Drinking alcohol after taking Zithromax

halseara

Hey there all. I would really lie to get a bit of your help if that’s possible. I have been diagnosed with chlamydia by my doctor not so long ago and I have been given 2 tablets of Zithromax (antibiotic) and been said to take it with a meal. He has told me that I should wait no less than a week in order to have any sexual relations because of this. however, the thing is that he has not mentioned anything about drinking alcohol. What I am trying to say is that he did mentioned what I should not do, he did warned me, however he hasn’t told me a word about alcohol. So well the day that I have taken the Zithromax I have had 1 beer which, to be honest, I do not think that would have very much effect, however this next Saturday night that’s coming (1 week after I have used the Zithromax) I am planning on drinking a lot because we’re having a great party planning. So well, I am not sure if this is going to prevent or to stop the drug from working and doing its job or it is not and the drug would work as it should. Any insight regarding this problem would be very much appreciated. Thank you very and very much for all your help.

MBernic

Hi halseara. You should know that Zithromax and alcohol is generally not a very good idea at all and it could pose some risks if you do combine them. the reason for what I have said it is that Zithromax it is being metabolized in the liver exactly as the alcohol is. In addition to that, you should not take Maalox or any of the other magnesium based products/ antacids while you are using Zithromax as well because it could lessen the effects of the antibiotics. Hope you’ll be alright.

Whetter50

I am not an expert but from as much as I heard, combination of any antibiotics and any alcohol is not a good idea at all because it would either stop the drug from working or you’re going to develop side effects. or at least this is what I have heard… but anyway I really do not think that it is a good combination. I personally wouldn’t do it.

UseyIII

Hi. I am going to say something that you might not like, but something that you surely should know. first off, I can tell you that humans are already going beyond the borders in order to get at least some relief of their pains. And from time to time this means that they are doing drugs and they are consuming alcohol and liquor. However, unfortunately this relief is only very short in time and when the physical pain is being relieved then the emotional pain can be truly taxing. Dealing with the chronic pain by using any illicit drugs and to drink alcohol is definitely, I tell you from the start, a losing battle. By doing so it is only temporary (as I said, for a short period of time) going to “fix” your problem and you’ll feel a bit better for that short period of time, however this is going to damage several other areas and you might regret it later. and this is in addition to the deleterious effects of the alcohol and those drugs like for example Heroin and Cocaine on your overall health, on the organs such as brain and the heart. Besides, there are some evidence showing that these also interfere with pain medications and thus they are completing things with your physician as well. remember that you have signed in a pain agreement which is stating that you are not going to use any of illicit substance and/ or alcohol as well. this is very important.

So well, the negative effects of addiction are long lasting, compared to the “relief” that you are going to get for a short time, in case the patient is going to over live that. keep in mind that addiction it is defined as a pathological, almost obsessive compulsive disorder, where you do know that those substances can cause you some harm and nevertheless, you still think about continuing to use them, and you do continue to use them even though the presence of an adequate pain relief and analgesia. Addiction it is not as common as we could think about it. if a patient is using more medications does it surely does not make that patient an addicted. Increased usage of pain meds due to the fact the patient is having now increased physical activity, or there is recurrence of the disease that is causing worsening of the pain, may justify the increasing pain medications.

You and everybody else thinking about it should know and keep very well in their minds: in order to deal with the pain, street drugs are never a good option so for your own well being you should not even think about it. the patient is going to develop tolerance to the drug sooner or later, and sooner or later the patient is going to need more and more drugs, higher dosage and so on in order to achieve the exact same initial effect of relief that he/ she used to get initially. So well, there also has been some very significant debates about the medicinal use for marijuana for the pain relief in patients and in chronic illness, like for example in cancer and with chemotherapy as well. That controversy that it is currently ongoing as well goes on and I think that it would go on many years. but for now, it is not legal to use it and even so… people do use it.

Anyway, for answering “better” your question. Some of the negative effects of the drugs and alcohol, other than the health issues as well as financial ruin, confusion, fatigue, emotional flatness, partial or complete loss of interest in the usual hobbies or people that were important prior, interference with sleep, memory issues as well as increased anger or/ and irritability. Besides, chances of auto accidents, suicide and homicide are also getting higher too.

So well, here are some points below on how you can resolve drug/ alcohol abuse that I hope you would find them helpful.

1) In case you are suspecting either drug or alcohol abuse then you should get help as soon as it is possible. You’ve got to consult your physician or a psychologist as soon as you suspect any of those. You also might consider AA. There are a lot of people saying that AAs has been very helpful for them.

