Non opiate but strong PK medicine?

Quiroz

Hello everybody. can you tell me an non opiate but still strong pain killer? I want you to understand me right, I am not having any problems with opiates in general and I do use them when it is necessary for me to deal with my chronic pain I have, however, my wife that it is suffering from ongoing acute bouts of some very intense pain (it does happen several times per month) rather than persistent daily pains is just getting nauseous and ill when she is taking anything that it is opiate based or any other that is opiate derivative (such as oxycodone, hydrocodone, buprenorphine and any other of them). she truly requires something very strong when those attacks are occurring, she needs something that strong just to normally function, however due to the fact that she is getting highly sensitive to the opiate she does not know where to turn then. And, as you can see, neither do I. so she needs help and I want to help her, since I don’t know how, I want to get a bit of your help if that’s possible. I am specifically searching for some type of prescription pain killer that it is not opiate in any form. is here somebody who does know anything of this? thank you all in advance.

Toliman

Not sure how well they would help but I think they would: 800 mg ibuprofen tablets. Your wife has to get a script for them as they might help. however, you’ve got to know that ibuprofen it is the strongest easy to get pain reliever and about 800 mg of ibuprofen has been proven to be much more effective than treating pain than 30 mg of codeine. That’s a change. And also, ibuprofen was a scheduled drug at one point in the time. I think that it is by far the strongest one compared to Tylenol and or aspirin. Wish you and your wife good luck and hope she would get rid of pains.

MilyCC

OP, I think that you should tell more information, such as what type of pain is it, more specifically (is it a joint pain, nerve pain, muscle pain etc.?) to be honest, I am not very sure if you are going to find very much or any very specifically in case you are going to eliminate all of the opiates and their derivatives as well. I can tell you from my personal experience, from what I have found out myself that Aleve, Naproxem it is most likely one of the most strong OTC pain medications out there, however, since it is an OTC drug it should tell you what you might expect from getting it. and also, what it is the point of getting a script of 800 mg of ibuprofen? You simply could just as well pop 4 of the otc pills and so to avoid all the hassle. I one am not very sure that the ibuprofen method is going to be very effective.

Refes1989

Regarding the second commenter about 800 mg of ibuprofen: you may just exactly as that take 4 of 200 mg over the counter ibuprofen tablets and you are going to get the exact same effect. Ibuprofen it is better than codeine for the pain that it is caused by inflammation, however I really doubt that it is just as good for the neurological pain. Having that said, it is indeed very important to mention what kind of pain your wife is experiencing, you’ve got to be a little bit more specific and more detailed.

Toliman

Very well, OP has asked for a prescription pain killer. And since he has ruled out all the opiate based and opiate derivatives he’s got with very little option and since the 200 mg of OTCs ibuprofen are not a prescriptions (as well as aspirin and Tylenol are not) then I have been thinking that 800 mg tablets of the ibuprofen are very well falling into his criteria better. plus, I still don’t know any other better response.

Anniand

Oh yeah, I do agree with others, exactly as they have mentioned it: we do need to know what kind of pain your wife is experiencing. Muscle pain, nerve pain, bone pain or what exactly? You’ve got to mention what it is the type of the pain as well as what it is exactly causing the pain. I am asking this (sure others asked it as well) because every pain killer is having its best purpose and also, each of the pain killer is having its own side effects (like for example, 800 mg of ibuprofen might very well be amazing for a pain caused by inflammation or muscle pain, however I think that it could be a really bad solution for the stomach issues). And this applies to every of them. in other words, what I am trying to say is that we need more information.

Odell

So well, look, personally for me about 800 mg of ibuprofen is usually doing the trick, but each person is different and I can’t be sure whether would it be enough for you too or not. however, for me 800 mg of ibuprofen is just fine. in case I am having some kind of a really very bad toothache or the starting of a migraine or some horrible “cramps” or a sprained ankle or an arthritis pain or carpel tunnel kind of a pain… this is going to work for me much more better than Tylenol or any other kind of opiate based medication. but again, for me personally. For some reason, the motrin 800 rx is working better. I do realize that it might just as well be all in my head only as I do know that it is the same amount of medication in 4 over the counter IBs, however maybe it has something to do with all being concentrated into one single pill?? who knows it for sure? There are other people who have told me the exact same thing either, so I don’t know but maybe we are all nuts?! And yeah, also, there is another medication in the same type of category which is much less known than others called toradol. I’m pretty sure not very much people have heard about it, however I can tell you that this is indeed a great medication for after surgery pain, however you are not able to take it long term. I really hope that this is going to help at least a little bit? I personally am thinking that those would be way much more stronger than tramadol. But this is in my experience only, anyway, so I can’t be sure how it would be for any other people.

