my blood is smelling like it is metal

Hi, I would want to get a little of your help if it’s possible. Can you explain me what’s really wrong with me? the last a couple of times that I have been cut a bit or scratched, I have noticed that my blood is having a very and very strong smell of METAL. Yeah, call me crazy but that’s true. The first few times I have noticed it I thought that I am really crazy. I thought that this odor is coming from elsewhere. But when I noticed that every single time I am scratched or cut and blood comes out, I can clearly smell metal. I don’t seem to be a robot. Am I having a blood disorder? Why my blood is smelling metal? This is very strange and I’m worried a bit.

More information about me that might help:

I am not sure if this is making a difference but I am 58 years old (not so long ago turned 58). I have had my uterus removed years ago and what’s the most important: my daughter (she’s not 8 years old) has been born with an extra thumb. We removed it when she was only 1 year old. but… could this be because of me? I mean, maybe she got born with that extra thumb because of my “strange metal smelling blood”? I have also been taking Avastin in the past for wet macular degeneration, but I am not taking it now. I have obviously been on some other drugs too, but the biggest period of time that I have been on a drug was 2 years – Avastin.

I’m not sure if any of my information is helpful for my condition (for my question) but I said everything that I thought might be helpful. can somebody help me? is there somebody else with a similar condition?

ninaflemming

I am having a pretty similar problem to yours and I have been thinking now for a while about making myself a topic regarding this but I have seen your post so I immediately decided to reply.

Well, my issue is that my blood is also “tasting” like metal. I have noticed that when I am eating canned foods I am tasting metal. There are also some times when I am able to taste metal when I am putting cutlery in my mouth. Other times, I am also tasting metal if I am eating foods that are having a high content of iron and the last of what I have noticed is that I notice it when I am doing extensive exercising too.

The first time I have noticed when it happened was nearly one year ago (the reason why I was thinking to make this post for a while now). The very first time when I have had a taste of metal in my mouth was when I was playing outdoor hockey with friends. I have a feeling that this is due to the fact that then I am having an increase of my blood pressure. After I have had that, it started to be more and more frequent. Also, then I was at a rural residence and the maintenance man has warned me not to drink the tap water because he was repairing the plumbing or something (not remember) and the water from there was unsafe to drink in that time. after a while I forgot so I have ended up in drinking a little of that tap water. I am now thinking if this accident could be responsible for the metal taste I am getting in my mouth and what is the chance that I possibly got contracted leading to poisoning? And if that accident could still have an impact until nowadays because one year passed and I have it more and more often. 

I am not that sure if what are you describing is exactly what I am suffering from but it seems that it is similarly the same. I can also describe this “taste” as a smell. But I am not sure. What I wanted to let you know is that you’re not alone that it is having strange mental “issue”.

About me: I am currently on rebif for my multiple sclerosis (not sure if this has anything to do with my current condition) and I am also having some chest discomfort with fatigue (I have made a topic about this). I also have children and I am 32 years old female. Been said I also have anxiety – but I’m nearly sure that these 2 are totally unrelated.

By the way, I have done some blood tests, everything came out normal and nothing shows up anything as being an issue to my metal taste. Maybe there’s something that it is not so easily detected? Any professional help would be deeply appreciated. Thank you a lot!

Bannerman

Not sure that this is going to work 100% but at least a recommendation that might help both of you: Neem Aura neem leaf capsule. I am recommending you these neam leafs because they are traditionally used in the ayurvedic tradition as being a tonic as well as a blood cleanser of “negative influences” and it is also believed to be a cooling to counteract Pitta (fire element) imbalances. I am not that sure that this is going to work since you’re not sure that this is truly a blood disorder or something else. If it is, then it has good chances that it is going to work. Best of luck!

Dora

Well, he blood is smelling like a metal due to the fact that it has a high consistency of iron in it.

in case you are having a metal taste in your mouth then you should take a pregnancy test – you might be pregnant, again (as you said that you have children).

In case you are able to taste or to smell the metal the time when you are exercising then that’s most likely because your blood pressure has been raised (as you have mentioned it).

I am in a pretty similar situation to yours – I do have an very and very sensitive sense of smell as well as taste.

I have a feeling that in case you would start eating healthier foods, fresher foods with only good and clean water then this might help a bit. At least try this, try eating a little bit better and healthier and notice the effects. anyway, after all only you are aware on what your body needs and wants so give it everything.

After all, if there’s a bit of metal smell then don’t worry, as I started saying – our blood is high in iron, maybe that’s normal and there is not so MUCH of that smell, maybe you’re just sensitive, as I am. ask somebody else to smell your blood (I know that it sounds gross, but still, it might help), if he or she says that everything is alright then most likely that’s true and the only thing is that you’re sensitive. Maybe you’re pregnant? Maybe you’re going through menopause, maybe you have been born sensitive. Maybe something is wrong with your hormones which makes you so sensitive? There are lots and lots of questions and these questions might be the answer to your questions.

luku

Wow. suddenly I have also started to get the exact same problem and I start being worried. Only not so long ago I started to feel that my blood has had an very overwhelming and strong smell of iron and that’s not good. yeah, I do know very well that our blood is having iron in it and it really does typically smell like a metal but… that’s just not good. no disrespect Dora but think about it a bit, this is not the reason why we decided to post this information and these questions here. If everything would be fine we wouldn’t do it. you think that we have too much time and we have nothing to do with it? I think that we all know very well that our humans blood is normally smelling as well as tasting like an iron, like metal, however, what we are having is an overwhelming abundance of this  metal smell and taste that has appeared over night. Do you think this is normal? We are obviously interested in why this change has appeared, what made it appear? And how to turn back to normal? That is why, please, don’t make any obvious remarks here, only if you know the answer.

