I get sexual side effects from using finasteride

lendan000

Hello there everybody, so well, I have been on the generic proscar (tablets of 5 mg that were split into 4 parts) for approximately a month now or so. I have to say that it really has been working pretty well on my hair and I say so because all of my fall out has finally stopped now. however, the problem is that I have experienced and I still do experience sexual side effects which is annoying. From as much as I could search online about this drug (I tried to inform myself well), I can guess that this negative side effects is common with the use of this medication. so far, it does not seem to go away but I really hope that it is going to subside as soon as possible. No, I am not any kind of a total impotent, it is not a really very bad problem, however I just noticed that it is getting a little bit more harder for me to get my erection and to maintain it when I finally have one. and also, what I have noticed is that it is really postponing my ejaculation (which is also annoying) by the way, because of this I have been thinking that this medication really should be prescribed for men suffering from pre mature ejaculation. Of course, my lady likes that I last so much, LOL, but it is taking me like 20 or even 30 minutes now… while in the past it used to be take about 2 or 3 minutes, LOL. :D anyway, I would like to know if there is somebody else who have experienced this? I would really like to hear from personal experience what you think about finasteride. Also, do you think that it might have some long lasting negative effects? I mean, could I become an important because of it? or normally the side effect should subside with time? thanks for everything in advance!

NoOome

Oh well, in case you said that you were using it for some prostate issues then I would have asked if you have ever tried saw palmetto, this is what my doc has suggested me to take instead of this thing for exactly the same reasons that you have told above there.

So well, I am having 2 friends who has been taking it and yeah, exactly as you both of them are having the exact same complaints of the same side effects. for them it is just did not go away. In case this drug is being scripted by your doctor then i would really ask whether adding any of the ed medications would have been a bad drugs mixture for you or no. I know that with one of those friends, it was not that is why he does. But he has some big monthly prescription bills.

While the other friend I am talking about simply got fed up by all of it and he has stopped to take them at all. he is currently 35 years old. he agreed that it is better not to fight off with mother nature and in case he has been made this way then that’s how he needs to look, but since his hair is still a problem, he is now just shaving his head and he is going with that look, bald look. We call him “the rock” LOL, although he’s by far not so big as “the rock” but he’s bald as him.

So well, this is why I guess that it is coming down to what it is most important for you – would you want your girlfriend’s hands to run through your hair… or to get a grip.

lendan000

Lol, hahah, yeah I guess that you are right up there. How important it is my hair anyways. It is not so important I guess. it does not happen all the time, however I do notice this when I am with my gf and it is kind of annoying. It feels like there’s something that it is blocking me from getting a full hard rock erection and you know… this is not a good feeling. Men who went through this might understand what I am talking about. and yeah, once again, as I have already mentioned this, if you are having premature ejaculation issues then you should start taking this drug. I really strongly recommend this one for anybody who has such kind of issues. I’m pretty sure it would solve them for you. it surely does something in this department as well, plus your hair should be better. but if you’re already finding it hard to  achieve and / or to maintain your erection then you shouldn’t take this one under any circumstances. And yeah, I am not a doctor or anything like that, I am just saying what I have noticed and what I have got from personal experience.

My girlfriend is tripping out due to the fact that I am able to go for like 30 minutes straight or so. The only other medication that I am currently taking in this moment is tramadol, however I have never ever had any sexual side effects (or anything changed in this part) with tramadol before, that is why I do know that it is finasteride who is doing these problems. especially now after you have said that 2 other men taking it have the same complaints!

