Prednisone help please

DonnaAKyle

hi everyone, I am a long time allergy sufferer and I would appreciate some help here. in fact, I am thinking that there are a lot of folks in the northeastern US who can relate on my problem. I've seen that there are a lot of people here who are experience some kind of a 'pollen tsunami' and this is the reason why my breathing it is a bit worse than normal. because of this I am constantly feeling like there is some kind of a wet sponge in my chest and I am always trying to draw breath through it. I have started to notice that it is just giving me some kind of an aggravating cough! I have already placed an order for my inhalers (maintenance as well as rescue) through an IOP now, however I was thinking that in the mean time to consider to use a short burst of prednisone hoping it would help (7 in the first day and after that to taper off, as it has been recommended and prescribed by my doctor). but, of course there is a problem (otherwise I most likely wouldn't be here now writing this) and the problem is that I hate nearly anything about it!!! I mean, all the effects it has on me - the moon face, the irritability… I mean… I am literally being turned into an uncontrollable PMS-ing woman, like I'm some kind of an constant she- hulk whenever when I am on this stuff, making me extremely aggressive and very easily irritable (even though I should mention here that the last time that I have been on it I was taking it for 4 months, and not only a week). but I tell you, it is so horrible that people were afraid of me! that's how big of a problem it is for me and how aggressive I've been on it! I can tell you that I have been on a lot of different and crazy medications over the period of some years (and even including one that has caused me to hallucinate either, being considered as a 'normal' side effect of that drug!), however none of them made me like the prednisone and that's why, to be honest, I would rather take any of them over the prednisone. I just keep on having some brief periods of time when that 'wet sponge' feeling that I was talking earlier and then I am thinking to myself 'see? I do not need to use the devil's drug (that's how I call it), after all'. however, it is obvious that then later it is coming back and I am looking at that bottle that it is full of steroids which makes me so aggressive once again. and that's even though I really hate it I mean I really hate the way it makes me feel while taking it. it is just the thing that I really love to breathe :D obviously :D

in the end... I am not very sure what kind of help (if any) I am expecting to get here… I am not even sure what to ask you people or if there are any advices for me… I guess that I mostly came here to rant… so thanks for reading, but if you do have any advices then I would gladly read them!

Silva

hi there DonnaAKyle. I can say that I can definitely sympathize and I can relate to your 'rant' very well!

I can tell you, I am having myself my share of medrol dose packs and it is to the point that I have often had to repeat again and again right after I have finished one. and to be honest, this makes me so sad, that's because this always makes me feel so disappointed, it makes me feel like I somehow failed to graduate off the dose pack on the first round so it makes me feel… like a loser or something.

and yeah, on the part of the steroids and how they can make you feel. omg, I can relate so well. in fact, I can tell you that I am having a saying when I am on the steroids: all I want to do it is just to eat, to cry and to yell at my husband! that's it! I could do it all 3 at once. eating, yelling at my husband (or whoever is near me) in the time I cry. I can remember so well one time when I have been on the steroids and the only thing that I have wanted in this world has been A9 - the pretzels in the vending machine slot that has been at A9 at my job. I remember I urged them so bad that I could give someone a million bucks to give me them if I had the money. but you know what was the problem? this has been on a saturday afternoon!!!! that was pure suffering. I have had absolutely no idea what the brand was and all that I could do has been to gesture wildly and through my tears to say: A9!!!

my boyfriend (who is now my husband, I guess because of this :D ) has got me little bags of every kind of pretzel available out there, and so he has found me my A9 (Synder's pretzel twists by the way). there are sometimes now when I am still requesting those pretzels (I really love them) by their other name, A9 :D

what I try to say is that hey… steroids are nothing to be messing around so you shouldn't be blaming yourself (although it is hard for me either sometimes).

DonnaAKyle

well, your boyfriend (now your husband) really sounds like he's definitely a keeper which I congradulate you with. I also know that my partner would do the same thing for me either (common- law husband, fiance, what have you). he's really caring about me and I try to take care of him either. as for example, I just kept him awake coughing last night… he has been thinking that I have been choking. he did got a bit scared. the steroids are surely doing whatever they need to do, no doubts, however they are also surely doing a lot much more either. and yeah, I am chuckling at the A9!! but I do know very well the feeling. I am not completely sure what a short course is going to do and I am also not all 100% sure of risking it either. anyway, now I guess that we've got to see what the day is gonna bring.