Quiroz

I am sorry that I have not posted this earlier and I am sorry that it took so long for me to post this, anyway, for those who have asked about the type of pains I can tell you: her pain is being related to her menstrual cycle, however the pain it is hard to categorize as it is not that usual simple pain cramps. I guess that it would have probably be best descried as an endometrial pain which means it is a nerve pain. She is having intense and very sharp pain getting on one side of her abdomen for approximately 5 to 10 days every single month. My wife has had all the kinds and types of tests that she could and she even had a surgery, however they have not been able to find any way to help her and to understand what’s that pain and where it is coming from.

Among those medications that she has tried in the past I can mention the following: davocet, hydrocodone, tramadol, oxydocone, codeine, buprenorphine and she has had a very bad physical reaction all of them only except for the tramadol which was not strong enough in order to help with her pains. Very well, currently she is alternating 1000 mg of acetaminophen and 400 mg of ibuprofen every 2 hours and continues to go like that 24 hours per day (when she has those horrible and insupportable attacks). She did have tried 800 mg of ibuprofen, however the problem it is that more of a situation that the pain medicine does not last long enough. In other words, what I am trying to say is that she is able to take 800 mg of ibuprofen and it is going to take 30 minutes or so in order for the effects to kick in and the relief is going to be for about 1.5 hours and that’s in case she is getting any luck. I one think that she truly needs something much more stronger than that so that even when the drug is not at its peak of release then it still to be enough in order to keep under control the pain. However, since given the fact that my wife is so sensitive to the opiates, it is extremely difficult to find something that would be helpful for her. this is the reason why I am asking this question here and why I need your help so desperately. Thanks for your replies, I would appreciate anything else as well.

Bried

Oh well, for the menstrual cycle mefenamic acid may help your wife out. tell your wife to try it once and see how it would work for her. I remember that there was another forum site where I have wrote a topic specifically for that. I might write it again here, I am going to see. black cohosh, hot tea, caffeine, alka seltzer, salads and or hot pack. Vomiting may help as well. I have found that starting this at the onset is helping a lot. moderate exercise and laying in the fetal position may also give you some relief a little bit. your wife really should talk to a doctor about the birth control pills as well, or at least just make her look into them a bit. they did not work very well for me as a long term solution, however I am thinking that they have helped somewhat to an extent, other people might react even better than me. so well, I am currently using caffeine, vicodin, black cohosh, aromatherapy, mefenamic acid (not sure the right spelling), vilumin as well as lying in a triangle. I do know what it is when you are talking about the horrible menstrual cramps and I am in a much more better condition now than how I used to be in the past. I would black out because of those pains in the past. They are bad now either, however not as they used to be. hope this would be helpful.

Anniand

oh well, the muscle relaxers (such as carisprodol or maybe even valium or any others) and ibuprofen. Most of the menstrual cramps as well as pains are deep muscle cramps.

She is able to take a lot of ibuprofen as long as it is only for a few days at a time and to make sure that she is taking it all with food. This helps.
also, heat, hot packs, hot water bottle, hot baths, whatever hot. She needs hot.

Regarding the Tylenol intake you should tell your wife that she does not need it as it is not going to do anything at all. stay away from it. and also, I do realize that the last thing she is going to want to do is to exercise, however there are really a lot of yoga position that are really working in order to alleviate the pain that she is getting from her menstrual cycle. You might google yoga for menstruation and then show her, trust me you are going to be much more than helpful if you’re going to do so and she would do it.

But mainly? Muscle relaxer, heat on her belly as well as ibuprofen in some huge amounts. All of these combined with a little bit of yoga would surely do the trick and she is going to feel much more better soon. wish you good luck.

Staub

I one am having a question for the OP… what it is constituting a “bad reaction” to “all of the opioid pain killers that you have listed”? lets say hypothetically that you have taken a little bit way too much or you are having a lower tolerance than most of the people? I am really very sensitive to the methadone and to bupe as well. when I am taking methadone, 10 mg is about like to take an OC 60 to me. at the baseline tolerance, I am going to puke forever in case I am taking 20 mg of it. I am now wondering if maybe you are just very sensitive to the opiates as well as just should take less? I can’t be sure (pretty sure you either) that you are one of those people that just has had all of what you need at like 5 mg of hydrocodone?

charger

Diazepam is able to work pretty well as a pain killer in some of the situations, depending how you are responding on the diazepam and what kind of pain you are having. diclofenac as well as non opioid pain killer than some IOPs are carrying also. I do understand that you have discussed with a doctor about this, but maybe you need somebody, a doctor who is specifically working with menstruation cramps. Hope you and your wife would be fine. good luck.

