kicking out of my stomach and sometimes his kicks are so bad that I can see like half of his body coming out at the top of my stomach and then the other half at the bottom. It wouldn’t be such a problem but it huuuuuurts badly! Moreover, I do understand that there’s nothing I can do about it and this is.. oh well. Now I doubt that I want to have a second baby after this, because it hurts 24/7 and I wonder what will happen when I’ll give birth.