lendan000

So well guys, I have been searching all over the entire internet, I have been really trying to find some solid information about this topic here. as I said, I did tried to research something about it in the past, however now I tried much more and much “deeper”. Regardless of what I have said in the last comment, I do believe now that it is the tramadol as well. and sh@t.... That’s not good at all as there are most likely 2 drugs known to cause some sexual side effects issue in men and I am currently on both of them… that’s such a good combination… I have been reading about online about men (as well as women by the way) having low or no libido at all while they have been on tramadol. This drug combined with the finasteride (which as you understood, it is also known to lower the libido) so there is no wonder why I am not thinking about sex at all the last days. it is feeling literally like I am numb from the waist down. so well, I am here searching for some guidance and help guys, of course some other than to stop using the medications (you don’t say?). lately I did have decreased my tramadol dosage to only 250 mg per day and I have also decreased half of the recommended dose of the propencia (which is now only .05 mg). I really hope that by doing this it is going to help me to get back to normal. I really need it because as a man you are really starting to panic when the things are getting strange and inexplicable or bad or whatever down there. I guess every men went through it. I did not want to put this on you guys, seriously, but I have seen that there are some really good people who does know what they are talking about so I thought that I would get a piece of advice here in regard to both medications. I am thinking now that I may need to stop from using one of the drugs. Although this is not an essential thing, but I still would really like to keep my hair as long as it is possible, but since there are not so much drugs for doing that but there are lots of drugs as pain killers then I am now thinking that I might need to search for one, for another pain medication that does not cause ED. I would really not want to do it because tramadol does work for me but I am hoping that there would be other pain meds that would work the same. So far, thank you all for helpful responses.

Therchappog1441

Oh well, if I would be you then I guess that I would search into some other kind of medications for the situation you’re now in. I have read that there are some articles saying something about finasteride and to be honest they really did not sound to be that promising without guaranteeing anything so… I personally am taking all only natural supplements for my prostate in order to keep it in a good shape. I do not have any prostate issues at all now, however, I did have had a really bad prostate infection a bit more than one year ago and trust me.. you would never want to get one of those… that’s even worse than you can imagine. However what I have found that really worked has been a few natural supplements in there… they are being named the following: Beta Sitosterol, Pygeum and Saw Palmetto (I have seen that somebody else up there mentioned this so I agree, it is indeed a good supplements you would want to give a try, I also recommend) and also to add 15 mg of zinc in there as well as vitamin D3 taken on a daily basis. By doing this it has brought my prostate back in an amazing shape in less than 2 months which is amazing. you may think… but that’s slow. Well, I was not taking no chemicals or something. It was natural and it may have been slow, however it was healthy and every day I have been noticing improvements.

And yeah by the way, I have also been told by a nutritionist that those supplements are very good for stopping or at least reducing the hair loss which I do believe in so you would benefit either. and yeah, about your other medication, tramadol it is just another one as you may need to read that it is lowering the libido (or as you already have done), and I can even tell you that actually any kind of pain drug is going to have at least some kind of effect on the libido which is surely nothing that you would want to have. because they are pain medications they are working that way, they are all having that something that would affect libido. If it is important for you to take an pain medication (but since you do take them, I guess prescribed, then it should be) then you could try some medication that it is not that potent and to check whether it is going to help with the pain that you are having and if it does then maybe your ED issues would disappear either. I think that your libido is going to get a boost from that product I have mentioned above “Saw Palmetto” and Beta Sitosterol as well. you should search for them because as you can see, I am now the second person who recommends it – should be a good thing, don’t you think? at least mine did it all well.

Refes1989

Hi there OP. I guess that you should remember this: finasteride, regardless of the reason that you are intending to use it, it is very well known to be prone to cause sexual side effects and here we can include the reduced libido as well as delayed ejaculation etc. etc. even though tramadol might play an role here, I doubt that it was a very big one, what I am trying to say is that those side effects would have been very unlikely to be caused by the tramadol, most likely: finasteride. Reading the previous comments I have to say: they are right about the fact that there are a lot of ED drugs that, most likely, should have been helpful here for you in your situation. Besides, you might want to have your physician to check your testosterone levels as well as this might be the answer to your question and hence resolving your issues. If you have not checked your testosterone levels yet then I recommend to do so as soon as possible. Finasteride is known to work by blocking the DHT which is what it is causing both BPH and hair loss as well in men. However, there’s this unfortunate side effect that it carries which is that it is able to reduce the amount of the free testosterone in your system as well. so look, in case you are using it for hair loss and not for BPH (but as much as I see from your posts, the reason you take it is hair loss) then I really think that it would be an truly good idea to ask your physician about adding some testosterone to your regimen as well which is most likely going to fix your libido issue you have IN CASE your testosterone levels are indeed lower than normal for a man of your age. This is the reason why I have already recommended you to check your T levels. If they are below normal, your doctor should know what to do next. by the way, pay attention to your doctor’s age. Why? Look, there is a new T level ranges that has been put a few years ago, that is why, some doctors (usually, older ones) might take your T levels to be within the range while they are not, so check it carefully. You really should talk to your physician. If he (she) is aware of everything, then I can’t understand why he wasn’t the one who already suggested all of that. either way, I really hope very much that this is going to be helpful for you and I wish you good luck!

