HIV test Elisa question

golaway

I do know that after a possible sexual contact you can get your symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes, fever, night sweats etc. in about a month or a month and a half. I also know that these symptoms appear when a person's body is fighting with the HIV virus I do get these symptoms now, about 3 months later after that possible contact and I'm wondering whether a standard Elisa antibody test done would be almost surely positive or the chances are still low? I really hope that I'm getting them due to other things but just in case I'm now thinking to take that test. Do you think this is a good idea? What should I do?

MBernic

Hello golaway! I don't really know the answer to your question because I'm not a doctor and I'm not having any medical knowledge about it but I'm telling you what I know from what I have heard!

Well, I know that six months is conclusive and should be enough time for a doctor to find out whether you have HIV positive+ or not. The doctor catches 98% of the people in the first test that are positive+ in six months so it should work for you too. However, there are another 2% of people that take six months for the antibodies to show up that they are fighting HIV and it won't show a positive+ result even though it is.

Anyway, I recommend you to visit a doctor about this and I'm sure that he is going to be able to say much more things about this and he would help you in any questions. He should know anything about statistics, numbers and questions people have. Even about Elisa HIV test. Good luck with this and I really hope the results would be negative! Take care and be healthy!

Suffes

Well, you can call me an old fashioned but I don’t really know much about the newer or better say the newest tests. I do believe in what has worked for so long time and that’s it. And I mean that I do believe in the blood test, nothing rapid but good. Anyway, I’ve heard something about this and I know for sure that different doctors definitely say different things about this. Sincerely, I think it is no that anybody of us (or them) is wrong or right. I’ve heard that some of them say that 45 days is conclusive but in the same time others say other stuff. I don’t know what do believe. Some time ago I’ve read this info on a uk site. I don’t know how it was exactly written there but I’m gonna tell you what I’ve understood. They wrote that it is better to wait for no less than 3 months after you’ve had an risk for the last time before you can take the test. Moreover, they wrote that it is better to take the test again after half a year if it was negative the first time but you still have symptoms, just in case and to be sure. I don’t know if it’s a veridical information anyway… hope this helps.