over 35 y.o. ttc?

Stephanie

hi there everyone. I just have registered here and I've done this because I wanted to say hi to you and to ask you for some help/ advices. or at least to share your situation and opinions. well, been ttc on and off for the last 3 years now. we have taken a break as we have been pretty worried about affording for me to be on the maternity leave. the thing is that age is already pushing on us. I am 37 years old (in January is my bday) and my husband is nearly 40 (he is going to be this summer) and that is why, we have made the decision that we just have to go for it. I mean, there's no more waiting time, we need to go for it and we just have to forget about the money thing and hope that it is somehow going to sort itself out (and although we know that it is not like that, we hope that we would just deal with it). so I wanted to ask you guys… is here someone who is in a similar situation as well? I wanted to talk with you so I would know what other people think about this?

I am now not very sure whether should I go to my GP for the tests as we did have tried for one full year but nothing has happened and now I'm concerned, of course, that we would try for another year and still nothing. what can you say? what you would do? what are your opinions? can any of you help? please!

MellyMac

hello there and welcome on the site. hope you're gonna get used here as soon as possible. answering the answer in your title: yes, I'm now 38 years old and we are currently trying to conceive (TTC). my partner is much older than me (9 years) - he is 47 and this is going to be the first baby for both of us. not so long ago I have had bloods done, I am now just waiting on his GP so he can sort his sample appointment out. but the thing is that they told us that the earliest possible appointment it is in 2 MONTHS, somewhere in JUNE!!! that's just so so frustrating! but anyway, it is obvious that I am just going to check everything I should check myself, my blood test results and the results… I would try to do everything required in the meantime in order to check if there is anything that I should be doing myself etc. etc. we're thinking about trying out in the meantime either (after I see what's going on with me) and if I get pregnant in the meantime, we won't even go, I suppose. so there's nothing to be worried about, just do it. a baby is always worth it. and in the terms of money…. we're in the exact same situation as you are, we probably cannot afford a baby right now but then again… seriously, when can you?! of course everything is gonna be alright. I see there are people with much less income and somehow they still manage to raise their babies!

Stephanie

well, I have ended up scheduling an appointment with my GP to visit him the next week and to have it ruled out. I just thought that I would be better get the ball rolling, just in case, you know? hope we're gonna do it. I also wanted to ask you, for how long you have been trying to conceive? I'm just really hoping that it wouldn't take too long until I would get pregnant, but unfortunately, there's something that makes me feel that it is going to be like that. oh… I would wish so much that my feeling is wrong…

and yes, I do agree with you, in terms of money (and I guess, anything) there is never the best time to have a child and we do know that we are going to struggle for a while financially but we still have decided that we just need to go for it and we will go for it. I just hope that we're gonna deal with it and that my feelings that I won't get pregnant soon is wrong. and I wish you good luck in getting pregnant as soon as possible… I think that having a baby is one of the most beautiful feelings in the world…

MellyMac

oh.. well… you know, in the past I have been on birth control pills and approximately one year ago I have stopped to take them anymore and you know… I have got pregnant very soon after I have stopped those pills, pretty much straight away… however… I have miscarried last July… ever since we have been trying (as you can see, it is a bit more than half a year) and so far nothing… that's really really frustrating, I know the feeling. plus to that, my cycles are being affected a lot by stress and this is why I have changed my job role because of this, I don't want to sacrifice with having a baby for a job. I was just thinking what things are more important for me and I've soon took the decision. also I should say that I hardly ever have any ewcm now and so I have purchased not so long ago some vitamins in attempt to stimulate this. I'm currently just trying to dtd when my app guesses are around my fertile period so…. it does make it a little bit less romantic but hey… we know why we do it.

and yeah, good luck to you too, hope we're both gonna do it!

Antaked

hi. I am nearly 41 years old and my husband is 39. we have been trying for a lot of time now (for the last 18 months) but have had tons of weight to lose! nearly down to the optimum weight… just have had a lot of bad luck with cold and tummy bugs this year!

and yeah, in terms of money - you are all definitely right! there's no perfect timing in regards of money so we are also going to struggle to afford a baby as well, but we just know that somehow we are going to manage and deal with it!

MorgoP

we have been trying to conceive for the last 2 years and even more than that. I'm currently 44 years old (my husband 45) and we started to think and try since I was 41 nearly 42 years old… this last August I have caught pregnant and I've been so so happy… but unfortunately I have lost it and since we're trying and trying with, unfortunately, no luck. I start thinking that I won't get pregnant, but I really hope that someday I will… not sure if I would continue trying after I would turn 45… we will see.