Mediterranean diet for heart disease?

Sienna

Found out not so long ago that my dad has a heart disease and that he has to change all his entire life style because of this. I have talked with a lot of doctors and professors to find out the best diet for him and how to start a good new healthy life in order to avoid some further issues. I decided that it will be a great opportunity for my father to quit smoking and also to integrate into a good food eating habit.

My doctor recommended my father to start a Mediterranean diet in order to improve the heart health and in order to make his life style better generally.

My doctor told me all the benefits of this diet but he didn’t explain all the particularities of this diet. I would like to ask you if you can help me with finding out more about this diet, what to take in consideration and what would be important to remember. I hope that I’ll be able to help my father because I really would like to see him happy and healthy.

Tplus

You have made a good decision and I’m happy that you’re caring about your father, first of all it’s really one of the best diets for heart-healthy because it introduces a lot of ingredients  that are able to take care about your father’s heart condition and about your father’s blood.

Usually people chooses diets that are made just for lose weight and that actually don’t take care about the heath situation. The Mediterranean diet is one of the best healthy diets, because it combines the weight loss with health situation. I like this diet because it recommends you to use the olive oil for your health and it also includes a lot of things that are restricted in other diets.

the first thing to say is that this diet was created in order to reduce the risk of heart disease and in reality this really is like this and analysis have demonstrated that actually for more than 1.5 million people that constantly continued to utilize this diet it helped them to reduce the risk of death from heart disease and I think that this is amazing because every time I hear about a person that started to feel happy and healthy because of the diet makes me feel very content, this means that the diet was something successful and that responded to all the requirements a body needs.  It also can help to reduce the risk of cancer, after years it’s becoming more and more difficult to protect our organism from bad influences and I consider that eating healthy is one of the things that we can do in order to help and to improve our body’s health. That’s why utilizing Mediterranean diet it’s a good start for eliminating intestinal cancer, stomach cancer and heart cancer as well so as you can see – it helps you to avoid very bad health issues.
The second important thing to know for those that are ready to start the diet is that there exist a pyramid that facilitate the usage of different types of diets, I’ll try to reassume and to comment on them in order to help you to understand it all better. I’ll divide the food in groups and guidance and after this I’ll comment on.

FOOD GROUPS:                                        GUIDANCE:

1. Meats and sweets                               1. less often

2. Poultry, eggs, cheese                         2. Moderate portion daily
   and yogurt                                                to weekly

3. Fish and sea foods                             3. Often, at least 2 times a week but it is recommended daily (if                                                                                   possible)

4. Fruits, vegetables, grains                  4. base every meal on this group food.
(mostly whole), olive oil ,
beans, nuts, legumes, seeds
herbs and spices.

1. So here is the most important plan and points that you have to remember generalized. I think that it’s not necessary to explain why the sweets and meats have to be used less than the other types of foods. First of all I consider that when a person have some heart disease he completely have to forget about the sweets. Once you start to use or to consume too much sugar it becomes a little bit more difficult to feel healthy. Our heart has to be aware of other types of bad influences.  Sugar can create diabetes and I know that you can say that this can happen just if the person is consuming truly a lot of sugar, but this is not your dad’s situation, you have to know that sometimes diabetes is created because of other type of diseases and heart disease is one of it. I recommend you to stay away from sweets, but if you really can’t live without something sweet, there are a lot of other alternatives that you can use, for example an healthy alternative is –honey, very good and with a lot of benefits for our health, I use it all the time instead of sugar. Both you and especially your dad must remember about this. I don’t think that this is something that you haven’t heard about before, but I mentioned this once more so you would remember it even better.

2. Poultry eggs, cheese and yogurt is something that have to be consumed with moderation. I know that there are a lot of diets were actually is required to put these types of food on the first place, in order to eat more proteins and to lose the fat store. But this is wrong to eat always only proteins, in these types of food there are a low consistence of fiber that is vital for your health, that is why our plan includes an alternative that combines fiber with proteins and this is 3. fish and seafood. This is very important for our health, these foods have so many benefits, minerals and vitamins that are recommended to be used at least once a week, I try to eat them all the time I can do this, and I feel that this is really amazing and that this improved very much my health condition.

4. The last category is something that is missing in the biggest part of diets. But we should know that this is the most important part that helps us to keep our level energy high and to implement the consumption of vitamins and minerals. Besides the vitamins and minerals that we have in fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, olive oil… we can find also a good amount of so called “ good carbs” that helps us without energy level, also we can add here the healthy fats that we received, and I would like to underline that in your father’s condition is very important to consume healthy fats, they respond for our heart situation and our brain activity (nuts, seeds) are the best resources.

I think that this is a type of diet that is helping you to improve and to experiment. If you’ll ever want to prepare something specific for your father, remember that in internet there are a lot of receipts including all the good ingredients that you can use in order to get a healthy (as well as tasty) meal.

I really consider that this diet is one of the best diets ever, just remember that this is one of the diets that are used by a big part of Europeans and mostly by the Greeks. That’s so cool to travel there and to see how is their eating style. This is one of my dreams. Of course the biggest differences from Greeks and Americans is that they don’t consider this such as a diet, this is more like a life style for them, something normal for their life. I think that if you’re able to change your life and to introduce this not like a diet but like a life style then this will be one of the best decisions that you have ever taken. After all, I do agree with the statement: you are what you eat. 

Remember the most important points, that have to be introduced since the beginning in your life:

- forget about the butter and start to eat healthy fats

- consume more from vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts, these are the most important energy sources for you

- forget about the salt and start to flavor your food with spices and herbs, best healthy alternative for
   your food taste.

-limit the red meat, it’s a very dangerous one, that can provoke heart disease and also some cancers, I don’t want to tell you that you shouldn’t eat it at all, but I would recommend this to your father who’s having a bad heart condition.

- eat fish and poultry at least 1 or 2 times a week or even more

- for those who love wine, there is a good news for you, you can drink it but in moderation, consult your doctor about this.

I hope that I hoped you and your father, and hope that soon I’ll hear about your and your father’s new healthy results.

Sienna

thank you very much about all this information, and I appreciate this very much because I can imagine how long it took to write all of this, thank you for spending your time helping me. Anyway I have read all the info you’ve said carefully and I’m very happy that now I know more about this and that I know how to help my father. Thank you about the cooking information, I love to experiment and to cook that’s why I would like to find out more receipts, this is the next task that I have wrote in my plan, to find out Mediterranean diet receipts. Thank you a lot! I’m still going to search more information about this diet, the foods, receipts and etc. I guess that I would really try to make it my lifestyle starting from now (and my father’s). good luck to you!