problems to breath OUT

TimeTim

I am having an medical question which, being a former medic as well as medical 'aficionado', really should know or at least be able to research on my own and I do know this very well. but the thing is that I am currently not really in the mood not to conduct a proper research but the main reason here is that I am being more curious to find out whether or not there are any other respiratory experts out there or some medical personnel on this site who can help me and can share their opinion. since I've seen that here are some really good experts on different and various topics (a conclusion I made reading through the posts) - I thought that there might be some experts on this topic either.

so well, today my sister have had her open house and I have been gently asked and got the task to blow up balloons. so, of course, not a big problem (not at all - should be) so I grabbed my first balloon and after I have put a really great deal of effort (what it seemed to me and assuming how I was feeling and how much I tried), I have been able to blow up only one and that's about the half of the size of the high school girl that was also been tasked to blow up balloons who was sitting next to me doing the same thing. then I went on and I have grabbed the second one and the first part of that balloon it seemed that it blew up more easily and quickly (all in the first breath expelled), however, after that, it doesn't matter how much or how hard I have been trying to do it, my cheeks were only puffing out a bit of air and mostly made some kind of a funny noise. of course, everybody heard it and it have been pretty funny to everybody else but definitely it wasn't funny to me. for me it has been really disturbing and not to say how awkward I was feeling because of this sound I made. but it is not just the sound… it is the fact that here I am now writing this being ashamed of myself taking in consideration that I have quit smoking a little bit less than 2 years ago, I am only 32 years old and I am having one hour of aerobic exercise every single day 7 days a week and nevertheless - I am still not able to blow up one simple balloon. I don’t need to ask whether is there something wrong with me because I do know that there IS something wrong with me, however I just want to find out to which extend. I mean, not being able to blow up a simple balloon isn't normal and that's doubtless, however not always it is a sign of being concern, I guess, and that's why I am here - should I be concerned or not? what do you, respiratory experts or maybe other medical personnel can say about this?

I guess this is obvious… after that I just have found myself an excuse to walk away from the balloons and not to blow them anymore without causing even more embarrassment and awkward situations like that one (and again, needless to say that everybody understood that it was just an excuse)… talking about my smoker past I can tell you that I have smoked for 10 years but to be honest I have never thought that this had caused permanent damage to my lungs and my breathing. I mean, even if it did - not THAT much of a damage not to be able to blow up a balloon. I mean, although I smoked - I still tried to have at least a bit of a healthy life. plus, as I said, nearly 2 years ago I have already quit. but I still find it all really strange because even in the time that I was still smoking it has never stopped or ruined or whatever else my ability to run, or at least not to the extent that I could judge it. as I said, even if smoking for those 10 years did affected me (and yeah, I do understand that it did had at least some effects) - it haven't really affected me THAT much. or at least that is what I used to think until I got that balloon. but I was mostly thinking like that because in some other words, subjectively, even in the time that I have been daily smoking, I was still doing 5K and 10K fun runs. and I honestly tell you that I have always finished in some respectable times… it was nothing like when I have ran cross country in high school, however it has been enough that I have felt satisfied that my respiratory system has not been compromised.

back in the time when I have been working in an acute care clinic in the hospital when I have been in the Army I do remember that there were people who came in having some kind of medical condition and even though I can't be really sure as I never was a big expert since lot of time have passed and I might have forgotten something, but I think that it has been called emphysema. again, I am not very sure so I might be wrong and that's why sorry if I say something wrong. whatever the case, I just remember that it has been a condition in which the patients have had very little or some of them no trouble at all to breathe air IN, however those people have had some big problems (some really big issues, others just a bit) to expel the air OUT from their lungs. they were easily getting the air in their lungs but needed to put a great deal of effort to expel it out. that was the first time when I saw that such kind of medical condition even exists. anyway, I remember that the force with which those people were able to expel the air from their lungs have been measured with a peak flow meter. well, I did smoked during that time and being young and rather stupid, we would just test each other with those peak flow meters - mostly just for fun when there was nobody around and nobody "checked" us, that's just to make ourselves feel a little bit better and sometimes to simply waste medical resources.