IRoBI

Yeah, I have also used finasteride and it is common for it to cause issues down there. it has actually given me some very unpleasant side effects down there. some pressure on the vas deferens, some tickling sensation that it has taken me good days until it went away, finally. It has been very unpleasant that is why I have had to shift to use just some caffeine shampoo. I one wouldn’t recommend to use it because the side effects are too unpleasant and too risky for that. I think that it is purely not worth it and that’s it.

MilyCC

"I guess that you should remember this: finasteride, regardless of the reason that you are intending to use it, it is very well known to be prone to cause sexual side effects and here we can include the reduced libido as well as delayed ejaculation etc. etc. “

Hi there. I wanted to ask whether is there some new information regarding this?? when I have been reading up about some finasteride study, I have seen that approximately 1.5 % or so of the finasteride group has experienced ED in the time the placebo group 1 %  has experienced ED. I mean, unless there is some new information about this then I am honestly a little bit skeptical of the drug causing ED claim…

Refes1989

"Hello MilyCC. The answer to this question is most likely depending on why and how you are using finasteride. And who is taking it as well. let me give you an example, in case you are using 1 mg PO for hair loss and you are under the age of 50 years old then I think that sexual side effects are pretty unlikely (even though there still would be some men experiencing it either). But, in case you are using 5 mg PO for the BPH and you are 50 years old of age or maybe even older then chances of getting some sexual side effects are obviously most likely (and more men here would have it, of course). In case you are asking me why then I can tell you. in the first place, as we all know, older men are naturally having lower T levels because of their age, that’s a natural occurrence, however this combined with the higher dose it could result in ED or at least in delayed ejaculation. If believing to Micromedex, then according to them we have that approximately 1.8 % to about 10.0 % are experiencing these side effects. in order to make a conclusion about it all, these side effects are very much related to the age and dosage (as well as whether you are taking other drugs or not).

Also, wanted to say thank you for bringing this into my attention as my first answer has been a bit broad and people might not understand me well.

Odell

So well, I have been on propecia for nearly 10 years now and then recently I have changed to the 5 mg of proscar due to the fact that it is cheaper. I have always had some of the side effects that you have mentioned earlier in your post so I do know what you are talking about. very well, for me it has basically been pretty easy to get started, maybe I did found it harder as usual but nothing that big of a problem, however it would have been taking forever for me to finish. There has been sometimes when it would get to that point where I would be sooooooo exhausted and frustrated by the fact that I simply CAN’T that I was just quitting and that’s it. however, for about 2 months now or so, when I have started to use subutex (besides, all of my other prescriptions I am having like… xanax, adderall and finasteride). Either way, I am currently having absolutely no sex drive, I mean AT ALL! this is why, I am not even sure what it is causing this! I don’t know, maybe it is the propecia, however that would still not explain that the last few months on subutex. The biggest concern now is that I have found absolutely nobody else who have ever mentioned any of those side effects that I am currently experiencing and that’s kinda worrying.

And yeah, I did have heard that there are a lot of guys who were going bald because of the sexual side effects that are related to the propencia.  But hey… let’s try to look at it positively.. at least you are actually having side effects. compared to the non existence of any sex at all. people are suffering from bigger problems than this, I think.