biting my togue during the night

TcierraT

I was biting my tongue during the night so I had an appointment to my doctor who put me on Topamax. After several weeks I decided to stop it to see the effects. It was ok and I stopped it. I had been of my meds for several weeks and no bites during the night. However a week ago I was sleeping I started to bit my tongue really bad. I had 8 grand mal seizures and I don’t remember a single thing. When I woke up that morning from the seizures I had blood all over my pillow like I was beaten there or like someone was fighting really badly on my bed. I had bitted all of my tongue and mouth. It was so bad that there was a piece from the side of my tongue that was missing!!!! I never have had and I never saw something similar before. Instead of going to work I immediately went to my doctor and obviously he put me back on Topamax. He said that I’m like that it ended that way because sometimes this is life threatening! He suggests that I have an infection in my mouth or in my tongue, maybe in both of them. I’m still having pains after a week and it is almost impossible to eat a thing! I already lost some pounds because it’s really painful for me to eat now. I’m thinking about this 24/7 since then and I don’t know what I need to do. I’m scared to stop using Topamax since then and I doubt that I will ever do it until I will find a solution. I’m also afraid that I’m going to be addicted to it all my life. Does anyone ever had something like this before? I will follow every advice you can give me! I’m desperate and afraid that this is going to happen again!

Howchin

I'm so so sorry that you had to suffer from this and for what happened to you that night! I can feel your pain because I am suffering from biting my tongue during the night for many years already and I'm so tired! Unfortunately I can't help you with anything in particular, I have done many researches but nothing comes into my mind how I could escape this pain which comes on and off for so much time. I only know that the tongue is one of the most sensitive areas of the body and any pain there is almost unbearable, especially from a severe tongue bite as you and I are suffering. I know this doesn't make you feel any better but I would like to encourage you. I also hate this feeling but I'm not giving up in searching and hoping that everything will be alright, even though so much time already passed and I found nothing. Also, even though my seizures aren't frequent they are very and very bothersome, annoying and painful when they occur. For example I had one last week during the night. I am thankful that I have them at least only during the night, I have heard that some people are having them at any time. The next morning when I woke up after that night I noticed (it was impossible not to notice) that my tongue was swollen from biting it and I was feeling pain all in my mouth due to any movement with my tongue! All the day after that I felt that horrible pain in my mouth and the tongue was so sensitive I could barely eat something. I can't imagine eating something hot that day, I think I'd die there from pains. As I said the seizures are infrequent but I would like so bad to know how to get rid of them completely. Even now I still can feel some pains after that night, still after a week. I hope our prayers will be finally heard and we'll escape from this hell. Also, thank you for posting this!

JohnyBravo

I know what are you talking about and I know how horrible is to have it! Luckily I have to say that I'm not having this problem anymore but I have had it for 30 years and I know how much pain and horrible weeks it can trigger. I'm not suffering from it for about 2 years now when I have had my last seizure but I still do remember now very well how is to have it. It gives me the worst memories because of the worst pain ever felt due to biting my tongue and cheeks extremely abnormal. Those who don’t know might think that I'm overreacting but I assume that you two guys can understand me. As you I also have had "good mornings" with my mouth filled with blood and all over my pillow and the whole next days I could not even drink water because of the extreme pain I have had. These mal seizures were so bad that I had tears sometimes and I barely knew what is to feel normal because my tongue rarely was healed due to very frequent biting during the nigh so... Trust me I do know very well what are you going thru now and I'm so so sorry for you. I won't return to those moments again for nothing in this world. Here is some advance: ask your doctor to give you some kind of anesthetic that you can swish around in your mouth until the pain goes away, for me it worked and I have had a little relief especially when I was having seizures frequently, it might work for you too. I really wish you're going to zoom past these experiences and you're going to find a forever relief for this. Good luck and have peaceful nights and painless days.

Seemorger90

ooh well, i just found your site, this forum and i need to say that it is very comforting seeing that pretty much everyone else goes through the same pains and troubles. i'm really sorry for everyone especially when you wrote that you're suffering from this problem for years because the first time i got this it was two days ago. i suffered my first grand mal seizure and this is something horrible pains giving. when i got this i was very confused what is going on and i could not believe that it was me who was biting my tongue so hard without me noticing it. and what is strange that it has happened without any specific reason, this shouldn't be this way! i'm stil having sore tongue but the day after that my tongue was extremely painful to move! it was painful to drink water or to swallow! well, the only thing i can help you is that i found out that paracetamol is helping a little bit fighting with pains and... that's pretty all, sorry. thank you all for everything you've said and posted!