is my hair thinning because of diabetes?

hey people, I am suffering from diabetes and I have a problem that doesn’t seem to be related to my diabetes but I would like to know it for sure. So as you can see, could you please ask my question? Is there any links between my hair loss and hair thinning with the fact that my sugar is completely out of control? Or I may have another problem?

carey5000

I used to have a very healthy, thick and good looking hair but it started to fall out dramatically. The hair loss and hair thinning was getting worse and worse until I finally got diagnosed with diabetes. That is why I can say that this was one of my first symptoms of having diabetes (of course I had other symptoms as well). Doctors told me that diabetes is something related to hormone, therefore it can cause hair loss. However, you’re right that there might be other reasons why you can have hair loss – aging, some thyroid gland issues and many others. I would ask you to go and talk this with a doctor because he (or she) should know what’s triggering your problem and to stop it. what I’m trying to say is that you may fight with controlling your sugar levels while hair thinning and loss is caused by thyroid gland for instance. Go and tell your problem until you won’t have severe hair problems as I did, trust me, better to be safe. I am a lucky guy who found a good medication for my sickness and my hair is slowly recovering. I am having big hopes now but months ago my situation was awful. Hope this would help everybody who is having problems with their hair.

halseara

Well, I am a 24 years old female and I found out that I am diabetic type one about 3 months ago. As you, I have also noticed for a couple of weeks that my hair is thinning and that it is falling down in much more amounts than it usually does. As anybody here I also was scared what does it mean so I have done a lot of research about this and after a couple of weeks I found out that there is nothing to be concerned about so much. I have found out that this is a condition under the name of “telogen effluvium” and it is happening when a human body is going through some kind of hormonal or maybe metabolic related stress. For an example it can be when an undiagnosed diabetic is taking insulin or something like that. In such cases some of the hair is going to stop growing and a good amount of it would start thinning. Even though the hair would thin noticeable it would do it only to such a point that you are going to notice and then this stops. Usually (except the cases your body is still under stress), 2 months later your new hair should grow back and push up those dead hairs on your scalp. For all your hair to grow back it would take about half a year or so, it depends on the length of your hair. for me, as I have a long hair, it can take a little bit more time to reach the length of the rest of my hair. Anyway, it is very unlikely that you’re going to go bald :) I have heard that rogaine would help to speed up the regrowth process of the hair so I am going to start this therapy soon and I really hope that it would help. Maybe later I am going to post some news and let everybody else know if this helps or no. Anyway, here’s the point: Don’t worry and be happy. Live your life as usual because sooner or later everything is going to go back as it was and this situation is not that bad. I have done very much of research and trust me I have informed myself so I know what I am talking about. Moreover, I am studying biochemistry... If somebody wants to talk with me about this I would be glad to answer all your questions. Maybe I am able to help others as well. Wish you all a nice day and good luck, everything’s gonna be alright :)

bios1290

Well, I have been diagnosed with diabetes type 1 a little bit more than a year ago. this problem of mine haven’t appeared because of a family trait or something like that (I know that there are a lot of people who has this problem because of this, regardless how much they try not to get it – they are still getting it), but my problem begun due to a medication that has been prescribed to me in the past. I hate that medication! now, I am in a very similar situation like you. I’m a young female and I am having (or at least had in the past) long and thick hair. Well, then later, a few months ago (after the diagnose) I have started to notice that my hair is, what I am calling it, is “shedding” at an extremely big rate. I didn’t knew in the past that diabetes could cause it but now I am calling it “shedding” because nowadays it is an usual thing for me to lose at least a couple of hundred hairs in a day. this is horrible. Initially when I firstly saw it I thought that there’s nothing, a couple of hairs have fallen down, but when I saw that this doesn’t stop until this moment I’m now thinking that I would go bald in a few months more. that’s how I decided that this is the right time to do a research. While I was searching I have found out a lot of reasons for the hair loss but then I understood that this is all because of the diabetes which I thought that they have nothing in common. I thought about it the first few months. After the research I understood… I have also found out a lot of complaints from a lot of people about this disease.

Of course I have discussed about this with my doctor and with my dermatologist and they said that this is a combination of some factors… well, the main reason (in fact they were to main reasons) was the dehydration as well as stress too. besides, currently my blood sugar is staying at a crazy level and although I’m trying so hard to control it, nothing comes out of that. I have been trying to make it go to a normal range for some months now, still zero results.

Why I am really here and what I really want to know is if there is somebody who had or still has this problem but some of you have found out a method to help the hair to grow a bit faster?? I really want to know if there is something that really works??

I just want to make you understand well what I am talking about. This hair loss that I am having is amazingly frustrating me. it makes me go crazy. That’s because I have had brain surgery 2 times in the last years for a tumor I have had (I have it no more) so they had to shave my head completely bald, twice. That is why, it took a very long time and a very hard battle for me to grow it back and now… it is all falling apart. I’m very afraid that I would go bald again. I honestly don’t want it anymore. having all this said, I hope very and very much that there would be somebody who can give us an advice or a tip about it. please…

RDS

I am now having diabetes type 2 for approximately 6 years or so. To be sincere,  I have been doing a pretty good job in controlling my sugar levels by a combination of some factors like regular exercise, some oral medicines and of course a pretty strict diet. Not so long ago I have started to use Byetta and I cut down a little on the metformin. Sincerely, the weight issue I have had it is still an issue for me and it is still going up and down. however, this is not my biggest problem and my main question why I have decided to write this post here. My biggest concern now is the same as yours. It is the hair thinning and hair loss. I’m wondering whether is this thing related to the fact that we’re suffering from diabetes or because we’re using some medicines to keep diabetes under control? I still haven’t understood it.

So, to make you understand a bit better. I have been on Glucophage / metformin for approximately as long as I have been diagnosed with diabetes. so, now, thinking about it and looking a bit in the past, I can understand that my hair was slowly slowly thinning but it was sure. After a while my barber noticed it, and he always noticed it and he warned me that I need to stop to use those strong gels, shampoos and sprays. I sincerely have tried to do everything he told me but now I start to understand that actually this is related to my health than those shampoos, sprays etc. I have always tried to purchase only good stuff for this. and my hair was still thinning. Couldn’t understand why. Now that I see that it is most likely related to my health (either directly with the diabetes or with the medicines for it), I’m trying to search for an answer on how to stop it.

I need to mention one more time that I’m in some good levels, however I still need to lose some weight. Even so I am still considering myself in control, the only thing is that I don’t know if it has something to do with my hair. In the past I used to have a very healthy hair, however it is constantly thinning and it also doesn’t grow as much as it did in the past. In fact, it barely grows back. My mother is facing the same thing now, however, she is now 49 while I am only 26 so this scares me a bit.
Any inputs about this, any recommendation, advices, tips etc etc. would be accepted and greatly appreciated. Thank you.