About Panic DIsorder and Attacks

Hiscambeste14

So… hi. I don’t even know I am here… well, I am suffering from panic disorder and these panic attacks are a real mess up in my life. I have just been wondering maybe here is somebody who can tell me whether is there something I can do about it or?! Trust me I am here because it is a very bad situation, I am getting those panic attacks to such an point where I am thinking that soon I would die or something. They are nothing like you are easily dealing with, I have a feeling like I suffocate and something like that. honestly, that’s very and very scary and I am not sure how I can deal with them. and yeah, that wouldn’t be such a big problem if they would occur once a month or so but they are occurring so frequently that I get a panic attack AT LEAST one time per night, but there are nights were I get it up to 3 or even 4 times. That’s extremely scary and I really think whenever I get it that it is the last time when I have it ‘cuz I won’t live to get the next one. plz any help here, I’m really desperate!

MBernic

Well look, in case you are having the tendency to shallow breathe (hyperventilate – since you said that you feel like you are suffocating) then to learn a couple of breathing exercise might be really useful for you. in order to help you, you should get a brown paper bag and each time that you feel panicky then you should place the bag over your nose and your mouth and you should inhale through your nose while you exhale through your mouth. These exercises are better explained if you are going to have a quick google search. You’ll see some very useful tips. You should take even breaths (at least try) and then gradually your breathing is going to slow and to return to normal. Read about this as much as you can and you’re going to be explained everything. As much as I can observe (although I have never experienced those feeling myself, even though I did have had panic attacks years ago when I was younger) this feeling of doom like you are dying is pretty common for patients suffering from panic attacks. However I have to tell you something that would ease your mind and what you have to think each time when you get it: this is not going to happen, you are surely not going to die from having an attack. This thought should help. and if you do not believe me you should search the internet. There are no such reports. I know it is hard because when you have a feeling like it is just about to die it is hard to believe that you won’t, but you won’t. besides, you should tell all of this to your doctor. As much as it seems, you haven’t discussed about this to any professional but you should. You might be referred to an anxiety clinic and there you are going to get help. learning this exercises and talking to a doctor and being referred to anxiety clinic would help you a lot. besides, a professional doctor might give you some anti anxiety drugs that are available out there. all of this in combination would surely get your rid of anxiety and panic attacks. You might start your searching here on the forum on Anti Anxiety Drugs topic and then go to google. Really hope that this information is going to help you. also do not forget to update and let us know how you feel. Good luck.

Dora

Yeah, there are indeed a lot of things that you could do about it, however in my opinion the cognitive training is most likely going to help you the best way to overcome your panic attacks. It does require some time and training but it is worth it. you should try to join a group about this or to read a book about this. generally, they are easily readable and they are teaching you the right and the wrong way to do it all. I have learned myself some exercises from a group I joined and it has helped me a lot to keep my anxiety at a minimum level and honestly since I have learned the tricks I have not gotten any panic attacks but they were pretty much the same as yours. They were extremely severe and I have been gotten them every day and sometimes even more per day in the time I have started to search for some information about them. also, trust me, as soon as you are going to be able to control your thoughts and you would learn all those tricks and how it is all done right then you are going to start to make very much of progress and it is going to be much faster than you are thinking that it would be. at least that;s how it was for me. the progress was so fast that I never thought it is going to be that way. I wish you good luck.

Hodgetts

I’m reading this post of yours and I see myself in it. at the very least I have used to be in the exact same situation that you are now as I have been having at least 2 or 3 panic attacks per day, every day.

So well, I am not having them no more and I’m going to try to help you get rid of them either. The first thing that I think you should do is to get yourself some Xanax or some valium from your doctor. However, remember that these need to be used exclusively only to get you back on your feet, because they will, but then you have to control the situation yourself. That’s just only a stepping stone in order to help you to get it under control, it is very important for you not to take Zoloft or any of those other long term drugs due to the fact that the attacks are going to come back in case you are stopping to use it and it is going to bring along a very nasty case of vertigo that you really do not want to get through. So well, after that you should do the following things in the time you are weaning yourself off from the Xanax:

The first and I guess one of the most important exercise is to BREATHE! Oh yeah… as simple as it sounds but it is really helpful. and in fact, that’s not so simple, it requires a lot of breathing exercises, you should learn how to do it in a correct way, like for example the diaphragmatic breathing has helped me extremely much.

The second thing is to exercise, really, I know that you are most likely tired to hear about this, but exercises does help very and very much with the stress.
The next thing is you should forget about caffeine, you should have no caffeine intake at all, no coffee, no chocolates with coffee etc. you should drink chamomile or some herbal tea instead of coffee.

Another thing which is very important either – you should eat fresh fruits and vegetables – really, eat them on a regular basis every single day – you’re going to feel much more better than that.

And one more thing that is also gonna help you a lot: supplements, really, try it. for me, especially good was st john’s wort, the 5htp and the holy basil you should give them a try. Besides, the valerian root is very helpful either as well as you should take magnesium and calcium as they are going to help you too. you might get some other recommendations from your doctor but doing at least as much as I told you here and you’re going to feel waaaay much better than you were feeling when getting the panic attacks. Trust me I know it because as I said, I have been there. I wish you good luck and I really hope that you’re going to end this period of panic attacks.

Poppy

I am a long term sufferer and find that the best anxiolytic by a long way is alprazolam. Pfizer/Upjohn Xanax is the highest quality brand and my first choice for acute situations in 2mg dosage.

However, since starting on RIvotril ( clonazepam) 2mg tds, I haven't suffered a single fully blown attack, and consider it to be the best prophylactic (preventative) on the market.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a prescription or IOP purchase of both meds, which I think are the two essentials for this distressing and often disabling condition.

debra

Poppy, we should not forget that people are reacting different on drugs. Yeah, I do agree with you that Pfizer Xanax it is the best and highest quality brand that works purely amazing for me personally, however, there’s a friend of mine, suffering from the exact same condition as me and we’re both the same age (we know each other since we were kids) and Xanax does not work by far for her as it works for me! What I am trying to say is that people are reacting differently on drugs and we should not forget about this. On the other hand, Clonazepam (Rivotril) 2 mg does not work for me at all. It makes me feel groggy, nauseated and an overall sickness feeling. I can’t take it because when I do, I simply don’t feel alright. But my friend benefits a lot from Clonazepam. She has started to take it not so long ago and she swears that it works absolutely amazing. But it seems that you’re a lucky one which both of these drugs are working very good for you. However I’m sure that there are other drugs that might not work for you and might amazingly work for other people. people are different, keep this in mind.

In addition, with all the respect for you Poppy but I don’t think that it would be a good idea to recommend anyone to purchase medications like xanax and rivotril without a medical prescription. I do see that you’ve said considering a prescription, but that’s enough. These are not the type of drugs that can be used without a doctor’s prescription. The only way I would agree (barely agree) is when a doctor gave you for example xanax, it worked amazingly for you and for whatever the reason, he took it off you, or you’ve moved to another town and the new doc doesn’t want to prescribe it to you, or the old doc moved and you’ve got a new one who doesn’t want to give you xanax. I’ve heard about such situations. Here I could agree, when a doctor tells you that it is working fine for you but then it comes another doc who said that you should be put on something else that doesn’t work and keeps you on that. IOP might really can be considered then. I think that a patient never should use a prescription drug him/ herself for the first time without a doc’s agreement. It might be very dangerous. What I am trying to say is that there are people benefiting from IOP’s, but there are other people who ruined their lives with this so I think that there should be a balance about this.