Olcou1960

I think that you’ve got to try tramadol out or any of the popular muscle relaxers out there as they really might help a lot with the menstruation. Tramadol is also like a silver bullet for a lot of people out there, however it can interact with other medications like for example SSRIs, but you’ve got to be careful and do your research first very well about this. you’ve mentioned that your wife has tried tramadol, have she taken any tramadol under the supervision of a professional doctor?

WasyMe2000

Hey there OP, I can’t be sure but you may already know this and I may have interpreted the information incorrectly, can’t be sure, however I have had to mention this after reading the post just to be sure about something.

I make sure that she is keeping an eye on the dose of Tylenol. From your post you have said that she is alternating between 1 g of Tylenol (acetaminophen) and 400 mg of ibuprofen every 2 hours around the clock – 24 hours. Tylenol toxicity can be extremely serious and even though exceeding the maximum daily dosage for one day may not be a very big issue, in case she is doing it for a several days and especially several days in a row then it really could be an issue.

I one do hope a lot that she is going to be able to find a solution and to feel better soon. I do know what you’re wife is going through. The pain is a very tough thing to live with as many here have said. myself included, are aware…

Scioneir

Oh well, look, as other people have already said it – I can think of nothing at all but strong ibuprofen tablets, which truly sucks due to the fact that they mess with my stomach and do not even help that much. I am truly thinking that narcotics are the only ones that are really helping at least a bit for the strong pain, they only need to find a way so that the tolerance does not rise so quickly and weaning down it is easier than the pain sufferers would be very golden.

WildKnight

Hey there OP, I do know that this could sound like a long shot, however kratom really does seem to work very well on the pain if it is used in the right mixture and used in the right way so I think that it could be a solution for your wife’s pains. It is working on the opiate receivers in the brain, however it is not an opiate. Kratom is getting more and more popular lately and it would be, honestly, a strange thing if you would tell me that you’ve never heard about it. I personally truly would recommend the stem and vein poweder to mix in specifically, as it does seem to have the best pain dulling properties per each gram. To be honest, I highly doubt that there is any other pain killing thing non opiate based than kratom and in case you wife have not tried it yet then I honestly think that it is the right time to give it a try. It is definitely worth to give ti a try. I could most likely ramble on this, however I am going to give you some more information in case this seems like a viable option then you might want to try it out. hope you’re going to be all fine.

Julieta

Hey there Quiroz, have you ever considered to give her an antihistamine with her opiates? (promethazine expecially or cetrezine advised). As much as I could understand, you need a strong but non opiate based pain killing drug because opiates are making your wife feel bad and she has side effects from it, however from using an antihistamine with the opiates it may alleviate most of the side effects.

Quiroz

Oh well, firstly I would really like to thank you all for your replies. I truly appreciate all the time and the effort you’ve made for me. Every single of your response is truly precious for me and so I appreciate each one of you and each of your words.

Secondly I would also like to say that I should have been more specific, I guess, as much as I can see. so well, I have to tell that my wife’s problem it is mainly during the ovulation. She indeed does have some pain during her period either, however the pains that are the worst are mainly during the ovulation period. and also I can tell you that the pains she is having are so intense that she is not able to move at all. the pain is usually coming in waves and it is usually more intense during the night as during the day they are also very bad, but not as during the night.

Also, Bried: you said about the fact that if you wouldn’t use all of those then you would black out. I’ve to tell you that blacking out is really intense! I am very and very glad for you that you are better now and that you do not have to deal with that anymore. I am going to have to look into some of the things that you have suggested so that’s why I, firstly, want to sincerely thank you for tell me about them. regarding the birth control methods to deal with the pain, she is not willing to do that at this point due to the fact that she (in fact, both of us) think and believe that there are even some more potentially very dangerous long term side effects from the hormonal usage (and we think that this applies to any type) and because she had a really really bad reaction when she has taken it years ago (yeah, she did tried it in the past).

Next, Anniand regarding the menstrual cramps in general and methods that might help… well, thanks for the answer but to be honest I am really not that sure whether it is menstrual cramps, that was only as close as I could describe it. yeah, it may be I can’t be sure, however we really don’t know if it’s so... regarding the yoga that might help her… well, she really cannot do yoga since she is not even able to move at all, which is kind of like a really slow yoga.

Staub thank you for the answer and for asking the question regarding what’s the bad reaction. Well, look for example: using 2 halves of a 5 mg of percocet, one at midnight and the other one at 3 am – it has caused her to react with some extreme dizziness and throwing up until she has been dry heaving. And yeah, she did have tried out an anti nausea / motion sickness medication for that, however it have only postponed the reaction she has was about to have, and she still have had it. the medications have not stopped it.

