Dental woes and antibiotics help

debra

hey everyone, please, I need some help. need to start by saying that my husband is owning the dentist a lot of money. I mean, A LOT, a bunch of money and that's an extremely big problem now for us. no, I'm not here for asking you to give me money, but I need your help for something else. we own him so much money (the dentist) because both of us are having abscessed teeth off and on and all the work (for both of us) is a lot of money. also, just not so long ago I have paid a lot of money in order to get a couple of extractions and I am currently using the last of my amoxicillin, because otherwise the pain that I am getting it is really unbearable and I can't deal with it anymore. I should say that normally I do not order such of a thing as I am normally just letting the doctor prescribe, however in this case now we do know that he is having an abcess and we do know very well that my husband is not able to afford to get it taken out at the moment or to get it fixed and that's why I want to help. I have done a little bit of the research on the Amox and I have no idea why, but I haven't seen it on any of the good reputable vendors - in fact, not even really want to order it due to the fact that it is just a waste of money… but I still have to say that I would order it if I knew for sure where it is coming from and that it was really amox and not some kind of a cheap stuff. so, most of his problem is that he is not going to take it more than only a few days in order to cure his "pain" and then he is right back at square one in a week. so, now, I just want you to give me some suggestions on this… is there anybody who has anything to recommend me and my husband taking in consideration that we're really running very low on money. I would appreciate any of your help, recommendations and advices. maybe some of you had anything like this and can help me with an advice? thanks in advance for everything! 

Auntudgeou

oh my… im so sorry for you, I do know what does it feels like and what's that… this is the reason why I would send you mine if this would be allowed to do. what about an urgent care?? they are generally cheaper than an ER. so sorry for you hope you'll be fine.

SkirST

Hi there OP, first off, your antibiotic is most likely going to help you and that's due to the fact that your abscessed teeth (and therefore also the source of the infection either) have been removed and that's very important. but your husband is surely not going to get the exact same benefit as well. and also not to mention the fact that his infection also may be resistant to amoxicilin in case he has ever taken it in the past without finishing the whole prescription. that's one huge mistake of doing so and if you've ever done it then I'm really sorry for you/ your husband (whoever done it).

to be honest, if I would be you then I would honestly be a little bit worried about the osteomyelitis and/ or cellulitis because these are the complications of infection that is spreading deeper into the gums. those ones under there are skull bones and I wouldn't play around with it as it can be really dangerous.

just in case there is some kind of a dental school within the reasonable proximity then he can get care of you and your husband for less money (maybe, at least sometimes, even free, I don’t know) but I personally would surely plead his case if I would be you. and also, another thing that you could try to do it is to call to see if there are any dentists in your local area assessing charges on a sliding scale. maybe this is going to help you and your husband to save some money. I really hope that at least any of the information here is going to be helpful for you. I wish you good luck and take care. 

Suffes

hello debra, I honestly do not know of anybody at all that is carrying this other than the IOPs and the problem is that by the time that you are getting it then I have some really big doubts that you are still going to need it because you're either going to be cured or dead since the antibiotics are the medications that should be administered immediately when needed and you can't wait for them to come. if you're interested I should say that you could use pretty much any broad spectrum antibiotic out there, however the amoxicillin, biaxin or the penn V K are, IMO, the best ones out there.

I also should mention that I just have received a Sandoz Version of the Augmentin from IN HOUSE Ph, however it has taken approximately 3 weeks. I should say that it was not really that expensive, however with the shipping, I really cannot imagine you would pay more at a Minute Clinic and to get yourself a prescription from an PA or NP. from as much as I know, they are usually charging some less than $ 80 and amoxicillin is just extremely cheap (esp when comparing to other medications). in fact, where I am living around here Publix is offering it for free - that's how cheap it is. maybe this is going to help you a little bit.

Anniand

yeah that's true and there's also Meijer who is offering it absolutely for free in all of its stores and I really hope very much that you are going to get the help that you need by the following any of those, IMO, are some great suggestions and recommendations. I know that it is definitely worth trying it out.

but yeah, you've got to look into all day chemist either IMO because you could try it or if you needed it sooner, amox for fish. hope this is going to be a little bit helpful to you.