Brutbuly

hey… my brother is having cancer and his lungs are tumerous and he has it in many other places too… anyway, because of this cancer he has, he has also got a lung infection not so long ago and the doctors, obviously, gave him some antibiotics but in addition to those antibiotics they also gave him prednisone to take. we've all been really shocked to see that it has completely cleared his severe psoriasis. I mean, we never expected or thought that this is gonna work that way but it did. and it really amazed us all when we saw that it has completely cleared that up. now I'm just wondering whether is it gonna stay cleared up for a long time or not and it would return. whatever the case, it is still fine.

char lotte

oh, Silva, thank you very much… just what an amazing story to share here! I will surely keep remembering it… in fact, now, when things are going to get to be already too much then I am going to think to myself about A9 and I am going to remember this amazing story you shared here and I will surely smile. all thanks to you, this is why I can say that your story already is very helpful, when something makes someone smile, at least once, that's already worth it.

also wanted to say… DonnaAKyle, I am really sorry as I am not very sure and I don't really know very much about what the steroids can do, however one thing that I do know for sure is that breathing is crucial and yeah… I think that you must do whatever it takes to… keep on breathing… that is why I sure thing feel for ya'. I'm just sorry that you have to use something to simply breath but it gives you side effects. I really hope a lot that they are going to soon prescribe you something else that is going to work exactly as good (or, if possible, even better) but it is not going to have the side effects that prednisone has… and no side effects at all. I wish you all the best and hope you're gonna be fine, I send to you my prayers and good thoughts.

valentina

hi DonnaAKyle. first off, let me tell you that I am very sorry for your sufferings, I hope that you would find that something which would help you and won't have any side effects on you.

now, I can tell you that I am on methylprednisolone and I have also been on prednisone many times in the past for inflammation and about 90% of the entire time it (in fact, they) do help me very well with the inflammation that I am getting from my arthritic flare up. however, I can tell you that in the meantime I am transforming in something that Hulk seems to be a bunny near me. I am feeling in such a way that I want to rip off somebody's face, I am feeling EXTREMELY irritable, sometimes I can be irritated because something stays 2 millimeters apart from how I want it to be, I'm having restless legs as well as temper on top of a temper anyway- they do perfectly works for me. however, it is a nasty side effects for me, no doubts. the problem is that I am feeling all of that right now.

so I find it quite funny that you have made this thread here now and that it is because I just have got off the phone with my rheumy because I have been telling him as I if I am crawling out of my skin right now with all of the above symptoms that I have shared. I can tell you that initially, he wanted me to take prednisone on a long term but oh NO, there's absolutely no way that I would do it. I just can't live with such feeling. ok, I did agreed that I will do the 5 day BS, however I wouldn't ever take it for a long term and you would be better to give me some diazepam or something than this thing, because it really sucks badly. maybe for someone this is different and maybe someone else can benefit from it without getting the side effects, but unfortunately I am not like that. plus to that, I can tell you that he also has me on Soma as well as on GABA but these things are not able (or maybe not enough, not sure) to remove the restless I have, the extreme irritability, my spasms, wanna clock someone BS. I wish you all the best and I hope you're gonna deal with it. I also hope that they would make something else which would work for both of us without these xtremely horrible side effects.

FlynnFly

hello there everyone.

sadly but I can't answer your question OP, I hope you've found your answers among other people's posts. I just came here because I have other questions to ask such as… it is a script for this thing needed? I mean, I have seen prednisone being advertised but I am not sure whether it requires a script or not.

also, I am not very sure but I really hope that this is the right place to post this. best wishes.

noweley

hi there. yes, prednisone, prednisolone as well as methylprednisone ( and any other related corticosteroids out there) are requiring a valid prescription if you are trying to get them from an USA pharmacy legally. which I recommend you to do. however, if you are searching to buy one without a script for whichever the reason you might need it, you are going to need an OP (online pharmacy) or, more likely, you are going to need to go for an IOP (international online pharmacy).

if you are planning to take it yourself without a doctor script or anything, I recommend you to read as much as you can about the drug so you could avoid doing any mistakes. I also recommend you reading about IOPs in general so you could know what to expect etc. and lately, just try to get a good source which means that, again, you have to read and research. I wish you all the best.

RichardP

hey guys… I guess I have missed this part BUT… damn… how in the hell does anybody get any sleep when you are using this crap? you said you take it for a few days, 5 days, one week etc. do you sleep at all in this time? if you do, how? please tell me how you sleep!