WasyMe2000 regarding that information: oh yeah, I am aware that she is exceeding the recommended daily dosage (which they have even considered to lower more) and that it is a very dangerous thing and yeah, my wife also knows it either, we did have tried to inform ourselves regarding this as much as we could. however the pains that she is getting is extremely intense and she has no other way to deal with it all that is why she feels trapped.

WildKnight, as strange as it may sound to you and as popular as it might be… I have never heard about kratom before you mentioned it. if you said that this is a method that might help her out then I am sure that she is going to try it out since we left out with no other options, however I have to confess to you that I am pretty skeptical that it would work. No offend but not sure… I am having absolutely nothing against homeopathic treatments and I did have tried many of them myself (but never tried kratom though) for my own issues either, however I have only experienced and witnessed mildly helpful remedies that I am sure are barely enough to help my wife with her true very intense pains. However, she would still try it since you said that it is so good and so popular (indeed, a quick search showed that kratom is known world widely) and after that I am going to post back how it would work.

And lately Julieta, thank you very much for the advice with the opiates, however, besides the anti nausea and the anti motion sickness, she did have tried out antihistamines but unfortunately, it was with no luck at all so it won’t work, we know as we already tried it out.

But, either way, as I have already mentioned this, thank you all very much for your responses I truly appreciate a lot that you’ve tried to help me. if there is anybody else who has anything else I would be very glad to hear you all guys. so far, I deeply appreciate all that you have done for me.

EmmaHarded

Quiroz, I am one of those lucky ones who are having endometriosis just like your wife has (I guess you’ve got the sarcasm here..) and I also did have had surgeries, I have been on a lot of birth control pills as well and had a lot of injections and so on and so forth. Not so long ago, my ob gyn has given me some samples of Lysteda 650 mg (of tranexamic acid) and after battling with the cramps that I’ve been having, with some ER visits, with pain killers and so on and so forth, this medicine did actually finally helped me out, in the end :) I am very glad to report this information to somebody who is having the exact same problem that I have had and I really hope that it would be helpful for your wife either.

I happen to have a little bit of leaflet that is coming with the medicine either. “Lysteda is a prescription medicine that it is used to treat your heavy monthly period when your bleeding are getting in the way of the social, leisure as well as physical activities that you daily have. Regarding the hormones that I’ve seen you and your wife are both concerned about: you should not be worried here as lysteda is not containing any hormones (as well as it is not an opiate or derivate from opiate drug) having this said, I’m pretty sure that it is a drug that your wife truly searches for. Not sure how about you, but I think that Lysteda falls under all of your criteria and I truly think that your wife should give it a try. At least what your wife is having now is what I was having in the past (or at least extremely similar) and it was helped me a lot. it goes on from there, however basically, in case you are able to reduce the bleeding, you are able to reduce the pain your wife has.

Also, your wife would only have to take that medication during her period, it is not a drug that she would have to continue taking every day. she would take it when she would have her period and it would be that bad. It is not a pain killer medicine and it is also not a hormone or what other things are usually helping with those pain, however I think that it is truly a great alternative for your wife which, as I said, I think is falling under all of your criteria that you wrote earlier. and yeah, there is one other alternative medicine that it is often prescribed as well which is called Ponstel. I think that a doctor should decide which might be better for her. or she might try one and see how it works and then another one. it is up to your wife and her doctor. whatever the case I think that you’ve got to have her talk to her doctor about those 2 medicines whatever the case. I wish you good luck and I wish your wife to be free of pain because I know what’s that to have those pains. And yeah, do not forget to update how it goes.

Staub

“Staub thank you for the answer and for asking the question regarding what’s the bad reaction. Well, look for example: using 2 halves of a 5 mg of percocet, one at midnight and the other one at 3 am – it has caused her to react with some extreme dizziness and throwing up until she has been dry heaving. And yeah, she did have tried out an anti nausea / motion sickness medication for that, however it have only postponed the reaction she has was about to have, and she still have had it. the medications have not stopped it. “

Oh wow. it truly seems to me that your wife is very sensitive to the opiates. I think that you’ve got to tell her to aim for warm and fuzzy? I guess… if too much of opiates are making her sick then the pain relief does not go up as fast the sick once you are getting to the point. It does sounds to me like she should not be using anything more than hydrocodone or codeine, like for example a hydro 5 at time and no more than that, but since you said that her pains are really that bad it might not be enough for her so… not very sure. Try Emma’s advice… so far it seems the best to me, though I’m not an expert by far.