Pravachol's side effects

KenT

hey there everyone. as the title says I want to talk about side effects of Pravachol but in fact I want to talk about its side effects as I don't know which ones are they and I really think that I could get some help here. so, please, tell me what are the side effects of Pravachol, I would appreciate it a lot!

Fuleat

well, hi. I am going to try to help you

1. those patients with underlying liver disease may have an increased levels of serum transminase after the consumptions and may experience such health issues as: anorexia, malaise, precipitous decrease in the LDL levels (low density lipoprotein).

2. some minor increases in creatine kinase activity in plasma are being noticed in some patients as well. there are rare occurrences but still do exist when patients are having marked elevations in those levels. and if the drug is not being discontinued then rhabdomyilosys may very well cause myoglobinuria which can lead to renal injury.

3. among one of the most common symptoms that have been ever reported by those patients who are being treated with pravastatin have been the gastrointestinal side effects. however those symptoms tended to be quite mild and pretty transient in nature and pretty well controllable and resolved with continued therapy.

4. there are also some hematologic side effects as well which is including hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP), as well as leukopenia have also occurred with some HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. those are the effects that may be manifestations of a hypersensitivity reaction to the medication.

5. there are dermatologic side effects being reported from the pravastatin usage, these side effects are including the following: rash (from 0.9% to 4.0%) as well as a case report of bullous erythematous lesions. with a continuous usage with the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors the following health issues have occurred: stevens johnson syndrome, purpura, erythema multiforme, alopecia, photosensitivity as well toxic epidermal necrolysis.

6. and lately there are also some nervous system side effects as well of this drug pravastatin, among those side effects it is worth to mention the headaches (which occurred in between 0.6% and 6.2 % of patienets), dizziness, weakness, as well as drowsiness. but these are only the most common side effects that were reported by patients on this drug, there are also some other side effects reported by people taking it (and general side effects that were reported with HMG- CoA reductase inhibitors) which are having lower risk of occurrence: weight loss, paresthesias, memory loss, cranial nerve dysfunction, decline in cognitive function, vertigo, tremor, peripheral nerve palsy as well as peripheral neuropathy, and also fatigue. 

these are pretty much the side effects of that medication. I really hope that this is going to help you. good luck!

tameeka

those are correct side effects, and there is also: increased confusion, disorientation, forgetfulness,  transient global amnesia as well as aggravation of an pre existing senility. before taking such a drug you need to talk with a doctor which should prescribe it to you and also should explain the side effects as well. since you're here asking for side effects of the drug I guess you've been trying to take it without a doctor supervision which is not the best idea. good luck and stay safe!

MBernic

generally, the drug you're talking about is well tolerated by most people. adverse reactions have usually been quite mild and transient so you shouldn't be having big problems if you take it. the most common and usual side effects reported by people who take this drug are: vomiting, nausea, localized muscle pains, colds, diarrhea as well as headaches. hope this is going to be helpful for you. good luck!

P0tat0es

well, from as much as I know, pravachol is not being considered to be a powerful stating, however the appeal of this statin it is hydrophilic status which means that it is binding more readily to water than to fat and this is why, (or at least if believing in theory), it is much less likely to be associated with brain and memory side effects (though, as you can see in the side effects list described above, it still has such side effects).

well, now with many years of statin experiences that it is currently behind us, there are few clinicians that would surely argue the effectiveness of the statins in reducing the cardiovascular disease risk. I've seen such kind of discussions very often.

however, as the number of the patients on the statin medications has been increased lately and more side effects experience has been gained, it has now been better learned the fact that pravachol medication, despite its hydrophilic status, does well contribute substantially to the growing reports of the cognitive side effects like for example what has been said earlier by tameeka: 'increased confusion, disorientation, forgetfulness,  transient global amnesia as well as aggravation of an pre existing senility.'

and so now, the following are some of the reports that my medic friend have received from the readers regarding their own adverse reactions that has been associated with the fact of using this medication pravachol. he shared with me these reports since he knows how interested I am in all these things and that I'm very deep in medical community myself. anyhow, here they are:

1) Hello, I'm a 62 years old male and not so long ago I have had 2 stents put into my heart. my cholesterol number has never been reaching more than 137. well, I am currently in need to take the drug called Lipitor and those back cramps that I experience are completely unbearable for me. so that's why y doctor has changed my medication to Pravachol (*the med we're now talking about*) and to be honest… I am not sure if I want to use it after I have read your article about the sexual dysfunctions as well as erectile dysfunctions it can make you go through. I've been thinking about it and I have no idea if I should be using something that it is going to have such kind of an impact on my body (I honestly do not want to, I would only if it would be an absolute NEED to do so). I need to mention that I am not having a heart disease, however I still do know very well the importance of the drug therapy on such kind of a condition that I have. all that I am trying to say here is that I am only a little bit confused and I guess that the reason why I write you is that I need some help. maybe another talk with my doctor…

2) hey, in the past I was having problems with muscle pains in the time that I have been using Lipitor and then again with the Zocor. at that time I have then made a decision as to not take any other statin anymore. I am also having a history of some severe back issues as well. I've gotta say that I did have had surgery back in 2000 on my lower back. my disc had coated 4 inches of the nerve to my left leg and have had to be chipped away and I have had 3 tears in the dura as well as some leakage of my spinal fluid either…

after as long as 8 months full of physical therapy, I have then been rehabilitated with only minor nerve damage to my left leg and foot. then a bit more than 3 years ago I have also suffered another rupture of my disc in my lower back and I have went through another 4 years of continuous therapy, of nerve blocs as well as pain management too. what I am trying to say with all of this is that I only want to make the point that I am no stronger to pain and actually have a high tolerance as well, and that is why I do know very well what I am talking about each time when I am suing this awful word 'pain'.

Windsor

hello there, I am not very experienced and I doubt that I can help you with anything from my personal experience, however I can help you with what I've found online… quite sure you've found this as well but anyway… been thinking that it might help you or maybe other people being interested in pravachol, so here it goes:

firstly you might get severe allergic reactions (among them you need to notice: tightness in the chest, difficult breathing, rash, itching, hives, swelling of your tongue, mouth, face or lips); there are also possibilities to get changes in amount of the urine produced, color of urine changes (dark urine), chills, fever, or persistent sore throat as well as flu like symptoms, you could also get chest pain, muscle pain, weakness or tenderness (with or also without fatigue or fever), other side effects are severe stomach pains, pale stools, swollen, blistered, peeling or red skin, yellowing of the eyes or skin, vision changes and others. I would recommend you to go to doctor as soon as you start noticing any of the following side effects because they might be dangerous. so please take care if you start noticing any side effects while you take the medication. good luck and take care of yourself!