non lancing glucoser meter

wooker

Hey all. I do realize that chances are not so big that I would get some help but maybe I would be lucky so I need to ask you: is there anybody who knows of any of the new tech meters that do not require the lancing to draw blood and test??

I am asking this because my sister is nearly blind and she is not able to see the blood sample to touch the test strip to. I have tried to help her researching about these but so far I have had no luck so I thought that maybe I would have a bit of luck here. thank you very much in advance for everything.

Luis

Hello there wooker, unfortunately, your options are pretty much limited. I one think that you have only 2 options: the first one is that you can either go with a sensor that it is requiring blood or the second one is that you could go with a continuous glucose measurement system.

Well, a continuous glucose measurement system uses a sensor that you insert under the skin and leave in place. Anyway, I have to say that I am not an very big expert on diabetes, however I do believe that those are generally measuring interstitial glucose (which, to my knowledge, is changing more slowly over some the time) instead of the blood glucose, that is why your measurements are going to lag a little bit behind the actual blood glucose levels.

Also, I think that the only completely non invasive method for you (the only one that at least I know about) is the Gluco Watch, which has been withdrawn a couple of years ago.

And yeah, I am not sure how helpful this would be but you could get talking Glucose Monitors for the blind, in case that would help. not sure if any of this would help but I really hope so. Good luck to you and your sister.

wooker

Hi there Luis and thank you very much for your reply. I just have read a bit of information about this continuous monitoring system you told me about.

Also, I remember a while back there have been some TV ads about non invasive meters that are misleading and pretty much not true what showing. They just want to get their patients on Medicare that is why they can bill the government those over priced meters and supplies!

Also, it truly does not look to be like any of corp is interested in making and producing a non lance device due to the fact that they are making a lot of money on their meter supplies so of course they would not like to lose money. I think that exactly as with everything else (absolutely any other industry in this world, on this earth) it is all only about the money and definitely not about helping people who really suffer. indeed there are a few people who want to help people who really suffer but most people just want money. I have a feeling that whatever the big companies are doing it is all ONLY for money purposes exclusively!

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. you seem to be one of those few people who really seem to want to help!

gixxer

Oh yeah, you are definitely right wooker about that, all the testing strips are exactly what and where they are making all the huge money, that’s true. it is also true that they all do for money, not for people. around here where I live, you are getting that machine free of charge, however the strips are around 80 bucks or so if having no insurance so… and those insurance… the prices for them are sooo darn much that you would rather go without an insurance a lot of times.. once again, people just need money and they don’t need people.

SAM

It would really be a very big relief if I would not have to keep pricking my finger so I really hope that they would come up with something in the end.

In the UK, people suffering from diabetes are getting all their medications for anything they need on the NHS so we do not need to pay for the meter supplies. This really makes me feel a little bit guilty when considering the fact that people that have heart conditions unbelievable but they do need to pay for their medication in here while they do need them to live, period. I really appreciate a lot that I am getting the diabetic medications that I need on the NHS, trust me I really do, and I would really wish that it were the same for everybody else either, but unfortunately, I do not make the rules to make it happen. If it would be up to me then I would do it because I know how hard it can be. yet, I am finding myself thinking that anything that it is not diabetically connected to should be paid for by myself, the exact same rule should be for everybody else either… I mean… come on… that’s just not fair, I think.

Ardsomal

“Also, I remember a while back there have been some TV ads about non invasive meters that are misleading and pretty much not true what showing. They just want to get their patients on Medicare that is why they can bill the government those over priced meters and supplies!”

Oh yeah, I also remember seeing those ads. The trick in the lance is embedded in the lancer, so on the commercial they are trying to show the lancer touching the skin. However, what they do not show in there is that as soon as you pop the trigger the lance (hidden) it releases into the finger… lies everywhere.