Taking too much antioxidants?? It is bad?

GMiC

Recently I started to think about how bad are antioxidants for our health. Actually I don’t know if they are bad, this was my question about. I started to use some types of antioxidants some years ago. I’m currently taking antioxidant called OP3 which you can find in a powder form. I was always taking antioxidants without any troubles, but some days ago I started to ask myself if too much antioxidants are good or bad for my health. Okay, obviously I’m not talking about the antioxidants that you can take from fruits or veggies; I’m talking about those types of antioxidants that are kind of supplements for our health. I have heard something while I was watching on a TV show where a person discussed about antioxidants and he told a story about how after some years of administration he observed that his health is becoming gradually worse.

It sounds strange but this started to make me feel worried and concerned about my health and what waits me in the future. I use antioxidants for more than 2 years and after this story I don’t know if I have to do it more and if I should continue to use them. I usually use powder antioxidants that you can mix with water and drink it. Another question that is also interesting for me is to find out if multi vitamin are good too and it there could be too much for my body which could lead to an negative effect? I think that there are so many people that are overdoing with all these stuff that maybe even doesn’t know about this, and I’m almost sure that some of disease that we have could be because of this. It can be, because we use antioxidants and when we feel sick we search all the possible things that could provoke our disease but we don’t pay attention to things we consider that are good for our health. It’s normal I thing, everything that is considered to be good for our health and for our welfare we don’t think that is supposed to change our health condition and sometimes to a worse condition. Thanks God we live in a time where we can find such a thing very easily in the internet and million types of information, forums and comments about all the stuff that we need.

A little bit about antioxidants for those who doesn’t know what this is. The better way to explain is to give you an example. First of all think that our bodies is going through different types of pollution every day, some of these pollution are made because of the environment and because of the place that is polluted. Another pollution in our body are provoked because of our life choices that we make, I’m talking about the fact that most of us are smoking, eating different processed or fast foods, also there’s stress, not sleeping enough is another factor… All of these are very harmful for our bodies and it is even more worse than you think. Obviously as all of us know our body has a thing that we can call “purification system” which is important in order to survive. Just imagine what would be to eat all the things that you want, to smoke and to do all other types of wrong things with a body that can’t detoxificate itself. We’ll die, obviously and we’ll die pretty soon after doin’ it. That’s why there exist such things as good and bad radicals in our body. Good radicals are created by things called antioxidants that are as engine for our purification system that provide the possibility to work better and to eliminate those toxins that were introduced in our bodies.

Anyway there are different types of antioxidants such as there exist different types of engines. The natural antioxidants are really good for our health, but the biggest part of people don’t love to eat veggies and fruits that’s why people invented the artificial antioxidants that are a “lower quality engine”, at least that’s how I’m calling them. I understand very well that using natural antioxidants are better and I understand that it will be better to change this habit. But I would like to make other people understand that want to try these types of artificial antioxidants why they should avoid it. I’m by far not the biggest expert in these things but after some years of administration I suddenly understood that even if these antioxidants are made to help out our health actually they have some chemicals, and if we use them frequently they could damage our health pretty bad. I’m not sure how they damage it and I can’t explain all the process but I’m pretty sure they do it which is why we should be more prudent and careful about it. So, I’m here to open the question about antioxidants, to warn other people before they start to use antioxidants, and to find some other information about antioxidants. I really want to know your opinion. What do you think, am I right? Really exciting and waiting for your answers!

miranda2

Hmm, hey there, to be honest with you I didn’t read all the things that have you wrote up there, I just read the question about this and I can say that if you are really interested about this then there are a lot of things in google. Personally I have heard about the damages that some vitamins and minerals could provide to us since I was a little boy by my mother. I don’t know if you’re aware but if you take for example Vitamin E more than it normally should be taken then you can have intoxication of it (even though it is Vitamin!), and I know for sure that all the stuff even if good stuff that we use take, or that is made to help our health in big quantities are very bad for our health in the end. There are a lot of things that can be associated with this example, and even if antioxidants are good for our health if you are going to use them more that it has to be used then you would damage some part of your body for sure. Everything in this world has to be in balance and if you would ruin this balance something would be bad. And you can be sure about it. in fact, there are some other things that we consider bad for our health but if we don’t have them then it’s bad. For example nicotine, it is considered bad right? but if we don’t keep it in balance then it would also be bad for our health.

Tplus

Not really people! This is our problem, the problem that we can’t understand. In fact yes they damage but the thing is that it’s our fault if they damage our health. All the antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other stuff that exist were made in order to improve our health and if someday you would find out that there is happening something bad because of antioxidants then be sure that this is because there is something that you do wrong.  There are so many different types of antioxidants, and they all are made in order to be consumed rationally. By rationally I mean to use them with variation. Obviously some of you can say that their doctor told them that they don’t have enough vitamin C and that’s why they have to high the intake of this vitamin, that’s true, but the only thing that we forget all the time is that you don’t have to concentrate just on this type of vitamin. I have seen so many examples of people that do such things. If they have a lower level of vitamin C they use just, lemons, kiwi all the citrus fruits and they just forget about other types of vitamins that exists and that SHOULD be taken. That’s wrong, that’s so wrong. Talking about your case, you said that you use OP3 if you really need to take it then you don’t have to forget that there are other types of antioxidants that you need to use too and another thing is to use more of natural antioxidants. I think that they can damage just in case you use just artificial antioxidants, I mean powder antioxidants. In case you use just this type of antioxidant and in case you eat clear and eat your veggies and fruits then you can be sure that nothing will happen to you and that everything would be super fine. at least that’s only my opinion.

Garofalo

I think that’s a stupid question, honestly. If antioxidants were made in order to provide and to encourage your health then you can stay relaxed because it will work like it has to. I have never heard about people that have eaten many veggies and fruits and that they started to feel bad. I think it’s the same thing about antioxidants like powder ones. They are just made more concentrated in order to help those people that really can’t receive enough type of one vitamin or mineral. I’m pretty sure that things about dosage are things that are not related to antioxidants. I consider that there is just one bad thing that can happen while administrating antioxidants. I think that the only thing that can make you feel bad is to use all the antioxidant powder in one day. I think that none of normal people will do this thing.. that’s why you can stay relaxed about this thing. The only thing that I would like to recommend you is to eat more veggies and fruits if you are really worried to administrate artificial antioxidants, only natural and only good feelings.