Auntudgeou

oh well, I just thought about something that you could use for the dental pain that you have in the meantime and that it is really working very well, at least it is working much more better than anything else that I have ever tried and I can swear by it. at least, again, it worked so good personally for me, but I doubt that it won't work for you. I am talking about the Eugenol which is an amazing thing and it is coming in a little brown vial, if you're gonna search for it you'll see that you can find it at rite aid or at wal greens in just a little kit that it is called red cross toothache. I just tell you this because I personally had some troubles finding it. hope you won't and hope it would work the same as it worked for me (because, then again - it really worked very well for me).

and yeah, I need to warn you on the fact that it is tasting absolutely horrible and that you need to be even more careful about only applying it to the affected area due to the fact that it is numbing whatever it is touching - that's how strong and potent this stuff is, to be careful. but I doubt that the taste is what matters because I really doubt a lot that you or your husband would care about that taste when you and your husband are not going to be in pains anymore. that was the case for me. it had a horrible taste and I didn't wanted to use it anymore, but then when the pains went away I didn't cared anymore about it.

debra

"what about the urgent care?" question that Auntudgeou has asked… well… he is in so so much pain today that I am thinking that I need to go and convince him to go to the Urgent Care tonight because it can't go like that anymore and I am just really hoping with my crossed fingers that the doctor is going to treat it.

and yeah also SkirST thank you a lot, I really did not even think of a dental school and thank you extremely much for recommending because I do know for sure that there is one in the city either and to be honest, thinking about it a bit more I just think that it might be a really great idea! thank you extremely much for recommending it! I appreciate it a lot, maybe this is going to be for some good.

also, I was even trying to research if a pet feed/ supply - farm feed would sell something for the animals that it is safe for human consumption, however when I have told him to research that he is found fish food and I am all like… I really do not think this way so.. dingy dongy, :D lol.

but anyway, Anniand reading your post made me think… well… he was not really lying then? there is a fish food he can buy? :D LOL! that really seems so extreme we are having great health insurance, extremely terrible dental insurance and as I have already mentioned this in my first post, we have got really really screwed up on a health bill as we're now need to give back lots of money. I should mention the fact that I have cleaned out our savings suing the insurance over it and the lawyer has signed a settlement and it is not answering to the state bar now either and so, that case has gotten all screwed up, however basically it is putting us in a really really huge financial bind and it has made the dental bills we have to pile up this last year as we are all paying the stupid bill that we do not owe and as you can understand… all that we've done with that slick lawyer it is to lose out savings and we're now left with absolutely nothing than a bunch of owes. it is just a real mess is what it is that we find it very hard to deal with.

and yeah… honestly, I do realize that maybe this sounds like this is something that I just made up, I guess I wouldn't believe it either, however I've went through it and now know. before all of this I didn't even though that I would be we're I am now. however I can swear to God that I am all honest and that this is all true on the fact that this is just out situation now! unfortunately… as much as I wouldn't want this to be true. hope we're gonna get at least some help.

Julieta

hello debra, you've got to know that there is a product that is being called "fish mox" (amoxicilin) and I think that you need to search for it because it might be helpful and be sure that it is safe for humans. I do remember that there was somebody who has mentioned that thing either here on this forum or maybe somewhere else (not sure because I am a member of multiple forums and I can't really remember well). such people as you with big financial issues discovered it because it has been only a fraction or so of the cost of the amox for the humans. you could google it yourself a read, plus you're going to see how safe it is for humans, where you get it and how little is the price for it. hope you're going to get some help, good luck! 

Anniand

hey debra, be sure that Julieta is right… yes indeed you could search for it on google and you're going to see how helpful it actually is. and the best thing is that you also might even be able to find it on the ebay and buy it from there. I remember that I have been purchasing it there as well as on Amazon as well, but this has been years ago and I am not very sure if you still can find them there and how much their prices has changed. you've just got to make sure that it is just marked USP which means US Pharmaceutical grade and so after this - you should not have any problems at all. or at least that's what I wish for you and hope you're gonna be alright! best wishes.

Toliman

hi, another option (cheap thing) that might be helpful for your situation it is to routinely rinse and swishing between your teeth with some hydrogen peroxide, just make sure not to swallow it because it is not healthy but it would be helpful. and also, unfortunately do not expect to help with the pain because it won't, however it is still going to be helpful because it is going to kill some of the bacteria that it is the source of the infection and therefore to the pain itself. it doesn't directly help with the pain, but it should address the source of your pain and therefore should help with your entire problem. and again, as I said, it is very cheap and affordable to you and your situation.

also, do you have any friends with pets who have some leftover antibiotics? it might sound strange if you use animal's antibiotics but in the end, don't you think that they are the same antibiotics? trust me they are going to do the trick. if somebody pops into your mind talk with them and ask for those antibiotics. again, should be helpful, again, it is cheap, again it doesn't address the pain itself but it addresses the source of the pain.

as for the pain itself (because I do understand that it can be really hard to deal with it) try excedrine migraine, this thing should alleviate some of your discomfort and pain for the moment until you kill the infection/ bacteria. hoping this is going to be helpful to you.