oh well, the joke's on me. I even find it kind of ironic… I am really quite afraid of what that peak flow meter would show now if I would ran it on me. I really interested… is there any other ex smoker out there who ever noticed to have a similar trouble? I mean, I noticed that I have troubles blowing up balloons, but I thought that maybe there are people who even got more serious problems like getting it hard to get the air out form their lungs when they try to simply breathe, not to blow up balloons? is there somebody who noticed something similar? although I do realize that this is a problem, do you think that it is a really worrisome problem? I mean, do you think that I need to be worried enough in order to mention this thing at my next doctor's appointment? to ask him to run some tests on me? like for example the peak flow meter? my next appointment would be in 2 weeks but the thing is that I am already having 2 different problems to mention to my GP and this would be the third one. but I do know that doctors are really hating when there is somebody who is addressing multiple issues at the same visit so I guess that he would be really pissed off if I would ask him about the third problem (he wouldn't really like that I have 2 different problems, not talking about 3 of them). I am not really sure what to do and that's mostly because I am not sure how big of a problem this might be and that's why I am now here, a little bit of your help guys would be really great. thank you!

Christopher20

so well, hi there TimeTim and I just want to apologize from the very beginning since I doubt that I am going to help you with much but I still wanted to post here since I am an ex smoker as well and I am way older than you are. I also can say that I had my father living with me for his last 3 years and he have been suffering from COPD and he has smoked for a lot of years. when it became a really really big problem (smoking) he gave it up, however it was already too late so I have seen him die of pneumonia. my father passed away at 88 years old, however I am nearly sure that if he had not been a smoker then he might have lived for like 100 years.

anyway, what is your issue now as a pretty young man I obviously am not able to tell you, however I can't think that this is a too serious issue yet. but again, this is just my opinion. and yeah, TimeTim, another thing is… I am a retired RN and this is why I do have a little bit of knowledge about the respiratory issues as a whole, just not my personal experience with my father. as you said, you smoked for 10 years and odds are that you haven't really done very much damage to your lungs. I do agree with this. plus, you are young at 32 and that's why… I would be really surprised to see if you had done some major damage to your lungs or if you have some major lungs problems. but again, this is my opinion and nothing more. it is still always better to get it all checked … you know… better safe than sorry.

AngelinaCinder

hey TimeTim, I do know that this is going to sound off the wall (or what it would seem to you or/and most people here), however I think that you should not just quickly dismiss it unless you are going to feel all certain about it. well, when I have been in labor, my breathing has been really futile, my checks have been blowing out. I broke some blood vessels in my face however I was not really accomplishing really much, after everything has been said and done, I did not use my diaphragm. the energy I was having has been exerted primarily neck on up. and yeah, this may be unrelated, not sure, however based on the description that you written up there, it has triggered a memory so I decided to write this down. wish you all the best. 

Refes1989

well, I carefully read this part:

back in the time when I have been working in an acute care clinic in the hospital when I have been in the Army I do remember that there were people who came in having some kind of medical condition and even though I can't be really sure as I never was a big expert since lot of time have passed and I might have forgotten something, but I think that it has been called emphysema. again, I am not very sure so I might be wrong and that's why sorry if I say something wrong. whatever the case, I just remember that it has been a condition in which the patients have had very little or some of them no trouble at all to breathe air IN, however those people have had some big problems (some really big issues, others just a bit) to expel the air OUT from their lungs. they were easily getting the air in their lungs but needed to put a great deal of effort to expel it out.
</p><p> </p><p>and I think that this would be emphysema type COPD (which is also known as Pink Puffers). the main and biggest sign is the severe shortness of breath in the time of exercising - this is the way how it is usually starting and then it is all being followed by a lowering of the exercise threshold tolerate (since the shortness of breath is getting more and more severe) as this disease is growing and progressing. it might not be a really big problem at your age, but it might be later so I would say that this is very good that you have quit smoking. even if you really do have some ""lungs related issue"" at least you know that you are not 'feeding' that issue with cigarettes.</p>