And yes, the lay couple of times I have been bleeding it has been much much more stronger than usual. I have been anemic and the last couple of times my hemoglobin has been checked it, I have been said that it is ok. It has been better now for a while, for almost a year (about 9-11 months). But, I have not yet checked it lately. I mean, since this a lot more stronger iron smell has appeared I haven’t checked it out. Are there any ideas? Any REAL ideas please? if there are some people who knows anything, please, let us know. Thank you a lot in advance! I will surely go and take a blood test in the near future, but since then I would want to inform myself more.

Bedeencion1980

Well, in case you were anemic in the past (which is low blood iron) and then you have been ok lately then this means that your iron content is now higher than it has been in the past. Having that said, you are going to expect a stronger metallic smell and taste to your blood than how it was during the period that you have been anemic.

Plus, the iron component in your blood is the critical prosthetic component of the hemoglobin and it is allowing your red blood cells to bind the oxygen. The hemoglobin content you are having is able to change to a specific extent that it is depending on some circumstances (like for example: if you are living at a high altitude because there is less oxygen per breath, or other case if you are exercising very much and so on). A similar drastic scenario like this one can change the amount of your hemoglobin per drop of blood. Less or more but this is going to change the taste accordingly to what has been changed.

In the end, I can bet that in case you were relatively dehydrated then your blood is also going to be more metallic smelling and testing. How do I explain? Well, in case you are dehydrated then your blood is going to literally be a little bit more viscous (it has less component of the plasma watery thing) and all of this means that you would have more red blood cells crammed in there per each drop blood than if comparing to the time when you are fully hydrated. This is going to be enough in order to make your blood seem much more metallic than usual. Hope this helps.

luku

Thank you a lot Bedeencion for this information! What you have said up there really makes sense, at least to me, all of it. I have never thought about either one of all these points you’ve pointed out there. I’m also pretty interested if some hormone changes have at least anything to do with that either. I’m only 19 years old but I have gave birth to my son 10 months ago. after his birth is the time when I was anemic. I was able to turn it around in less than 2 months or so. I am ready to bet that a combination of all of that is the result of this. thank you a lot once again for your really helpful reply! Have a nice day!

Scioneir

Yeah, what bedeencion has said there does makes sense, but I am having a little bit of another thing and how can you explain it? my blood has been like that for as long as I can remember myself. that’s truly strange. I know that if I would bleed a little bit and a little bit of my blood was getting on my hands or on a table or whatever, I was getting an very strong and overwhelming smell of iron, like I was not bleeding but I was rubbing metal out there. I do know very well that blood is has iron in it contained but I’m sure that this is not due to the fact that I am dehydrated, because I am always fully hydrated as I am drinking no less than 2 liters of water per day. sometimes even more. like 3 or even 4. But minimum is 2 liters. I started to observe and to think about it by the time I was in high school and since then, it has not gotten absolutely any better at all. currently, I am not feeling sick, there’s not an issue with me that I would be aware of or something in that matter. It seems that I am completely fine and I do feel fine, at least as fine as I am usually doing. In fact, I said that it hasn’t got any better but in fact I can say that the smell is now stronger, which I assume that it has gotten worse. I have a feeling that my blood is able to set off a metal detector – that strong the smell is. Somebody said to give my blood to smell to somebody else, there’s no need. When I was in high school and I was bleeding, I have been told that my blood is stinking. My friends also tell me this. besides, this, healthy eating does not make any changes at all. the smell is not changing when I am switching to different foods. For a while I was eating only exclusively healthy foods, low in iron and still… it is also not getting any weaker when I am doing some other things trying to weaken this smell. And I’m young. I am only 24 years old if that changes anything…

I honestly have no ideas if there’s something wrong with me or there is nothing that I should be worried about but any help would be very appreciated. Any information regarding this might be the key. That is why I want to say thank you, those who tried to help, but even though it does make sense, I think this is not enough… honestly, I have not talked with doctors about this and I’m wondering if I should or no. but I see that there are other people who have done this and they got no help so… I have a feeling that this is going to be useless.

tomgreen

Hey guys. I am not having this smell of blood from my blood but I do have a similar smell in my throat. It is hard to explain. It is like a smell, or like a taste, I don’t know. And it only happens periodically. I’m a male and I’m 22 years old and I only had this taste or smell (not sure how I can call it) a couple of times in my life. I have started to notice that I’m getting it more in winter (not sure why). In my entire life I have had it about 10 times or so. But when it happens, it is horrible. I do smoke, but I’m not sure if this has anything to do with that because it doesn’t feel/taste/smell like a cigarette smoke, but like a METAL. It feels like I put a metal in my mouth and I’m chewing it or something. It is hard for me to explain, but I think those who have had this thing know what I am talking about.

By the way, it does not bother me very much. it lasts only a couple of minutes and it rarely happens and I don’t have any other feeling than that. this is the reason why I have never told this to my doctor (it’s not a big problem). I’m just curious of what this can be. thanks a lot!