Antidepressants for anxiety?

halseara

I have been suffering from anxiety since I was a little girl. This happened after a trauma complex childhood trauma. I have always through that one day it will pass away after some years but here I’m 24 years old woman that has a big problem and still doesn’t know what to do… I have tried a lot of drugs and some of them seemed to work during some months, after that my symptoms were back with the same anxiety as before the drug and with other additional symptoms as avoidance, paranoia and very strange bad thoughts in my head that I couldn’t eliminate.

My psychologist told me that I’m close to develop a social anxiety disorder and I was so afraid of this. I started to observe that I was afraid to talk with my friends and I didn’t acted as in past. Almost all the free time I spend home with my cat, afraid of going outside, because all the time I want to go outside I feel like something is going to happen to me and the worst thing is that I always feel like something bad can happen with people I love. Sometimes I just woke up in the morning super energized and positive thinking about good things, and almost ready to call my friends and to go at least for a walk.
I can’t say that I have suicidal thoughts, usually its most about the fact that somebody is going to hurt me or hurt people next to me. I don’t know what’s happening. I would like to get rid of these thoughts as soon as possible to live a normal life

My friends support me and understand me, some of them tried to help me but it’s really hard. I’m afraid to become antisocial and loose my friends. I know what ya’ll say, that if they are my real friends they will never live me and that they will help me, but this is the life and I know that this can happen to everyone. I have heard about something like this, I know how hard it could be.

I’m here asking for help, and the most important thing now is to find the best medicine for me. Can you just share your own experience and to what have you used to pass over. Any type of advice will be appreciated. Please take it very seriously; this is my last possibility to find the way.

P.S: Recently I have found some info about Luvox, but I know nothing about it and I don’t know how it works. As well as Paxil I have heard but it’s still dubious for me because I have heard bad reviews for any of these drugs. Please help me if you can

Grapply

Hello there, I’m very sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and I know very well what it this. I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and social anxiety at my 18. After a long depression and years full of incredibly miserable thoughts about my life I decided to visit a psychologist. I found out that it was something more than just depression, and that I have had to start a long way to a good healthy and positive life. The worst thing that I have had suicidal thoughts, I’m glad you don’t have it.

The thing that I wanted to say and I think that you have to believe it is that you can pass through it without using drugs. During all these years I have tried a lot of drugs and of course some of them helped, some not, I have had a lot of bad symptoms but after all I decided that I have to be my own drug. If my head created all of these, this means that my head had the power to cure him. And you know? This really happened; the biggest influence was to try to think positive as much as you can. I have found a great psychologist and this was another important factor. He was ready to help me and to support me. I have found the power to go through the fear and to find my peace.
When I started to do this, the most important thing was to use drugs as less as possible. This is way I started to use drugs just when the situation became critical.
The drug I used was Xanax, usually I used it during the night in order to fall asleep when the situation was insupportable and when I felt like I started to think about death, xanax was the most appropriate drug that used to put me asleep and to help me in such situation. After some time I was able to lower the amount of xanax during the week, that’s why I arrived to use it 3 times a week and after one year just once or twice a month. I have tried Lexapro and Luvox but I don’t remember the results. It was long time ago. Anyway I have tried also Paxil and it worked for me despite the fact that a lot of people recommend me to try something else with the excuse that it’s not efficient. I was so depressed and exhausted that I decided that I have to try everything; I was ready to do everything just to feel a little better. So it worked, the thing that made me quit is that I became really addictive to this drug. It was hard to switch to another one, so be careful it you want to try it.

Xanax was the only drug that didn’t made me addictive, but I could be because of the fact that I always limited my dosage and I always tried to get out of my anxiety without any drug.

I hope you’ll try to find with it by yourself, I know it’s really hard and that it requires a lot of dedication, but trust me you won’t believe how powerful is our mind, and that we are strong enough to cure our self. Good luck supergirl.

Ornelas

Same as user above, I believe that is much better to seek for professional help. This is the best way to overcome your problems and to help to become stronger. It’s better to search a good therapy that will be able to help you instead of using a lot of pills and drugs to overcome this. This is all in our mind, and you’re right the thing that our mind created can be controlled, don’t let your body and mind govern you, just take a step to change yourself and to control your life and you want.

I don’t understand what kind of psychologist did you have, that wasn’t able to recommend you the most appropriate drug and didn’t recommend you a cognitive therapy. You should search for another one and don’t be afraid to change them if you feel that they aren’t able to help you. You have to feel confident and to feel that they help you as much as they can with the professional that you choose. If you go to one psychologist just because it have to, than you just waste a lot of money that you can use in a better way. I wish you success and a lot of luck. I hope that soon you’ll come back here with some good news for us. I really hope so!

halseara

Thank you both for the information provided, I think that searching another professional help will be the first thing to do in my list. I really enjoy the fact that I found here a person that have passed through this, because it makes me believe that someday.. Very soon, I’ll pass over this too.

I really don’t know how to explain my psychologists behavior, maybe you’re right and he worked just for money, and I hope that the next one will help me somehow.

About xanax: I have heard about it many times, and some of my relatives told me that I should try it. I was always afraid because I have heard more bad reviews than good ones and I thought that it’s an inefficient one. I’ll try to do the same thing using xanax, when I’ll have insomnia.

I really didn’t hear about cognitive therapy, I don’t know what this is, but the next time I’ll ask about this to my psychologist. Hope that you’re right and soon I’ll feel better. I’m so sick being anxious and I want to live my life in a better way!