AbsoluteSeiz

oh TimeTim, yeah, I do perfectly understand what you are talking about as I have been in the exact same boat as you are. you asked to find out if there are other ex smokers with troubles breathing out. well, I have been a smoker for about 22 years and I have quit smoking for at least 7 years now. exactly as you, it didn't seemed to affect me that much (even though after 20 years I started to notice some troubles) up until the exact same moment as you - until I had to blow up balloons. I had to blow them up for my kids birth day a few years ago but exactly as you - I faced the same problem of not being able to blow them up. at least I was lucky that I was not in front of anybody so since I was all alone nobody saw my failure (and I'm sorry that it happened in a room full of people to you). anyway, I've seen that it is a really big problem for me to do so and I just asked my kids to blow them up later in that day. whatever the case I do know this feeling of failure, I am just very sorry to hear that this has happened to you in front of other people. at least I got this failure all alone… but yeah, what's strange is that as you said - this balloon blow up thing seem to be the problem only as I am still running marathons every weekend and I am working out with absolutely no breathing issues at all! we're playing sports with our friends and I was always there among the first ones. also I'm working out without ever feeling any kind of shortness of breath or anything. generally, I have never had one problem since that balloon thing. and yeah… since that day I have never tried to blow up another one since then and I am not sure if I would ever try… maybe just to try to experiment when, again, I am going to be all alone. but anyway, as you said… this also makes me think that this is due to us smoking. in fact… talking about this now it really makes me wanna go and get a balloon just to check if I could do it right now and blow that damn thing up :D if I would do it I would just make sure that there's no one around me. of course I can't know whether this would be of some help to you or not but whatever the case I only wanted to let you know that you are not the only one with this problem so maybe this would make you feel at least a bit better. best of luck ;) 

Suffes

oh well… if that's just a recent and new occurrence that has happened to you then I can tell that we're both in the same situation as I am able to relate some very similar circumstances that I have been as of recent and it just doesn't feel right at all. exactly as you, I am also working our very regularly. I am exercising religiously - never missing a day or anything in this matter and I work out both strength training and aerobic as you. even though I have been exercising at the exact same pace, out of a sudden I have started to notice that my breathing has been getting more and more labored in some certain activities that I was having. of course I got interested in why is this happening and I even got a bit scared. I have went to ER where they first of all have been thinking that it is pneumonia (their first suspicion), however after a bit of tests etc. etc. it has turned out that I am not having any pneumonia but that's a quite large blood clot which had traveled from my leg (not sure how they determined that it developed in my leg but whatever) to my lung (and so this is pulmonary embolism/ thrombosis). the medication that I have been given for this thing and my body has fixed that blood clot in a couple of weeks and I was all fine, however I still have had to stay on the warfarin for one year and a half (exactly 18 months). what I am trying to say with this is that sometimes you might want to get it checked and that's very good that you started to research on this. I am not sure why your doc would be upset on you for bringing up some multiple medical issues that you are concerned. that's his job. his job is to take care of your concerns. anyway, I think that you may want to investigate this quite possible cause for yourself. this would be at least a bit helpful. 

CharlsK

I have been a smoker for a lot of years but I have also stopped smoking a lot of years ago either. I mean, I have smoked for about 20 years ago I have stopped about 20 years ago either (I am now 64 years old). I am having asthma and allergies. the issues with breathing out is also able to happen with asthma, however very usually it would be accompanied by issues of breathing IN, mostly. whatever the case, when I have went to my doctor treating allergies (allergist) he has always had me to use a peak meter too. I remember that my readings have been varying quite a little bit but from as much as I know, I am not having emphysema nor COPD, or at least I am not aware of them. but I am quite sure that the doctors would get them if I would have either one. but I do know that allergies are able to constrict the lungs (I am getting hay fever) so maybe this might be something that you should look into. maybe you also have some allergies which are stopping your lungs from getting air out?!

