Fractured tibia..

IRoBI

I’m a male, 23 years old. Not so long ago during a football match I just fractured my tibia on my right leg and I just don’t know what to do now. The thing is that my doctor said to me that approximately at least 2 months I have to stay home and I don’t have to force my leg. That’s a little complicated for me, first of all because I have to work and my work implies to move during the whole day and the second thing is that I just love sports and I can’t live without my gym and my football time. At the moment I am on crutches and I have to elevate my leg as much as I can, I’m trying but it’s difficult. I’m just happy that I don’t require a surgery, how my doctor explained that in fact my fracture was called a perfect break if you have ever heard about such a thing. I know that my doctor said to wait approximately 2 months but I would like to know if there is possible to feel some changes earlier, I mean maybe there’s something I can do in order to fasten the healing progress. I just want to start my active life again, that’s quite difficult for me to stay at home during the whole day and to watch TV, that’s just not me. I still can’t believe that one tibia can change your entire life and even though I do understand that this is not such a big problem and that there can happen a lot of worse things, this is something that’s ruining my life. Waiting for your answer.

Warmaded

hey man, I’m very sorry that this happened to you but unfortunately there is nothing that you can change, the only thing to do now is to wait. Broken tibia usually take a little time, as much as I remember a broken tibia requires at least 10 weeks to see the difference and to feel it, but generally for a full and good recovery you need 13 weeks at least, because unfortunately, sometimes it takes even more. I’m very sorry to say this but another negative thing that I unfortunately need to add is that these weeks are not considered with the recovery time.  13 weeks are perfect for your broken bone to heal, but the recovery time could take the same time. It mostly depends from a person to another and his own condition. As I understood your doctor said that you have to wait 2 months.. I’ll try to explain.. during this time your bone is healing and you don’t feel the pain anymore but if you intend to start to do your exercises, to go to gym or to practice any type of sport it can damage your tibia again much more easier than how you are damaging it during its normal condition, and in that case you have to pass again through this process all from the beginning which as I understand, you definitely don’t want it. The formation of the so called true bone take around 7 or 8 weeks in dependence of how healthy are your bones, the another weeks from the 8 till the 13 week is the period of the bone fixation, the bone start to accommodate to its place, during this period you start to feel no pain. After 13 weeks, after the bone formation you start to move your leg to rotate it in order to accustom your tibia to work and movements. That’s why it’s very bad to use your leg immediately after 13 weeks. If you force your leg too much it start to devolve over the accustom process and it become very difficult to understand its role. That’s why you need to start your regeneration process and you have to remember about the total recovery time. Talk about this with your doctor, I’m sure that he can explain it much better than I do, be sure that he will say the same thing. I’m worried that you would have to wait just 13 weeks without introducing the total recovery time… that’s not good! Think about this, do you want to wait a little bit but to recover totally, or you want to risk and to have some very bad consequences? Good luck!

IRoBI

Thank you very much for your answer, that’s very important for me now. Actually I’m very disappointed about this thing, and you’re right to be worried that I am going to wait just 13 weeks. Just thinking about 13 weeks.. it’s too damn much for me but waiting to pass the total recovery it will be too much for me. Anyway I think that I am going to talk with my doctor about this and I would decide what to do next. Thanks a lot for your answer anyway.

SamuelStumpyoyo

I think that it depends on the fact of what type of fracture and obviously depends on your bones. There are people that have very strong and they are quickly regenerating bones and there are people that can have just a very inconsiderable fracture but to feel pain to over 1, 2 years. So, the most important is to understand that you have to do what your doctor said to do and don’t jump into a pool without knowing if there is water or not… Better to wait to feel completely good and to be totally recovered! Hope you would be fine.

Warmaded

I’m very disappointed about your considerations, I’m glad that you decided to talk with your doctor but I’m disappointed that you don’t have enough endurance to pass over this thought and to wait till you are going to get your full recovery… Please think about this for your own good … and please remember that this is very important! If you are so impatient then you can go to gym and exercising only the upper body which doesn’t require your legs. I think this can be a good start…