Bannerman

hey there debra, you've got to know that in fact, there is a bunch of pharmaceutical grade (aquarium) antibiotics that are available out there. in case you are being allergic to absolutely any of the ***cillians out there (I do know there are some people who are) then there are some ***myacin type of antibiotics that are available to you either (I am not very sure, but I can guess that KFLEX is one of them). I know that there is a link that it is listing them all out and I obviously suggest you to take a look at that link, just go on the healthy pets site and search for Thomas Labs Fish products, there's an list of that stuff that I am talking about which I hope would be helpful to both you and your husband and as you asked - they are cheap.

moreover, I really do not think that this is the cheapest place that you can order from that is why I recco shopping around. another thing I can tell you is that I did have seen this stuff on some of the shelves of some several doomsday preppers TV shows when they are touring the underground bunkers people build, so I think that you've got to search into it yourself either. it is true what has been said up there about the fish mox on the fact that it does work and that it is definitely safe for humans. at least it seems that I am a human myself (LOL) and I did have used this fish mox once (it has been quite some years ago, 3-4 years ago I guess) during the time that I have had a mild bronchitis and I can tell you that it didn't even not killed me only, but it also has worked fine for my bronchitis curing it. in fact, I can tell you that I am keeping some of that stuff around to have handy just in case something would happen and I would need it. in fact, I remember that when I've cured my bronchitis with it - I've got some left and I have thrown that leftover away that time (the rest that I have not used), however then I have ordered it back again (another bottle) when I realized that it might be a good idea to keep it around just in case. actually, I have went to the doctor the last week or so and that's even though I still had my doomsday supply of the fish mox around due to the fact that what I thought that I had (and in the end it turned out that it is true what I thought) a real bad case of sinus and inner ear infection. there I have got some augmentin prescribed which I could feel that is a lot much more stronger, it definitely is. but the price is also ""stronger"" LOL so you have to chose yourself.

I should say here that I neither endorse or am against those people who are using it or keeping some of it around. if you are intending/ planning on using absolutely any of them then you should try to find out and know what (just in case there are any) antibiotics that you are being allergic to them, what you are taking those antibiotics for as well as how much of that antibiotic it is advisable to take (because you can't simply take however much you want to and especially thinking that the more you take - the more helpful it is, because that's definitely not the case). in fact, I can tell you that I just think that the only thing that you can do to make it cheaper then it is to save doctor costs and hassles. gotta say that those basic antibiotics like those (such as amoxicilin, KFLEX) are usually either anywhere between $5 and $15 at the walmart if you are having a script for them. and the shipping times if you are thinking about ordering them only from the internet vet stores that are selling those items it is approximately one week (doubt that it would be less than a week, but it surely can be that it is going to be more than a week) and that's unless you are paying a lot out of your pocket for getting express FEDEX USPS etc. so this is just another factor in case you do need it right now. I would say that the internet is an option for you when you don't need the antibiotic right now but you need to have it around just in case.

and yeah, one last thing is that unfortunately I am having absolutely no clue of what kind of antibiotics are usually given (RX'd) for the dental issues as I have never had any dental issues so I never got any of them. maybe there are antibiotics that are best for something (for instance bronchitis) and other antibiotics that are best for other stuff (like dental issues) I am not sure and I can't say anything on this. either this helps or not am not sure, but I hope so.

ErinSweet

on the last part that Bannerman wrote in his post  regarding the best antibiotic for dental issue:

and yeah, one last thing is that unfortunately I am having absolutely no clue of what kind of antibiotics are usually given (RX'd) for the dental issues as I have never had any dental issues so I never got any of them. maybe there are antibiotics that are best for something (for instance bronchitis) and other antibiotics that are best for other stuff (like dental issues) I am not sure and I can't say anything on this. either this helps or not am not sure, but I hope so.
</p><p> </p><p>I can say that it is penicilin and /or erythromycin. I know that either one of these 2 are the best for dental issues (and you are right that there is the best antibiotic for some kind of bacteria and other antibiotic for other kind of bacteria). I do know that soon I am going to need some of it as well due to the fact that my teeth now are wearing down, but luckily I have no pain now, I just know that I'm going to have pains later if I leave it like that. I am thinking now about starting a thread about dentures, as to what kind for what, affordability and so on and so forth hoping that this might be helpful. I would see. also I should say that I am having no insurance now, unfortunately, however I am having the care credit (GE Capital) card and I am thinking that this is going to be helpful for me. the implants are really a good idea, however they are definitely way too pricey for me and that's why I am not even thinking about it right now. </p>

