melatonin affects fertility

Carly

Hi girls! I would like to know something about the melatonin! Does this medicament have some negative effects on fertility? I’m just trying to have a baby and I heard that women that want to get pregnant should not take this medicament. I don’t know if this affects just the hormones or also the female reproductive system?  Waiting for your answers!

MBernic

I suggest you to consult your family doctor. I think that he will be able to help you and to answer to all your questions. I just can say that melatonin is a very strong medicine and the normal amount is one to three milligrams but it also depends from woman to woman. So don’t wait and ask your doctor as soon as possible. Good luck and hope you’ll get better.

2Mia

I think that I’ve got pregnant using melatonin. Seriously. I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 2 years and nothing worked. Obviously doctors made a bunch of tests on me and on my husband and instead of all their recommendations, pills and so on nothing worked. Lately they have been told us that the only chance that I can get pregnant is through In Vitro because my body has a very high FSH level and it is acting like it is in premenopausal stage. I would agree to have In Vitro, my husband too, the point is that we cannot afford it now since it’s very expensive. Few months ago I took melatonin in order to help me to sleep normally. I stopped it because I was feeling “not good”, a little bit dizzy in the mornings. That’s why I took it for about a little more than one week only.

Well, yesterday I decided to take a pregnancy test because I was late for my period for over a week. Even so I was already sure that I’m not, I thought my chances of being pregnant were 0.1% because I had no luck in all these years. I could not believe my eyes when the result was positive. I’ve took another 4 tests since then and all of them came back with the same result. Today I read all day about melatonin and fertility, I read everything I found and now I truly believe that this is responsible for the change in my body that allowed my husband’s sperm and my egg to get together. I’m unbelievable happy now and I just wanted to say thanks to those who created melatonin. I don’t know what else could affect my fertility and I doubt that something else is responsible for this. Thank you one more time!