I personally am using it for gout mostly and I usually am using prednisone. this time I am being self scripted - via a video doctor online which is being covered by my insurance (well, at least something) and I simply have told him what to write me.

but this is crap that I just can't deal with… I have not slept normally in days now! well… maybe just except for like 12 hours one day after I have used 50 mg of amyl something or other, as well as klonopin and crap. but surely that was not much better…. I don't know how you feel but this really sucks, and if you are having MS it is like constant on this sh*t! plus to that, unfrotunately, it is not helping me at all with my allergies and that is why, I am just still having all that to just try to get rid of gout and then to get back to my dancing lessons…

Monique

I do know what you talk about RichardP… I am now using it for my severe allergies and I can feel for you. I am using only a quarter of the dosage that has been prescribed to me by my doctor and I am still wired. the full dosage is… I just can't find the right words.. surely, the sinus pressure is now gone, however as you said, getting any sleep on this thing is near to impossible so I just cannot sleep… and this really sucks because the level of my pains is shooting up!

liberty

hey, I would appreciate a bit of insight here regarding prednisolone. there is Comneslone (Prednisolone) which is from Combitic manufacturer in India and I am now wondering whether anyone here has ever used them in the past?! if you did, can you please tell me what kind of effects you have had from using it? thank you very much in advance. I have also been thinking to contact them (and I tried to), but so far I am having no luck… does anybody knows why? I just wanted to ask the inactive ingredients as well. is here anyone who can tell me how to find out the inactive ingredients? I am not living in India and so I am not very sure if I can find this out. please, I would appreciate any help in regards to this, any information would be appreciated. best of luck.

kenrider

hey all, can you, please, tell me whether are people using prednisone every day for long periods of time or no? I mean, is this allowed at all? I did have heard about this in the past but I am not sure how true this is. I also know that elderly people can be put on this thing to strengthen them up, however from as much as I know (or think) this is typically for some relatively short periods of time. I just can't find an certain answer online so I thought that maybe you could help me a bit on this? thank you.

Lisssa

hi, yes, they can be taken for long term. prednisone as well as some other corticosteroids out there are being used sometimes long term by some patients for a variety of different reasons. they are being given for long term but only if that's needed. people who are having certain autoimmune diseases may be prescribed those types of drugs as they need since they are having a powerful anti inflammatory as well as immunosuppressive properties. there are people who have had solid organ transplant and these people very often are using prednisone as a part of the immunosuppressive that it is enabling their bodies to tolerate the transplanted organs. so, usually, people who had transplanted organs must take them for a while, for a longer period… in regards of the side effects, they, usually (alas, not always), are being related to the dose of the prednisone given and they are, obviously, less intense at lower doses. this is why, the bigger the dose, the higher chance that you would have side effects and that they would be hard to deal with.

Lisssa

hi, yes, they can be taken for long term. prednisone as well as some other corticosteroids out there are being used sometimes long term by some patients for a variety of different reasons. they are being given for long term but only if that's needed. people who are having certain autoimmune diseases may be prescribed those types of drugs as they need since they are having a powerful anti inflammatory as well as immunosuppressive properties. there are people who have had solid organ transplant and these people very often are using prednisone as a part of the immunosuppressive that it is enabling their bodies to tolerate the transplanted organs. so, usually, people who had transplanted organs must take them for a while, for a longer period… in regards of the side effects, they, usually (alas, not always), are being related to the dose of the prednisone given and they are, obviously, less intense at lower doses. this is why, the bigger the dose, the higher chance that you would have side effects and that they would be hard to deal with.

CHUkue

yes prednisone can be taken daily for some longer time periods than just a few days. I used to take a small amount of it every day myself. it has been prescribed to me by an allergist who has called it to be an nearly 'homeopathic dose' saying that this is not going to hurt me long term. I can say that he has been a really straight laced doctor and so, I have been pretty well surprised that he would even try anything homeopathically, to be honest… either way, since then I have moved and that's why I, evidently, switched to another allergist now and this one is not believe in such kind of things… however, I can tell you for sure that the quality of my life has been all turned around by the first doctor which is why I am so thankful to him. so yeah… hey can be given and usually they are really helpful either. and now I am just keep on continuing to visit an allergist, this keeps me pretty comfortable for the most part.

as for now, I am just occasionally doing a cycle approximately once a year for the sinus infections/ polyps. and I'm all fine. I can tell you that it is not really bothering me very much, or at least, not as much as it bothers other people out there. in fact, I can tell you that I am occasionally feeling nicely energized when I am using it. so yeah, I do like it pretty well.

Auntudgeou

well… I am sorry to see that many people haven't really benefited from taking prednisone or that you had/ still have side effects from using it… for me it is slightly different in terms that it did help, but it was the same in terms of side effects… what I try to say is that this prednisone used to be the only medicine for me that could break me out of an exacerbation of an old whiplash injury, however there were all of those side effects to deal with which usually had shortened the treatment for me and plus to that, the doctor did not wanted me to be on more than just one or maybe 2 courses per year. but then I luckily have moved to a 'medical' state and I have gained access to CBDs and now I am finding them to be a superior anti inflammatory than the steroids and the only side effect for me is smiles.