2) You’ve got to avoid any encouragement of the use of medications for pain relief or for any other effects like for example for sleep, for simple relaxation or sedation. It might be hard initially, then it would be better. avoid it.

3) You need to start learning about detox. It is very important. detoxification is an integral part of the treatment and the sooner you would start with it the better would be for you. the easier, the quicker. And so on. Ask for help on how to detox. Learn, study. Go to a doctor getting some help.

4) you’ve got to try to invest your time in some constructive things rather than to any destructive habits like doing drugs, drinking alcohol and many others. Especially combining them.

5) you’ve got to avoid the use of the “prn medications” as much as you can and use medications that are long acting only. Once again, you are going to get help from your physician with this. it can be done with his help.

6) you’ve got to learn coping skill as well as relaxation techniques. Natural techniques. Yoga. Or whatever else that naturally helps you to relax, sleep and so on.

7) and lately… you’ve got to improve your spirituality and to fill the blanks in your personality and generally in your life. this would make you avoid doing bad habits.

maglione

I do agree with others. It would be a very good idea never to mix antibiotics with alcohol because you could get a number of some side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, an increased heart rate and many others as well. Or the effects of the antibiotic simply might stop and what’s the point in you taking it? when you are using antibiotics you really need to use them for the entire course that has been prescribed to you by your doctor with no alcohol or to mix with other drugs if it’s not allowed, otherwise they might not work as I said, or they might give you some unwanted side effects.

The antibiotics are killing the bad bacteria that it is causing infection, however they are also killing the good bacteria too that it is helping your immune system therefore your system is weakened. As much as you can imagine, drinking when your immune system is already down it is not a very good idea for you and your body. I don’t understand why it so important to drink alcohol when it comes to your life and your own well being.

Sienna

Again… I think that it is purely amazing how many times I have seen this question being asked on different forums, that’s unbelievable how many people want to drink alcohol while on the antibiotics even though we all know that this is a very bad idea. I really don’t think why they still ask it. they know it but still. I honestly do not know anybody who could think that this might, in fact, be a good idea, or nothing at all. keep in your mind that alk + booze is a very bad idea.

ExEctim

In case you are drinking that that point that you have dehydrated yourself and you have thinned out your blood very much then yeah… it is very counter productive weakening yourself that much.

If you’re going to have 1 or 2 drink then dizzy and headache maybe, or maybe nothing unusual at all. I remember that I have also done this before and I have only got a quicker headache than I’ve usually been getting. Even though I have not done  any real damage, I still wished that I didn’t do that. I just remember that I was already been feeling a bit better, but I remember that I have not finished my cycle yet as I was still taking them. but it is obvious that in case you are overly sensitive to alcohol or to azithromycin (antibiotics) or even to both of them, the it could lead to some more problems than a simple headache so this is why it wouldn’t be a good idea to try it out. I wish you all good luck!

Shomblue

Guys don’t ever mix alcohol with any pills at all. NEVER mix them. alcohol and pills are very dangerous taken together. It is no wonder why all the pills are having written on their bottles that alcohol is mandatory to be avoided when taking them. there has been a friend of mine who died because he has done that. besides, remember the famous actor Heath Ledger, if my memory serves me right, he has died because he has been having pills in his system and he drank alcohol. Please don’t do it if you want to be safe.

Calvillo

I have some Zithromax at home and I just have went and read the paper work that it is coming with the pills, does it say not to mix with the booze? Well, they do not and this is important. it is true that there are medications that never should be mixed with booze because it might be fatal, however there are also other medications (because not all medications are the same) with some little to no effects at all, however you’ve got to keep in mind that the warnings that are being written on the packages or told to you by the pharmacist or a doctor then they are there for a reason. I do agree that alcohol should not be used with medications that do not allow this. but if there are medications that have no interactions with the alcohol then why it would pose a risk?

Lowdethe

There’s a doctor who has had a monologue about taking antibiotics and alcohol together, I would post it below, hope it is fine to do so?