cupidisdead

I do agree with the fact that penicilin might be the best antibiotic for dental issues. or at least, when  I have bronchitis or anything like that I am being prescribed another antibiotic but penicilin has been the antibiotic that has always been prescribed to me for any dental issues and that is why I think that this is for some reasons and most likely the reason is that the penicilin is the best for dental problems. but yeah, I have also seen it being listed on the IOP sites, as well as the amoxicilin is. I just want to warn you on the fact that you need to make sure that he has ever taken it in the past and that he is not being allergic to it because that's, be sure, no fun at all! In fact, I can even remember a few years ago I was talking about this with my dentist and he has been the one who told me that he (a dentist) is preferring penicillin over any other antibiotic out there, again, I think that this is for some reasons (and yes, he is also a good dentist, who has been practicing for a really long time now).

Suffes

well, I'm sorry but it seems that I have missed one very important line that SkirT has written and which I think that more attention should be paid to this line.

*and also not to mention the fact that his infection also may be resistant to amoxicilin in case he has ever taken it in the past without finishing the whole prescription. that's one huge mistake of doing so and if you've ever done it then I'm really sorry for you/ your husband (whoever done it).*

this is just so so so important to remember! everybody should know and everybody should keep this in their minds! Never, and I mean, absolutely NEVER EVER discontinue an antibiotic until it is going to be completely finished with it, doing that it is not a mistake, it's an extremely big mistake! I need to tell you that the absolute ONLY exception when you can do it is if your physician has told you to do so and that's because if they tell you to do so then that's for some reasons like for example because they have switched to another antibiotic or maybe they were treating an problem prophylactically so you can discontinue taking it. but that is only if your doctor decides to do so! just remember it as it is very important! trust me it is!

you've got to know that discontinuing the antibiotics too soon that they should be and the overuse of the antibiotics are, in general, 2 of the most common as well as the biggest contributors to the antibiotic resistance. antibiotic resistance should be avoided whatever the case!

Coord2025

I do not have any dental problems and fortunately I have never had any and that's why I can't say anything from experience, what I can say is that there's a friend of mine who had dental issues quite a few times and each time she has been given penicilin. either that's enough or not but I think that penicilin might be the best for dental problems so I suggest you (as I've seen, other people think the same) to try penicilin. it should be doing a good job with your dental problem (and your husband's). unfortunately I don't know how cheap/ expensive it is...

debra

hi Suffes, yeah, I do know I have yelled and I yelled at him about this and it seems that we had an endless fight on this one. it has started to get so annoying. in fact, I should tell you that he is really awful with meds it took him getting A fib a second time in order to take his blood pressure medicine in serious or he would skip it on the weekends… we've discussed about it like a million of times and he never listens to me. I always thought that there should be a third party to explain him everything and make him understand because seemingly he doesn't listen to me…

anyway, a million thank to each one of you, thanks a lot for everything and for this really helpful information that you shared, I do appreciate it very much. I've noticed there's a hand of people saying something about Penicilin as it is the best medication, I have to say that we both are getting this Penicillin as well as Amoxicillin, this is mostly depending on the dentist who gives it to us and it seems like for our teeth in the past so I am pretty damn sure that he is to that stage where he is in a really big need of it, however he has had to go on one antibiotic with some really strong pain killers ('cuz his pains were really that big and that awful) approximately in September or so and for the exact same tooth again and this is why he just really needs to either get it out extracted or at least to get it fixed normally - but only except for the thing that now he is owing $500 at the moment for all of those visits that he has had with the infection and so I think that he just need to accept the fact that the extraction it is much better for his health when talking about long term stuff. I've gotta say that I do love the man, but he is a man! and I also wanted to say that I am really thankful to Bannerman individually for everything and for so much and amazing information he shared. I realize that writing a big post requires your time and this means that you spend a lot of your time trying to help me. this is why I am so thankful to you. but also to everybody else either.