TimeTim

hey, thanks for answering. thank you all for answering, I really appreciate all of your responses. I surely found some useful answers.

CharlsK, I have to say that I am also having quite some bad allergies as well. I am using flonase and zyrtec for it but it is only partially controlling my allergies… in order to really stop the drainage, I am just about to get a dosage that is going to be 3 times or maybe even 4 times of my usual dosage and/ or to use some multiple medications (like for example I am thinking of allegra taking with zyrtec and with claritin as well). I do know that I can never completely stop from taking it at all! a good part of thing (I do know) it is from the damage that I have got to my nose because I have been a drug abuser a lot of years ago (yeah, drug abuse damaged my nose like that)…

damn this smoking thing… I really hate that I ever picked up a cigarette… I have went about 2 years without smoking a cigarette and it was a hard battle but it seemed to me like this is over since 2 years I haven't smoked. then, a few days ago I have had some really really strong wish (kind of a first day cravings) for a cigarette. I thought that having a cigarette after 2 years won't be such a big criminal thing so I have purchased a pack and I smoked that pack in 3 days…. yeah… I know… only a cigarette… needless to say that now I want a cigarette once again… ough. now I am wondering whether is this battle with the addiction is ever going to get over? once addicted - always addicted, I guess. no way to get out of this thing. kind of a like a closed circle and when you seem to be far away from addiction - you're just reaching it once again. that's why there are times when I am thinking that this addiction is ending only when you're dead. until then that would be an endless battle I guess. but at least it seems that breathing has not gotten any worse and that's good enough.

just thank you guys once again for all of your responses, as I said - I really really appreciate it very much!

malefick

as you have mentioned - that must be something that has to do with your past of smoking. but again - as you said, it shouldn't be such of a big problem to cause you really big damage. I also think that since you have stopped smoking it should be getting better. maybe it has possibly something to do with the lack of aerobic and cardiovascular exercise, doing it might get it a little bit better. just my opinion… whatever the case, I have seen somebody out there saying that you need to talk with your doctor about it when you feel that there's something wrong. since you already felt that there is something wrong then you need to talk with him NOW! I did read the part when you said that your doctor doesn't like to address multiple problems at one visit. so, schedule 3 visits in 3 days in a row and no problems then. otherwise make him listen. you never know what's in there without addressing the problem to a doctor so it might end up to be some kind of a lung infection that might grow in time or maybe something else that is serious. although I also doubt about it - you just never know. so I wish you good luck and I hope you'll get it treated! 

CharlsK

you're welcome TimeTim. we just hope that this would be helpful for you.

and yeah, I did have used flonase as you and I do know what's that. for me it really did help me well, however then I have lost insurance and dropped it, unfortunately. I always seem to have some kind of nasal blockage (it is strange) and it really doesn't matter what I am trying. that's why I say that it is strange. nothing helps and it is always there. really annoying…

and yeah… thank you very much for that last part on smoking and battle with smoking addiction. thank you very much for that smoking bit. I am really sorry for you that I have picked up once again and I just hope that you'll stop it now as you do understand that the sooner you do it - the easier it is. but anyway, at least this is just a really amazing reminder for me on how powerful smoking actually is and how you can get trapped down within a matter of seconds to have just one single cigarette. but yeah, addiction indeed is very powerful and I really do not think that it is ever going away as you said…. this battle is over only when you're dead, surely. as long as you live - you always have to fight off the temptation. oh… if only there was a pill for doing that and getting rid of the addiction… that would be such a fortune. thanks again for everything!