kidney transplant and sport!

Ditach

Hello everyone I have a question and take it seriously please because it’s very important for me. So I have had serious problems with my left kidney and my doctor told me that I have had to do a transplant. I have waited for this transplant approximately one year and when he found me a donor I thought that I’m the happiest man in the world. Before the transplant I was practicing sport and I was a body builder, after I found that I have kidney problem I decided to quit in order not to make it all even worse, even doctor told me that I have to quit for now so that’s what I’ve done. After the transplant I asked him if I can start to do sport again and he told me that after 3 months I’ll be able to do this, during these 3 months he want to see how my kidneys work together and if there is everything okay. My question is linked with sport. I know that I can do sport, but I don’t know if I can use protein shakes and I would like to know more about all the procedures. If there is somebody that is able to tell me what can I do and what I should not - I’ll be very happy if you would tell me this. I started to do sports but I forgot to ask it my doctor. Thank you a lot!

deidaru

of course you can use protein shakes the same as practicing sport, the most important question would be about the diet and about the workout routine. Even if your doctor allowed you to do sport it doesn’t mean that you can do all the workout routines that you want to. I suggest you to start as a beginner and be careful because it’s a very serious situation, in case you’ll do something wrong, your kidneys can reject your body and you’ll start to have serious problems – very serious. I have had a kidney and a pancreas transplant some years ago and I also wanted to practice sport. Before this I was like a bodybuilder and it was so important for me to be in shape, but I was meditating about this fact for so long, and I understood that actually I have to be very patient and to start as a beginner, now I lift enough weight and I feel very good, I have quite the same body as I have had before the transplant and I’m really glad that I decided to be patient and to do all the things rationally otherwise, as my doc said, you might end not being able to practice sports at all. I have read so many stories about people that have had transplant and after this, starting working hard they got so many bad consequences that after this they couldn’t workout anymore… I was afraid and I didn’t wanted to risk which I suggest you to do too.

Derrick

I don’t know guys what you think and what you know but I have had the same thing and I talked about this with my doctor, I asked him so many question and he told me that I can return to sport, I can do some kind of exercises but  he also told me that it will take some time to return as I was at the beginning and to do the same exercises, now I’m more on cardio, my doctor recommended me to do cardio, some sport is really  good for health. But I have to disagree with the protein shakes thing. When I asked my doctor about bodybuilding the first thing that he told me is that I can’t use protein shakes, as I remember he warned me about one thing: that my kidneys are made in order to purify  all the things that we have in our body, protein shakes can aggravate their work, this is a long lasting and hard process to purify and he told that they can develop some issues I would use some. Generally he explained that they aren’t so bad for your health because when we are healthy our body is able to purify the things and to extract just things that are good for our health. Also I would like to mention that I agree that diet is a very important fact, we have to take care about our kidney and I think that we have to do this not just for a month or a year we have to take care for all our life. It’s very important what we eat and what you usually use in order to prepare your food. The first thing that I did after the transplant is to eliminate the salt consumption, it causes water retention and this is also a thing that aggravates your kidney function, the second thing that I did I started to drink more water that I have ever drank, it’s very good for our kidneys to drink good filtered water, it’s a thing that usually help our body to eliminate toxins and also facilitate our kidneys work. The process of detoxing is boosted.

Knectee

I have been working out all my entire life and when I have had a transplant I didn’t quit to do the thing that I wanted to do. When I have had a transplant I told my doctor that wouldn’t quit to work out and I told him that the only thing that he can do is to help me and to advice me what would be better to do and how to improve the situation IN THE TIME I’m working out. He didn’t told me anything about protein shakes, and I think that actually drinking protein is not a bad thing, once you have a healthy kidney or pancreas it is impossible to have problems, how you can if your organs are healthy? Of course I don’t tell that a person that have had a transplant yesterday, can use protein shakes today, no, I’m not talking about this, I talk just about the fact that when I stated to work out and it was approximately after 1-2 months after the intervention, I started to use protein in the same day that I started to work out. Since that days passed more that 6 years and I’m okay I don’t have any complications and all my tests are okay. When I talked with my doctor about my position and about shakes he told me that in order to have everything under control I have to take care about my blood consistence- sugar, protein, leukocytes and so on. Check out your blood before started to use proteins, once you’ll find out that your blood is okay you can be sure that actually your kidneys are working okay and you’re out of any risks. I recommend you to take care about your blood continuously and in this way you will be able to drink protein shakes, do sports and whatever you want.

Taidef

Hello guys, I’m a woman and I have had a transplant 15 years ago. I understand that you love sport and body building but I think that you actually don’t understand how seriously is to start doing sport after the recovery. I’m a professional athletic and I work like this since I was a little girl. So the point is that after the transplant and after the recovery I was like you and I do know very well what you’re going through… I thought like you and I wanted to work out like you do now. But it was a big mistake to do this… I started to work out some months after the recovery and I was so excited that I was able to do this again. I was like a zombie, I forgot about the fact that actually I have had a transplant and that it can be dangerous to train so much. I felt myself okay for some months and I thought that there are no more problems anymore and that kidneys problems are in past, completely. After some months, I think 5 or 6 later, I started to feel very bad and first thing was the nausea, the second thing was an extremely insupportable pain where my kidneys are located, I was so scared to talk with my doctor about this. I guess I was scared because I was afraid to hear that I can’t do the thing that I like anymore, I was hiding this thing for a week and after this something happened and I couldn’t wake up from my bed anymore. When my doctor examined me he told me that there is something wrong and that my body started to reject the new kidney I have… I was so scared and insecure, I cried so many times because I was waiting for that transplant for such a long time. Fortunately it wasn’t too late and my doctor helped me to recover again. I wasn’t able to wake up from my bed for 2 months and I forgot about the work out and gym for about 7 years. It was extremely hard to forget about this and obviously I was missing my gym classes and my trainings, but I knew that it was for the best, I understood that I want to live and to be okay, to be healthy. What I wanted to say is that you have to be patient and to take care about your health. Don’t risk your health and your life for such a thing like perfect body, this is not the most important thing in our life. besides, if you would do the same as I’ve done then you risk sitting your ass off for like 7 years. I really don’t care what you would do, but if you won’t listen me then you have big chances ending up exactly as I did. It was a very hard recovery for me so I know what I’m talking about.