also just wanted to add something more on the ErinSweet's part on the care credit. I do know what you are talking about and I can tell you that they did gave me all the paperwork for that care credit you are talking about, however with this current hospital bill that we have got slapped with… I am quite sure now that my credit is not going to get it atm and this is why I am not sure if that's going to be a solution for me. and yeah, I am also in the same boat either as I have a partial either, however I just keep on losing more and more teeth and that's the problem for me right now. I can tell you that my dentist and I have had one time a nice, long and honest chat about my dental situation and he explained everything and in the end we have both agreed on the fact that I am to the point full dentures are going to be my best option… however… oh my… these things are too damn expensive… I've taken a look at them and they are really very expensive that I am sure I can't pay for right now. I think that your dentist really should do some test looks at your mouth though, I think that it might be really worth it. when I've had mine and when we were discussing, he has explained to me that my bone on jaw I might have to get 2 implants, however getting a full mouth of implants it is just super mega extreme, VERY extreme… and he also has told me that in the ideal situation if you want the dentures to look good and to look generally the most like real teeth then I (and you too, of course) need to spend a lot of money for them, because a good quality thing requires a lot of money. and I do believe him and I do know that he's telling the truth (not trying to rip me off). firstly because I know what kind of person he is but most importantly it is because I have prove of that. my doctor has said that you corner them with about 2 implants each on the top and on the bottom. and the prove to the thing that a cheap thing is cheap and if you want something good you need to pay is that my father in law has got himself some cheap dentures and they really look amazingly wrong… they really look awful and he does know it. everyone knows… I mean… you could tell that those babies were false from a mile away. you surely do not need to be a dentist to see that they are false and to see that they are never fitting right. that's what he has got from paying cheap. I surely do not want the same. and that's what my dentist told me either. I do believe him

cupidisdead

oh yeah, I totally do agree with you MissKate. and you are right that the prices are just too extravagant. without the insurance, in order to get just one tooth fixed it can cost you very easily around $1000 or so. that's definitely not the money everybody has and especially to fix a tooth. and in fact, I would say that not much less even with the insurance included. (figuring in a root canal and crown) implants, oh well, just forget it, we cannot afford them anyway so…

I did have seen some really nice upper and lower dentures on the people that cost approximately $ 1000.00. I do know that these were some straight out of pocket expenses for 2 people that I do know personally and who told me about this (and yeah, no medicaid and so on and so forth). and yeah, it is obvious that you also need to add the extractions as well to the fee either, however there are sometimes, when for some people, it is simply just the best decision and a decision that you need to take. and yeah… I would also be really interested in a thread about this. and yeah, looking forward to see other people's experiences and maybe some updates to those who have already posted here their experiences. thank you very much in advance for everything.

MissKate

so well, hi all. I have to confess that I have been hesitant about starting this thread due to the fact that I guess we all can see that it is such a taboo subject. but anyway, I still decided to make it as you can see. but what I am trying to say is that it really seems to be just fine for men in general and that's especially since we can see that there is an entire section on men's hair loss and generally I think that you can find information on this much easier and a lot much more. plus products for men seem to be easier to find. I've been shocked to see that here I've found one thread about women, but I still noticed that there aren't much responses. again, not compared to men's section. that is why I am now writing this and I am hoping that you guys are going to be actively involved in this subject and each one of us would write something about it, our experiences, knowledge, information and so on and so forth.

so, obviously I am going to be the first one to start my story so… a few years ago I have firstly noticed too much hair that was coming out in the drain. I am having just a thin hair, however I have started out with a lot of it. besides, it is also frizzing and that is why it is not really looking that bad (or at very least, that is what I am telling to myself). but the thing is that it just seems to keep on coming out without stopping and it is now just about as fine as it is a baby's hair: a ponytail it is about a quarter of an inch in thickness. and then I have been trying on something in the store the other day and I have got really depressed about it due to the fact that I could see the thinning in the back along the part. my other hair is mostly covering it all, however, I am still in my mid fifties so… this should be taken in consideration too, of course, I do know it very well but… shouldn't this actually happen when I am going to be like 75 years old?? to be honest, I am now wondering what other women are doing about it, what do you do in order to keep your hair healthy? and yeah, don't think that I haven't read anything about this online before posting this. I do know that there is rogain for women as well as loreal is making a treatment. plus, I have also found that there is ulta that it is selling a product in order to make hair fuller as well. the reason why I wanted to post this is to ask what is your opinion and even more importantly your experience with any of those products (if there's anybody of you who has some). I would really like to know if you had any success with it and if any of you tried any of them - please post everything in little details.

generally, why I ask it and I am not trying it myself is that I do know that these are some really heavy duty chemicals with some really scary side effects and all of those treatments are really expensive as well… and especially if they are not working. so in the end this means that I am just spending a lot of money for getting 0 results and only suffering from side effects. as you can understand this is not the scenario I want to be in. so I just thought that maybe there are some other women here that are braver than I am and already tried them? is there anyone of you who has any solutions at all? do we just need to cope with it and that's it? I mean, that's just doesn't seem to be right. are wigs the only answer in your opinion? after all, we're in 2017 and medicine has gotten far, maybe there's something for this too. I am having no idea what I can do but what I do know for sure is that I hate a lot getting older… ooooh… where are my ages?