Is there sex life after hysterectomy?

Eliza78

I have been found polyps which totally damaged my ovaries, so i am now waiting to go thru a total hysterectomy. I am terrified about everything, from start to end. My doctor said lack of ovaries my negatively affect my libido, i cannot explain it the way he did, but the point is the same: i will lose interest in sex. I'd like to talk to women who have gone through it already. I'd need some advise, especially for the post surgery period. I'm afraid that will have a bad impact on my marriage. Well, my psychological state at the moment is awful. 

hampy22

Hey Eliza,

I see you posted this more than a week ago, did you passed the hysterectomy? if you did it how you feel now?

I've just read it and I want to encourage you. I'm 40 now and it's been a years since I've done total hysterecomy and now I'm feeling great! My sexual life didn't changed at all, my sex drive is stable and strong and I still have orgasm! The truth is that I used to orgasm more before the hysterectomy, now it's harder. Anway, my husband doesn't complain about it so it has no negative impact on my marriage.

I hope after it you will feel great and the consequences will be at least as mine, but I hope they will be fewer. We can discuss more about it after your hysterectomy. Stay in touch and be brave! Good Luck!

Pam

jeanat52

I was only 30 when I had my hysterectomy due to an accident when I was giving birth to my son. I don't know how other women passed thru this, but for me in my sex life there weren't any changes at all. I passed it similar to hampy. That time I was talking about it and doing research about it and many women said they hadn't changes other said that they had, so maybe it depends only on you. Hope you will feel the same as I and hampy felt; I wanted to have sex few days after coming home from hospital. I knew that we can't do something and that's why we just kept playing, I wanted to know the result as you do now :) I still want to have sex and it never disappeared, but don't forget that sex is a emotional thing too so it depends on your mood and how you will pass thru this. Anyway there will be a significat change related to sex; you will have no more periods after hysterectomy and therefore you will never be pregnant again (I assume that you know it but just to be sure). But as I already mentioned your sex drive shouldn't be affected and I've heard that the best to do it is to wait at least 6 weeks, don't rush things and everything will be just fine ;) Be healthy 

RedHat

I cannot understand how you two passed thru hysterectomy so easily. My sex life has been totally ruined after hysterectomy and not only my sex life, it's all different know. It passed two years already now since I had my hysterectomy but I still have pains and nobody can tell me why I have all of this. I guess I'm just out of luck and I really begrudge you a little bit (hampy and jeanat). Eliza I'm sorry if I scare you, but I think you should be informed about everything so you know that it can change your life making it more or less worse... I didn't found any information and I found no doctor who could inform me what is happening. Maybe I'm weak or maybe I had a doctor with low surgical skill? I recommend you to avoid hysterectomy, if it isn't possible then find the best doctor and give him the money he wants because it can ruin your life... my life now is ruined after the hysterectomy. I was generally healthy, had great sex and my marriage was perfect. After it everything changed: I have back pain, abdominal pain etc. and my marriage is collapsing greatly. I really wish you good luck and hope you will pass it differently.

Mary Moll

Hey hampy and jeanat, can you please help me? I have had my total hysterectomy 6 months ago and I still have spotting and bleedings whenever I have sex. This happens for about two weeks and I don’t know if this is something normal or not. I’ve made a new topic about this so you can read there everything. Can you please PM me or at least write here your response? I will be really thankful.

Chilly8817

I had my hysterectomy let’s say a little less than two months ago, today it is going to be 50 days since I had it and I don't really know whether everything is normal. I mean that a week ago I had sex for the first time with my husband and when I went to clean myself there was little blood, it wasn't as much as when I was having my period or something like that, it was just like a spot and that's all. Well I thought that it can happen sometimes and I tried not to pay attention to it. Anyway, yesterday I had sex for the second time and the exact same story: no blood while having sex but when we finished and I went to clean myself again I noticed a spot of blood. Now I'm a little scared that something went wrong and I don't really know what should I do? I have blood no other times than after sex, any other days everything is fine. Someone who has more experience than me could you tell me what is going on? Is it normal to have some blood after having sex few weeks later after a hysterectomy or it's not that good? Maybe it is going to heal by itself and it just needs some more time? Or I should call my surgeon immediately? I'm truly confused right now. I don't even know if I should have sex again because I'm scared that I'm doing it even worse. No pain is involved and everything seems fine but this problem and I don't know... is it normal or no? Please someone tell me if this is normal or no, I guess I won't sleep thinking about it. Thank you in advance.