Can I drink alcohol while I take Zithromax” it is one of the most common question, it is most among most frequently asked questions that I am getting. There are a lot of people asking me whether it is fine to drink alcohol while I am on antibiotics. Honestly, I am not truly so sure as to why there are so many people out there who are really so concerned about the fact whether it is fine for them to drink alcohol in the time they are using most antibiotics, but I have noticed that there is a persistent concern among the general public that this is a very big problem. so well, a very short answer it is that the risks of drinking alcohol in the time that you are taking Zithromax, as with most of the other antibiotics, is pretty minimal posing little to no risks. With the Zithromax antibiotic itself, the primary concern it is that exactly like the other macrolide antibiotics Zithromax could cause you an upset stomach, vomiting as well as dizziness. As we all know it, the exact same issues are being very common in effects of alcohol and so well the additive effect of using the combination of Zithromax and with alcohol may be increased. I call it: there is little major concern! The effectiveness of the antibiotic is NOT diminished or affected and generally there is not even any major consequences in most of the patients that use this combination and this is why I can tell you that the overall combination of the antibiotic Zithromax and alcohol it is most often not a very big concern at all. But even so, you should not drink a lot of alcohol while you’re on the antibiotic like for example to get really very drunk in the time that you are taking Zithromax due to the fact that it would be much better for the patient to get the rest and to take some really good care of yourself in order to give your body those things that it truly needs in order to get well again.

As I conclusion I can tell you that in overall, a chicken noodle soup is most likely going to be a much better thing for you to take with your Zithromax than taking it with alcohol, however you are probably going to get well either way.

luku

So well, unfortunately I am not having any experience here with Zithromax and with alcohol, however after a recent very nasty bout with a GI infection that I have had, I was put on Flaygl and Cipro. However, unlike the OP, I have been warned by the pharmacy to get near the alcohol so I should listen to them, I think, and I will especially since what happened. They have explained that the reason for that has been severe nausea and vomiting. So well, initially I was also been thinking that their warning is nothing so I have had  only half a beer and about 15 minutes or so later I have been looking for a bucket. It has been really that bad. I imagine what might happen with me if I would “plan drinking a lot”. not sure if this makes a difference or not (though I think that it does) I have been on a high dose of medicine as well.

Hass991

“Guys don’t ever mix alcohol with any pills at all. NEVER mix them. alcohol and pills are very dangerous taken together. It is no wonder why all the pills are having written on their bottles that alcohol is mandatory to be avoided when taking them. there has been a friend of mine who died because he has done that. besides, remember the famous actor Heath Ledger, if my memory serves me right, he has died because he has been having pills in his system and he drank alcohol. Please don’t do it if you want to be safe. “

Oh wow Shomblue, I’m very sorry for your friend. It does seem as though alcohol is being used to potentiate the effects of some other drugs, among recreational users of course. Trust me, I am really very sorry to hear that your friend has been one of those people as well, however there are also other people who are totally oblivious about mixing those 2 and unfortunately they are not always warned beforehand so accidents does happen. That’s very sad about your friend. This is why nobody should play around with pills. I think that not even with the OTC ones.

Subsed

So well, as much as I know Zithromax (azithromycin) is, in fact, a very light antibiotic and so for most of the people out there it should be absolutely no problem in mixing it with alcohol, unless you are sensible to either one of them. like for example, in case you are having a liver or a kidney problem then you should never mix anything with alcohol at all. in fact, having such an problem you should not drink alcohol at all… I also have taken Zithromax and I have done it, I mean I did drank alcohol and I have been assured by my doctor that I would have no problems at all and he was right, I did not had any problems.

Hass991

“So well, unfortunately I am not having any experience here with Zithromax and with alcohol, however after a recent very nasty bout with a GI infection that I have had, I was put on Flaygl and Cipro. However, unlike the OP, I have been warned by the pharmacy to get near the alcohol so I should listen to them, I think, and I will especially since what happened. They have explained that the reason for that has been severe nausea and vomiting. So well, initially I was also been thinking that their warning is nothing so I have had  only half a beer and about 15 minutes or so later I have been looking for a bucket. It has been really that bad. I imagine what might happen with me if I would “plan drinking a lot”. not sure if this makes a difference or not (though I think that it does) I have been on a high dose of medicine as well. “

So well, you should know that it is that Flagyl (metronidazole) that it is making you to feel sicker than a dog from one single drink. I do know it. I am not very sure about the process that it is making it this way, however it could have something to do with the fact that Flagyl goes beyond simply anti microbial because it is also killing off a lot of parasitic GI infections. In short, is acts a little bit different than other antibiotics since it affects a little bit other things.

vicent999

I don’t know why there are so many controversial discussions about this. some say that it won’t affect the antibiotic. Some say that it would affect it. some say that you can drink but not a lot. and so on and so forth. Whatever the case, as you can see even from the doctor’s words: even though the alcohol should not affect the antibiotic – it would  be better to have a soup rather than alcohol. In the end, we get the same answer: better avoid alcohol. I honestly don’t think that alcohol is so important, at least definitely not more important than how antibiotic and your health is.