My son is 6 and is bipolar

Goldie

Hello everyone, I have a son diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but he is only 6 years old... I would like to know how others parents are dealing with illness of their children, or an expert / psychologist advice. I don't like the idea of my son being always on medications, but if there is no other way I would like to know types of medications I can give him (I already gave him some medications, but I want to know about others). We have been to a psychologist which gave me the medications... Now he is quite changed - his grades at school have improved and he became significantly calmer than I used to know him (this scares me a lot). By the way, my father was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder... Please let me know everything that could be helpful! Any insight could be helpful!

iKenny

Hello there, I really sympathies you with your son. I am not a doctor nor do I have a son diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but our family friends' son is going through the same situation so I understand your frustration. He was diagnosed with this mood disorder at age of 5 by a psychologist until he fully claimed that their son has bipolar disorder. I know that this is not easy dealing with this situation, it's hard having a child with bipolar disorder, I see them fighting with this every day.  Nowadays they try to have something like "discipline progress", they say it's the most effective method they ever tried. Usually when their child's behavior is giving sign of bipolar disorder they separate him in his room alone where he can relax and calm down. After that they try once again finding a treatment and talking about this and how to avoid this kind of unpleasant situations. I'm greatly surprised that your son is significantly calmer than usually. Also the kid is on some kind of drugs which psychologist prescribed, I don't remember their (drugs) names, I will ask them if you are jointly interested. You have to be patient and search as more information. I don't think his parents will get upset on me because I told you their story, I just want you to know that you are not the only parent who is dealing with this and I really want to help you. I know is hard but don't give up! I'm sure everything will be alright.

Goldie

Hey Kenny thank you for your kind words, that's what I need right know. Can you add me so we could talk further about it and you could let me know how your friends are dealing with their child? I don't think their method will work on my kid because he is always calm.... Anyway thank you so much and let me know if we can chat.

Mount Olive

Well I understand you perfectly. I have 2 kinds and the older is diagnosed with severe adhd and add and the youger with bipolar disorder. I'm feeling so damn bad and down I don't have words to explain. I have spend nights of trying to convince him that everything is alright and everything he says is just his imagination. it feels soooooo annoying, frustrating and unfair. I'm also sorry for your children and for whoever has children with these disorders. I was called a bad parent because of this, I guess you were too, so I know how bad it sucks... I've tried and I still try for my children, I still hope that there is a chance of changing everything, of fixing everything up. I really don't want my children go on different drugs or whatever medicine if it doesn't necessary, but I would rather do that than knowing they suffer in pain or they somehow can hurt themselves or someone else. I'm trying to keep them away from medicine as long as it is possible. I just want them to be happy and to have a normal life, I guess as other loving mother. Sorry for such a depressive post... I just find it hard dealing with this. If someone knows an alternate way of fixing this up beside chemicals I would be sooo thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarczynski

I agree with you all that surely you don't need to put your children on unknown medications. Psychiatrist do not know for sure what people have (especially children) and most of the time they give your children medications in experiment just to see what is working for them. In my opinion this is very dangerous for a kid's health because he cannot say how they feel as an adult can. I'm saying this due to my own experience I gained when I was a child and I perfectly understand you all because I also have a 5 years old son diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Obviously I won't give him any medications until he will grow up because I know for sure that there are other methods that can work. No one can say for sure what do children have (when it's not a physical issue of course) that is why medications can work now (seem that your children behavior is better) and then you discover that something went wrong and now his situation is worse. I strongly recommend that you don't give any medication to your children until you find out for sure what your children has and wait the right age for him to take those meds.

Anne K.

I can feel your pains, I do know what are going through right now because I also have a child who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I guess this is something hereditary because I also was exactly like my son is but I wasn’t diagnosed (back then medicine wasn’t so good plus money was a really big problem). What I know for sure is that you cannot really relate on this until you have a kid diagnosed with this disorder. I didn’t get any help with my condition until I was already 30 years old but now I am really really trying for my child to have a better youth then I had and to help him now, not when he’s going to be a grown up. He is also 6 and it is very hard to deal with, in general I would tell you that it is hard to deal with children diagnosed with bipolar (as it is hard now for me with my child and as it was hard for my parents dealing with me when I was in his age). Besides the fact that they have this disorder they are still children and they don’t understand it. I do know this very well because I’ve spend most of my life trying to find a cure for this disorder and reading very much info about it. One thing I can tell you is: ignore those people who are telling you that you are a bad or a crazy mom because your child is acting this way, or because you put your child on different meds. I agree with the previous poster that we have to avoid giving our children all kind of meds but when you see that he’s doing worse and worse then there’s not really much you can do about that. I guess no parent would want to give his child any kind of medications. Those people who are telling you this definitely haven’t been in your situation and they just don’t know what they are talking about.

By the way, I’ve been to an endocrinologist who said that giving my son fish oil would solve very much of adhd but I can’t get my child to take it so I recommend to everybody else here. Try giving your children fish oil and you’ll see some improvements. Good luck!